Looking at the pictures isn't good enough, even if we know the story. There is enough "change" in MTF that warrants further investigation into more of the nuances of the story which can only be accomplished with translation.

I've read the translated first few issues, and feel no shame in doing so. I support the franchise wholeheartedly, but this is crazy-thinking.

The issue for some isn't the willingness to spend money to support a franchise. It's about convenience of use, in this connected, on-demand world.

Your overseas dollars really don't make a considerable difference in the overall equation to "support" considering the proportion of fans outside Japan to native Japanese. For the creator/copyright holder, it's nice to know works are appreciated in other places, but primary market is always paramount. It's like if the people of Boise, ID were to boycott pineapples...

The money doesn't go directly to Mikimoto, Kawamori, etc.

For some, it's really not about being cheap or not having money. Some people simply have no time to learn proper written Japanese.

How's this for a solution:

Someone here should develop a website, which hosts all scanlated Macross works, charge a membership fee. Use that membership money to buy official macross stuff to share or distribute to the membership.

How does that sound? Or we can simple pool money to a trusted account? I'd like to see more of MTF and pay for it.

Personally I can't clutter my home with this stuff anymore.

Can we go back to talking about Macross the First, instead of rationalizing why we deserve to be given free stuff? :lol:

Agreed.

Even if it's only a small percent, the creators are still getting money from purchases. Creator rights being different in different countries and all。

Thumbing through the pages of vol 3, there's a lot of really nice artwork, though it seems Hal has over-feminized all of the main character designs over the original. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he's the original designer, and thus is the most contemporary expression of these old characters. There's really no need for a new anime series, since this exists. Only wish the flight suit designs mirrored more of the M-Zero style realistic details. At least they are not as bad as Frontier's.

To put the other issue to rest:

We all pay our money to support this franchise, but it's unfortunate that many of us are unable to get the full value out of our purchase.

Seriously the publishing company should create an app, which includes paid subscriptions to other-language versions of this comic.

Creators deserve the money, completely, so I bought the tankobon, but I lament the fact it doesn't hold much value other than the fantastic art( same as 7Trash).

To those that usually get their work translated, what's a fair rate to pay for translation? I think I know someone, but I don't want to insult them by being too cheap.

Seriously the publishing company should create an app, which includes paid subscriptions to other-language versions of this comic.

The problem with your suggestion is, that Macross the First and the other Macross manga are not popular enough to support such a business venture.

Even with the existing web-manga in Japan (limited to the mobile internet, if memory serves), no one offers a bilingual service. There's simply not enough demand to justify all of the additional expense and hassle (yes, that's right, hassle. Dealing with customers who speak the same language is challenging enough. Dealing with customers in a foreign language? That's quite an expensive proposition.)

We all pay our money to support this franchise, but it's unfortunate that many of us are unable to get the full value out of our purchase.

I sympathize, but on the other hand... how is that different from 10 years ago? Or 30 years ago? I don't think I ever remember hearing someone lamenting that a book or manga wasn't in English... heck, most people were more than satisfied just to have "a" book from the franchise. Oh, how the internet has spoiled so many...

To those that usually get their work translated, what's a fair rate to pay for translation? I think I know someone, but I don't want to insult them by being too cheap.

Shouldn't be too hard to find that information on the internet. Plenty of firms state their per-word rate on their homepages. Another option is to check your local yellow-pages and make some phone calls.

(Before I'm accused of being snippy, kurt, or whatever: I'm in Japan. Whatever price I quote will be in yen. As the yen is comparatively high right now, it'll inflate the relative price. I don't know where the poster is. A local translator to the poster will provide the most relevant information.)

Edited by sketchley

It would be nice if they would outsource an english version. The let someone else do the english, offer it for sale, and the ones who did the translation get a cut of the sale of the english version (english version only). A number of fan translation groups would probably go for that - it beats getting nothing for the work...

It would be nice if they would outsource an english version. The let someone else do the english, offer it for sale, and the ones who did the translation get a cut of the sale of the english version (english version only). A number of fan translation groups would probably go for that - it beats getting nothing for the work...

But also set's a bad precedent for licensing at their normal rates, which is exactly why it won't happen.

And how are they going to do that ? BW/Studio Nue were backstabbed by the unspeakable company and japanese companies have a very very long memory. Hell Sunrise basically banned Gundam from the west for 20 years because the Italians in the early eighties broadcast Gundam on tv more than what was agreed with the japanese. The only solution is either the unspeakable company dies and transfers all assets to someone else, or Tatsunoko revokes the Macross rights to the unspeakable company and gives them to some other licensor. But as long as the unspeakable company chokes the Macross property, and Macross doing quite well in japan well japanese authors won't give a damn about foreign sales. And that saddens me because Macross The First is fine manga. Unfortunately since I don't speak japanese, I will never ever buy it because I want to read the manga in a language I understand and not just look at the pictures.

Even if Harmony Gold's and Tatsunoko Production's rights reverted back to Big West, Macross the First still wouldn't be released in the USA. The US manga industry is in its death throes right now, the only genres that publishers are even willing to sniff are ninja, pirate, and moe manga. Not a niche license like Macross.

