Do you still need replacement shoulder hinges for your V.2 VF-1?

David Hingtgen

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which hinge(s) do you need?

• Left
    • Right
    • Both
    • More than one set (explain in thread)

I second the sticky, it's hard to search between the humongous threads flooded with complains and trolling by yours truly

perhaps a sticky with a simple list that can only be edited by mods with new info on common toy problem, so the newbie can just click and know immediately what to look for and not have to read a 20 page thread of rambling

The main thing to look for would be the pins that are knurled on one end. They've got a distinctive ridged edge on them that you should be able to see. Even if you only have stress marks now, they might need to be replaced over time.

If you have stress marks without the knurled pins, breakage is less likely, but not impossible.

We might need to clarify the poll a bit, I think I screwed up the topic some by bringing up the VT-1. At the start it was mainly about who had hinges that needed replacing, not about hinges that hadn't broken yet. I think I derailed that when I noticed my VT-1's pins, and figured I'd probably need a new set eventually.

Edited by Chronocidal

I voted already, so I cannot vote again for multiples, but I should've done so!

I already broke my VF-1S Roy as stated, and the VF-1J Hikaru is also showing stress marks after only a pair of transformations. Both have the original connecting piece with the knurled pin. They're great toys, except for that small piece of broken plastic that prevents them from striking proper poses in battroid and gerwalk modes!

I voted already, so I cannot vote again for multiples, but I should've done so!

I already broke my VF-1S Roy as stated, and the VF-1J Hikaru is also showing stress marks after only a pair of transformations. Both have the original connecting piece with the knurled pin. They're great toys, except for that small piece of broken plastic that prevents them from striking proper poses in battroid and gerwalk modes!

Is your VF-1J a stand alone, and where and when did you order it?

Do ones that only show some very light stress marks eventually break also? I see some on my 1D, but I wouldn't have noticed it if I weren't looking very hard and very specifically at the hinge area under very bright light.

if you continue to transform your "perfect transformation" toy the stress mark will continue growing into a crack and then eventually break

you can easily tell it broke when you're transforming your valk, by a snap, noticing a small white crescent shape piece conveniently flying through your field of view and the impending profanity

trying to superglue or epoxy the crack doesn't seem like a long term solution

no, sorry for the lack of data, it's the superparts bundle. Bought it off a shop in Hong Kong not long after it was released, not ordered online.

Oh it's cool, thanks for responding, trying to track down which retailers had a later run with smoother pins, and which batches(bundled or stand alone) had it.

Chronocidal had a stand alone with smoother pins that he got back in October, so some of the stand alone VF-1J's are actually okay.

• 2 weeks later...
I know that there are several threads. But I'm saying that there should be a sticky. because it's pretty much an FAQ. And it definitely affects all of us.

I agree too.

It would also save moderaters time so that they don't have to delete or lock so many threads. Regulars on the boards can direct them to the sticky and you won't see copies of the same thing appearing from non-regular posters who are unaware of older threads.

*sigh* If only these had the sturdiness of a 1/60 Qrau or something. :(

My original Strike Roy had both shoulders crack. I emailed over drive and received no response so I putty fixed them myself. Be nice to still get replacements since the shoulders aren't 100% colour matched atm.

All my others are fine so far (knock on wood).

Multiples

Have a total of 7 shoulders broken on 4 valks that I know of.

2 Roy Strike Valks - both sets of shoulders

Hikaru Super 1A - both shoulders

GBP bundled 1J - one shoulder

Majority are still in their boxes. May have more surprises when I eventually open them up.

The 'alternate source' advises that the replacement shoulder hinges are on schedule for delivery to him sometime in the first 10 days of February.

However, due to work related issues and the upcoming Chinese New Year Holiday in mid-February, it is anticipated that the replacements will begin shipping out to MWers starting the last week of February.

For those that have already contacted the alternate source for replacements, please PM me your shipping address, so that the database can be updated now to save time later.

Once shipping costs are known, the 'alternate source' will be in touch with a payment request for the shipping (this shouldn't be much, as the hinges are light, but padded envelopes still need to be purchased.

Graham

The 'alternate source' advises that the replacement shoulder hinges are on schedule for delivery to him sometime in the first 10 days of February.

However, due to work related issues and the upcoming Chinese New Year Holiday in mid-February, it is anticipated that the replacements will begin shipping out to MWers starting the last week of February.

For those that have already contacted the alternate source for replacements, please PM me your shipping address, so that the database can be updated now to save time later.

Once shipping costs are known, the 'alternate source' will be in touch with a payment request for the shipping (this shouldn't be much, as the hinges are light, but padded envelopes still need to be purchased.

Graham

Is it too late to place an order from the alternate source? Would there be any extras?