Clash of the Titans - remake teaser

Vermillion21

Stone & Parker are a bit hypocritical in my opinion. They love to make fun of Hollywood's extreme left-leaning tendencies and how it contrasts with their own excessive wealth... yet they achieved their fame and fortune pretty the same way.

:ph34r:

Didn't mean to get folks all political by bringing up Stan and Kyle's puppet movie...I was just commenting on Taksraven's mention of marionettes as a special effect used on shows/movies like Thunderbirds Are GO.

It would be nice if they find a way of bringing some type of ground-breaking effects into this one (considering how the this is supposed to be high-fantasy,) but from the looks I'm guessing the effects/action will be part 300 and part Hellboy.

-b.

I was avid enthusiast of Greek myths, too, and I was POSITIVE the Kraken was there, but after looking it up on Wikipedia, I guess it's not. Sorry.

And yeah...the old movie bugged me with its divergences from the myth...but again, having Pegasus sprout out of Medusa's neck would've been kinda hard to pull off without everyone in the theater either laughing or scratching their heads.

Especially if they would've tried to do it with sock puppets! Granted, with CGI now, I think that it could be done both faithfully and realistically... I'm thinking back to how they got Yoda to saber-fight in AOTC; the idea would have seemed propostrous to most of us, right up until we saw the little green bugger in action... And then all doubt was erased.

Ever so slightly off-topic, has anyone picked-up the Gentle Giants Kraken figure? Been searching for a review of it, but decent (non-official) pictures are all but impossible to find.

Especially if they would've tried to do it with sock puppets! Granted, with CGI now, I think that it could be done both faithfully and realistically... I'm thinking back to how they got Yoda to saber-fight in AOTC; the idea would have seemed propostrous to most of us, right up until we saw the little green bugger in action... And then all doubt was erased.

Yeah, I also really liked that part in Episode II where the puppet fought Count Chocula. :p

I was avid enthusiast of Greek myths, too, and I was POSITIVE the Kraken was there, but after looking it up on Wikipedia, I guess it's not. Sorry.

And yeah...the old movie bugged me with its divergences from the myth...but again, having Pegasus sprout out of Medusa's neck would've been kinda hard to pull off without everyone in the theater either laughing or scratching their heads.

I just remembered from watching the History Channel program about the gods that one of the Labors of Heracles was to kill the Kraken.

I just remembered from watching the History Channel program about the gods that one of the Labors of Heracles was to kill the Kraken.

The Labors of Hercules:

1. Slay the Nemean Lion.

2. Slay the 9-headed Lernaean Hydra.

3. Capture the Golden Hind of Artemis.

4. Capture the Erymanthian Boar.

5. Clean the Augean stables in a single day.

6. Slay the Stymphalian Birds.

7. Capture the Cretan Bull.

8. Steal the Mares of Diomedes.

9. Obtain the Girdle of the Amazon Queen.

10. Obtain the Cattle of the Monster Geryon.

11. Steal the Apples of the Hesperides.

12. Capture Cerberus.

Nope, no Kraken.

I use to read a lot of Greek myth as a kid back then also, before the original came out. In all honesty, while they were exciting reads... They would have been boring movies. I recall that medusa was asleep when Perseus kills her and then Pegasus springs out of her head or something. And then not to mention all the bestiality in those stories. Lol.

But for some reason. Hollywood somehow made a more boring version of the Trojan war and still hasn't made a good version of the the Oddesey. If anything I would have loved to see a trilogy Clash of the titans. And made a Theseus and Jason and the argonauts sequels. They're all basically in the same vein.

I use to read a lot of Greek myth as a kid back then also, before the original came out. In all honesty, while they were exciting reads... They would have been boring movies. I recall that medusa was asleep when Perseus kills her and then Pegasus springs out of her head or something. And then not to mention all the bestiality in those stories. Lol.

But for some reason. Hollywood somehow made a more boring version of the Trojan war and still hasn't made a good version of the the Oddesey. If anything I would have loved to see a trilogy Clash of the titans. And made a Theseus and Jason and the argonauts sequels. They're all basically in the same vein.

I think they did make a movie about the Oddyssey way back in either the 50's or 60's (either it was in the theatres or was a television movie, I don't know which).

Yeah, Troy was total eye candy revolving around Brad Pitt.

yeah... there's been tons of movies about Oddysseus (Trojan War and after) but none worth mentioning. Last one I saw was the Armand Assante TV one. He's actually a good pick for the character but the movie was just lacking.

It doesn't have to be terribly good or does it have to be too fatihful but it at least has to define the adventure just like Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts and Clash Of The Titans does for it's story (as did his Sinbad Adventures)... no matter if it gets dated. But Troy just didnt do that for the Trojan War.

Heck... I'm not a big fan of 300 but I think it defined the Battle of Thermopylae or at least put it on the film map. I saw the original movie but it was forgettable.

I'm not sure if this new CotT will make the same impact. So far as others said it's looks more like it's suppose to cash in on 300s popularity.

The Labors of Hercules:

1. Slay the Nemean Lion.

2. Slay the 9-headed Lernaean Hydra.

3. Capture the Golden Hind of Artemis.

4. Capture the Erymanthian Boar.

5. Clean the Augean stables in a single day.

6. Slay the Stymphalian Birds.

7. Capture the Cretan Bull.

8. Steal the Mares of Diomedes.

9. Obtain the Girdle of the Amazon Queen.

10. Obtain the Cattle of the Monster Geryon.

11. Steal the Apples of the Hesperides.

12. Capture Cerberus.

Nope, no Kraken.

