• 2 months later...

I gotta say, I'm with Tochiro and Renato in wondering if Macross the First is in danger of running off the rails into (admittedly gorgeous-to-look-at) incoherence and plotlessness...just like all of Mikimoto's other comics.

It certainly seems to be heading there...

Well, or halted for some indeterminate time.

No, it's not actually halted. Gubaba is referring to the new issue which just came out over the weekend -- it's a prequel side-story chapter, instead of continuing the story so far (and note also that the previous couple of issues have all been "people discussing stuff in meetings" -- ooh, exciting!).

This is somewhat disturbing...

It seems par for the course for Mikimoto's comics. Everything he's done that I've read (Marionette Generation, Macross 7 Trash, L'Ecole du ciel... hell, even Baby Birth, even though he didn't write that) has ended up plotless and dragging on too long. Usually by about Volume 5, it gets to the point where I wish I could tell him, "This story's going nowhere. Just end it now."

My hope was that since Macross already has a finished storyline, he'd stick to that and keep the plot tight. But he's hasn't been doing that since Volume 2.

Is it common for most high profile manga artists to have yearly breaks in between issues?

I know the guy that does Berserk has been sitting on the latest issue for a while.

It happens. I've been collecting the manga version of Evangalion since, oh, the late '90's. Once the double-oh's started, the pace of release has slowed from one every half year or so to one every 1.5 to 2 years.

I think a better question might be: is it common for famous artists working on high-profile manga who can afford to take an extended period of time off without fear of negatively impacting their readership, to take yearly breaks between issues?

It happens. I've been collecting the manga version of Evangalion since, oh, the late '90's. Once the double-oh's started, the pace of release has slowed from one every half year or so to one every 1.5 to 2 years.

I think a better question might be: is it common for famous artists working on high-profile manga who can afford to take an extended period of time off without fear of negatively impacting their readership, to take yearly breaks between issues?

Yeah, that Evangelion manga is one slow burn manga to collect. Started at the same time as the TV series did it not? It's a shame that the releases are are so far removed from each other really because it's really good.

I think in the case of guys like Sadamoto and Mikimoto, they just have other work that distracts them or takes up their time in such a way that they can't really focus on a manga. I do hope Mikimoto does bring Macross the First to some kind of satisfying conclusion.

Edited by Marzan

• 3 weeks later...

I too am concerned about the lack of available content for the next tankobon, especially given how many issues of Newtype Ace havent featured any new content at all. I wonder if the Tales of Ataria Island side story will wrap up by then...

Chopper - I believe the general consensus (or at least, most frequently expressed view in this thread) is that most of the material is based on a story that is well known anyway, so even without pirates scanlating it most people can get the basics from Mikimotos gorgeous artwork.

Hmmm, the latest chapter has made the Tales of Ataria more interesting and is connecting Zero to the events of the original which is a good thing imo. But the manga seems to me like a chocolate chip cookie when all you have is chocolate chips - theres all this cool stuff, but theres no sense of overall plot - nothing filling...yet.

Also, you can still fight when you're drunk...on Heineken!

post-9325-0-09201900-1360422812_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, the latest chapter has made the Tales of Ataria more interesting and is connecting Zero to the events of the original which is a good thing imo. But the manga seems to me like a chocolate chip cookie when all you have is chocolate chips - theres all this cool stuff, but theres no sense of overall plot - nothing filling...yet.

attachicon.gifHeineken.jpg

Great, now I have to switch brands. Thanks, Focker.

Hmmm,

the latest chapter has made the Tales of Ataria more interesting and is

connecting Zero to the events of the original which is a good thing

imo. But the manga seems to me like a chocolate chip cookie when all you

have is chocolate chips - theres all this cool stuff, but theres no

sense of overall plot - nothing filling...yet.

I'm more impressed Focker can actually stomach enough Heineken to get drunk...It's not meant for export without reason. Supplies must be running low on the Macross.

Edited by Bri

Erm, to put a bit of context into the scene: it's after he's landed, and had time to change out of his pilot suit. To top that off, he buys it from a vending machine.

Gotta love Japan!

BeerVendingMachine.jpg

Edited by sketchley

I bought a 4 litre glass jug of Asahi from a vendi in Japan once, it was outrageous., but then again, you can get used panties from a vending machine there too.

You just HAD to mention that last one...

what about the vegetables, rice or meat available at some vending machines?

but then again, you can get used panties from a vending machine there too.

It happened 1 time, about 15-20 years ago. Everyone complained, and they got rid of it.

I'm not saying you can't buy used panties, you just have to go to a physical (brick and mortar) sex shop to do so.

(EDIT for clarification of physical sex shop)

Edited by Jefuemon

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 4 litre glass jug of Asahi from a vendi in Japan once, it was outrageous., but then again, you can get used panties from a vending machine there too.

TMI dude TMI