What would you prefer?

Kronnang Dunn

What would you prefer?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Post your choice for the next Macross project...

• The original Super Dimension Macross TV series with new improved animation or slightly different plot ("Macross: The First" perhaps?)
    • Anything but THIS...

He could definitely fit in more like Viper role from Top-Gun. Even Isamu could mature eventually. Picture it:

"Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature on New Eden is 110 degrees."

CF#1: "Holy poo, it's Isamu!"

CF#2: "Isamu's up here, great... oh poo..."

Isn't that New Edwards? Eden is the whole planet.

Isn't that New Edwards? Eden is the whole planet.

Yeah, New Edwards would be more precise. IIRC Viper didn't really say the location at all, just the temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

Voted no. DYRL serves the exact same purpose. Keith's example is also a reason why. Here we have someone adamant about keeping the big things like the vocal track, but allowing for variance in costuming and what not. If he can allow it, imagine a non-fan that's redoing it.I can very well see that happening on such a project. That whole, "how can we make this cooler?" approach. You know they'd go with the DYRL designs off the bat, as those are considered "cooler" for example. The Star Trek remasters are an example of what I'm talking about. It started as an effort to have the effects scenes in HD and cleaner than the optical composites would allow. The "keep the 60s look' idea was a great start too. However, any time left over went into "improving" things and updating stuff like time displays or correcting errors (I don't mind that one so much). Little things sure, but meddling beyond the original mission. Worse, they got bolder and bolder to the point that the new shots started to look nothing like the old ones, which was the original intent(they mentioned something like tripling the exterior angles). Sure, the models were nicely kept to look like the 60s ones, but they definitely moved beyond the concept of only doing what was possible in 66. The plus side is that both versions are on the BluRay, the downside being that i constently have to see the awful CGI Enterprise everywhere now. So yeah, I could see a reanimation of Macross becoming a vastly different looking beast even if they kept the character designs and what not.

Oh course, that's the problem with remakes. They have to be different enough to make it worthwhile (I suppose redrawn animation alone would suffice), but faithful enough to warrent keeping the idea to begin with. Then you always have three or four camps. The one's that prefer the new, the ones that prefer the old, those that like both, and those that don't care either way, just give me the Macross. Add in any changes to the plot or characters and then you have debates on reconciling the two. We already have enough of that over the whole DYRL design bit. Not to mention the nice thing that happened with the Star Wars SEs where people think you're crazy for not going gaga over the CGI Valks. ^_^;;

Speaking of which, the CGI in those promos looks absolutely terrible. It's well animated and heavily detailed, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. The whole thing looks like the stuff GONZO used to do. Everything's so shiny and digital. It's fluid and detailed, but it looks downright cheap and soulless, like the early digital animations like Sol Bianca: The Legacy or BGC 2040. It's fine for a game (I don't really gamble, but I want that game), but do you guys seriously want Macross to look like that? I know the animation is dated, but part of the enjoyment of an 80s anime is that it's a product of its times. Go watch Frontier or Zero if you want 2000s Macross. Reanimating the whole thing to make it look new would sort of be like the slap in the face Lucas did to the old Dykstra effects (that still look better). Suddenly it's not good enough anymore.

So we've already got DYRL. We even have The First taking it's own stab at mucking around with things. While I might allow for a fan redo of Virgin Road (or at least the knife fight), though only if done as seemlessly as possible. CGI Valks are out of the question. The rest is fine as it is.

I'm letting a little bit of my anti-SE nature take hold. Maybe I should have left it at a simple, "no". :rolleyes:

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I would definitely be against a remake... but i would love it if they reanimated the whole thing (frame for frame, line for line) with the same quality as those scenes from the pachingco game. i wouldn't mind that at all.

So basically rotoscope it and digitally repaint everything then? Because doing it line for line wouldn't even be reanimating it, just slapping on a new coat of paint (which itself would drastically change the look of the show). There's no real point in that. The closest to something like that would be the new Eva movies, since 1.0 used a lot of the same storyboards. It looks kind of cool, but it also looks really different. And that's just a 15 year gap. I agree with JBO, the only acceptable alternative would be fixing up the lesser scenes with stuff that looks like the A material, and that's not going to happen since the techniques used don't even exist anymore. They did something similar to LotGH, and the few screenshots I've seen look nothing like the old show. It's better animated, but rather jarring. They even CG'ed the warships, which was retarded. It's basically just like the Zeta movies, the new animation being gorgeous, but sticking out. So you'd have to do the Eva approach. Rotoscope everything and fix what needs fixing. unless you could actually do something more like the MSG triology. but that was new animation from the same period, hence why it didn't stick out.

I would like to see something new.

About half a year I watched SDF Macross TV and I think that it's looking good even now, the music is awesome and the character development\story are very good. I don't think that the series need some new version. It's good as it is.

They should remake the tv series animation, update all the designs (VF-1 included), ban the tv series cockpit from canon. The only problem is that they would insert some "moe" at the characters. And the opening song would be exanged for some generic j-pop rock song. Just like in gundam zeta movie. And pray for not extending the episode numbers to 50.

The only problem with the original TV series is the animation quality of some episodes, while ep. 27 had great well done scenes, most of the animation after ep. 27 is a really let down. Maybe the animation team was celebrating "oh yeah last ep. gonna give my best this week", then later after recieving the news: "oh no more episodes to do, uh... did Misa with 3 hands, whatever..."

Wow, I think I might have pooped a little when I saw that new Pachinko footage! I'd also like to have that on DVD. Maybe when enough random footage like this and the ads for the Macross Fever adverts has accumulated I'd like to think there's a chance of doing another DVD like the 20th anniversary one put out a few years ago.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't care how you term it, any kind of re-do of the original SDFM would be utterly pointless. The Macross the First manga solely exists for this purpose. It is a cost efficient way of re-imagining the original storyline and making it more contemporary (mobile phones no longer mean a telephone on wheels that follows you around!). I'm not sure people appreciate how much goes into an animated production, but at the very least it takes a LOT of cash. Like, an ass-load of money. Even retooling the animation alone would be only slightly cheaper than a regular production, and for it to look cutting edge like it deserves world bump the total up even more. And then you'd be left with stunning visuals with a soundtrack that sounds like it was made in the 80's, and Hikaru would be telling Misa to get back in the kitchen, kaifun would be throwing liquor bottles at his cousin (who he wants to marry), and Zentradis would be remarking on how the culture of a cigarette is delicious.

Also, DYRL is the remake. It's a shining example of truly stunning animation that belies its age and puts many contemporary titles to shame. It does not get any better than that.

Plus, Frontier is essentially an homage to the original series. So that's THREE versions of the same story (3.5 if you count Frontier).

How many times do you want to see the same story over and over again?

If the Macross franchise is to survive it cannot keep recycling it's origins into entropy. New Gundam titles come out all the time. We're lucky if we get a new series every 5 years. I don't know how to emphasize this enough. MACROSS MUST PROGRESS!

Look at Star Wars. The "remastered" releases made the originals worse. There was a whole South Park episode that covered this topic! Any completed work of art, wether it means to or not, says something about the time it was created. Should we invade the Louvre and paint the Mona Lisa with designer clothes and an i-pod because she looks a little dated? No.

The day we see SDFM reanimated and repackaged is the day Macross dies.

Edited by mitch

If you think those are cool you should out

Those are some amazin vids. I have to confess I got goosebumps when I saw Focker in full cry with Oboeteimasuka...

Having said that I don't think they should do a remake. Macross should move forward and give us new content and new stories.

I wouldn't mind seeing an OVA with the SDFM cast again. Like side stories on the character's backgrounds and stuff, like showing Hikaru learning how to fly from Focker or stories they never got around to animating in the show. I know the series was originally penned to be around 50 episodes so there's bound to be extra material for things like this.

I wouldn't mind seeing an OVA with the SDFM cast again. Like side stories on the character's backgrounds and stuff, like showing Hikaru learning how to fly from Focker or stories they never got around to animating in the show. I know the series was originally penned to be around 50 episodes so there's bound to be extra material for things like this.

Not really...most of the stuff that got cut out involved the Macross traveling to various parts of the world, all of which got completely destroyed by the end of the episode.

Hell, the omni-directional barrier overload even blew up the moon! :o

maybe a collection of shorts (5-10min) that just go through the parts the series skipped (Roy's funeral, Max and Millia deciding to marry, Kakizaki last thoughts of the steak that got away etc.)

maybe a collection of shorts (5-10min) that just go through the parts the series skipped (Roy's funeral, Max and Millia deciding to marry, Kakizaki last thoughts of the steak that got away etc.)

Great ideas!

Me, I want a twelve-part OVA about the daily life of the Pinpoint Barrier Girls.

Or a movie about Yot-chan's trials and tribulations as he becomes Nyan-Nyan's manager, and turns it into a galaxy-wide chain.

Great ideas!

Me, I want a twelve-part OVA about the daily life of the Pinpoint Barrier Girls.

Or a movie about Yot-chan's trials and tribulations as he becomes Nyan-Nyan's manager, and turns it into a galaxy-wide chain.

I would like to see their exhaustive trackball training