After completing #12, he has a secret final boss fight

13. DEFEAT CHUCK NORRIS.

I definitely don't cringe at this being redone. The original SFX have aged very badly. I absolutely hate it when they mix up the Greek and Roman names, though. Pick one or the other, but not both. If you're using Zeus, it better be Heracles. Hercules is fine if you're using Jupiter...

Odysseus would need to be done around a proper reworking of the Trojan War. Two absolutely vital aspects to that are 1) the long sense of futility: needs to at least be a trilogy of just the war. Then at least one movie, if not another Trilogy of Odysseus just trying to get home.

Then another movie on Heracles.

Then another on Perseus. etc etc

• 4 weeks later...
New trailer is out!

Looks pretty entertaining,the Kraken has an Interesting design.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbix92_cl...er-2_shortfilms

enjoy :)

Bah, in an ideal scenario, they would have remained more faithful to the original story and not put a "Kraken" in the film at all, but considering Hollywood's unquenchable need to exaggerate, "improve" and over-dramatize everything on celluloid... The Kraken looks fair. Doesn't hold a candle to Ray Harryhausen's version though.

• 3 months later...

The movie's out. And the critics don't like it.

31%

"Goofball clash with the actors providing plenty of ham to go with the cheesy story." - Richard Roeper

"As 3-D always does, the movie looks dark and dingy --not polished and expensive, as the 2-D version probably was." - Adam Lippe, Examiner.com

'My suggestion after the fact would have been to re-release 1981's Clash of the Titans, reprocessed in 3D, and forget about any remake. Forget this remake, for sure." - Steve Crum, Video-Reviewmaster.com

"Inexplicably less godly and less epic than Percy Jackson and the Olympians, this new clash between titans mostly makes you want to go back and watch the original again." - Kevin A. Ranson, MovieCrypt.com

"Apparently the gods need better agents." - Tom Long, Detroit News

I watched it tonight. It was...OK. Honestly all I saw was another by-the-numbers fantasy/action film. The characters were all dull and mechanical. Sam Worthington could have been anyone with a pulse (he reminded me of Russel Crowe in Gladiator, which isn't a good thing), the supporting cast was all forgettable. Even Liam as Zeus seemed blah, and Liam Neeson playing Zeus should NOT be dull.

The action? Well, the effects were alright for the most part but parts felt like I was watching Revenge of the Fallen all over again. Tons of stuff going on at a very fast clip but the camera is zoomed in so close that it's hard to tell what's going on. It's like the old cartoons where two characters fight and all you see is a cloud of dust with their limbs poking out. I don't know, I feel like it's a tactic to hide poor fight choreography or something.

There were giant scorpions, which looked very cool and were made even cooler when they were tamed and became mounts. Something about the ridiculousness of a caravan of giant scorpions made me smile. Other than that I didn't find any of the creature designs very impressive or interesting. Zeus was shiny, Hades was dark and shadowy, Medusa was...Medusa with a seriously oversized snake body. The Kraken looked like a random video game monster.

Oh, and Bubo was in the film. It looked like the same model as the original, but the only purpose his 5 seconds served in the film was as the director's way of saying, "Hey, remember this guy? He's not going to be in the movie".

Overall I would say wait and rent it. It's really not worth full ticket price, especially 3D price.

I saw it today too, and what is sad is I believe i do prefer the original to the remake. There was no tension, no drama, no excitement in this movie. Also I am tired of Sam Worthington, I mean really we can find a more entertaining person than that. I miss the old school 80's action heroes, they were entertaining, Sam is not.

I saw it today too, and what is sad is I believe i do prefer the original to the remake. There was no tension, no drama, no excitement in this movie. Also I am tired of Sam Worthington, I mean really we can find a more entertaining person than that. I miss the old school 80's action heroes, they were entertaining, Sam is not.

Copy that. I don't know who annointed him as an action hero but they need to get their eyes and ears checked on that one...

I tried to watch the original version the other day, and I have to say, it was phucking ghey. Yeah, sure, it was probably state of the art back then, but I couldn't sit throught it without cringing. Perseus looked like a homoerotic version of what's-his-nuts from Entourage.

Rape my childhood? Go right ahead on this one.

What's interesting to me about Sam Worthington is that his animated counterpart (Na'Vi Jake) has more life, personality and expressive capabilities than he does. In Clash he has all the emotive qualities of a shoe.

The movie's out. And the critics don't like it.

--not polished and expensive, as the 2-D version probably was." - Adam Lippe, Examiner.com

"probably"? So in other words, he probably didn't even give a glance to the source material, i.e. the original movie--or the greek/roman myths, for that matter. Same can probably be said of the bums that made this alleged steaming pile of poo. <_<

Edited by reddsun1

"probably"? So in other words, he probably didn't even give a glance to the source material, i.e. the original movie--or the greek/roman myths, for that matter. Same can probably be said of the bums that made this alleged steaming pile of poo. <_<

Whoa there, Pardner! I think he meant the 2-D version of this new remake. In other words, in 2-D, it would look shiny and expensive, but it 3-D it looks murky, because that's what the 3-D process does to movies.