Five Star Stories

Well, isn't there's an anime for Volume 1?

The FSS movie is essentially the core story from the first FSS manga tankoban. ADV made a very nice domestic edition, subtitled with a decent little pack-in booklet. Well worth picking up if you can find it. (Another one of ADV's 'labor of love' classic anime releases.)

I wish there was a FSS anime series. Never going to happen though. =(

While that would be incredibly awesome, I think the anachronic presentation of the story would probably be a huge hurdle for any attempt at an animated series. It might work well in print, but in cinema it doesn't work quite so well.

While that would be incredibly awesome, I think the anachronic presentation of the story would probably be a huge hurdle for any attempt at an animated series. It might work well in print, but in cinema it doesn't work quite so well.

Unless there's some BIG FSS fans who're also great screenwriters and directors. (e.g. Phillipa Boyens, Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson who re-wrote and did a fantastic job on bringing LoTR to us on film).

BTW, anyone saw the WAVE's new 1/144 Yen Xing? It's one gorgeous MM, if you asked me. Unfortunately, Gears Online has only a few info about it. Can someone told me more about Yen Xing ie who's the one who currently operate it, if any?

Not a lot of information is available on the Yen Xing... it only briefly appears in the manga during one of the chapters set during the AD era, and only for a few panels at that. I'm not aware of any artbooks which feature or cover the Yen Xing either. Like the only other known example of a machine messiah, the Yen Xing is a relic from the AD era that completely outclasses modern mortar headds. Since it was developed long before the introduction of fatimas, it can be assumed that the Yen Xing is operated via a direct neural interface with the pilot. The Yen Xing was developed by the Farus Die Kannon Empire (AKA the "Super Empire", the greatest nation of the AD era) for use by the Empire's finest chevaliers, genetically engineered supersoldiers whose descendants became the headdliners of the Joker era. The only known appearance of the Yen Xing in the manga to date has been a brief battle in the late AD era where a squadron of Yen Xings belonging to the Empress of Flame's personal guard cut an enemy fleet to pieces using only their speids.

As of yet, there are no known operators of Yen Xing machine messiahs, though it's possible that Super Empire chevaliers Kensei Skins and Princess I Yarn Vatshu (Dougulas Kaien's biological parents, no less) may have used Yen Xings at some point, as both were members of the elite Black Chevaliers. It's also likely that Sir Nakkandra View Swans (the ancestor of many modern headdliners) may have used one at some point in the past. The only known Yen Xing components which are still in service are a pair of Yen Xing engines which were adapted by Dr. Zebee Corter to power the Empress Flame, the flag MH of the Hathuha Union Republics.

Not a lot of information is available on the Yen Xing... it only briefly appears in the manga during one of the chapters set during the AD era, and only for a few panels at that. I'm not aware of any artbooks which feature or cover the Yen Xing either. Like the only other known example of a machine messiah, the Yen Xing is a relic from the AD era that completely outclasses modern mortar headds. Since it was developed long before the introduction of fatimas, it can be assumed that the Yen Xing is operated via a direct neural interface with the pilot. The Yen Xing was developed by the Farus Die Kannon Empire (AKA the "Super Empire", the greatest nation of the AD era) for use by the Empire's finest chevaliers, genetically engineered supersoldiers whose descendants became the headdliners of the Joker era. The only known appearance of the Yen Xing in the manga to date has been a brief battle in the late AD era where a squadron of Yen Xings belonging to the Empress of Flame's personal guard cut an enemy fleet to pieces using only their speids.

As of yet, there are no known operators of Yen Xing machine messiahs, though it's possible that Super Empire chevaliers Kensei Skins and Princess I Yarn Vatshu (Dougulas Kaien's biological parents, no less) may have used Yen Xings at some point, as both were members of the elite Black Chevaliers. It's also likely that Sir Nakkandra View Swans (the ancestor of many modern headdliners) may have used one at some point in the past. The only known Yen Xing components which are still in service are a pair of Yen Xing engines which were adapted by Dr. Zebee Corter to power the Empress Flame, the flag MH of the Hathuha Union Republics.

