Post pics of VF-1 broken shoulders here!

Silvestri

You were able to get replacements from HLJ? Was it because you had purchased one directly from them recently, or will they take a parts request on its own? I've been needing replacement hinges for my VF-1A Hikaru for what feels like an eternity....

nope. never bought any Yamato Macross from them. Just e-mailed them and asked if they could help me get the parts. They replied asking some details. Got the stuff after bout a month though. Didn't mind that much as my VF-1S is back in my home country while I'm stuck here due to work assignments.

Edited by sousuke

Well, I just got the first half of my HLJ order from the second Yamato sale. I was happy to score the VT-1 for 30% off, unfortunately one of the shoulder joints is cracked. I was hoping by now there was a second run with the proper pins but I guess HLJ is selling off old stock. Not a huge deal as I plan on displaying it in fighter mode, but still something to keep in mind for anyone who ordered one.

Well, I just got the first half of my HLJ order from the second Yamato sale. I was happy to score the VT-1 for 30% off, unfortunately one of the shoulder joints is cracked. I was hoping by now there was a second run with the proper pins but I guess HLJ is selling off old stock. Not a huge deal as I plan on displaying it in fighter mode, but still something to keep in mind for anyone who ordered one.

Thanks for the update on those. I was about to buy one too, but I'm glad I held off. Looks like no Hikaru for me for a while.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the update on those. I was about to buy one too, but I'm glad I held off. Looks like no Hikaru for me for a while.

say you want to order your pieces at hobby link japan...

"Hello-

Thank you for writing. We are terribly sorry, but we are no longer able to help with support or replacement parts for a Yamato toy that was not purchased from HobbyLink Japan.

Again, we're very sorry. We appreciate your understanding."

Hi, remove those pins as soon as you can and sand the entire dented part of them, that happened to my vt-1 too at least that way you can avoid future damage on it. now my vt-1 has a cracked shoulder but it wont get worst it wont fall apart and you can use it safely. but dont sand it in too much or the shoulder will be too loose. this can be done before the sholuder explodes after that is useless.

this can be done with any 1/60.

post-12890-0-54900000-1299969284_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Would be interested in a set of shoulders for the Roy VF-1S, are orders being taken again? Just found out that both are cracked right out of the box on mine (had it stored since getting it a year ago). Fortunately also have the newer one, which is still fine, but would be nice if I could fix up the broken one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the looooong delay guys.

Promise I will get back on this soon.

Last year got kinda crazy in the second half as work really picked up plus I had some health issues, which I needed to deal with (am still dealing with).

Will aim to start sending out what I have again after the Chinese New Year Holidays, i.e. from second week of February.

Also, as David mentioned, I need to see if I can get some more of the off-white (light grey) DYRL VF-1A/S hinges from Yamato, as demand has again outstripped my meagre supply.

Please don't PM me about hinges yet, as I'm still pretty busy and need to dig up all the old info.

I will post an update in this thread sometime in the next few weeks about who is on the list and how many hinges remain. After I post the update, then you can PM me with any questions/requests/clarifications. Note I will not answer PMs about hinges until after the update is posted.

Graham

Graham, any updates on the shoulders? Basically been waiting over a year now for it to be sent out. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if there have been re-issues (or updated production) of VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) with the updated pins? Just wondering if it's finally safe to order one.

I'm not sure about the updated pins, but I do know that the latest release of the VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) still has the tinted canopy and the "older" hip-locking mechanism that's similar to the Macross Zero Valks. This, of course, is in contrast to some of the other VF-1 re-issues that lack the rainbow/chrome tint and have the "newer" hip-locking mechanism that is akin to the 1/48 Valks. The only difference I know of between the original and re-issue of the VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) is that the original has a "rainbow" tint while the re-issue has a "chrome" tint on the canopy (according to AmiAmi).

I would hope that the re-issue has the updated pins, but I cannot verify this at the moment. The only reassurance I can give you is that the re-issue of the VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) was released in early Aug 2010, less than 2 months prior to the release of the VF-1A Max and Kakizaki (DYRL) w/ FPs, which supposedly are safe bets. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but that's all I know at this juncture.

Hi, remove those pins as soon as you can and sand the entire dented part of them, that happened to my vt-1 too at least that way you can avoid future damage on it. now my vt-1 has a cracked shoulder but it wont get worst it wont fall apart and you can use it safely. but dont sand it in too much or the shoulder will be too loose. this can be done before the sholuder explodes after that is useless.

this can be done with any 1/60.

post-12890-0-54900000-1299969284_thumb.jpg

How did you manage to get the pins out? My hinges are cracked and I still can't get them out. Tried a small screwdriver, pin, paper clip...

How did you manage to get the pins out? My hinges are cracked and I still can't get them out. Tried a small screwdriver, pin, paper clip...

I used a clock screwdriver. I had to apply a little bit of force to get the sucker out. Maybe heating it with a hair drier can help too.

