A better scan of the VF1J "The first" in the 2011 calendar that comes with Macross Ace, courtesy of Nippondodododo

%2812%29.JPG

That is one mean looking VF-1J. Its like it's saying don't mess with me or I'll shove my gunpod up your arse. :D

Just finished drooling over episode 7. Man, this manga keeps getting better and better.

Awesome mecha action (everyone gets it's spotlight moment), marvellous character designs, excellent retelling.

Mikimoto and his crew delivered us our beloved classic Macross story in wonderful new clothes: everything we loved it's still there, but seems incredibly fresh.

Outstading.

Mikimoto and his crew delivered us our beloved classic Macross story in wonderful new clothes: everything we loved it's still there, but seems incredibly fresh. Outstading.

indeed. it'd be great to see a faithful Anime adaption...

Edited by Shaorin

I'm glad this retelling is in manga version. It looks and it works great like that. I really don't like remakes. The series and the movie are already classics and I'm sure this manga will be some day.

I couldn't agree more. Well said!

Edited by Gubaba

I like the new head but not the color scheme.

The color scheme is more an extension of what was started in Mac Zero and DYRL.

At first I thought the number on the top of the fuselage was a bit jarring, but in context with the battroid mode it makes sense. However the angle of it is more artistic than military...

Although I am not grooving on the extra red paint on in front of the cockpit. That should remain all black as typical of military aircraft. However that is a personal preference.

Hikaru's VF-1J looks pretty neat, and I dig some of the changes on the VF-1D. Do Max and Roy's VF-1's look any different, than their TV counterparts, or are Hikaru's VF-1J and the VF-1D the only ones changed(aside from canopy/cockpit)?

The VF-1S is pretty much the same, but Max's VF-1 looks exactly like a Destroid Tomahawk. :D

The VF-1S is pretty much the same, but Max's VF-1 looks exactly like a Destroid Tomahawk. :D

We see Max's VF-1A earlier and it looks pretty much the same too.

This is the second variation of Hikaru's VF-1J in Macross the First, since the design in the manga has a different cockpit area. It doesn't have the DYRL-style Skull Squadron canopy cover.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm telling you guys... I'm pretty sure the project for the upcoming 30th Anniversary Celebration (2012!!!) will be an Anime TV series adaptation of the manga... or a 4-6 part OVA at least...

Improbable since the manga won't be done for at least a few years at the current pacing.

I'm telling you guys... I'm pretty sure the project for the upcoming 30th Anniversary Celebration (2012!!!) will be an Anime TV series adaptation of the manga... or a 4-6 part OVA at least...

I wouldn't be upset with that. MtF should be the way Macross is to be redone, if it was going to be. That said, with the new Frontier movie coming out this month, they'll probably still be riding high on Frontier, as it's probably generated the most popularity for them since the original SDF Macross.

Well it isn't Tinkerbell, where we clap really loud and chant, "I believe in Macross" and it will happen.

A full blown series requires a major sponsor like Bandai, who tend to insist on exclusive merch rights to the mecha. That would require either redesigns of the mecha OR a revocation of all the existing licenses already out there. A very big gamble for Big West.

Another scenario is for a consortium of small sponsors to pony up a large amount of cash for the series to keep their respective licenses.

A third scenario (already mentioned) is a special 5 part OVA series condensing SDFM into 2.5 hours or ideally 5 hours which is still a significant investment for smaller sponsers given the costs associated with quality CG anime.

If it will happen at all, I would expect either the first or last scenario to take place and it would have to be in the planning stages NOW!

Macross Zero was a textbook case on how to loose the interest of your target audience with excessive production delays. Satellite had about a quarter of Frontier's total episodes in the pipeline before the show even aired.

B))

Edited by Zinjo

Well it isn't Tinkerbell, where we clap really loud and chant, "I believe in Macross" and it will happen.

A full blown series requires a major sponsor like Bandai, who tend to insist on exclusive merch rights to the mecha. That would require either redesigns of the mecha OR a revocation of all the existing licenses already out there. A very big gamble for Big West.

Another other scenario is for a consortium of small sponsors to pony up a large amount of cash for the series to keep their respective licenses.

A third scenario (already mentioned) is a special 5 part OVA series condensing SDFM into 2.5 hours or ideally 5 hours which is still a significant investment for smaller sponsers given the costs associated with quality CG anime.

If it will happen at all, I would expect either the first or last scenario to take place and it would have to be in the planning stages NOW!

Macross Zero was a textbook case on how to loose the interest of your target audience with excessive production delays. Satellite had about a quarter of Frontier's total episodes in the pipeline before the show even aired.

B))

I heard that the commercial failure of Macross Zero and overall lack of confidence in the Macross name circa 2007 was so intense that there were few backers for Frontier, right up until the Deculture Edition aired. When it proved a hit with unexpected ratings, then Bandai et al joined the game big time and marketing hype kicked into full gear.

I heard that the commercial failure of Macross Zero and overall lack of confidence in the Macross name circa 2007 was so intense that there were few backers for Frontier, right up until the Deculture Edition aired. When it proved a hit with unexpected ratings, then Bandai et al joined the game big time and marketing hype kicked into full gear.

no sh*t. if you poop on the product, or screw away how you conduct the project... of course, it'll be looked upon as hacked crap. it was great right up to the last because of the rush job. there was sequences missing that would have made more sence to make it a 6-ep OVA... in the end, it took too much time between episodes, the toys & models made wasnt as popular as result, thus the whole stigma attached to Zero...

but Zero is still better than MII:LA... at least they made more stuff...

in the end, it took too much time between episodes, the toys & models made wasnt as popular as result, thus the whole stigma attached to Zero...

I'll agree that there was too much time between episodes, but that's not the main reason why it wasn't popular (in Japan).

