and then scan a picture of Gundam Seed and stick it on the back cover

put a BlueRay Sticker on the front

say there are english subtitles when actually its german

and sell it for a buck

then if you want to buy two i give you special price for 1.99

and when it doesnt work i tell you to go fuk yourself

thats what im going to do

Edited by nugundamII

Can someone please tell me what they're saying? I don't read Chinese.

A mix of sarcasm and non-stop bashing. People in China are not stupid. They know there is such a thing called Macross Frontier out there. Indeed, I would argue that the criticism of the show by the Chinese themselves can be more harsh than anything on MW.

A mix of sarcasm and non-stop bashing. People in China are not stupid. They know there is such a thing called Macross Frontier out there. Indeed, I would argue that the criticism of the show by the Chinese themselves can be more harsh than anything on MW.

Agreed.

But unfortunately there is still this pervasive colonial attitude inclined towards grouping all Chinese people together as 1 big collective group of copycats, criminals, and generally untrustworthy people. As such, attention in the media is detracted away from the thousands of actual honest and globally competitive corporations run predominantly by Chinese in HK, Singapore, Taiwan, and entrepreneurs in Euro/NA.

The great philosopher Chris Rock explains it best (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6-Wc0PDc4

(Replace Black with Asian)

A few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

Agreed.

But unfortunately there is still this pervasive colonial attitude inclined towards grouping all Chinese people together as 1 big collective group of copycats, criminals, and generally untrustworthy people. As such, attention in the media is detracted away from the thousands of actual honest and globally competitive corporations run predominantly by Chinese in HK, Singapore, Taiwan, and entrepreneurs in Euro/NA.

Im going to do what any self respecting chinese would do

Im going to download the show

copy it

burn it onto a dvd

scan some macross frontier posters stick it on the front cover

and then scan a picture of Gundam Seed and stick it on the back cover

put a BlueRay Sticker on the front

say there are english subtitles when actually its german

and sell it for a buck

then if you want to buy two i give you special price for 1.99

and when it doesnt work i tell you to go fuk yourself

thats what im going to do

Bit late to the party. Just read this thread and watched the two preview clips today. Will try to watch the first episode when I have time.

There is a fine line between being "inspired by" or "paying homage to" something and being a blatant rip-off and Astro Plan clealy is way, way deep into the territory of "blatant rip-off'.

Some of the visual imagery, in the combat scenes, such as the ships defolding, the ships AA fire against the Vajra copies, is almost a direct rip from Frontier.

I've alsked Yamato to check if Big West knows about this. It will be interesting to see their response.

That said, I thought some of the not-VF designs were interesting, that is until I saw the WTF-angel energy wings in not-battroid mode!

Wouldn't miond getting hold of a few of the toys just for shits and giggles. Tried a search on ebay, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know if they are actually out yet?

Graham

I've alsked Yamato to check if Big West knows about this. It will be interesting to see their response.

Wouldn't miond getting hold of a few of the toys just for shits and giggles. Tried a search on ebay, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know if they are actually out yet?

Graham

The toys are out, just not on Ebay ... yet. Try TaoBao, the Chinese version of Ebay, but I think it's a pain for non-mainland Chinese to use. Else, try visiting major department stores in Shenzhen. I am sure you will find some there.

Yawn.

Rip off bootlegs of popular works of entertainment? Wow. I'm shocked.

I for one have nothing against the Chinese, or their bootlegs.

Personally, I don't buy them, don't like them - but not because they are bootlegs. Rather, simply because they suck and originals are better.

Then again - lots of original works also suck.

I dunno... to me this is all a non issue.

The designs on those airplanes look lame, the undercarriage is strange, the characters all look generic, and in the end it's not Macross - so no matter how much it 'copies' Macross Frontier I'm still not gonna care about it.

Finally - after almost 20 years of the internet I think it's safe to say that people who are incompetent enough to buy a bootleg have only themselves to thank.

As for the negative view of Chinese as bootleggers - if such a view persists, it's just resentment since the Chinese also happen to have one of the freest, most prosperous economies on earth and have great food too.

I dunno - negative generalizations always suck.

In any event...as I mentioned in the other Astro Plan thread - this subject gets way too much attention.

Unless this series is seriously funny - there's no point talking about it.

