Post pics of VF-1 broken shoulders here!

Silvestri

I would have stopped collecting these if it wasn't for Yamato, and most importantly Graham, for making it possible to get replacements without spending an arm and a leg. I had 5 various early releases with cracked hinges. If you have an early release and haven't had problems yet, that's great, but the potential is still there for cracks down the road.

Just got my 1/60 vf-1J super...checked for cracks and stress marks...none.

Transformed it to battroid and tried to get back to plane when I saw a small crack :angry:

Tried to fix it with super glue... found a stress mark on the other hinge :wacko:

I have plenty of experience with 1/48's and the 1/60 (V1) so I thought I could figure out the

transformation without instructions...so this could be partly my fault...but there is definitely

an apparent defect here :blink:

This is my first vf-1 v2 1/60, but with this thread I was prepared for the inevitable. Hopefully,

Graham still has a few bright white hinges :lol:

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1/60 VF-1J (Hiki) with Super parts and noticed hairline fractures right out of the box :angry:

I know that there is the option for replacements but other than this I was curious if anyone has come up with an idea as to how

to fix it, or even prevent it through modification of the structured area? (and I mean besides applying super glue) Please reply if

you have done something (other than replacement or superglue) that has been effective. PM me if need be but please give me

your feed back.

Blue

I was gonna transform my VF-1J with Super Packs last night for the first time and noticed that the shoulder was broken and then the whole arm assembly came off. Tried to fix it as best I can but I'm leaving it in jet mode, it has the old style pins so I'm guessing the ones that were on sale at HLJ were old stock. Honestly the whole shoulder assembly really needs to be re-thought, when your asked to use the flexibility of the plastic itself to swivel the shoulder past and flex over that little notch/lock tab your asking for trouble and putting torque on a relatively fragile part if your not super careful since most of us hold it by the arms to transform it when really we should be putting the pressure on the hinge part. Oh well it still looks pretty in fighter mode.

Actually, if you loosen up the screws holding those shoulder pivots a bit (something like a quarter turn or so) it gives a little more room to move the shoulders over those bumps. Go too far, and the shoulders will fall down past the stops in battroid, but if you do it just right you'll really reduce the stress on those parts when you move them.

Wait do you mean he got them already? Got my request in months ago.

if you read his last post he said

"I am extremely busy at work at the moment and will be travelling overseas for most of April. For these reasons, I do not have time to post out the hinges until early May"

is not May yet...

I'd take any hinge's color by the way :p even pink

I just decided to loosen the screws on the Hiky vf-1j I just got from hlj. Then I took a close look and saw some stress marks on the hinges. So that's number 2 for me. The Max 1A looks fine though, so far. God forbid we need to get blue shoulders on top of everything. <_<

post-11829-1272654074_thumb.jpg

post-11829-1272654092_thumb.jpg

post-11829-1272654109_thumb.jpg

The arm of my super VF 1S just fell off the damn toy... and I transformed the think only twice... Hinge broke beyond repair.

Damn poorly designed toy... what a let down.

I am way too lazy to ready the whole thread, any way to get a new hinge around?

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we no longer have the ability to send personal msg's (and we lost our saved msg boxes) how do we contact - or more importantly - how are we contacted when Graham decides to send the 2nd wave of hinges?

(unless I'm just not seeing my msg inbox)

Anyone know why I can't PM Graham? Wanted to see if he got my replacement shoulder request last month

and I get this error:

The following errors were found

The member Graham can not use the messaging system

This personal message has not been sent

Nevermind, looks like he disabled his PM box...and processing requests now.

Hopefully, he's got my request.

hi im new to this. i just want to know what i can do to get new shoulder joints for my vf-1j. i transformed it today and the left shoulder snapped. i had only had it for less than 24 hours. does anyone know how or who to contact to get replacement parts?

