1/60 YF-21 help?

Knightdramon

Just got the bird today, it's a really solid offering IMO. The instructions could be shorter as I mostly transformed mine from gerwalk to battroid without looking at them, plus having some limbs\belly covers popped off in the booklet didn't really help me make out the poor B\W photos.

It looks killer in all modes [did not expect to like gerwalk] but putting it back to fighter mode was underwhelming. Are there supposed to be any "gaps" on the sides [mostly in the forearms-shins resting area] when put back? Also, are the belly covers in any sample locking firmly together in place? Mine always leave a small, almost unnoticeable gap [especially with the fastpacks], and squeezing them together just unsecures the locking tabs for the thrusters area.

Any guideline pictures of the sides\back when in "perfectly transformed" fighter mode would be aces, thanks!

I've had mine for about five weeks now, and I've transformed it many many times. I consider myself a fairly meticulous person, so I am very precise with the transformations.

1) Yes, there are gaps around the forearms in fighter mode, simply because the forearms have a somewhat curved aesthetic that has to fit into a straight fuselage. The gaps are not very big, however.

2) I could never get the belly plates to come together completely. Just like you, squeezing them together unseats some other tabs. I've never been able to find a way to "fix" this; however, the gap is very small, and I've just chalked it up to complexities in engineering and number of parts, after a couple hours of poking/prodding/looking around with an LED flashlight.

The perfectionist in me says that it could be even better, but as it is, with its (very) small flaws, the YF-21 is a stunning bird in all forms.

In the rare occasions the belly plates come together at all, I've never seen them hold without a gap for more than about 2 secs. Not without other parts popping out. You can either have the belly gap gone, OR have the rear fuselage fit together. Not both.

I've had mine for about five weeks now, and I've transformed it many many times. I consider myself a fairly meticulous person, so I am very precise with the transformations.

1) Yes, there are gaps around the forearms in fighter mode, simply because the forearms have a somewhat curved aesthetic that has to fit into a straight fuselage. The gaps are not very big, however.

2) I could never get the belly plates to come together completely. Just like you, squeezing them together unseats some other tabs. I've never been able to find a way to "fix" this; however, the gap is very small, and I've just chalked it up to complexities in engineering and number of parts, after a couple hours of poking/prodding/looking around with an LED flashlight.

The perfectionist in me says that it could be even better, but as it is, with its (very) small flaws, the YF-21 is a stunning bird in all forms.

I had this problem as well, but until I figured out that the reason the belly plates were not flush is when i noticed that the hips are the culprits.

What you have to do is push the connecting bar for the legs into the main body while at the same time pushing it towards the fuselage. It is kind of hard to describe but once you try and achieve what I am explaining you'll see the parts remain flush.

Hope this helps.

In the rare occasions the belly plates come together at all, I've never seen them hold without a gap for more than about 2 secs. Not without other parts popping out. You can either have the belly gap gone, OR have the rear fuselage fit together. Not both.

Can be done. The legs have to go in a very specific way in a specific pose at a specific place, and you end up bending the belly plates a bit, but can be done.

I find that if you can't get the belly plates to close the gap enough, you need to play with the positioning of the arms and legs. There is a sweet spot they should be in so pay particular attention to the pictures on how the arms and legs are placed in fighter mode in the manuals. Note on included pic that I have the arms extended. The hands grabbing the ankles/soles of the feet and the ever important shoulder placement. Also make sure that you have the feet as symmetrical to each other as possible.

post-9075-1256931799_thumb.jpg

Note that it will never be "perfect" but usually I don't get much closer than this.

post-9075-1256931907_thumb.jpg post-9075-1256931954_thumb.jpg

All the tabs are holding and while there is a little bit of a gap there has to be for all the tabs to stay in place properly as far as I am concerned. Note that while I can get the plates to join perfectly here the second I move the toy the tabs that hold the plates in at the rear will pop loose. Remember that shoulder placement is just as critical as the leg placement here.

PS sorry about the pics being a little over exposed I was trying to do this quickly during my coffee break and I just threw the camera into auto to save time.

Edited by logos

There is an exact positioning of the legs where the knees don't touch each other. There's a hole on the grey piece from the back of the knees that becomes visible with an extra click.