Sigh... there was a time when I actually knew all of this, but the three-year gap between releases had made it difficult to have any sort of continuity in what I read. I think FSS 13 is due out 2011, barring any accidents. I REALLY hope Nagano can finish the series.

Sigh... there was a time when I actually knew all of this, but the three-year gap between releases had made it difficult to have any sort of continuity in what I read. I think FSS 13 is due out 2011, barring any accidents. I REALLY hope Nagano can finish the series.

Yeah, the slow pace of releases for FSS material really doesn't make it an easy series to follow... doesn't help that most of Books XI and XII still haven't been translated either. I only remember half this stuff because I have a really good memory for detail. I have heard that there are translations for the Prima Classe Hugtrang insert and part of Book XI floating around though, any truth to those rumors?

Yeah, the slow pace of releases for FSS material really doesn't make it an easy series to follow... doesn't help that most of Books XI and XII still haven't been translated either. I only remember half this stuff because I have a really good memory for detail. I have heard that there are translations for the Prima Classe Hugtrang insert and part of Book XI floating around though, any truth to those rumors?

No idea... since I usually buy the Chinese translations :lol:

2817465630_7b774fc5fe_o.jpg

how big is this figure and is it posable

Not poseable, no, and not really a figure either since it's a fixed pose resin kit that needs ludicrous amounts of paint and assembly. I don't have that exact one (I have the V3 with the bow, still waiting for me to put the damn thing together), but it's fairly tall... about 10" if my memory serves.

Edited by QuinJester

Just sent you a PM about this.

(I have the V3 with the bow, still waiting for me to put the damn thing together)

I've always wondered exactly what purpose, if any, the bow served. If memory serves the only time the damn thing was ever even seen was during Aisha's coronation and the public debut of the LED Mirages. I wonder if it's a functional weapon or if it's just ceremonial.

Sorry for the double post, but yes there are translations to the Prima Hugtrang story and part 1 of Book XI. Not sure if I can post the link to the boards, but I sent it to you Seto Kaiba.

Ah, thanks... I'd heard that Prima Classe Hugtrang and a few other odds and ends were floating around, good to see the rumors were true. It's almost enough to tempt me to finish the translations of Book XI and XII myself, but I'm still buried under a small mountain of Macross II material. (Though speaking of translations, I'll never understand Nagano's odd tendency to insert whole dialogues in other languages and insist they NOT be translated... including that segment on one planet during Aisha's vacation where everybody's speaking Chinese, or that big long monologue Lachesis has when she's addressing Dr. Morard for the first time, or that equally long interchange between F.U. Rogner and Bojasfort that I think is mainly in German...

I've always wondered exactly what purpose, if any, the bow served. If memory serves the only time the damn thing was ever even seen was during Aisha's coronation and the public debut of the LED Mirages. I wonder if it's a functional weapon or if it's just ceremonial.

From what design material I remember the bow is purely ceremonial and was ever only used during that one time. I guess when you can afford to plate an entire MH in pure gold, a gold ceremonial bow used only once isn't too much of a problem :rolleyes:

It would be awfully nice if FSS MHs could be released as some sort of poseable toy instead of endless static display kits, but Nagano designs them so slender and top heavy it would be hard to pull off gracefully. The Jagd Mirage alone would tower over an adult and probably need real functional anti-grav boosters to stay standing...

Unless there's some BIG FSS fans who're also great screenwriters and directors. (e.g. Phillipa Boyens, Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson who re-wrote and did a fantastic job on bringing LoTR to us on film).

Fantastic job, eh? P. Jackson's first installment of LoTR is a nearly scene-for-scene remake of Ralph Bakshi's animated movie. <_<

From what design material I remember the bow is purely ceremonial and was ever only used during that one time. I guess when you can afford to plate an entire MH in pure gold, a gold ceremonial bow used only once isn't too much of a problem :rolleyes:

It would be awfully nice if FSS MHs could be released as some sort of poseable toy instead of endless static display kits

Been there, done that; Kaiyodo PVC figures circa 10-12 years ago. The word is that Nagano didn't renew their licence because he felt the quality did a disservice to the franchise. The next best thing may be Volks' new 1/100 plastic models. The Bang Doll actually looks... Not bad.

