Shortly after the release of At World's End, the last (and weakest) of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, there have been talks of a possible fourth Pirates film. So far, here are the details gathered over the past year:

* The new film will be a loose adaptation of the 1988 Tim Powers novel On Stranger Tides. Since the novel involves the Fountain of Youth, there should be no problem connecting it with the trilogy, as At World's End left off with Jack Sparrow and Barbossa venturing to search for the fabled fountain.
* Geoffrey Rush will be reprising his role as Barbossa.
* Keira Knightley is not interested in returning in the film as Elizabeth Swann-Turner. Same with Orlando Bloom, who played Will Turner in the trilogy.
* Gore Verbinski was to have returned as the film's director, but he was busy planning out the film adaptation of the game Bioshock (which has been put on hold). Rob Marshall (Memoirs of a Geisha, Chicago) will take the director's chair instead.
* Seeing that the Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise is nothing without Jack Sparrow, Disney announced that Johnny Depp will be paid $55.5 million to reprise his role.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is currently in pre-production and is expected to be released before Disney's remake of The Lone Ranger (which also stars Depp). Hopefully, it will be much better than At World's End.

Edited by areaseven

I would love another POTC movie

But comeon 55 million. Tells you how much the producers are making

really Recession MY ASS

seriously folks. Time to protest sh it like this. I never did mind the guy next to me having 20 or 150 more apples than me but when you have a billion apples, theft start justifying itself

Bit interested now that the 2 most boring people are gone, but Rob Marsall doing an adventure film is a joke.

On the 55 million, I bet Johnny Depp turned it down enough times to where they hit a figure (and by they I mean his lawyers and agent and managers probably did an intervention) that he couldnt refuse. But at the price that these Jack Sparrow movies, and yes they are Jack Sparrow movies, $55 is probably a bargain. I'm not saying they're good, but they make a buttload of cash. First one was awesome...

* Geoffrey Rush will be reprising his role as Barbossa.

squee ^_^

* Keira Knightley is not interested in returning in the film as Elizabeth Swann-Turner. Same with Orlando Bloom, who played Will Turner in the trilogy.

:lol:

* Gore Verbinski was to have returned as the film's director, but he was busy planning out the film adaptation of the game Bioshock (which has been put on hold). Rob Marshall (Memoirs of a Geisha, Chicago) will take the director's chair instead.

now I'm sad :(

I want that Bioshock movie to get made by the way. I F*cking love bioshock.

I really didn't care for POTC 3, but I'd still be interested in watching another one.

Story goes that they had started filming before the script was even finished. That never bodes well for any production.

Taksraven

4 can be a really unlucky number when it comes to sequels/prequels, etc, so they had better be very careful.....

Taksraven

That statement holds true for the Batman and Superman franchises, but on the contrary, more film franchises have had worse luck with the third installment - not necessarily in box office numbers, but in the story and critical reception. Aside from At World's End, here are other examples:

Beverly Hills Cop III

Shrek the Third

Spider-Man 3

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

X-Men: The Last Stand

As for Rob Marshall directing this upcoming film, what credibility does he have outside of Memoirs of a Geisha and a few musicals (which I hope On Stranger Tides doesn't turn into)?

As for Rob Marshall directing this upcoming film, what credibility does he have outside of Memoirs of a Geisha and a few musicals (which I hope On Stranger Tides doesn't turn into)?

I don't think his credibility matters - what with all the producers and financers basically dictating the tone and content (AKA all the directorial decisions) of the movie. It'll end up being the same-old-same-old, with no risky dramatic departures from the preceeding three (or first one).

Also, from the director's point of view, it makes sense to toe the line - as if this film is successful, he'll end up getting carte blanche on his next film project. A la Peter Jackson with "King Kong".

It's a shame to see Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom not returning; but it makes sense as their characters have already walked off into the sunset (or sunk into it... or whatever).

It's good that Geoffrey Rush is coming back, as he makes a good foil and counter to the Johnny Depp character. But $55.5 million USD? That just goes to show how desperate the financers are... wasn't "District 9" made for $30 million USD?

Edited by sketchley

Thought the first one was OK. Fell asleep when watching the second one on DVD. Still haven't seen the third yet.

Graham

Dead Man's Chest had its moments like introducing Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman crew, as well as the Kraken. It just wasn't as good as the first, as the cliffhanger ending seemed forced.

And you're lucky not to have seen At World's End, as it was a huge pile of crap. Here's why:

1. Norrington was a very integral character in the first two films, yet despite acquiring Davy Jones' heart, he was nothing in the third film. Worse was that he was killed in the middle of the film when the writers could have resolved his character towards the end. The movie would have been better if Norrington betrayed and killed Beckett before having a final duel with Jack.

2. The Kraken was heavily developed to be the killing machine in the second film. Unfortunately, it was simply dead in the third, having been killed off-screen by Davy Jones under orders by Beckett. What happened - the studio lacked the budget to animate the Kraken? What should have been done was let the Kraken sink a few pirate ships and then give it an epic death.

3. Will and Elizabeth's "wedding" during battle was so cliche and it somewhat ruined the scene.

Yes Norrington was a great by the book type turned rouge in Pirates 2, and then a pansy fop in number 3 WTF? that was terrible, terrible!!!!

Aside from the things areaseven mentioned, the 3rd movie also built up to this huge clash of fleets, Pirates vs East Inida Company, but not a shot was actualy fired between the bulk of the two fleets. And then there was the awesome East india Man o War that doesn't fire a shot. And lastly the movie was waaay to long. Seriously Pirates of the Caribbean triloligy was the Matrix all over again, except Pirates 2 was better than Matrix 2.

• 1 year later...

Major updates:

- The film will be released on May 20, 2011.
- The new leading lady is Penélope Cruz.
- Veteran actor Ian McShane (Tai Lung in Kung Fu Panda) will be Blackbeard, the film's villain.
- Reprising their roles are Kevin McNally as Gibbs and Keith Richards as Captain Teague.
- Mermaids will play a significant role in the film.
- Watch the new trailer...

Edited by areaseven