HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

I agree azrael, that's the kind of people all that talk was for. The whole thing works on people's ignorance about a lot of things, especially about the entertainment that's available to them.

Doubly appropriate for a Harmony Gold panel, since ignorance is one of the few things keeping the Robotech franchise from doing what it's been threatening to do since 1986... sink without a trace.

In retrospect, I should have said I believe Nenad was invited to try to defend UEG's situation from what HG did because the show was really a trap.

Oh, considering what I've heard about JuanRT being almost as determinedly pro-Harmony Gold as MEMO is, it does sound rather like it was intended as a trap. I don't speak any Spanish, but with a setup like that it seems pretty much inevitable that they'd try to discredit Nenad or goad him into saying something inaccurate so they can carry on pretending that UEG are the apefaces, not Harmony Gold. Admittedly, that explanation HP got from Nenad is frightening... Harmony Gold tried bullying UEG into submitting their work under the terms and conditions of their fanworks agreement. In practice, that's a choice between ceding all rights to, and control over, their work to Harmony Gold or giving up on their fan project. Talk about dick moves... good grief. It's even more disgusting that MEMO's running around behind the scenes trying to pin the blame for Harmony Gold's asinine behavior on me and HP. That man is a bootlicking toady with no shame whatsoever.

Admittedly, that explanation HP got from Nenad is frightening... Harmony Gold tried bullying UEG into submitting their work under the terms and conditions of their fanworks agreement. In practice, that's a choice between ceding all rights to, and control over, their work to Harmony Gold or giving up on their fan project. Talk about dick moves...

In the RTX chat room a few weeks ago, Nenad told me exactly the same thing he told HP.

what is this fanworks agreement and who exactly agreed to it?

It's kinda funny that HG tries to refer to other artwork as fanwork because their stuff end up looking like fanart. I mean just pull a page of Macross the First and compare it to any Shadow Chronicle book.

All I know is that Carl Macek said he just found it in their library of licensed material.

HG probably bought up the licensing rights like they do with many properties for resale in international markets. IIRC, Macek said it was Matchbox or Mattel who came up with the "Robotech" line and since Matchbox (or Mattel) was using lots of designs from SDF Macross in their product line, Macek brought in HG since they already licensed Macross and RT started from there.

HG probably bought up the licensing rights like they do with many properties for resale in international markets. IIRC, Macek said it was Matchbox or Mattel who came up with the "Robotech" line and since Matchbox (or Mattel) was using lots of designs from SDF Macross in their product line, Macek brought in HG since they already licensed Macross and RT started from there.

It was Revell, and I always thought that rationale for using the title was weird. The Revell Robotech kits came primarily from Dougram, and out of the twenty or so model kits they released initially, only three were from Macross, none from Southern Cross or Mospeada (a couple of Mospeada kits -specifically Yellow's Ride Armor and Houquet's Legioss- surfaced around the same time as Gobots kits).

On top of that, the Revell kits had entirely new (and strange) painting instructions which made them look very little like the Valkyries in the show (the VF-1D, for example, was camouflage).

Add to this the fact that Jetfire had already been released, and you have a pretty weak and lame tie-in venture.

If Harmony Gold had bought Dougram, on the other hand, it would've made perfect sense to retitle it.

what is this fanworks agreement and who exactly agreed to it?

I believe that if you submit fan art to Robotech.com, it becomes the property of Harmony Gold, and they can do as they wish with it. UEG didn't want to go that route.

It's kinda funny that HG tries to refer to other artwork as fanwork because their stuff end up looking like fanart. I mean just pull a page of Macross the First and compare it to any Shadow Chronicle book.

Or the Robotech novel covers, or the Robotech comics...the only good "official" Robotech art is the stuff that it taken directly from the Japanese promotional stuff. Although I have to admit I thought Tommy did a great job on the MPC boxes. Those look rather nice.

I believe that if you submit fan art to Robotech.com, it becomes the property of Harmony Gold, and they can do as they wish with it. UEG didn't want to go that route.

