Lego Valk Part Deux (pic heavy)

Chronocidal

So, a few people might remember the ginormous 1/18th-ish lego VF-1S I made back a couple years ago (still have the pics up at http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/34788 ).

Well, I took that apart when I moved out. Just took too much space. But I figured someday I'd return to it...

That someday started about two weeks ago, when I moved my lego collection out of my parents house.

I restarted from scratch, shrinking the overall size, with the intention of hitting about 1/32 scale this time, and just about nailed it (from the pictures, it's about the length of two 1/60 valks). I finally found a decent set of huge hinges to use, and used them to great extent.

Overall result is about the same posability of a chunky monkey, with the rough proportions of a V.2 1/60. The arms are a bit weak, and probably need a rebuild.

Anyway, to the pics!

Early pic, when I still had ball/socket joints in the hips... weight made me change those out fast when the arms got added. But the poses possible here were awesome.

HPIM0455.jpg

Second progress shot, before a few leg changes and the tail section

HPIM0469.jpg

test shot for the gunpod

HPIM0476.jpg

Fighter mode comparison

HPIM0496.jpg

HPIM0498.jpg

This shot amazed me that the feet didn't break clean off.. this thing is heavy.

HPIM0508.jpg

underside

HPIM0509.jpg

tails fold up nicely

HPIM0515.jpg

continued....

going to gerwalk...

HPIM0516.jpg

HPIM0517.jpg

done

HPIM0522.jpg

HPIM0521.jpg

HPIM0524.jpg

And moving to battroid..

HPIM0536.jpg

HPIM0531.jpg

HPIM0533.jpg

HPIM0542.jpg

HPIM0552.jpg

Yeah.. this sucker is a bit huge. ^_^ Posing in battroid is a balancing act, and although the legs can be positioned pretty well, the joints still aren't stiff enough to do any fancy poses. It really needs the mid-thigh pivot before any real poses would be possible, and even then, the weight will make problems. It's fairly sturdy in fighter and gerwalk, but moving to battroid makes it very clear why Yamato used a metal plate for the chest piece on the v2 1/60.. While that joint was incredibly sturdy on my 1/18 version, shrinking to this size reduced that joint to a giant failure point that'll break easily.

Still, I'd say it's an overwhelming success compared to my aborted giant one. It's by no means perfect transformation, since you have to remove the head, and reattach the legs for battroid by adding the main hip joints, but I was really happy at some of the details I was able to cram in.

You've got some mad skills. That is awesome.

I had an idea. The Robotech iMen are very similar to lego men. I know, I know, they're "Robotech". And worse, Toynami. But they're cool toys, and well made. It would be amazing to get one to fit in a detailed lego cockpit! Trouble with that is the scale. The Valkyrie (Veritech) would probably have to be around 2 feet or so.

Not to mention your design is so intricate that a detailed cockpit may not be a reality. If I had half the skill set you have I would actually attempt it!

Sure would be cool though!

Anyhow-

Back on topic-

Great Valkyrie. I would actually love to build one. :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by mospeadamacrosstech

Actually, it might be possible to get a regular minifig in this one..I started that way, and changed it at some point to make the canopy shape better. I'd just have to hollow out the nose, and replace the canopy. The type of bubble canopy in the A-wing kits should work fine. Might even reduce the weight a bit, which would be good.

How did you do the hands? Are those Bionacle parts?

You should make directions for this baby and sell it. I'd buy one. I love your work!

Edited by mospeadamacrosstech

Yeah, the hands are straight out of bionicle sets (on of the most useful part they've made yet I think, they're ball jointed, and perfect for gripping things).

Really, the big thing that made this possible was a particular bionicle set- a giant tank/walker transforming thing that came with 16 of the biggest click joint Lego makes (same type that support the giant AT-AT legs), and a good set of newer ball/socket joints that are more stiff than the standard bionicle figures. That set is a treasure trove of mech-building parts (since, well, that set IS a giant transforming mech). Lego's even introduced some type of sliding hydraulic joint part that just provides tension on an axle.

I may rebuild this some more to strengthen the main body joints, and give the legs a bit more tension. Might adjust the proportions some too, though I dunno how much longer I can make the nose without making it slide like the v2 1/60.

If I do make instructions for it, it'll be a while, since I want to refine the design a lot more. And I might just offer them free honestly. Last time I did freelance work online, it screwed with my taxes and almost wasn't worth the hassle.