This extended position causes the legs to be completely straight when tucked in, to avoid rubbing against each other and putting pressure on the belly plates.

There was a paper insert on my manual showing this. Hope my poor english clarifies it :lol:

I can take pictures when I get home.

There is an exact positioning of the legs where the knees don't touch each other. There's a hole on the grey piece from the back of the knees that becomes visible with an extra click.

This extended position causes the legs to be completely straight when tucked in, to avoid rubbing against each other and putting pressure on the belly plates.

There was a paper insert on my manual showing this. Hope my poor english clarifies it :lol:

I can take pictures when I get home.

Yep it works. Fiddled with the legs so that the sat a little more straight and Viola...>post-9075-1256934434_thumb.jpg

Edited by logos

Hehe yeah....... :lol: ........anyway even got the stupid fast packs to go on straight for a change.--->post-9075-1256933510_thumb.jpg

Edited by logos

The belly plates on mine connect as much as the first pictures logos posted, I'm going to try later on to see if I can get them as the second set. Didn't know that the fingers grasping the ankles in "stoaway" mode made that much a difference...

They help the end plates/cabs close correctly so they are in far enough to give the nubs on the belly plates the purchase they need. My first pics I didn't align the legs properly. After getting the knees parallel to the fuselage I then adjust them so that I got that "slight" gap between the knees. I then put the belly plates back and started fiddling a bit till I got the gap to pretty much close.

logos--please show me the top of the plane too, when the belly plates are closed. On mine, the upper rear fuselage always "pops up" if the plates are closed fully.

I know the knees are not the problem on mine. I am well aware of the "extra click and the little hole". (I have actually fully disassmbled the knees for repair, and am very familiar with their inner workings---same for the backpack). If anything I think mine's issue is actually the grey metal bar. I think once I got it fully clicked in. Every other time, it's only like 90% of the way in but will NOT go further. That or the shoulder.

Though the part the nozzles are attached too, where the belly plates latch into at the rear--also always an issue. The plates often slip sideways out of position.

::edit:: Hunh. I just got this to happen, while maintaining "as good as mine gets" for the upper rear plate. (I seriously think my back plate has a mold flaw or something---it will NOT lay flush with the middle/forward section---I've got stress marks from forcing it)

post-16-1256938012_thumb.jpg

post-16-1256938151_thumb.jpg

::edit:: Hunh. I just got this to happen, while maintaining "as good as mine gets" for the upper rear plate. (I seriously think my back plate has a mold flaw or something---it will NOT lay flush with the middle/forward section---I've got stress marks from forcing it)

I have two YF-21's and the VF-22 and the rear plate does not lay flush with the middle/forward section on any of them (in fighter mode).

I guess it was designed this way??. In gerwalk mode there's no problem to extend the backplate an extra 1/2 millimeter to make it sit flush.

logos--please show me the top of the plane too, when the belly plates are closed. On mine, the upper rear fuselage always "pops up" if the plates are closed fully.

I know the knees are not the problem on mine. I am well aware of the "extra click and the little hole". (I have actually fully disassmbled the knees for repair, and am very familiar with their inner workings---same for the backpack). If anything I think mine's issue is actually the grey metal bar. I think once I got it fully clicked in. Every other time, it's only like 90% of the way in but will NOT go further. That or the shoulder.

Though the part the nozzles are attached too, where the belly plates latch into at the rear--also always an issue. The plates often slip sideways out of position.

Yeah it's not sitting totally flush. It's not crooked but it is raised a little bit. If I remove the fast packs it gets allot better.........maybe a case of damned if you do damned if you dont?

Yeah it's not sitting totally flush. It's not crooked but it is raised a little bit. If I remove the fast packs it gets allot better.........maybe a case of damned if you do damned if you dont?

logos, i'm still having trouble...the legs on my 21 don't seem to want to extend for "an extra click". i even have the extra translation sheet, but the dang thing is so dark it's hard to tell whats going on. could you snap a pic or two or maybe give a bit more clarification?

