Who Sings the Chinese Version of DYRL?

MilSpex

I got it off that Macross direct download page.

I saw the Cantonese DYRL in the theater. I remember the audience audibly cringing (myself included) when they changed Minmay's name to "Akina" or "明菜" (after the singer Akina Nakamori) in Chinese.

Edited by Jonias

Thankyou Gubaba, do you know the pinyin for the name?

I`m no expert but it sounds like Cantonese to me?

If it's Priscilla Chen's, it's Cantonese.

, Kěyǒu jìqǐ aì (romanized in Mandarin Pinyin, I have no idea how to pronounce the name in Cantonese).

I wonder if there is a Mandarin version somewhere.

Edited by Lindem Herz

I saw the Cantonese DYRL in the theater. I remember the audience audibly cringing (myself included) when they changed Minmay's name to "Akina" or "明菜" (after the singer Akina Nakamori) in Chinese.

I am furious when the people tried to do that and thought it would add appeal to the general public.

HELL. It is so obvious that 95%+ audience are Macross fans.

And absolute 0% of them entered the theatre because Minmay now named Akina, and all of them would hate this idiotic change.

(see how I am mad with this?)

Of course it doesn't sound right because the arrangement was different. They also took out the bridge section of the original song. Note that re-dubbing Japanese songs into Cantonese was pretty common in Hong Kong back in the 80's.

The name of the cantonese version of the song is actually 真情流露 (zhen1 qing2 liu2 lu4). 可有記得愛 is the Chinese translation of the phrase "Do you remember love", which many have mistaken to be the name of the cantonese version.

The singer Priscilla Chan actually got a degree at Syracuse University several years ago. Perhaps some of you in the US may have been her classmates :lol:

Jonias, are you sure they used the name "Akina"/明菜 for Minmay? I saw the Cantonese theatrical version in Hong Kong too but don't recall. Or maybe my memory was flawed since it was so long ago. Either way, they fixed the name in the latest Cantonese dub of the official DYRL dvd.

I think part of the problem is that there was never an official Chinese translation of the name Minmay. Depending on which Macross series you saw, a different Chinese name was used. For example, in the SDFM tv series shown on ATV, 林明明 (lin2 ming2 ming2) was used. Then in Macross 7, it became 凌明美 (ling2 ming2 mei3). However, I think the most popular version is 林明美 (lin2 ming2 mei3), which was used in DYRL.

Of course it doesn't sound right because the arrangement was different. They also took out the bridge section of the original song. Note that re-dubbing Japanese songs into Cantonese was pretty common in Hong Kong back in the 80's.

The name of the cantonese version of the song is actually 真情流露 (zhen1 qing2 liu2 lu4). 可有記得愛 is the Chinese translation of the phrase "Do you remember love", which many have mistaken to be the name of the cantonese version.

The singer Priscilla Chan actually got a degree at Syracuse University several years ago. Perhaps some of you in the US may have been her classmates :lol:

Jonias, are you sure they used the name "Akina"/明菜 for Minmay? I saw the Cantonese theatrical version in Hong Kong too but don't recall. Or maybe my memory was flawed since it was so long ago. Either way, they fixed the name in the latest Cantonese dub of the official DYRL dvd.

I think part of the problem is that there was never an official Chinese translation of the name Minmay. Depending on which Macross series you saw, a different Chinese name was used. For example, in the SDFM tv series shown on ATV, 林明明 (lin2 ming2 ming2) was used. Then in Macross 7, it became 凌明美 (ling2 ming2 mei3). However, I think the most popular version is 林明美 (lin2 ming2 mei3), which was used in DYRL.

Ivan, I'm almost certain they used 明菜 in the original theater release. It was almost inevitable at that time for them to do that to appeal to a general audience. Chances are the rights to that lapsed and they had to re-dub it for the DVD release which came years later. I actually have a copy of that DVD, but never even opened it!