Or the Robotech novel covers, or the Robotech comics...the only good "official" Robotech art is the stuff that it taken directly from the Japanese promotional stuff. Although I have to admit I thought Tommy did a great job on the MPC boxes. Those look rather nice.

I thought those look decent also but if you watch all their products and promotions, it's a constant rehash of the same drawings over and over. That means Tommy couldn't be bothered to do new artwork for any new advertising purpose. It's always the same Rick Hunter drawing or it's the Minmay on the end of the VF-1 gunpod. You'd think that an artist and fan of the original material and someone who's trying to perpetuate ownership of a license would be more than proud to show off some sort of prowess on the usage of said product. I'd be busting all kinds of crap that said, "suck on it Big West!!! We don't need you! All ur Macross are belonged!!!" a perfect example would be Alex Ross's ownage of the G-Force stuff. I mean he took over it like he invented that stuff... he basically said... RIP Amano... there's a new king in town.

It was Revell, and I always thought that rationale for using the title was weird. The Revell Robotech kits came primarily from Dougram, and out of the twenty or so model kits they released initially, only three were from Macross, none from Southern Cross or Mospeada (a couple of Mospeada kits -specifically Yellow's Ride Armor and Houquet's Legioss- surfaced around the same time as Gobots kits).

Which explains why, as a dumb kid, I was scratching my head, asking "Okay, where is Gartan, Thoren, or the rest of the Defenders in this cartoon?"

Which explains why, as a dumb kid, I was scratching my head, asking "Okay, where is Gartan, Thoren, or the rest of the Defenders in this cartoon?"

When I originally saw Robotech, I was thinking "What is this protoculture thing? It's not in Macross! They translated it wrong." Then when the Southern Cross happened, I knew it was taken to the chop shop. I used to have all those Revell model kits. Unfortunately, my modelling skills weren't up to par then, and I butchered the Roy Focker one (whatever it was called by Revell).

I can't believe you forgot the one Orguss kit, Gubaba! :(

I didn't forget it. I just didn't mention it.

I actually owned it, back in the day...it was a prize possession, until the toy shop in the mall got a TON of Macross, Orguss, and Dorvack kits and prcied 'em at $2.99 each. Now THAT was a bargain.

Edited by Gubaba

Anything submitted to Robotech.com becomes property of those pricks at Harmony Gold. Edited by Wanzerfan

I find it funny that for the good "official" Robotech art, they can't really attribute them to anyone or don't give credit to the people who made them. They're made or trademarked by a company, Harmony gold, rather than a person, leading to some of the misunderstandings that continue to this day.

But for Tommy Yune's work, they can credit him directly somewhere in the work.

Edited by Einherjar

I find it funny that for the good "official" Robotech art, they can't really attribute them to anyone or don't give credit to the people who made them. They're made or trademarked by a company, Harmony gold, rather than a person, leading to some of the misunderstandings that continue to this day.

But for Tommy Yune's work, they can credit him directly somewhere in the work.

Again, as time goes on, I have more and more respect for the producers of Star Blazers, who (IIRC) had a little bit in the ending credits saying something like "Originally broadcast in Japan as 'Space Cruiser Yamato.'"

AND they credited all the Japanese staff.

I've always had respect for Star Blazers, as they didn't really change Yamato too drastically. As you said, Gubaba, it is mentioned in the end credits as being "Space Cruiser Yamato". Plus, one of the other things that makes me respect Star Blazers is that they actually kept the original musical score. It was also the only show that I can remember that actually had new English lyrics that didn't sound incredibly cheesy set to the original opening theme music.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd think it was a pretty good prank if I hadn't been in the middle of writing a PM to Memo when the site "went down." <_<

Oh yeah, April 1st. It would be pretty crappy if it was either situation. It would be in bad taste too since UEG really did get a C&D.

Because it didn't happen to Señor Chang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3ttMqZ6Dk

Edited by Einherjar

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd think it was a pretty good prank if I hadn't been in the middle of writing a PM to Memo when the site "went down." <_<

I forget april fools.