Hehe yeah....... :lol: ........anyway even got the stupid fast packs to go on straight for a change.--->post-9075-1256933510_thumb.jpg

THAT is AWESOME. Those fast packs are so damn aggravating. I'm trying this trick right now...

logos, i'm still having trouble...the legs on my 21 don't seem to want to extend for "an extra click". i even have the extra translation sheet, but the dang thing is so dark it's hard to tell whats going on. could you snap a pic or two or maybe give a bit more clarification?

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but we mentioned this awhile back in one of the old YF-21 threads: Linky with color picture attachments.

On my custom YF-21, I also "cheat" and take off the kneepads when going back into fighter mode (minimizes the paint-rub ;) ). Doing that might help out a little bit when you're trying to get the -21 back into fighter mode.

Edited by Mog

That's what I'm saying--you can close them, but you can't make them seamless/flush. If anyone can (while NOT popping the rear fuselage apart on top) please post pics.

took me a while to figure that out, doh... but yeah, on mine the back part doesn't pop up post-8437-1257498905_thumb.jpg

even if i squeeze the belly plates tight post-8437-1257498915_thumb.jpg

(and i like to make sure them feet/toes are properly aligned too...)

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but we mentioned this awhile back in one of the old YF-21 threads: Linky with color picture attachments.

On my custom YF-21, I also "cheat" and take off the kneepads when going back into fighter mode (minimizes the paint-rub ;) ). Doing that might help out a little bit when you're trying to get the -21 back into fighter mode.

yes! and thank you mog! that helps a lot, but what i'm REALLY needing is a pic with the legs positioned correctly before the belly plates are closed.

now i have to figure how to get the 21 transformed correctly WITH the rear fuselage in place :wacko: this thing is a beaut of a puzzle and i love it...but DANG. it is without a doubt the most difficult thing to transform that i have ever owned. i've had it since release and only transformed it twice. i could never get the belly plates to behave correctly so i just displayed it with the fast packs on and left it alone (my fast packs aren't wonky like most i've read about). i never even realized the fuselage was supposed to set flush.

maybe i should try chucking it against the wall...i've read in another thread that will produce interesting results :lol:

Edited by firmpulse

Yeah----my -21 won't have the back plate that flush no matter what---even with the legs and belly plates entirely removed from the plane. I can't even force/hold it in place that well-aligned.

interestingly enough i got my back plate to sit flush with no problem what-so-ever. however, i am still having trouble with the legs. could someone who has gotten this process to work snap a photo with the legs positioned correctly with the belly plates open? it would be a great help.

yes! and thank you mog! that helps a lot, but what i'm REALLY needing is a pic with the legs positioned correctly before the belly plates are closed.

now i have to figure how to get the 21 transformed correctly WITH the rear fuselage in place :wacko: this thing is a beaut of a puzzle and i love it...but DANG. it is without a doubt the most difficult thing to transform that i have ever owned. i've had it since release and only transformed it twice. i could never get the belly plates to behave correctly so i just displayed it with the fast packs on and left it alone (my fast packs aren't wonky like most i've read about). i never even realized the fuselage was supposed to set flush.

maybe i should try chucking it against the wall...i've read in another thread that will produce interesting results :lol:

If you look at the picture I provided it's almost perfect. The legs need to be perfectly aligned with each other viewing from the top (edit: while leaving the slight gap between the knees) and the back of the VF. It is tricky and taking the knee pads off might help you out a bit.

Edited by logos

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah----my -21 won't have the back plate that flush no matter what---even with the legs and belly plates entirely removed from the plane. I can't even force/hold it in place that well-aligned.

You are not alone... It drives me nuts.

But even with all that, everything I hold the dang thing in fighter mode I think its the most bleepin' beautific valk toy ever made by FAR.

You are not alone... It drives me nuts.

But even with all that, everything I hold the dang thing in fighter mode I think its the most bleepin' beautific valk toy ever made by FAR.

if i only had the time to fiddle

even after getting the new version i just use scotch tape the armor plates are horrendous

i stiil think rhe best 21 is the 72

Once I figured out how hide the hole in the knee joint, from the old YF-21 thread, I had no problems getting the belly plates closed... is the backpack supposed to go down flush, though?