Anyone know why I can't PM Graham? Wanted to see if he got my replacement shoulder request last month

and I get this error:

The following errors were found

The member Graham can not use the messaging system

This personal message has not been sent

Nevermind, looks like he disabled his PM box...and processing requests now.

Hopefully, he's got my request.

Graham's inbox is currently voluntarily dis-abled, as he is simply too busy right now to take in new requests for shoulders.

Watch his signature for updates regarding this matter.

Hi, my vf-1s dyrl is geting worse I posted before a picture of the right side arm with broken hinge now also the left side is showing stress too I would say big stress mark which in a few days is going to become an oficialy broken shoulder(hinge2.jpg).I removed the right hinge I was trying to remove the pin but is not posible any idea on how to remove this? I want to replace it with plastic is the best solution til i get new hinges.

Well from my point of view this problem should be solved directly by yamato but they take not responsability if the toy is purchased outside japan which for me is WRONG if we pay the shipping we should recieve the same atention as a japan costumer.In my country this is not a cheap toy I paid 177usd YES ONE HUNDRED and SEVENTYSEVEN USD and I own 5 1/60s and 5 1/48s so you can imagine how much money I spent on YAMATO products and how frustraiting this is.

I joined this forum to share the passion for macross not the suffering for YAMATO.I also have problems with 2 of my 1/48s but that is for another post.sorry about this post I did not wanted to get to this point but since I found the second broken shoulder things changed.

As someone said before POORLY DESIGNED TOY!!! this could have been avoided with the proper testing before releasing the toy.

Well I´ll continue waiting for any news from Graham as he is our only hope.

post-12890-127575947926_thumb.jpg

post-12890-127575949349_thumb.jpg

post-12890-127575952014_thumb.jpg

Yamato isn't allowed to service areas outside of Japan because of licensing issues. It's not really a choice Yamato makes to not help you out. Yamato would love to be able to legally sell and service toys outside of Japan. Since they can't we essentially buy toys without warranties which does make it that much more frustrating when a clearly poorly researched design element is foisted upon us and then not corrected before more variations of the toy are released.

Only file down the knurling on the shoulder pins. All the others should stay knurled. (and really, the knurling isn't the problem, it's actually the smooth part that's wrong with the shoulder pins---but it's easier to remove the knurling than change the pin shaft itself)

Just got a v2 VF-1A Mass Production Type today so I pulled out my other v2 1/60s for display again (put them away to display some 1/100s. EFF that man, what was I thinking??? Wife has given me free reigns again :D ). Pulled out my VF-1J TV Hikaru & my VF-1S Roy...

Hikaru - sad to report shoulder hinge breakage! <_<

Roy - reflective coat on canopy is cracking! :o

I'd better get my VF-1D and VF-1A Max out too, gonna head downstairs and get them now

Graham - please help us when you can!!!

Sorry guys, will get round to send out the remaining replacement hinges soon, promise!

The last few months have just been one thing after another - I had overseas business trips, then work got really was hectic, then my house got flooded due to a burst water pipe, then my wife, son and I all got a bad case of flu. Hopefully things are all improving now. Just been a little burned out with everything that's been going on, so no mood and time time do the hinges.

Graham

Sorry guys, will get round to send out the remaining replacement hinges soon, promise!

The last few months have just been one thing after another - I had overseas business trips, then work got really was hectic, then my house got flooded due to a burst water pipe, then my wife, son and I all got a bad case of flu. Hopefully things are all improving now. Just been a little burned out with everything that's been going on, so no mood and time time do the hinges.

Graham

Graham, you work too much!

Take as much time as you need and I hope things get better for you.

that's... different. usually it's the part connected to the arm that cracks, not the part that connects the the torso. :blink:

eh? then is this a new case? :(

I dun hold any grudges with Yammie though...I've learnt to accept lemons in life..at least they make for good lemonade! :D

P/s: My past purchase of 1/48 VF-1J miria, the left engine intake cover was not included....ah well... :rolleyes: