Five Star Stories

I wouldn't hold my breath for that, and I dare say that Bandai would have to pry a FSS license from his cold, dead hands. Nagano made FSS the way it is because of Bandai's interference and meddling in the Zeta Gundam and L-Gaim TV series (in fact, FSS is a kind of re-telling of L-Gaim); they wanted mecha that were toy-friendly and not overly-difficult to animate, and this is to say nothing of Bandai's likely influence on the stories themselves.

On these points, I back Nagano 100% for wanting to keep FSS out of the clutches of the establishment. In fact, Kaiyodo had even (briefly) marketed a series of FSS Mortar Headd toy figures back in the late 90s, but Nagano didn't renew that licence because it seems he felt that the product was not up to the standard for FSS in general. I think that the best thing you can hope to get in terms of "affordable" Mortar Headds are the new plastic offerings by Volks (Bang Doll/Vatshu.)

These latter offerings are certainly a step above previous plastic FSS kits, but still not in the same league as the resin kits.

Its too bad then for both parties. Bandai has the capital and know how to market and create great toys/models. Nagano has the creative talent for design and story. Both could have benefited working together rather than the stronger one trying to over manage the direction of the project

Oh Well. I guess someone else might take on the license. There are a lot of companies. IE Wave, (Model toy rather kit) Yamato, CMs, Toynami??? Hasbro?

Its too bad then for both parties. Bandai has the capital and know how to market and create great toys/models. Nagano has the creative talent for design and story. Both could have benefited working together rather than the stronger one trying to over manage the direction of the project

Oh Well. I guess someone else might take on the license. There are a lot of companies. IE Wave, (Model toy rather kit) Yamato, CMs, Toynami??? Hasbro?

Wave has the license and are doing great things with styrene in 1/144th scale. Corporations need to keep their dirty paws off of FSS. The kits done in resin really showcase some incredible craftsmen in the sculpting and pattern making fields.

And Nagano HAS worked with Bandai not too long ago. He did the mecha designs for Brain Powered. I don't think that property went very far.

Well, also don't forget he also designs L-Gaim and Hyaku Shiki, the first gold MS in Gundam franchise.

Speaking of Heavy Metal L.Gaim... I ended up seeing it AFTER I first got into Five Star Stories, and boy was I ever amused by how many designs ended up getting reused between the two series, even under the same names.

Speaking of Heavy Metal L.Gaim... I ended up seeing it AFTER I first got into Five Star Stories, and boy was I ever amused by how many designs ended up getting reused between the two series, even under the same names.

Yeah, although Nagano has vociferously argued otherwise, I think it's pretty obvious that Colus VI's rebellion against Amaterasu in 4100 is very similar story-wise to L-Gaim. Nagano seemed to know it at one time, too, since the Emperor's name in L-Gaim is more-or-less "Ladios Sopp" spelled backwards.

Wow, really? Can you give an example? :)

Sure thing... in fact I can share several!

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/l-gaim.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/junchoon/sr1.html

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/junchoon/junchoon.php

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/l-gaim-mk2.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/cloudssc...udsschatze.html

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/a-taul-v.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/atoll/atoll.php

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/ashuratemple.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/ashura/ashura.php

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/auge.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/auge/mm-auge.html

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/bat-shu.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/vatshu/vatshu.php

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/g-roon.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/groon/groon.html

L.Gaim: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/bloodtemple.htm

FSS: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/blood/blood.html

Those are the ones that not only share names, but share a clear design lineage between the original Heavy Metal L.Gaim series and the Five Star Stories manga. There are also a few cases of name reuse for different designs, such as the Helmine. Additionally, both L.Gaim and Five Star Stories make reference to and/or are set at least partially in an AD era where AD stands for "Ammon Duul". The designs of the various mecha transports, spacecraft, and personal vehicles are also startlingly similar.

Yeah, although Nagano has vociferously argued otherwise, I think it's pretty obvious that Colus VI's rebellion against Amaterasu in 4100 is very similar story-wise to L-Gaim. Nagano seemed to know it at one time, too, since the Emperor's name in L-Gaim is more-or-less "Ladios Sopp" spelled backwards.

Yeah, there're a lot of commonalities there... which I found extremely surprising and amusing since I saw the latter of the two works (FSS) before the former (L.Gaim).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Wow, really? Can you give an example? :)

The emperor in L-Gaim is Posseidal (Ladios Sopp)

L-Gaim has an Auge, and so does FSS

L-Gaim has Bat-Shu, FSS vas the Vatshu

L-Gaim has the Nouvel Desserd, which looks like the Rouge Mirage. Plus, the L-Gaim itself is an early concept for the FSS Junchoon... It's much like looking at L. Frank Baum's Life And Adventures Of Santa Claus and then the Wizard of Oz; you see many of the same elements in progressive transition.

Not to mention the characters. Colus VI is the spittin' image of Daba Myroad, for example.

And stepping outside of Heavy Metal L.Gaim, the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam has a fair few design elements in common with the Junchoon as well, and shares the Knight of Gold's ridiculously showy gold plate.

Now seeing the examples themselves, why I have a sudden feeling that FSS is the glorified version of L-Gaim? :p

Speaking of mecha design, it should note that most of Nagano's post L-Gaim design use 'movable frame' concept, basically just a skeleton with pieces of armor attached to it, which is an irony, seeing that Bandai's successful MG model kit line also use more and more of a very similiar concept when designing recent gunpla.

Now seeing the examples themselves, why I have a sudden feeling that FSS is the glorified version of L-Gaim? :p

Eh, let's be fair... the mechanical designs from Five Star Stories are considerably more complex, streamlined, and organic-looking designs than the early versions seen in Heavy Metal L.Gaim, which I suppose is fitting, as FSS is a more advanced setting, and the mecha are (in-universe) considered not just weapons of war, but individual works of art, and their complexity is such that some mortar headds do walk the line between simple robot and inorganic lifeform... like Amaterasu's first Knight of Gold, Colus XXIII's Junchoon, the Jagd Mirage "Green Dragon", and to a lesser extent, Alan Bradford's old MH Apache and the Terror Mirage he gets after (unwittingly) joining the Mirage Knights.

EDIT: I just remembered one other incident where a Mortar Headd acted of its own accord... the Fillmore Empire's one-of-a-kind V Siren 103 "Neptune" (Emperor Lader VIII's personal MH) moves on its own to protect its future owner (Christine V) from the Knue Syltiss knights pursuing her.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Eh, let's be fair... the mechanical designs from Five Star Stories are considerably more complex, streamlined, and organic-looking designs than the early versions seen in Heavy Metal L.Gaim, which I suppose is fitting, as FSS is a more advanced setting, and the mecha are (in-universe) considered not just weapons of war, but individual works of art, and their complexity is such that some mortar headds do walk the line between simple robot and inorganic lifeform... like Amaterasu's first Knight of Gold, Colus XXIII's Junchoon, the Jagd Mirage "Green Dragon", and to a lesser extent, Alan Bradford's old MH Apache and the Terror Mirage he gets after (unwittingly) joining the Mirage Knights.

Ouch, I guess I use the wrong word. When I say 'glorified', I mean more beautiful, elegant, have more fantasy elements than SF, etc. Basically it's a praise. :)

Ouch, I guess I use the wrong word. When I say 'glorified', I mean more beautiful, elegant, have more fantasy elements than SF, etc. Basically it's a praise. :)

I think of it more as L-Gaim being the incubator for Five Star Stories. The mecha and character connections are easy enough to see, but the story is the primary component that's been expanded. The Five Star Stories timeline covers thousands or (depending on how you look at it) millions of years. The portion of it that resembles L-Gaim is a very small section (referred to at the end of "Traffics1" and also at the end of the "Wandering Atropos" chapter) where Colus VI rises out of obscurity to take on "Amaterasu" (really his fatima Uplanda in disguise), and defeat him. THAT part is L-Gaim. Everything else in the timeline is unique to Five Star Stories.

Manga-ka, writer, mecha designer, fashion designer, and even his own rock band. Nagano is quite the renissance man, no?

He also looks like one of his own characters - rail thin, judging by a photo of him in one of the Japanese tankobons.

A "Seductive Techno-Fantasy" is what Animag called in many moons ago - probably the best description I've ever seen for the series.

A "Seductive Techno-Fantasy" is what Animag called in many moons ago - probably the best description I've ever seen for the series.

Yeah, that's actually pretty good... I like that.

I keep wishing they'd do model kits for some of the lesser designs in the series, like the Empress Flame, the A-TOLL Scritti, and maybe the Trio de Colus's Berlins.

I keep wishing they'd do model kits for some of the lesser designs in the series, like the Empress Flame, the A-TOLL Scritti, and maybe the Trio de Colus's Berlins.

Well, I know someone posted a picture of a Berlin SR-2's kit earlier in that threat, but yeah, I share the same thinking with you.

BTW, do anyone ever seen Mirage S2 (aka Cloudsschätze)'s alt mode? I wonder how it looked like.

Well, I know someone posted a picture of a Berlin SR-2's kit earlier in that threat, but yeah, I share the same thinking with you.

I was thinking more of the original Berlin from the Colus-Hagooda War, rather than the SR2 model designed by Diamond Neutral that only saw major use during the Majestic Stand. It's a nice-looking MH, but it got so little love, and spent most of its time getting smacked around by the Rainbow Boowrays and Hagooda's Maglows.

BTW, do anyone ever seen Mirage S2 (aka Cloudsschätze)'s alt mode? I wonder how it looked like.

