Macross and Flight Simluator

mikeszekely

I was bored at work today and I was looking through the PC stuff (I'm more of a console gamer). Anyways, I'm seeing all these packages you can buy to add planes and scenery and new paint jobs and stuff to Microsoft Flight Simulator. They all seemed to be designed for 2002 and 2004. That got me wondering... are there any places to get Macross stuff that I can add to Flight Simulator? And if so, what versions would they be compatible with? I mean, a friend of mine gave me Flight Simulator 98... is that enough, or should I pick up a newer version?

The VF-1J for MSFS 2002/etc is a piece of crap. Apparently, it's really hard to bipass the ~4G limit in the flight engine before the plane breaks and falls from the sky (hell, MSFS doesn't even simulate the crash, it just stops and says "CRASH" on the screen).

Not to mention the fact that the plane preforms like a friggin Cesna, and that the transformations are useless and unrealistic.

Edited by Raptor

• 4 weeks later...
The VF-1J for MSFS 2002/etc is a piece of crap. Apparently, it's really hard to bipass the ~4G limit in the flight engine before the plane breaks and falls from the sky (hell, MSFS doesn't even simulate the crash, it just stops and says "CRASH" on the screen).

Not to mention the fact that the plane preforms like a friggin Cesna, and that the transformations are useless and unrealistic.

MSFS has never been known for a realistic crash simulation (heck, even though they have a pretty damn decent damage system in COMBAT Flight Simulator 3, FS2004 still have the simulation pause/little red crash in a corner of a screen combo).

I've flown the VF-1, opened the .air file (the file that tells the simulation how the aircraft behaves) and talked with the creator back in 2001 when it was originally out. Actually it is not much more than a Cessna with a Valkyrie suit, the simulator even consider it only a mono turboprop aircraft (that is, an aircraft with only one engine with one propeller).

A carefully tuned flight model for FS could actually reflect the (assumed) behaviour of the One in all modes (depending of what aircraft functions you use to trigger the transformation), but that kind of work might be beyond the skills or patience of most freeware modders, and even some of the pros.

BTW, the 4g limit is in the flight model, not the simulator.