The Island of Misfit Valks

Chronocidal

So I was driving to work today, minding my own business, when one of the old Burl Ives songs from that stop-action Rudolph movie came on (station just started playing Christmas music already <_<). Forget which song it was, but doesn't really matter here.

My imagination flashed to those new Verizon commercials with the whole Island of Misfit Toys deal... and my brain decided to do a cut and paste with goofy ideas. I have this picture of the island with all the borked up toys...

..and off in the distance, I see a poor sad group of old broken Valks sitting around a campfire. :lol:

I almost spat out my morning coffee when the thought hit me, and the idea stuck with me all day, thinking "I should make a movie of this..."

So from that basic idea, it grew into a full fledged argument over which broken valk had the worst flaw (as in, the valks sitting there around that campfire on a snow covered island, arguing over who was worst). Starts with a Tab-B YF-19, or something, and basically progresses through all the various problems Valks have had over the years (every brand, not just Yammies, although most would be Yamato based).. armless valks from busted shoulders, v.1 1/60ths who can't stand up from loose hips, etc.. maybe show a battroid Ivanov trying to flap his wings and take off. B))

Then towards the end, a group of 1/48 Angel Birds walks up, and they're just all frustrated (all voiced by girls, just for comical effect). They're complaining because they don't get it... they don't have any QC issues, they're certainly the biggest VF-1, and one of the best sculpts ever, but they can't understand why no one wants to buy them, and their value keeps dropping...

Cut to a giant shared thought bubble of all the other valks, and they're picturing all the AB VF-1s with giant bows stuck on their chest plates, and wearing fabric skirts (maybe put wigs on them, or even full fledged heads from girl anime figures)... and they all just point and laugh hysterically, while the AB valks look at each other and scratch their heads. ^_^

I would love to do this myself.. but sadly I don't actually have any of those valks with those problems, I didn't start collecting until recently. I dabbled in stop motion in high school, and it'd be fun to do this (complete with pasted on facial expressions).. heck, if Yamato was more mainstream in the US, I can see this being a sketch for Robot Chicken.

Anyway, I just can't help laughing at this, and it's only in my head. Probably kind of pointless to go into such detail with a random thought, but I'd love to see this done by someone who has the patience and talent.

I might try and do it as a comic over time, but to mimic the original misfit toy sequence would be awesome.

I thought that was what MW was all about... :p

I dunno about intentionally, but I know plenty of people have had multiple valks go to pieces on them. And I can imagine some people collect the broken ones cheaply, intending to fix them up.

In any case though, it doesn't require broken planes to make. It's easy enough to remove the arms from the v.2 1/60s, or barring that, just dress them up in bandages.

I don't remember which Valks tended to lose their legs.. but I have this picture in my head of a v.1 1/60 walking around with a crutch. :lol:

My 25th Anniversary VF-1 has loose/falling off legs...

And I just don't get it.

That's an easy fix. All you need to do is remove the legs from the T-Bar. Unscrew the block portion that resides inside, just behind, the intakes. Then remove the old rubber caps found inside. Buy a 1 dollar sink mat and a single-hole punch. Punch out two circles from the sink mat and replace the originals caps with these. Screw everything back together. Put everything back together and viola!! Better than new.

I've done this to many used valks I have bought, and this remedy has never failed.

NOTE: Find a black rubber sink mat, so the color can match, closely.

That's an easy fix. All you need to do is remove the legs from the T-Bar. Unscrew the block portion that resides inside, just behind, the intakes. Then remove the old rubber caps found inside. Buy a 1 dollar sink mat and a single-hole punch. Punch out two circles from the sink mat and replace the originals caps with these. Screw everything back together. Put everything back together and viola!! Better than new.

I've done this to many used valks I have bought, and this remedy has never failed.

NOTE: Find a black rubber sink mat, so the color can match, closely.

That being said, the glue that holds the leg to the t-bar is missing and the leg falls off of the hip.

Sink mat ain't fixin' that.

Also, I can't get the head unit back on.