Display Stands

Macross_Fanboy

I really don't like how light the newer, cheaper-made flexi-stands are. The lack of extra weight on the hollow base makes putting larger Valks on them unstable. A friend bought the set of 3, and after handling them, I don't like them. I prefer the older versions. I wish I could acquire more. It's too bad LAFtoys decided not to sell the older versions anymore. It totally sucks that Yamato doesn't include a stand with every Valk. Add insult to injury, they sell the VF-22S Gamlin for the same price as the YF-21 WITH A STAND! I wonder why they discontinued including stands? Are they even producing new shipments of their over-priced large stands considering they pack every new Valk with the adapters?

The old launch arm has been discontinued, the adapters are for new Mighty Block stands (which are junk anyways).

• 4 weeks later...
I really don't like how light the newer, cheaper-made flexi-stands are. The lack of extra weight on the hollow base makes putting larger Valks on them unstable. A friend bought the set of 3, and after handling them, I don't like them. I prefer the older versions.

I have to agree. Although I do like the newer flex-stands I like the solid feel of the older version better. If we could get the solid base back along with stronger bracing plate that doen't crack under pressure that would be awesome. Oh and the clear rubber thingys instead of the black ones. Overall it's a good stand, but it appears the new style cut down on the shipping weight and cost of packaging while comprising the quality of it. Somewhat watered down while maintaining the price like many things today. I can remember when bananna bites (laffy taffy today) were 5 cents each when I was a kid. Today they cost a quarter each and they're about 1/3 their original size. I don't mind the increase in price, but please don't sucker with an inferior product for more money! :angry:

• 2 months later...

I own a Mighty Block stand, and I personally think it's okay--does a decent job of what's it's designed to do. Even when mounting a VF-22S Gamlin (jet mode) on it at a tilted angle, it looks very stable and secure.

The only bummer about it is that it cannot support Battroid mode for the larger VF's like the MacZero (I think) and MacPlus lines (actually, can it even support Battroid mode for 1/60 VF-1's? Haven't tried it myself.). In fact, it can't even support the YF-19 figs in jet mode due to unbalanced weight distribution.

Personally, I don't use stands for Battroid mode (IMO, unlike the Revoltech figs, the legs on most Yamato VF's aren't poseable enough to make truly dynamic aerial poses, anyways). Since jet mode is probably the most stable configuration for use with the Mighty Block, I prefer to save some money and buy a few more Mighty Blocks for my Valks. Of course, I'll still have to get a few of those re-issued Launch arm stands for my VF-0A and Macplus figs.

BTW, is the reissued Launch Arm stand able to support display on Battroid mode like the old versions?

I own a Mighty Block stand, and I personally think it's okay--does a decent job of what's it's designed to do. Even when mounting a VF-22S Gamlin (jet mode) on it at a tilted angle, it looks very stable and secure.

The only bummer about it is that it cannot support Battroid mode for the larger VF's like the MacZero (I think) and MacPlus lines (actually, can it even support Battroid mode for 1/60 VF-1's? Haven't tried it myself.). In fact, it can't even support the YF-19 figs in jet mode due to unbalanced weight distribution.

Personally, I don't use stands for Battroid mode (IMO, unlike the Revoltech figs, the legs on most Yamato VF's aren't poseable enough to make truly dynamic aerial poses, anyways). Since jet mode is probably the most stable configuration for use with the Mighty Block, I prefer to save some money and buy a few more Mighty Blocks for my Valks. Of course, I'll still have to get a few of those re-issued Launch arm stands for my VF-0A and Macplus figs.

BTW, is the reissued Launch Arm stand able to support display on Battroid mode like the old versions?

Len_d69 what did you use for materials or more so where did you get them to build your flexi stand? reply here or PM me please.

Blue

he's using miniature desktop tripods: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5356...ini_Tripod.html

(the one's len_d69's using look to be the same as one's I've gotten before as freebie's when buying camera gear.)

And the bases are just the packaging writable CD's/DVD's come in. All tripods have a 1/4"-20 screw so anything you can drill a 1/4 inch diameter hole into will work.

:edit:

I must say this is probably the best use of those cheap desk tripods I've ever seen.

Edited by anime52k8

he's using miniature desktop tripods: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5356...ini_Tripod.html

(the one's len_d69's using look to be the same as one's I've gotten before as freebie's when buying camera gear.)

And the bases are just the packaging writable CD's/DVD's come in. All tripods have a 1/4"-20 screw so anything you can drill a 1/4 inch diameter hole into will work.

:edit:

I must say this is probably the best use of those cheap desk tripods I've ever seen.

Anime52k8,

Thanks for the link and the info I will definitely look into this... B))

Blue

Yamato has these Mighty Block stands that I got from HLJ if your paying attention to my thread you would have noticed them so here are some pics to remind you

post-269-1272166661_thumb.jpg

post-269-1272166709_thumb.jpg

post-269-1272166855_thumb.jpg

post-269-1272166898_thumb.jpg

post-269-1272166969_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

After reading this thread, I realised the flightpose stands I purchased last month are much, much lighter than what my friend have before....

I tried various extreme poses, but due to lack of weight in the base, the stand tends to topple....how I envy those who managed to secure the earlier version! :angry:

After reading this thread, I realised the flightpose stands I purchased last month are much, much lighter than what my friend have before....

I tried various extreme poses, but due to lack of weight in the base, the stand tends to topple....how I envy those who managed to secure the earlier version! :angry:

Agree the newer flightpose stands are a disappointment. Quality of workmanship and materials is way down compared to the earlier version.

Agree the newer flightpose stands are a disappointment. Quality of workmanship and materials is way down compared to the earlier version.

Is it still worth getting then? Are there any other similar alternatives though, cause I would like to get stands that don't require a connector.

I'm passing on these new, lighter versions. I picked up a decent quantity of the older ones in the 3 different rod lengths. I really didn't mind paying a few extra bucks for the solid base. I wish they would offer both types.

I would pay more for the old style stands. In my opinion they were vastly superior. Between the weight and also the black rod tips are much better.

black tips not superior, they leave marks on plastic

yup, agree on that point.

Lighter base aside, I will still buy the flightpose cause it is still superior to other stands in terms of price, flexibility and space management. That is, until I can get my hands on the old flexistand of course, heh..

The pics of the might block stand in this thread make it look good. Why do people bitch about em? I have some flexidisplay/flightpose stands myself and while you can get some nice poses, you always got to be careful about the balance and angle etc since the only thing holding them is the friction from the tips. any other people use the might block? i'm thinking you can do lots of nice poses at least with teh 1/60 v2 vf-1's right?

oh and its clear...thats important to me.

Edited by Mechapilot77

black tips not superior, they leave marks on plastic

Huh. I've never had that problem. Guess I'm just lucky. All I know is that it's tough to do sharp angle poses with the new tips because they have zero 'stick' to them. I've resorted to putting sticky tack on the tips so I can get the poses I want.

Nawh, it's just cause the Californian MWers experience heat waves hot enough to melt the tires off their cars. :)

Agreed with Cent B)) ...however I am glad to have heard of this problem from you all so I can perform a simple fix like

applying a clear coat or even some kinda sealant over the tips of the stands before I run into this problem myself.

I will post pics when it has been done regardless of success or fail.

Blue