If memory serves, the toys & models were more popular than the series...

I'll agree that there was too much time between episodes, but that's not the main reason why it wasn't popular (in Japan).

If memory serves, the toys & models were more popular than the series...

I think we've all debated the merits of the story of Mac Zero to death on these boards.

Clearly more time was spent on the stunning CG sequences and less on polishing the script into a coherent story..*cough* Skycrawlers *cough*:rolleyes:

Can we get some more scans of some of the better covers/character shots/mecha shots? Not asking for translations or anything, I just want to see what kind of awesomeness Mikimoto is putting out.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

Can we get some more scans of some of the better covers/character shots/mecha shots? Not asking for translations or anything, I just want to see what kind of awesomeness Mikimoto is putting out.

Here you go

Macross The First Vol. #1

Macross The First Vol. #2

Macross The First Vol. #3

Macross The First Vol. #4

Macross The First Vol. #5

Here you go

Macross The First Vol. #1

Macross The First Vol. #2

Macross The First Vol. #3

Macross The First Vol. #4

Macross The First Vol. #5

...and it's shenanigans like this that make me realize that releasing my scanlation out to the general public would be an extremely unwise move... <_<

...and it's shenanigans like this that make me realize that releasing my scanlation out to the general public would be an extremely unwise move... <_<

I dunno, if Big West wanted to be a part of the English market, they would release an English edition. Other then Macross II and Plus (which I am very thankful for) they have shown they don't really care about distribution to North America. It really is only a matter of time before an English translation is made available through some source, it is just a shame that Big West wasn't that source. I shake my head at how easy it would have been to include English subs on All the Macross Blu-Ray's and what that could have done to further their sales. It is the same for these comics. It does take time, but it isn't exactly like translating Don Quixote if you know what I mean...its a comic. Also, it is an incredibly safe venture because they have already relied on the Japanese market to cover the actual production costs, even if an English edition failed (which it wouldn't) they would essentially only lose the cost of the paper its printed on.

Anyway, it is just sad that we always get left out. I think even though there are less fans of Macross in North America, we tend to be pretty rabid and would support any honest attempts at English Macross distribution.

I am not taking a side, but I (like many others) enjoy collecting and having an item in hand to read from, not clicking a button on the computer, and I would love English editions.

I am not taking a side, but I (like many others) enjoy collecting and having an item in hand to read from, not clicking a button on the computer, and I would love English editions.

So, support Macross by BUYING it. When people realize that there's money to made in English speaking markets, they are going to spend money to create materials specifically for the English speaking markets.

By not buying and making available/downloading (aka stealing) the material, you're not only killing the chance for a professional English version, you're also hurting it in the domestic market and any non-English speaking markets it's been, being or soon to be released in.

So, support Macross by BUYING it. When people realize that there's money to made in English speaking markets, they are going to spend money to create materials specifically for the English speaking markets.

By not buying and making available/downloading (aka stealing) the material, you're not only killing the chance for a professional English version, you're also hurting it in the domestic market and any non-English speaking markets it's been, being or soon to be released in.

Yep!

Justify it how ever you might like, but around here most take supporting the franchise merchandise very seriously.

It's one thing to publish scans of material that is no longer in print, but another to release scans of actively published Macross materials.

It is not a popular thing around here....

Just so you know...:mellow:

Justify it how ever you might like, but around here most take supporting the franchise merchandise very seriously.

It's just a sad justification - the sense of entitlement (I fan! Give free!) and placing the responsibility on Big West's shoulders - are Big West even involved in distributing domestically? Sure they may be the sponsors and copyright holders, but do they distribute Macross?

Well, I wasn't interested in buying Macross the first before looking at those scans. I own the Argentine edition of Macross7 Trash and was disapointed by the storyline, I didn't want to blindy spend money on another Macross manga only to be dissapointed again.

But seeing the great art and the action packed scenes I'm now all for buying the tomes when the Argentine edition comes out.

So, it's not all bad, and downloading is not necesarilly stealing. Besides those scans are slopy at best...

Well, I wasn't interested in buying Macross the first before looking at those scans.

Haven't you read any of the reviews?

downloading is not necessarily stealing

:rolleyes: Does the uploader have the permission of the copyright holder or licensee?

Can a moderator moderate the post? B))

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. IIRC, our prohibition against posting scans from Macross the First, Ace, et al was merely a gentleman's agreement amongst us members, not an official MW policy. You can try asking Shawn or the mods to make it an actual rule, but I don't see that happening.

I dunno, if Big West wanted to be a part of the English market, they would release an English edition. Other then Macross II and Plus (which I am very thankful for) they have shown they don't really care about distribution to North America.

If you want to know why Big West isn't pushing any more Macross products in the USA, you should read this post. Though I don't recommend reading the rest of the comments in that thread, unless you want to kill off some of your brain cells. :p

Haven't you read any of the reviews?

I have, but it's not the same trusting a review than taking a look at the manga in a bookstore or magazine stand (or in this case downloading some bad scans) and have a _preview_ with your own eyes of the material and see if you're actually interested in it.

:rolleyes: Does the uploader have the permission of the copyright holder or licensee?

Did I said the something about uploading?

In most countries downloading unlicensed material from internet is not illegal, uploading said material is. (unless you live in the US and get caught by the RIAA or MPAA for example)

Don't get me wrong, I think what you're doing promoting the purchase of original material and supporting the franchise is great. But not all of us have the means to import the material to our countries or the time to learn japanese 'only' to fully enjoy said material.

I'll probably have to wait years for the local edition of Macross the first to come out, which will only be published after a few recopilatory tomes are released in Japan.

In the meantime, if I have the oportunity of a sneak preview at the actual manga, I'll take it.