does it cover all the episodes published until now in NA?

Just picked it up today, and yes it does.

Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder...

If "Tales of South Ataria Island" is Mikimoto's way of shoehorning some of the events from the post-war episodes into the comic. I mean...we've got an attack that hits the city on Christmas, we've got the Bridge Bunnies rushing to get to the Macross's bridge to find Global and Claudia (and Misa) already there... it all seems somewhat familiar.

Just picked it up today, and yes it does.

Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder...

If "Tales of South Ataria Island" is Mikimoto's way of shoehorning some of the events from the post-war episodes into the comic. I mean...we've got an attack that hits the city on Christmas, we've got the Bridge Bunnies rushing to get to the Macross's bridge to find Global and Claudia (and Misa) already there... it all seems somewhat familiar.

Not sure, but wasn't the original series planned for only 27 episodes? If so, this may be Mikimoto's way of keeping to that original plan....suits me fine as this story has already strayed a bit from the original.....I just hope it does not become the new "canon" version of the events of SDFM Space War I....I saw from the pics posted that there is some Mac 0 stuff....so maybe... :(

Edited by jvmacross

Not sure, but wasn't the original series planned for only 27 episodes? If so, this may be Mikimoto's way of keeping to that original plan....suits me fine as this story has already strayed a bit from the original.....I just hope it does not become the new "canon" version of the events of SDFM Space War I....I saw from the pics posted that there is some Mac 0 stuff....so maybe... :(

Do you really think "canon" means much in Macross?

Do you really think "canon" means much in Macross?

yes and no...before MtF...SDFM TV was canon......just like Macross 7 was cannon before FB7.....now it's possibly some TV show dramatization of the events of that time.....but yeah....you have a point.....can we all just fold back to 1982? ;)

yes and no...before MtF...SDFM TV was canon......just like Macross 7 was cannon before FB7.....now it's possibly some TV show dramatization of the events of that time.....but yeah....you have a point.....can we all just fold back to 1982? ;)

I think you're overthinking it...

And anyway, Big West decides what's canon (since they own Macross). They don't publish Macross the First, but they DO have a stake in the SDFM Blu-rays... so I think you're safe. B))

So now that the book is out, what does everyone think? As I said before, I think the story is beginning to meander and drag a little too much, and I hope it gets back on track soon. Do y'all agree, or no?

Interestingly, the book comes with a questionnaire, and among more typical questions ("How did you find out about this book?" "Who is your favorite character?"), they ask "Where would you like the story to go?" with two possible answers: "Follow the TV series" and "Tell an original story."

I'm checking the former box.

I have the feeling that Kadokawa want a sort of flashback just like Gundam The Origin.

Good point.

Still, it's worth noting that before the flashback chapters of The Origin began, Gundam Ace asked fans "Do you want a flashback section?" and the overwhelming majority said yes.

I don't think the same thing happened here (unless I just missed the poll...).

I think Mikimoto should stick to the TV series (albeit with some twists, so as to make it stay fresh even for us old timers) but the flashback (if done a la Gundam Origin) are a welcome addition. What worries me is Mikimoto's unpredictability. I hope he doesn't lose interest in Macross and gets to the end of the story. M7 Trash wasn't exactly Sheakespeare, and there weren't even Mechas there!!!

I think Mikimoto should stick to the TV series (albeit with some twists, so as to make it stay fresh even for us old timers) but the flashback (if done a la Gundam Origin) are a welcome addition. What worries me is Mikimoto's unpredictability. I hope he doesn't lose interest in Macross and gets to the end of the story. M7 Trash wasn't exactly Sheakespeare, and there weren't even Mechas there!!!

Hell yeah, there were! Or do you mean to tell me that jet boots AREN'T mecha...?

So now that the book is out, what does everyone think? As I said before, I think the story is beginning to meander and drag a little too much, and I hope it gets back on track soon. Do y'all agree, or no?

Interestingly, the book comes with a questionnaire, and among more typical questions ("How did you find out about this book?" "Who is your favorite character?"), they ask "Where would you like the story to go?" with two possible answers: "Follow the TV series" and "Tell an original story."

I'm checking the former box.

I don't have the books yet (I only have volume 1, I read most of it serialized), but I would actually tick the latter box. I would much rather have the intrigue. I don't need it to follow the TV series, I have the Blu-rays for that.

