The Amazing Spider-Man, on Blu-Ray/DVD Nov. 9, 2012

areaseven

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw it. Great movie all around. Don't go in expecting dark knight, as it's more on the popcorn flick side of things. Faster pacing than the older Toby version, but you will definitely feel the de ja vu. Vastly different story and values though.

Not really specifics as much as overall feel things, but I spoiled tagged the following anyways.

Garfield portrays spidey as more of a rebellious, youthful, and intellectually average character as compared to Toby's witty and friendly (and fairly intelligent) counterpart.

I don't know how accurate either is as I don't read the comics but you definitely get a more vigilante feel from Garfield than you do from Toby.

Lastly, I was slightly dissappointed by the amount of time spent exploring new powers. It's more of "I got powers, lets use them" ordeal. The whole power development is portrayed in a 5 minute segment demonstrating Garfield's rapidly developing skating ability.

Good movie all around though.

I was surprised when watching the trailers and found Borris from "Royal pains" playing Peters father.

Yeah, I noticed that too....love Borris. :D

Chris

Saw it last week. Was surprisingly unimpressed.

Plot felt bloated yet plotting seemed strictly by the numbers. Aunt May was terribly cast and overall the film just didnt feel like it needed to exist IMO.

SFX and action were of the expected high quality but apart from that, the only real highlights of the film for me were Martin Sheen and Denis Leary.

I kinda hope that this flops so the rights revert to Marvel and they can work spiderman into their expanded movie universe.

Saw it last week. Was surprisingly unimpressed.

Plot felt bloated yet plotting seemed strictly by the numbers. Aunt May was terribly cast and overall the film just didnt feel like it needed to exist IMO.

SFX and action were of the expected high quality but apart from that, the only real highlights of the film for me were Martin Sheen and Denis Leary.

I kinda hope that this flops so the rights revert to Marvel and they can work spiderman into their expanded movie universe.

So, am I justified in screaming out "Bring back Toby" during trailer screenings in movie theaters?

You know what? I actually prefer Andrew Garfield over Toby Maguire as Spidey. This new movie has a more heroic feel to it, plus Garfield really plays out the comical side of Spidey, which was severely lacking in Maguire's version.

And Emma Stone is hot, but you already knew that.

Saw it last night. Quite enjoyed it. Should probably ensure that the franchise gets another three films before it falls over again.

Great Stan Lee cameo, BTW.

Well, early numbers seem to be telling a different story:

‘Spider-Man’ Opens Foreign With $50.2M: Bigger Than ‘Avengers’ In Some Markets

We'll see how things look starting tomorrow.

Actually, thats exactly what I expected, given that Sony is pouring so much marketing budget at Asian markets (like its home market of Japan) where not only are the heroes in Avengers little-known, the movie hasnt even been released yet. Spider-man is guaranteed to outperform batman here too (Dark Knight didnt crack the top 10 in japanese cinemas).

Doesnt change the fact that I felt the film was lackluster and unnecessary though...but hey, to each their own.

It's a different story in the Philippines. The Avengers was sold out for two weeks during April and May. On the other hand, while movie theaters expected the same crowd for The Amazing Spider-Man, there are plenty of empty seats up for grabs. The country is a Marvel-heavy crowd, and in recent years, fans prefer Iron Man (and Hawkeye, more recently) over Spider-Man.

saw it. loved it. Thought it was a HUGE improvement in tone, story, cast, acting and visuals from the raimi spider-man movie.

There's plenty of things to nit pick about the movie and most of the whiny bitchfests surrounding the movie are deserved but so what? It was fun, it had heart, it was a great way to reboot the franchise.

I enjoyed it quite a bit too.

I watched Raimi's first movie last Saturday, to have it fresh in my mind. "Amazing" is certainly superior from a technical perspective (quite a few of the special effects in Raimi's are showing some age). Character-wise, I thought "Amazing" had a 100% better supporting cast, and Gwen was a more interesting female lead than MJ was. I also found Maguire's Peter to be more than a little stiff, and the humour hokey and forced. You could criticize Garfield's Peter as too much in the emo vein, especially if you don't relate well to that, but he gets points for a more emotionally vested portrayal, and certainly the humour was much truer to Spidey's style in the comics, which I definitely enjoyed. I thought Doc Conners slid too quickly into the evil scientist role, losing the opportunity to get more into his character and make him a more rounded villain. I'd say Willem Dafoe as Osborn was a better villain, but Conners/The Lizard was superior to the Raimi Green Goblin. Once the Goblin armour shows up, I just disconnect.