Usually a small screw driver or paper clip will do the job, but make sure you are pushing it from the other side of the knurled pin. If you pushing from the knurled side, you are having hard time to push it all over through the smooth intact part of the hinge.

I'm not sure about the updated pins, but I do know that the latest release of the VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) still has the tinted canopy and the "older" hip-locking mechanism that's similar to the Macross Zero Valks. This, of course, is in contrast to some of the other VF-1 re-issues that lack the rainbow/chrome tint and have the "newer" hip-locking mechanism that is akin to the 1/48 Valks. The only difference I know of between the original and re-issue of the VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) is that the original has a "rainbow" tint while the re-issue has a "chrome" tint on the canopy (according to AmiAmi).

I would hope that the re-issue has the updated pins, but I cannot verify this at the moment. The only reassurance I can give you is that the re-issue of the VF-1A Hikaru (DYRL) was released in early Aug 2010, less than 2 months prior to the release of the VF-1A Max and Kakizaki (DYRL) w/ FPs, which supposedly are safe bets. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but that's all I know at this juncture.

Thanks - I couldn't find any concrete info on it. Kinda interesting that Yamato hasn't come out with a 1A Hikaru with the Super/Strike parts like Max and Kakizaki. I ordered a 1A Hikaru from HLJ's sale anyway, let's see what happens. LOL

I also used a clock screw driver to remove the pins, utpostman, first you have to push it hard till the knurled part comes out then the rest of the pin is easy.

make sure you do it as Vi-RS said if not who knows what happens.

Thanks for the help, guys. One came out fairly easily, the other was held in the hinge by a small metal burr where the knurling started (maybe another source of cracking?). Wonder what possessed them to use those pins in the first place?

Just found out this morning that the replacement arms that I got for my VF-1S S/Str. the shoulder on one side is showing a hairline crack. Not liking this at all. My Hikky 1A S/Str also has cracked shoulders but I never got around to getting replacements. Gonna have to box this one back up and tuck it away. :/

It depends, initially the replacement parts people were sent were from the initial production run so they basically sent you the same shoddy part. I remember I received two replacement hinges and before I even put them on my toy one had broken in its little baggy. They sent out more replacement parts when they did their next production run and those seem to be holding up just fine. I was burned by saying "Yamato V2s should be safe now" once before (then Yamato shipped out their VT-1 and Hikaru GPB with problematic shoulders) but I think we may have finally rounded the corner on these issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - I couldn't find any concrete info on it. Kinda interesting that Yamato hasn't come out with a 1A Hikaru with the Super/Strike parts like Max and Kakizaki. I ordered a 1A Hikaru from HLJ's sale anyway, let's see what happens. LOL

Well, got my package today.

VF-1A Kakizaki w/SP came with the clear canopy and new crotch

VF-1A Max came with clear canopy and new crotch (surprised me as I thought it would've come with the rainbow tint and old crotch)

VF-1A Hikaru looks like it's still the old version. :( Rainbow tint, old crotch and looks like knurled pins and have a very very faint stress mark on one of the shoulders. Either old stock from HLJ or Yamato still hasn't come out with a newer/updated production of this?

Well, got my package today.

VF-1A Kakizaki w/SP came with the clear canopy and new crotch

VF-1A Max came with clear canopy and new crotch (surprised me as I thought it would've come with the rainbow tint and old crotch)

VF-1A Hikaru looks like it's still the old version. :( Rainbow tint, old crotch and looks like knurled pins and have a very very faint stress mark on one of the shoulders. Either old stock from HLJ or Yamato still hasn't come out with a newer/updated production of this?

If the Kakizaki and Max are TV versions then they come new and improved. I don't think the DYRL Hikaru 1A ever saw a re-release, so yeah, all old stock.

-b.

If the Kakizaki and Max are TV versions then they come new and improved. I don't think the DYRL Hikaru 1A ever saw a re-release, so yeah, all old stock.

-b.

Yeah, forgot to mention these are all DYRL versions. What I always wondered was how come Yamato made a Kakizaki revision but never a Hikaru 1A? Was the 1A sale really that poor?

AFAIK none of the DYRL 1A's got re-released per say, just the Kakizaki and Max versions were from later production runs when the knurled pin/should pin issue had been corrected.

Any other members feel free to keep my honest on those points.

-b.

I just replaced the shoulder pieces on my vf-1s. It's the earlier version not the DYRL one. For what it's worth there is a picture of the replacement piece and old piece for comparison. The new pieces feel smooth and strong. I just have to say a big thanks to scorched earth toys for their walkthrough.

Now the toy feels solid and having gone through that process I feel like I understand how really sturdy these things are for the most part. I'm such a chicken I almost backed out of transforming it like 5 or 6 times :)

got me through that.

post-13952-0-10602600-1306302033_thumb.jpg