Decals

Ranger565

Ok I am sure I wont get many responces to this. I know some of you guys can make decals and I have made some of my own. But how in the heck does companies like, Revell, Hase make those decals you buy in their kits? I know its not done on an Alps printer. Is their some kind of device they own or have? Something one can buy commercial? I am just courious for I have spent about 2 hours tonight trying to find out. If anyone has a clue or knows a video or website that shows this I am just a courious person.

Thank you

Ranger565

AKA

Carl

Ok I am sure I wont get many responces to this. I know some of you guys can make decals and I have made some of my own. But how in the heck does companies like, Revell, Hase make those decals you buy in their kits? I know its not done on an Alps printer. Is their some kind of device they own or have? Something one can buy commercial? I am just courious for I have spent about 2 hours tonight trying to find out. If anyone has a clue or knows a video or website that shows this I am just a courious person.

Thank you

Ranger565

AKA

Carl

My guess is that they don't do it in-house.

I think they probably out-source it to a commercial printing firm. Commercial decals are, I believe, produced through a screen printing process. Some companies (i.e. Hase.) may do it themselves, but I suspect that the majority probably out source it - probably to the same printing firm that produces their packaging. Try a google search for "commercial water-slide decal manufacture" and see what you get.

If any of them do manufacture the decals in house they undoubtedly use a screen printing process as well.

That's my guess anyway.

Edited by Chas

Ok so I found this out. I dont know much about how this is done. But I did find this site.

These are the guys who look like they make MANY of the companies we buy from.

http://www.cartograf.com/

FYI. I am working on some Decals, I have made them before. I would like to know what you guys think. I am going to post a few pics to give you a heads up on what I have been up to. I really enjoy making them. who knows If the price is right I may contact this company and have some made. Not sure how much anything can be worth.

Here are some pics of things I have ideas for.

So let me know what you think. I Also will have zentron Letters and markings. I have added a few pics of stuff I have done in the past. The Destoid Leg Markings are PERFECT!!!! They fit the Side of the Leg SPOT on!

I will have Kill Marks on Both sides, So if you want to dress up Johns Pods you can do so.

If anyone is up for it I am down.

Carl

Ranger565

post-1578-1261678685_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1261678729_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1261678840_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1261678857_thumb.gif

post-1578-1261679133_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1261679179_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1261679208_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1261679260_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ranger565

Yeah, I've been working on making some as well, especially in light of the new unbuilt wht VF-1s that are coming from Yamato. My work has been mostly on scanning an reproducing, but the decals with different shades of white is an issue. I guess I could still print on clear and different scales of white will be fixed by varying amounts of black or grey pigments. So far, I have worked out the sizing more or less for the MG Moon act (is that what it's called) set, and am now working on the Paris Act version. Being that the Valks are white helps a lot, but incase it doesn't, I've been looking into getting some done professionally Since I think the unbuilt Valks don't come out til February, I think I will keep testfitting till I'm 100% happy, then go from there. I do like the decals you got there.

For anyone else who has knowledge of this art, what is a good decal brand to use? What did Anasazi use? Those decal sheets seemed to be of decent quality. Also, what do you use to seal them? is it just clear coat?

Yeah, I've been working on making some as well, especially in light of the new unbuilt wht VF-1s that are coming from Yamato. My work has been mostly on scanning an reproducing, but the decals with different shades of white is an issue. I guess I could still print on clear and different scales of white will be fixed by varying amounts of black or grey pigments. So far, I have worked out the sizing more or less for the MG Moon act (is that what it's called) set, and am now working on the Paris Act version. Being that the Valks are white helps a lot, but incase it doesn't, I've been looking into getting some done professionally Since I think the unbuilt Valks don't come out til February, I think I will keep testfitting till I'm 100% happy, then go from there. I do like the decals you got there.

For anyone else who has knowledge of this art, what is a good decal brand to use? What did Anasazi use? Those decal sheets seemed to be of decent quality. Also, what do you use to seal them? is it just clear coat?

I agree I think Decals are the best things this board could offer each other. Decals make the kit. Mixing and matching, Squardron markings. Anasazi had nice decals, not sure what he used. But i would love a variety of macross decals, Things that people would really want. Stuff for Johns Destroids, Squardons for VF-1s or any other kit you would like. I am going to contct this company find out what I need to do. See what they offer. I know its not cheep. But you never know. Maybe I could front the money work with an artist on the boards to get the stuff done. But It cant be Someone elses art. Has to be original or it would be stealing.

Nice looking decals, what kind of decal paper are you printing onto.

I use to have a load of saved websites from companys who make decals but gave up on trying to make my own.

Ive been unsuccesful in trying to make decals for my 1/144 destroids. I can print them off ok, its just when ive aplied them and given them a few coats of clear you can still tell there decals.

Nice looking decals, what kind of decal paper are you printing onto.

I use to have a load of saved websites from companys who make decals but gave up on trying to make my own.

Ive been unsuccesful in trying to make decals for my 1/144 destroids. I can print them off ok, its just when ive aplied them and given them a few coats of clear you can still tell there decals.

Using Laser jet paper. I take them to Kinkos and boom my job is done. fast and with color. FYI if your still seeing the Decals, have you tried the Future Floor wax method? That might work. Use the Future to hold in your base paint, then apply the decals, then put a small layer of future on again. it give the decal a gloss background and smooth to sit on, it seals your paint and then after its dry you add some on top of the decal to set it and you should not be able to see it anymore.

Carl

Ok I worked on the Torso Symbol of the Tomahawk. I am stuck at work tonight doing the overnight and well Nothing going on So I did this. I think its a pretty good job for what I had to work with.

What you think?

:lol:

The picture shown is a JPEG. Not as good as the BMP I have it saved in for printing.

post-1578-1261726858_thumb.jpg