Edited by captain america

Though speaking of translations, I'll never understand Nagano's odd tendency to insert whole dialogues in other languages and insist they NOT be translated... including that segment on one planet during Aisha's vacation where everybody's speaking Chinese, or that big long monologue Lachesis has when she's addressing Dr. Morard for the first time, or that equally long interchange between F.U. Rogner and Bojasfort that I think is mainly in German...

Wow, is that mean Nagano knows multiple languages?

Considering how frequently the books reiterate the point that the Joker galaxy humans have a love of ostentation which borders on the fetishistic, and that said love of ostentation is almost invariably applied to their nation's mortar headds, I very much doubt anyone would bat an eye at a MH with an optional set of strictly ceremonial accouterments. After all, our boy (he IS nominally male) Amaterasu IV is the head of the richest and most powerful nation in the Joker galaxy, and he did already build a completely gold-plated mortar headd at the request of a fatima he happened to like (even though the mere contemplation of the price nearly made him pass out)... so I guess a little more ostentation beyond that would just be pissing into the ocean.

Wow, is that mean Nagano knows multiple languages?

Either that or the man has a few friends who do and tapped them for translation help so he could make the universe seem a bit more diverse. In any case, he insisted that the major foreign language sections not be translated into english, so we can only guess at his reasons.

Ah, thanks... I'd heard that Prima Classe Hugtrang and a few other odds and ends were floating around, good to see the rumors were true. It's almost enough to tempt me to finish the translations of Book XI and XII myself, but I'm still buried under a small mountain of Macross II material. (Though speaking of translations, I'll never understand Nagano's odd tendency to insert whole dialogues in other languages and insist they NOT be translated... including that segment on one planet during Aisha's vacation where everybody's speaking Chinese, or that big long monologue Lachesis has when she's addressing Dr. Morard for the first time, or that equally long interchange between F.U. Rogner and Bojasfort that I think is mainly in German...

No prob. Yeah I still wonder what was being said in those scenes! I think I saw a translation of Lachesis' monologue with Dr. Morard (it was in French by the way) a few years back, but have no idea where it is now, or if it was even an actual translation. Rogner's conversation really interests me too, as well as whatever was being said when the Yen Zing pilots took out that huge fleet of ships.

I think I saw a translation of Lachesis' monologue with Dr. Morard (it was in French by the way) a few years back, but have no idea where it is now, or if it was even an actual translation. Rogner's conversation really interests me too, as well as whatever was being said when the Yen Zing pilots took out that huge fleet of ships.

Well, apart from the bits which are in Chinese, the rest of the stuff filters through babelfish nicely enough and comes out in at least recognizable form, so it shouldn't be that difficult to obtain a translation on the fly if you really want one. I did it to the Lachesis monologue to Dr. Morard and it produced passable results.

Well, apart from the bits which are in Chinese, the rest of the stuff filters through babelfish nicely enough and comes out in at least recognizable form, so it shouldn't be that difficult to obtain a translation on the fly if you really want one. I did it to the Lachesis monologue to Dr. Morard and it produced passable results.

Cool, I'll try that out, thanks!

• 8 years later...

For some reason Nagano has always vetoed toys made from FSS. Years ago there was a small LED Mirage done that was, honestly, pretty poor. Not sure if that poisoned him against the idea or not. I love FSS and the designs are amazing. I would love to see "toys" of the mechs and characters, but that seems unlikely. Heck Bandai doesn't even have the license to make models of the Mortar Headds. To me the outline looks more like  one of the mechs from L-Gaim. Maybe the MK II or a Bat Shu. I mean, I would gladly buy FSS stuff, but I doubt that is what it is.

I'd love to see Five Star Stories toys... though I imagine production would be a nightmare considering the level of detail and how thin many of the pieces would be.

Especially on something like the Bang Doll, which had those big whip-blade lanyard things or the Jagd Mirage's legs vs. the twin towers buster launchers.