NMM paint technique on Macross kits

Bri

In short: non metalic metals, NMM for short, is a style of painting that aims to create a more realistic metalic look with opaque paints then can be done with metalic paints. The technique is quite popular in miniatures atm, but I rarely, if ever, see it used on larger model kits. Wonder if it still looks good on a larger surface.

The technique is also a commonly used amongst airbrushers. Anyone here with experience in that area that wouldn't mind shedding some light on the use on larger areas?

I plan to experiment with it on some VF-1's to see if I can get it to work.

For some background info:

Reflective materials: metal

Example model

That is a neat technique. But it would look strange in larger scale. I would say that the effect is it makes a 3D model look like cell shading. Which, when I think about it, might look awesome on Anime subjects. Most aircraft model builders try to get metal on their models. This would surely be something to stand out from the crowd.

In short: non metalic metals, NMM for short, is a style of painting that aims to create a more realistic metalic look with opaque paints then can be done with metalic paints. The technique is quite popular in miniatures atm, but I rarely, if ever, see it used on larger model kits. Wonder if it still looks good on a larger surface.

The technique is also a commonly used amongst airbrushers. Anyone here with experience in that area that wouldn't mind shedding some light on the use on larger areas?

Example model

I'm doing precisely this with alclad for my VF-11 build (and a RAAF Meteor) here. In addition I'm part of a NMF group build on Fine Scale modeler which has brought alot of different methods to the fore.

That is a neat technique. But it would look strange in larger scale. I would say that the effect is it makes a 3D model look like cell shading. Which, when I think about it, might look awesome on Anime subjects. Most aircraft model builders try to get metal on their models. This would surely be something to stand out from the crowd.

Indeed, I think this technique would make an anime vehicle look more "cartoony" as you'd never see real metalics in animation (except CGI).

I'm doing precisely this with alclad for my VF-11 build (and a RAAF Meteor) here. In addition I'm part of a NMF group build on Fine Scale modeler which has brought alot of different methods to the fore.

Interesting read, thanks for posting the link. NMF is somewhat different from NMM as it uses metalics opposed to purely opaque paints, but the color theory is the same and those models look amazing.

For those commenting that this would only work on small models, bear in mind the sample model is about 7-8inches tall. The trick to using this technique is that it is very uni-directional. You pick one light source, and stick with it. Most aircraft modelers just try and enhance existing details without painting to a specific light source. I am of the opinin that this would actually suit a Battroid model very well.

-Adam

Example model

I'm curious to see your experiment. Be awesome if it worked.