Even if Harmony Gold's and Tatsunoko Production's rights reverted back to Big West, Macross the First still wouldn't be released in the USA. The US manga industry is in its death throes right now, the only genres that publishers are even willing to sniff are ninja, pirate, and moe manga. Not a niche license like Macross.

Well maybe not the US, but certainly France and Italy. Mostly France as its the most important manga market right after Japan.

And learning french or italian is 2 orders of magnitude easier than learning japanese. :p

That's all relative...

... to your native language(s).

Sure I'll be more precise then. For european and american audiences learning another latin based language is easier than learning japanese or god forbid chinese. Of course in a group of 30 people you can always find the one gifted for languages and he'll take up japanese as easily as any other language. But in average and considering any kind of metric japanese is objectively more difficult to learn and master than other western languages.

Well maybe not the US, but certainly France and Italy. Mostly France as its the most important manga market right after Japan.

And learning french or italian is 2 orders of magnitude easier than learning japanese. :p

In France, mangas with mecha are absolutely not popular. Gundam manga (The Origin and Ecole du Ciel) for example are a flop.

The market in France is also too saturated. Publishers release mainly what is marketable. As TheLoneWolf said, Macross is a niche license.

In Italy, there is more chance I think.

But in average and considering any kind of metric japanese is objectively more difficult to learn and master than other western languages.

It depends. If you really want to learn a language you can succeed.

Edited by Jefferson

I think that people should just resign themselves to the fact, that unless something absolutely incredible happens, there simply will not be a release of Macross the First outside of Japan.

well, gotta say it : F&^% HG, amungst others...

It depends. If you really want to learn a language you can succeed.

This probably sums it up best.

Just look at the people who've learned Klingon and Elvish! Those things are made up!

Sure I'll be more precise then. For european and american audiences learning another latin based language is easier than learning japanese or god forbid chinese. Of course in a group of 30 people you can always find the one gifted for languages and he'll take up japanese as easily as any other language. But in average and considering any kind of metric japanese is objectively more difficult to learn and master than other western languages.

Going to get picky: English is Germanic, not a Romance language. Nevertheless, as they're all part of the Indo-European family...

... nevertheless, learning Japanese also entails learning aspects of Chinese, thereby making Chinese easier, despite it being a different language family.

... and if I remember my university days correctly, North American English speakers complained about learning Russian (didn't hear many complaints about other languages).

Also, I'm going to stand by: English is probably the most difficult language to learn, whatever measurement you use. It's just messed up!

Anyhow... we should probably get back on topic...

Edited by sketchley

I don't have the First because I can't read it and don't have the time/drive to learn Japanese. The pictures look pretty but that isn't enough to justify me spending money on it. I just like to come here to hear people repeat as much of the updates/changes as is possible.

Also, I'm going to stand by: English is probably the most difficult language to learn, whatever measurement you use. It's just messed up!

To learn it 100% correct this is true, however it's one of the easiest to untangle if/when the grammar is incorrect. Either that or English speaking people are far more tolerant/patient when it comes to understanding foreigners who might not completely grasp the language and we will take the time to make it make sense. Either way, you won't get that level of commitment from someone in France and I've never had any Japanese people give me the time when I was attempting to learn it back in College.

To learn it 100% correct this is true, however it's one of the easiest to untangle if/when the grammar is incorrect.

I disagree. When the exception is the rule, you know it's messed up.

But I guess that's part and parcel with being a lingua franca (which is odd, considering that Bahasa Malay is apparently easy to learn).

Either way, you won't get that level of commitment from someone in France and I've never had any Japanese people give me the time when I was attempting to learn it back in College.

It's a shame you've only ever met urbanites (though, interestingly, the same complaint is oft heard from non-English speakers when referring to English speakers!)

Anyhow, 17 more days until the next chapter!

I disagree. When the exception is the rule, you know it's messed up.

But I guess that's part and parcel with being a lingua franca (which is odd, considering that Bahasa Malay is apparently easy to learn).

I don’t know why we ended up talking about languages but I can tell you English is one of the simplest ones around, probably due to its very basic grammar. This is one of the reasons –not the most important though- for having become the current lingua franca. I can speak 4 languages and can more or less understand other 3, but English is certainly not the hardest –although it’s probably in the group of the other 3 :-P

I started learning Japanese some years ago and while I can’t tell I remember anything at all I seem to remember it wasn’t too complicated. Sadly enough, I haven’t got the time to start all over again, so I was expecting you to come out with some MTF translations one of these days, any chance of it? ;):p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm liking it so far...so cool to see a refreshed version of the series.

The Macross' design is closer to DYRL then the series which is great imo.

Minmei as a pinup girl? Sure why not lol!

Can't wait for more!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally read the first 2 volumes translated, & i got to say, at first i didn't like the pedo-looking character re-designs seen on some of the cover art. Misa & Minmei looked all of 12 years old.

But since it is toned down a bit in the actual manga it didn't distract from a very well done & reworked events of a classic storyline. It was an exciting read even though you generally knew what was going to happen.

And if you are just looking at the illustrations you will be pleasantly wrong once you discover the actual dialogue. I'm very impressed.

Now i got to find volume 3 translated....