Yeah, I have. It makes its only significant appearance in flight mode in one of the later volumes when they show the destruction of Float Temple in JC 4100. If memory serves, F.U. Rogner uses the Cloudsschätze as his escape vehicle, carrying with him his fatima Eatta and a few others who mostly end up crammed into the cockpit with him. The other, larger non-transformable model, the Wunderschätze, makes an appearance in the previous volume piloted by Arart Ex to spook the rebel forces based in Kastenpo.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

-Empress was done by both Volks and WSC in 1/100 many mooms ago (10-15 years.)

-A-Toll Politi Scritti--done by Kaiyodo in 1/144, and also as a WonderFest model in 1/100

-Berlins were done by Volks and Wave in 1/144, and 1/100 by Kaiyodo and Volks; the latter's offerings are considered the best overall, though they're over 20 years old.

-Empress was done by both Volks and WSC in 1/100 many mooms ago (10-15 years.)

-A-Toll Politi Scritti--done by Kaiyodo in 1/144, and also as a WonderFest model in 1/100

I can think of only one thing to say to this... "DO WANT".

-Berlins were done by Volks and Wave in 1/144, and 1/100 by Kaiyodo and Volks; the latter's offerings are considered the best overall, though they're over 20 years old.

Hmmm... damn, now I'm gonna be tearing all over the internet looking for decade-plus old FSS models.

Hmmm... damn, now I'm gonna be tearing all over the internet looking for decade-plus old FSS models.

Before you look, you might want to get your rich uncle to sign over everything in his will to you and then off the old guy. If you want some of those kits, you're going to need A LOT of spare cash. :p

Just followed some Links..

What a rich story....The mechs are just awesome GOD if you do exist and dont mind listening to my self serving prayers. Please take care of my kids health and success and FORCE someone or company to make some Pre-colored injection molded 5* Stories Kits

PS the gold one please!

Thanks

Take care no floods eh!

Before you look, you might want to get your rich uncle to sign over everything in his will to you and then off the old guy. If you want some of those kits, you're going to need A LOT of spare cash. :p

It's not like I'm any stranger to hunting for rare materials after all the time and effort I put into tracking down those rare Macross II artbooks and magazines.

Still, I'd love to add some more FSS models to my display shelf. The only ones up there right now are an old Knight of Gold and a half-completed LED Mirage.

I always find that kind of story amusing, as one criticism often thrown at fans of mecha shows is that such series they're just designed to sell toys... :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Does anyone know of places where I could get all of the Designs Books, particularly Book 1 since HLJ list it as discontinued?

Nevermind, just checked with Kinokuniya and they have them all in stock. Is $42 for Books 1 & 2 and $36.40 for Book 3 (free shipping if I order them all) a good price? Are the books worth it if the only other FSS materials I have are the English translations of the manga?

What a rich story....The mechs are just awesome GOD if you do exist and dont mind listening to my self serving prayers. Please take care of my kids health and success and FORCE someone or company to make some Pre-colored injection molded 5* Stories Kits

Model kits by Divine Intervention? That's a new one. I'd love some new FSS kits. ESPECIALLY if I didn't have to paint them. Those fiddly little bastards require a ridiculously steady hand, like the Jagd Mirage Green Dragon. I did one of those with Seto back in 2007 and it took us over two months just to paint it properly.

Take care no floods eh!

Just remember, he only promised he won't destroy the world using water. Lots of other stuff is still fair game.

Nevermind, just checked with Kinokuniya and they have them all in stock. Is $42 for Books 1 & 2 and $36.40 for Book 3 (free shipping if I order them all) a good price? Are the books worth it if the only other FSS materials I have are the English translations of the manga?

Yes. They're well worth the money.

Edited by BlackRose

I am really going to have to stop reading this thread... too tempting to fall off the wagon. If you think yamato valks are an expensive habit, turn away now.

Seriously though, I have never built more beautiful models than the FSS models. Even on marathon builds, some of them can take months to do justice to. One of my favorites is the mirage with boomerang unit. They are just beautiful. It was that model that got me into it. Local comic shop had one someone ordered but never picked up, so I scooped it up and it was all down hill. I was in and out of 12 step programs for a while and eventually kicked the habit after being laid off. :) So far I haven't fallen off the wagon. Trying to keep it that way.

I am really going to have to stop reading this thread... too tempting to fall off the wagon. If you think yamato valks are an expensive habit, turn away now.

Jeez... you make it sound like FSS model kits are a controlled substance or something. ^_^:p

It takes so long to do each kit that in terms of cost vs time it's probably a lot cheaper to do FSS kits than it is Macross ones.

What's sad is that I can't remember what Mortar Headd model it is that I have sitting in my closet. Whoops, make that two FFS models in my closet.

The other one is a Wave plastic Led Mirage kit.

Aaah... I've got a few unstarted model kits, but unfortunately none of them are FSS.