I don't have the books yet (I only have volume 1, I read most of it serialized), but I would actually tick the latter box. I would much rather have the intrigue. I don't need it to follow the TV series, I have the Blu-rays for that.

I'm thinking of checking the latter box, too.

Anyhow, I recommend that you pick this one up, Renato, as it's appended with a 13+ page interview of Kawamori and Mikimoto on the 30th anniversary.

If I had more faith in Mikimoto as a writer, I'd check the "Tell an Original Story" box, but I kinda don't... :unsure:

I'm thinking of checking the latter box, too.

Anyhow, I recommend that you pick this one up, Renato, as it's appended with a 13+ page interview of Kawamori and Mikimoto on the 30th anniversary.

Oh, OK, then. Sure it's not a reprint of that one they did a couple months back for Newtype Ace? I'll have a look for it, anyway. Thanks!

I would pick the "Tell an Original Story" box ! We already seen the tv show... I mean the ending will be the same anyway, Hikaru will pick Misa over Minmay , Minmay will become a big star, Roy Focker will die, Max & Millia be together. yadda yadda.. Their faith or their ending will be the same but how do they get there. The road just be different but end of the road be the same.

Just like the movie do you remember love & tv macross series is different but same ending. Think outside the box like new star trek movie or how many reincarnation of marvel and dc comic over the years.

just in my opinion .

Edited by TisSweet

I would pick the "Tell an Original Story" box ! We already seen the tv show... I mean the ending will be the same anyway, Hikaru will pick Misa over Minmay , Minmay will become a big star, Roy Focker will die, Max & Millia be together. yadda yadda.. Their faith or their ending will be the same but how do they get there. The road just be different but end of the road be the same.

Just like the movie do you remember love & tv macross series is different but same ending. Think outside the box like new star trek movie or how many reincarnation of marvel and dc comic over the years.

just in my opinion .

If it were almost anybody else doing the manga, I'd agree with you... but this is Mikimoto. All of his comics to date have ended up plotless and going on way too long. Macross the First seems to be leaning in the same direction, so I'd like a little course-correction at this point.

Okay I understand everyone saying about Mikimoto might go off from the story ended up plot-less and going on way too long. But think about it, in the movie version Roy died from the hand of unnamed (Kamajin) zetradi. In the TV version he died from battle of the Meltradi. Think about it the Manga version he can die from a poison Pineapple salad from Claudia or he can die from a friendly fire from Hikaru.

I really don’t think Mikimoto will go out of space and started to add mumbo-jumbo. Oh wait the story is in out of space…. Anyway I think the story already got an outline … we already know where characters is going the end up… just stir up the pot a little. I mean I would love to see the manga version of Lynn Minmay, my fair Minmay.

I mean this can be the “REAL” canon story.

Edited by TisSweet

Part 3 of my heart felt emotional Crazy Rant Follow the TV series" VS "Tell an original story.

The reason why I’m so pushing for an original story instead the TV show is, since I just finished watching macross the TV show few months ago, Is still fresh in my mind. When I was reading chapter 4 of the macross the first, You know when Minamay and Hikaru got trap inside the SDF. It like I was reading the cel animation storyboards. (I know that’s the iconic part of the story.) But it was like almost word for word,scene for scene. It was kind of boring when I reading it.

It reminds me when they redid the movie psyco in 1998 (I never seen the movie by the way) … word for word same exact scene from the original psyco. (Which I did see). The only think was different it was different actor and it was in color.

I mean for example who seen the new spider-man movie the 2012 version. Did anybody really like it… no. Because we just had same spider-movie a decade ago. Peter Parker in high school being bully, spider bit him,uncle getting killed, recuse his girlfriend at the end, etc.… SSDD. Same Sh!T Different DAY. I hope is okay for me curse. I don’t want anybody to be offending by it. I just want to put my point across.

Once again I don’t think Mikimoto is going to have that much of a problem doing the original story. I mean, he not going decide or figure out which character to kill off first, is it going to be Roy or is it going to be lynn kaifun... is going to be Roy. Who going to be second charter to kill off is it going to be Max or Kakizaki… is going to be kakizaki. Who Hikaru going to be pick, Minmay ,Misa,Vannesa,Kim or Shammy…he
going to pick Misa. So Mikimoto really don’t have a problem there.

Who to say Mikimoto does go the tv version route and still ended up being plot-less and going on way too long...so everyone please pick tell original story.

okay I think my emotions is finally out of me. I,m done here. I think.

Edited by TisSweet