Ground Vehicle Set

MechTech

It's about time ahiachris, I thought you died or something ^_^ That will make the 1/72nd guys happy since they have been waiting years for somebody to do the ground vehicles in resin! - MT

I FINALLY got to get some work done on the Sugarfoot.

post-2518-1267328387_thumb.jpg As before, I milled down a larger block of styrene. REALLY simple process. Take your Dremmel milling bit and put it into a drill press with a mini fence on it. Push the block back and forth (safely) making passes and keep moving the fence gradually until the stock block is the shape you want. I'll be getting an X Y table to cheat at this ^_^

post-2518-1267328546_thumb.jpg The Sugarfoot has those lines down the side and it would be a major pain to glue strips, so I engraved strips into it. Plus they will survive abuse better when handling.

post-2518-1267328625_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1267328632_thumb.jpg Where I am at so far...

I am considering just doing a whole set of ALL these vehicle and selling it, "Insta Macross Ground Ensamble." I have to figure cost. But I will sell one offs too. - MT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you have to go AROUND the block to get to your destination. I didn't like the wheel I pieced together for the Sugarfoot. No that I have the X-Y table on my drill press (making it a light mill), I decided to make a rotary table since no one makes one that small.

The case is 1/4" styrene in most places and .080" thick where strength wasn't an issue. Here's some photos in brief:

post-2518-1270006204_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1270006238_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=77004:Rotary_T...ailstock.JPG]

You can lathe with this, only the piece turns slowly and the drill bit spins fast. Take the tailstock off (which fits just right into my vice as shown) and you can machine something right in the drill chuck, like styrene dowel (made from squares). That's how I got my new wheels. Picture to come.

Note my ghetto fabulous index points on the rotary box, I bought a cheap compass and used the backing. Lay the box on it's side and rotate the table to a point on the compass. Now you can drill holes around something in uniform. - MT

post-2518-1270006273_thumb.jpg

Sometimes you have to go AROUND the block to get to your destination. I didn't like the wheel I pieced together for the Sugarfoot. No that I have the X-Y table on my drill press (making it a light mill), I decided to make a rotary table since no one makes one that small.

The case is 1/4" styrene in most places and .080" thick where strength wasn't an issue. Here's some photos in brief:

post-2518-1270006204_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1270006238_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=77004:Rotary_T...ailstock.JPG]

You can lathe with this, only the piece turns slowly and the drill bit spins fast. Take the tailstock off (which fits just right into my vice as shown) and you can machine something right in the drill chuck, like styrene dowel (made from squares). That's how I got my new wheels. Picture to come.

Note my ghetto fabulous index points on the rotary box, I bought a cheap compass and used the backing. Lay the box on it's side and rotate the table to a point on the compass. Now you can drill holes around something in uniform. - MT

Man thats crazy, LOL, I need your skills

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays in updates. I've been working some crazy hours lately. Here's where I am so far...

post-2518-1271121042_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1271121060_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1271121081_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1271121101_thumb.jpg I used the rotary table to make the wheel. That's the tip of an X-acto knife next to it. Next I'm on to the seat and steering column. - MT

Thank you guys. At long last (evil laughing voice) mooaw hah hah! I've completed the last vehicle in the set!!! The bad thing about using a really close up lens, it shows every speck of dirt and flaw. It also blurs stuff outside the center of focus (which is only a couple of millimeters away!. So here it is. The rear metal handle rail will have to be glued on separately.

post-2518-1271716627_thumb.jpg All parts with dime and X-Acto blade to show size. post-2518-1271716651_thumb.jpg I don't know if this takes gas, diesel or fryer left overs, but it has a gas cap!

post-2518-1271716734_thumb.jpg Note the leather seats :ppost-2518-1271716801_thumb.jpg Note the glove compartment and Bose sound system :ph34r:

post-2518-1271716859_thumb.jpg And finally what the Imai 1/100 looks like next to my little baby. See what I mean about focus? Oh well. I'm done! I'll be ordering molding supplies in a week or two!- MT

Thank you guys. At long last (evil laughing voice) mooaw hah hah! I've completed the last vehicle in the set!!! The bad thing about using a really close up lens, it shows every speck of dirt and flaw. It also blurs stuff outside the center of focus (which is only a couple of millimeters away!. So here it is. The rear metal handle rail will have to be glued on separately.

post-2518-1271716627_thumb.jpg All parts with dime and X-Acto blade to show size. post-2518-1271716651_thumb.jpg I don't know if this takes gas, diesel or fryer left overs, but it has a gas cap!

post-2518-1271716734_thumb.jpg Note the leather seats :ppost-2518-1271716801_thumb.jpg Note the glove compartment and Bose sound system :ph34r:

post-2518-1271716859_thumb.jpg And finally what the Imai 1/100 looks like next to my little baby. See what I mean about focus? Oh well. I'm done! I'll be ordering molding supplies in a week or two!- MT

Love that little wheel. Looks great.

Should you need it (and I'd almost say you don't) Matt @ Laserfire Creations has good prices on laser cut parts and specializes in tiny parts (he cut some 1/20 boot tread for me).

Thanks Kylwell. There's actually an engraver by my house. Plus I'm building up a CNC router after dreaming about it for years. Many items I'll still have to build ole' school though! - MT

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sometimes life gets in the way and your plans get all messed up! My employer will be sending me off to do some work at a remote site. That means I will probably not be able to get any casting done. I will try and see what I can do. My apologies for NOT getting these casted like I wanted to and said I would. And here I was bummed that no one else got their ground vehicles casted so long ago. I guess the shoe is on the other foot now!

I'm hoping I will still be able to post. Currently my employer blocks MW from work so I'm hoping I'll even be able to post! My deepest apologies! - MT

• 3 weeks later...