Although - who knows? It could turn out good too (unlikely as that is).

But whatever - does that have anything to do with Macross and our enjoyment of Macross? No.

And will it take away "market share" from Macross --- ??

I honestly doubt it.

If people are dumb enough to buy a product solely on the basis of blurry similarity to a brand product -then you can be sure that no amount of marketing is going to make them appreciate the brand product.

Meanwhile, people who are into Macross will never toss it in favor of bootlegs - I mean - would you ? Come on...

Knock offs and bootlegs are just part of life.

Pete

The toys are out, just not on Ebay ... yet. Try TaoBao, the Chinese version of Ebay, but I think it's a pain for non-mainland Chinese to use. Else, try visiting major department stores in Shenzhen. I am sure you will find some there.

:( I seldom visit Shenzhen. Cost of a visa is too expensive. Probably only go to China once every 2 years

Agreed.

Everytime china does something bad or disgraceful it always relfect badly on chinese people. People tend to forget that the chinese are a divided people, theres mainlanders, hong kongers, over seas and those born in other countries, like myself.

Astro plan is just another long line of rip offs, not a shred of originality or creativity.

What if the creators of Macross are secretly behind this show, using their existing computer animation technology to do the space scenes and vehicles... they hired some Chinese high school kids with no consistent style and some DeviantArt pages to do the most amateurish job of character design and motion animation possible... made sure that the mouth movements and dialog don't even sync up in the original Chinese... then plan to export it to the USA and other Harmony Gold controlled territories on the cheap, so that Harmony Gold can't stop it, and then finally allows Macross Frontier and the new movie to come to those territories, for a small cut, in order to compete with Astro Plan?

Yeah, I know, there's no way... but it's the only thing that makes sense for me for the existence of this show...

What if the creators of Macross are secretly behind this show, using their existing computer animation technology to do the space scenes and vehicles... they hired some Chinese high school kids with no consistent style and some DeviantArt pages to do the most amateurish job of character design and motion animation possible... made sure that the mouth movements and dialog don't even sync up in the original Chinese... then plan to export it to the USA and other Harmony Gold controlled territories on the cheap, so that Harmony Gold can't stop it, and then finally allows Macross Frontier and the new movie to come to those territories, for a small cut, in order to compete with Astro Plan?

Yeah, I know, there's no way... but it's the only thing that makes sense for me for the existence of this show...

And it is discovered that Shoji Kawamori is the 987th Grand Master of the Troll Templar Order (TTO), a sub-faction of the powerful Illuminati who secretly control the political and financial reigns of the global order. The TTO has set into motion its ultimate plan to eradicate the last remaining rebel resistance group - Harmony Gold, which itself is a breakaway faction of the NWO.

The stage has been set for the final battle between good and evil fought in a remote pacific island through the use of transforming combat lawyers. A three way mayhem between HG, the templars, and the "Chinese faction". .... Who will survive?

The animation quality of the battle scene is laughably bad. The notVeritechs are animated very stiffly, and most of the time they feel like marionettes being pulled by a string, plus their movements were just sliding across the screen.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

And it is discovered that Shoji Kawamori is the 987th Grand Master of the Troll Templar Order (TTO), a sub-faction of the powerful Illuminati who secretly control the political and financial reigns of the global order. The TTO has set into motion its ultimate plan to eradicate the last remaining rebel resistance group - Harmony Gold, which itself is a breakaway faction of the NWO.

The stage has been set for the final battle between good and evil fought in a remote pacific island through the use of transforming combat lawyers. A three way mayhem between HG, the templars, and the "Chinese faction". .... Who will survive?

I think I've seen that battle before. Mr. Rogers won. :lol:

The animation quality of the battle scene is laughably bad. The notVeritechs are animated very stiffly, and most of the time they feel like marionettes being pulled by a string, plus their movements were just sliding across the screen.

But I love Thunderbirds.

Taksraven

Perhaps the RT fans should post a petition to make Astro Plan 9 from Outer Space the next RT title.

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/42-other-a...re-we-come.html

PROBLEM WITH THIS ONE IT RUNS TO CLOSE TO BW FRONTIER DESIGNS. AND GUNDAM. WITHOUT PROPER LICENSING FROM THEM HG CAN'T TOUCH