It'd be really funny and sad if it never went back up but linked you to Robotech.com store that had everything in stock and broke faster a shoulder joint on a Yamato.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Oh yeah, April 1st. It would be pretty crappy if it was either situation.

And so the 'Fools Day pranks begin.... :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, I need to ban a few people for a day...

Oh yeah, April 1st. It would be pretty crappy if it was either situation. It would be in bad taste too since UEG really did get a C&D.

Because it didn't happen to Señor Chang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3ttMqZ6Dk

This is the third time I've been pranked in the last few hours, so I was ready for something.

(The second prank was DAMN good. On the Jpop torrent site I go to, someone uploaded an "advance copy" of the new Ayumi Hamasaki album coming out in two weeks. Turned out it was just a bunch of songs by Gwen Stefani, the Village People, Cannibal Corpse, Lady Gaga, and many others, painstakingly retagged with the actual song titles...funny stuff.)

Edited by Gubaba

This is the third time I've been pranked in the last few hours, so I was ready for something.

When it comes to this, sorry, I'm not amused. Everyday seems to be like an April Fools joke when it comes to this topic, that April 1st looks like a normal day.

Edited by Einherjar

So, this one i submited isn't mine anymore???

http://www.robotech.com/community/fan/art/...art.php?id=4917

yeah M > R.

Nope. It's Harmony Gold's now. Sorry.

http://www.robotech.com/content/terms.php

Submissions:

Harmony Gold's company policy does not allow it to accept or consider any creative ideas, suggestions, or materials other than those that it has specifically requested at our Web site or otherwise. Accordingly, we must request that members not submit or send any original creative materials, including but not limited to submissions of scripts, story lines, fan fiction, characters, drawings, information, suggestions, ideas or concepts unless specifically requested by us. If at our request you send certain specific submissions (e.g., postings to chats, surveys, message boards, contests, or similar items) or you send us creative suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, concepts, or other information (collectively the "Submissions"), then the Submissions shall be deemed and shall remain the property of Harmony Gold in perpetuity. None of the Submissions shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on our part and we shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of any Submissions. Without limitation of the foregoing, we shall exclusively own all now-known or hereafter existing rights to the Submissions of every kind and nature throughout the universe and shall be entitled to unrestricted use of the Submissions for any purpose whatosever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the provider of the Submissions. The sender waives all so-called "moral rights" in all Submissions. The sender represents and warrants that all the materials contained in the Submissions are original and authored by the sender or that sender has the permission of the rights owner of the underlying materials (or any portion thereof) to make the Submissions. The sender further waives the right to make any claims against Harmony Gold relating to unsolicited submissions, including, but not limited to, unfair competition, breach of implied contract and/or breach of confidentiality. Harmony Gold shall have no obligation to use the Submissions at our Web site or otherwise.

Edited by Gubaba

http://www.robotech.com/community/fan/art/...art.php?id=4917

yeah M > R.

All those fans who submitted "their" stuff. Yeah, sorry man. That's why I kept my stuff. If I sent pics of my customs, they'd probably send a letter asking for my toys.

Edited by Jasonc

In the RTX chat room a few weeks ago, Nenad told me exactly the same thing he told HP.

Well, I guess that clears up pretty much any questions as to the reliability of that information... it's definitely a dick move on Harmony Gold's part to use an ultimatum to try and force fans to give all their hard work to Harmony Gold with no expectation of compensation or credit.

Bah... the real shame here is that the closure notice on RobotechX isn't legitimate. It would just be too funny if, after spending all those years backstabbing fans, sucking up to Tommy, and trying to police the fanbase for heretics, MEMO's own website was targeted for closure by Harmony Gold. It would be just compensation for the way he's acted, especially now that he's tried to frame me and HP for the cancellation of Robotech Genesis and the deletion of a bunch of Nenead's stuff from DeviantArt.

Yeah, you were fool enough to submit it without reading the submission waiver of rights and now your work belongs to Harmony Gold.