Heard they botched the "with great power comes great responsibility" part. Is that true? If any super hero carries a message that is worth something and can easily be shown is Spider-man. Pretty good advise that applies to all people and not just people bitter by radioactive animals.

If people with political, economic, fan, social, community… power followed that simple phrase, the world would be better. My main reason I’ve always like Spidey is that message. He is the avatar of responsibility (even if the writers just like to sometimes torture the character with the crap they pull).

not true at all. They changed the wording around but it's still the same message and peter's casual act of selfish indifference still contributes to Uncle Ben's death which serves as a catalyst for him, ultimately, becoming spider-man.

Well, that's good.

Some of bitching looks like it comes from the whole thing being a stunt to keep the licence. X-men did the same but “First Class” turned out to be very good. Hope this one comes close to that. Never was a big fan of the Raimi ones. I did like parts and the train scenes with Dr. Octupus is fantastic but never found myself attached to them. Read that the Avangers was going to have the Oscorp tower in their skyline but they didn't have it in time to include it. So cross studio universe sharing isn't that impossible.

Some of bitching looks like it comes from the whole thing being a stunt to keep the licence. X-men did the same but “First Class” turned out to be very good. Hope this one comes close to that.

Sony did do it to keep the license, just like 20th Century Fox did X-Men First Class to keep theirs. But it's nice to know that like Fox, Sony put in effort to keep it.

Just got done watching it, and my opinion isn't very high of it. In fact its downright pretty bad. There weren't that many people in the theater either about 6-7 others and all of them commented on it not being very good or Peter Parker coming off like a douchebag. Personally I feel like Garfield's portrayal comes from the Hayden Christensen prequel school of romance.

I'll go into more detail later when it all sinks in and have time for spoiler tags.

I have not seen spider man yet but I found the scene with the car thief shown in trailers a bit grating, and found myself empathising with the thief is that scene any better placed in context with the rest of the film if its even in the film.

Yes, that scene is in the film. The rest is in the eye of the beholder. I found it hilarious and very true to Spidey's sarcastic and taunting wit.

Great movie, liked the way this kid Garfield took Parker's part away from Tobey...Emma Stone is hot...Leary was great, and Lizard was....

post-2668-0-85012600-1341700910_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

Just got back from seeing it.

+ Spidey has web shooters, no organic webbing.

+ Andrew Garfield is, honestly, a much better Peter Parker than Tobey.

+ Uncle Ben was awesome. Really believable as an uncle who's struggling to be a father to a teenager.

- Aside from Dennis Leary as Captain Stacy, the rest of the cast felt pretty bland to me.

- The costume. I get that they something visually distinct from the Raimi trilogy (yet they went with the textured look again?), but did they have to pull their inspiration from such an obscure source? If they really wanted something different, I'd have preferred the Ben Reilly Spider-Man, or the House of M suit. Or practically any Spider-Man suit save the white Future Foundation look.

- The liberties that were taken with the story. Yeah, they do make Spidey seem a little more... realistic? Grounded? But I feel like they're only there to set it apart from the Raimi trilogy.

- It's a reboot. Already. Did we really need to spend a huge chunk of the plot on Spidey's origin again? If they really wanted to distance themselves, they could have done something totally different, like a Michael Morales Ultimate Spider-Man movie.

At the end of the day, I'm going to say that it's not a bad movie. If you're a fan of comic books or super hero movies, it's worth a watch. But hang on to your Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 DVDs...

Saw it yesterday, loved it. Far better than the original. I know people have their opinions on this one, especially being a reboot but I felt it was very well done and more accurate to the overall Spidey mythos than the Tobey one. Honestly the one aspect that killed it for me in the originals despite everything was Spidey wasn't funny. This felt more fleshed out and well paced and I was pleasantly surprised as my expectations were set pretty low after hearing some of the negative or what some consider negative aspects about the film. Hope they keep it up like this. I guess with Marvel doing so well with their own movies all the other studios with the big properties decided to step up their game as now Marvel can make better movies.

- The costume. I get that they something visually distinct from the Raimi trilogy (yet they went with the textured look again?), but did they have to pull their inspiration from such an obscure source? If they really wanted something different, I'd have preferred the Ben Reilly Spider-Man, or the House of M suit. Or practically any Spider-Man suit save the white Future Foundation look.

*looks up future foundation*

this?

2012255-spidey.jpg

That's a bad ass suit. I want to see spider man get rolled into avengers while wearing this. Have I ever mentioned that the venom suit is by far my all time favorite Spiderman outfit?