Post pics of VF-1 broken shoulders here!

Silvestri

Thing about that area is it's not quite as space limited for fixes, and there's a lot more plastic there to work with. You might be able to fix that with some type of glue, probably thin stuff that will seep into the crack easily.

Just make sure to keep rotating the joint while it dries to make sure it doesn't freeze up.

I actually just replaced the hinges on my Hikaru 1A last night, my fixes are finally failing after about 8 months (my Roy is still going strong though). One crack I glued before eventually split again, and my replacement pins (paper-clip segments) were too small, and kept falling out of the joint. :lol: I'll probably re-glue the crack, glue the pins in at the ends, and save the joints as a backup set.

• 1 month later...

Ok, for the "new" crack location---I'm really thinking that may be caused by pulling the shoulders up over the "nub" while swinging the arms out. Loosen the screws! Are you guys getting the shoulder up over the nub by pulling the ARMS up, which in turns pulls the shoulder-hinge up and over, or are you grasping/moving the entire shoulder-hinge assembly directly?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh man! :( It happened to me again. My t.v. 1J's shoulder hinge finally broke off. Now both of my 1/60 valks are broken. I am so careful too during transformations... oh well. I'll try to put it together with some epoxy or something.

I was supposed to be on Graham's list for the second shipment of hinges, but never got any. Anyone have any extras?

graham, you should do this a "once a year" event, sending the hinges and stuff

last time someone tried to sell me hinges, he wanted 30.00 for a set...

Kind of silly. I say call him out. I gave my hinges away when I sold my original release DYRL VF-1S Roy. As far as I'm concerned the hinges aren't an accessory, they are part of the model.

Edited by HoveringCheesecake

It's cool Graham is doing this to help the western fans. Otherwise, we'd be up poop creek without a paddle.

I have heard the new releases of the 1/60's seem to be fairing much better as far as QC is concerned, which is nice. Sounds like everyone is going to get their old ones repaired quickly too, which is awesome.

With all the 1/60s I've had, I haven't had an issue yet, and I transform them often (not all of them, but some of the older ones). I did loosen the shoulders and the hinge that rotates the arms during transformation. This is probably a key to prevent the catastrophe. I think on my 1J Hikaru, I may need one soon, but there still isn't any cracks.

I really don't think loosening the hinges helps all that much. People got V2s with broken hinges in the box, before any transformation. So while some people may be speeding the process up via transformation, and loosening the hinges may prevent this speed up, the real problem is still the metal rod inside and whether or not it is creating too much pressure on the plastic around it.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't think loosening the hinges helps all that much. People got V2s with broken hinges in the box, before any transformation. So while some people may be speeding the process up via transformation, and loosening the hinges may prevent this speed up, the real problem is still the metal rod inside and whether or not it is creating too much pressure on the plastic around it.

THANK YOU. I'm tired of people saying that it is breaking because it is being transformed incorrectly or that the tight screws cause cracks during transformation. My original Roy was broken in the box before it was transformed. In fact, it was never transformed before I sold it - with the hinges tossed in for the buyer. It's only fair.

1-60vIIHikaruTV12-16-10.jpg

two years now of moderately heavy transformation with my VF-1J Hikaru T.V. so far,

and ZERO shoulder issues! no issues of any sort, actually!! ^_^

i don't know what i'm doing, but it must be SOMETHING right...

---either that, or i'm just DAMNED lucky...

Edited by Shaorin

Having to loosen screws or transform gingerly as if walking on eggshells should not be something buyer should have to deal with in the first place, let alone cracked hinges in the box. Imagine buying new tires for your car and having to drive below a certain speed or else they will explode. I'm glad the QC has gotten better with the newer releases (I have the DYRL Roy anniversary, as well as VF-1A Kakizaki and Max) and the shoulders are perfectly fine. They all have correct pins and the VF-1As have the new crotches and clear canopies (though I was fond of the rainbow tint, personally). The only problem I had was with my Max and the canopy. It was super hard to open and I was afraid I might break it, but that's not really a QC isue, and more just a stiffness thing that worked itself out after a few minutes of careful prying.

Edited by pud333

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone heard from Graham about the second batch of off-white shoulders please let me know. I have been waiting since March last year for him to send it out. Last I heard from him was in September as he was still busy. I tried emailing his Paypal account and have not heard from him, plus his PM is currently disabled as well.

Thanks.

Sorry for the looooong delay guys.

Promise I will get back on this soon.

Last year got kinda crazy in the second half as work really picked up plus I had some health issues, which I needed to deal with (am still dealing with).

Will aim to start sending out what I have again after the Chinese New Year Holidays, i.e. from second week of February.

Also, as David mentioned, I need to see if I can get some more of the off-white (light grey) DYRL VF-1A/S hinges from Yamato, as demand has again outstripped my meagre supply.

Please don't PM me about hinges yet, as I'm still pretty busy and need to dig up all the old info.

I will post an update in this thread sometime in the next few weeks about who is on the list and how many hinges remain. After I post the update, then you can PM me with any questions/requests/clarifications. Note I will not answer PMs about hinges until after the update is posted.

Graham

Sorry for the looooong delay guys.

Promise I will get back on this soon.

Last year got kinda crazy in the second half as work really picked up plus I had some health issues, which I needed to deal with (am still dealing with).

Will aim to start sending out what I have again after the Chinese New Year Holidays, i.e. from second week of February.

Also, as David mentioned, I need to see if I can get some more of the off-white (light grey) DYRL VF-1A/S hinges from Yamato, as demand has again outstripped my meagre supply.

Please don't PM me about hinges yet, as I'm still pretty busy and need to dig up all the old info.

I will post an update in this thread sometime in the next few weeks about who is on the list and how many hinges remain. After I post the update, then you can PM me with any questions/requests/clarifications. Note I will not answer PMs about hinges until after the update is posted.

Graham

Thanks for the update Graham. Will wait patiently for your update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

been following MW for a while but never actually posted stuff. anyway got my shoulder replacements through HLJ last week. have yet to fix them though.

You were able to get replacements from HLJ? Was it because you had purchased one directly from them recently, or will they take a parts request on its own? I've been needing replacement hinges for my VF-1A Hikaru for what feels like an eternity....