Nickelodeon's Avatar: the Last Airbender coming to the big screen?

Wanzerfan

• 5 weeks later...

This recent interview with Shyamalan gives him the opportunity to explain some of the reasons behind the changes he will make to Avatar, but I don't agree with his idea of changing something just for the sake of change. Now I'm back to not being sure what to think of this movie...

Interview with Shyamalan

"Jordan Hoffman: Is one of these other choices paring back the humor?"

"M. Night Shyamalan: Hopefully there is enough that you will still see characters that you love. But there is so much latitude with an animation that you don’t get with live action. I mean, look at Up, which is fantastic – if you had a little girl pop in and say “You wanna join my club?” it wouldn’t work the same way it works in that movie."

Why doesn’t Shyamalan just come out and say, "The real reason there will be little humor is because I'm not a good enough writer.” Personally, I think the humor in Avatar is central and integral to the story.

I love avatar,big fan of the series, when i watch the trailers I can understand that with live-action comes some sacrifices and i can level with that. from what ive seen they seem to have all the key points from book 1 down so im pretty pumped for it.

This recent interview with Shyamalan gives him the opportunity to explain some of the reasons behind the changes he will make to Avatar, but I don't agree with his idea of changing something just for the sake of change. Now I'm back to not being sure what to think of this movie...

Interview with Shyamalan

"Jordan Hoffman: Is one of these other choices paring back the humor?"

"M. Night Shyamalan: Hopefully there is enough that you will still see characters that you love. But there is so much latitude with an animation that you dont get with live action. I mean, look at Up, which is fantastic if you had a little girl pop in and say You wanna join my club? it wouldnt work the same way it works in that movie."

Why doesnt Shyamalan just come out and say, "The real reason there will be little humor is because I'm not a good enough writer. Personally, I think the humor in Avatar is central and integral to the story.

Well no he is right in some ways. A lot of the kooky humor from the cartoon wouldnt translate as well over to the real world. A lot of the jokes that are contorted facial or body expressions would be off putting in the 'real world'.

Im sure we'll still see humour in there.

edit: And as i read more, I become MORE confident. The thing about Firebenders needing a source of fire is a cool touch, and makes sense in context to how he explains it. EVen the name thing i dont mind so much.

I'm psyched for the flick!

Edited by Scream Man

judging by the trailers this movie will either be a big hit or a big dud

personally it looks all right in my opinion, but again it IS cartoon to live action

and those never really turn out that great. :huh:

Case in point: Dragon Ball Evolution. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ooooh, first I've heard of this. Avatar the Last Airbender was an awesome series; in my opinion, the best animation series to come out of the US since the first two seasons of Gargoyles... even the new Thundercats, as good as it is, does not hold a candle to the epic scope, style, animation quality and choreography, coherent non-self-conflicting story telling, richness of the history and cultures depicted, and general flow of a story with a definite beginning, middle and end... and not an enticlimatic WTF ending at that!

And now Nickelodeon is set to debut a sequal focusing on one of Aang's decendents?!!!... :wub:

Nice bit of Thread Necromancy by the way... :lol:

Edited by mechaninac

Ooooh, first I've heard of this. Avatar the Last Airbender was an awesome series; in my opinion, the best animation series to come out of the US since the first two seasons of Gargoyles... even the new Thundercats, as good as it is, does not hold a candle to the epic scope, style, animation quality and choreography, coherent non-self-conflicting story telling, richness of the history and cultures depicted, and general flow of a story with a definite beginning, middle and end... and not an enticlimatic WTF ending at that!

And now Nickelodeon is set to debut a sequal focusing on one of Aang's decendents?!!!... :wub:

Nice bit of Thread Necromancy by the way... :lol:

Korra isn't Aang's descendant, just the next incarnation of the Avatar. One of Aang's kids will be in the show as Korra's airbending master.

Korra isn't Aang's descendant, just the next incarnation of the Avatar. One of Aang's kids will be in the show as Korra's airbending master.

Which is very cool, but somehow I wanted to see more of Aang, I know my kids will miss him. Kinda like Misa and Hikaru

Which is very cool, but somehow I wanted to see more of Aang, I know my kids will miss him. Kinda like Misa and Hikaru

You know, for sure, Aang's spirit will be talking to Korra. Though it will be a grown-up Aang.

We should probably start a new thread since this thread's crappy title will throw people off. By crappy, I mean the movie was super crappy.

yeah, I'm interested to find out what happened to him since he dies kind of young. I hope they also follow up whatever happened to Prince Zuko's mom.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, I read the article. I'm not impressed with his defense. Lets put it this way, I saw the show as an adult. The content was exceptional, as older viewers and younger viewers alike could get something out of the show. Parents could watch it with their kids and not feel burdened by it. However, M. Night's film, was abysmal. The Visually impressive bending techniques were toned down and horribly overdrawn. The names were mispronounced, the visual look of the ethnicity of the different characters (I get that you have to make adjustments to fit the talent, but that's a weak defense given the general lack in the movie) was messed up. The entire fire nation was casted from bollywood, and was generally unintimidating. M. Night took liberties with some things he didn't need to, and cut a lot of stuff out that was kind of important. Also, tons of expositional monologuing. The acting was flat and underwhelming. I could go on, but here just watch this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSu0HeRnG18

I'm saddened that M. Night is going ahead with a follow up. Based on his past movies, I'm not expecting much. The Sixth Sense was pretty good, Unbreakable wasn't bad. Overall though his movies have been rather forgettable. Except TLA, which was a horrid stinking pile of rhino crap.

I've seen the Legend of Korra all the way through, and I have to say I really enjoyed the entire Avatar franchise. I really wish that M Night would just leave it be. His first film was a flop, because it was horribly cast, and because he tried to aim it at an audience, that the source material was already aimed at. Sure the finer points of eastern philosophy are going to go right over the heads of most 9-14 year olds, then again it goes over the heads of many 40 year olds, so it's really just intellectual window dressing. And I'm going to harp on those visual effects, the bending scenes were tedious, and the fights were horribly paced compared to the show.

I will likely not see this new movie, and if I do, I will not shell out any of my hard earned money to see it, hello DVD rip. I had refused to acknowledge the TLA film's existence, after seeing it, I literally forgot to delete it from my hard drive, so as to avoid thinking about it.