HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Additional thing to remember: Not all of us want a live action Macross film. Some people like their girls anime-style! :ph34r:

Pete

(who for the first time since joing Macross world has used the :ph34r: emoticon...)

How do like your tits, apple-sized or muskmelon-sized? :p

Things to remember:

-Hollywood is greedy

-Hollywood is unoriginal

-Hollywood will de-dub and re-write the movie and call it SDFM in Japan.

If Hg was smart they'd do item number three from the start.

I am just really interest how the copyright issues are being handled. Making a Robotech movie without paying the Japanese creators the royalties they are due seems like a really dicey case of plagiarism to me.

...*snip for length*...Actually, I think I might be on to something here...

Yeah, when you think about it, RT is based around the idea of some guy stealing stuff, dropping it on an unsuspecting people, and then rightful owners just wanting their stuff back.

I am just really interest how the copyright issues are being handled. Making a Robotech movie without paying the Japanese creators the royalties they are due seems like a really dicey case of plagiarism to me.

Well, as I've said, they'll just have to redesign everything and make everything loosely based around the original.

muskmelon-sized

What a muskmelon? ...I'll google it later - but to answer your question - above all, I like a girl that is proportional. I like girls that have everything at sizes that are good in relation to other things. And cute faces too. And a nice sense of dress.

I guess if I had to pick ONE Macross girl who I like best from a strictly physical point of view...hm...then...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... well...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

This should be a no brainer for me - but I'm so sentimental that I actually find these girls attractive for reasons that go beyond their bodies...but still...purely physical...NOT looking at personalities..hmm...

I'm thinking probably Sarah Nome? Lyn Minmey from DYRL comes in second place- but only because of that scene where she's in short shorts and that tight t-shirt - I love her legs in that scene. She doesn't have "long legs" - she's a fairly short well proportioned girl. Nice.

But perhaps I'm having trouble deciding on which Macross girl I find most physically attractive for the simple reason that my favorite anime girl of all time is Asahina Mikuru from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - she's the perfect girl. I particularly like how she looks in the knee length dress she wears in the episode during the first season where Haruhi has the SOS-dan go to town and split up to look for mysteries, and she walks with Kyon in the park. THAT's the girl of my dreams right there :)

Well - this whole thread is technically dedicated to that issue. Check the Hall of Super Topics - the last incarnation of this thread is there. It's like a million pages long and goes into depth about the legal issues.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry798933

Pete

What a muskmelon? ...I'll google it later - but to answer your question - above all, I like a girl that is proportional. I like girls that have everything at sizes that are good in relation to other things. And cute faces too. And a nice sense of dress.

I guess if I had to pick ONE Macross girl who I like best from a strictly physical point of view...hm...then...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... well...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

This should be a no brainer for me - but I'm so sentimental that I actually find these girls attractive for reasons that go beyond their bodies...but still...purely physical...NOT looking at personalities..hmm...

I'm thinking probably Sarah Nome? Lyn Minmey from DYRL comes in second place- but only because of that scene where she's in short shorts and that tight t-shirt - I love her legs in that scene. She doesn't have "long legs" - she's a fairly short well proportioned girl. Nice.

But perhaps I'm having trouble deciding on which Macross girl I find most physically attractive for the simple reason that my favorite anime girl of all time is Asahina Mikuru from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - she's the perfect girl. I particularly like how she looks in the knee length dress she wears in the episode during the first season where Haruhi has the SOS-dan go to town and split up to look for mysteries, and she walks with Kyon in the park. THAT's the girl of my dreams right there :)

Well - this whole thread is technically dedicated to that issue. Check the Hall of Super Topics - the last incarnation of this thread is there. It's like a million pages long and goes into depth about the legal issues.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry798933

Pete

I see you're not an Alton Brown fan. A muskmelon is what most people in the states mistakenly call a canteloupe.

I see you're not an Alton Brown fan. A muskmelon is what most people in the states mistakenly call a canteloupe

Sh!t !!! Then I'm screwed because I don't even know what a canteloupe is. Is it like a dude who can't elope for religious reasons?? :huh:

Pete :lol:

Edited by VFTF1

And I don't know where you got your characterization of Dana Sterling from, but that is not how she comes off in the last book, The End of the Circle. There she still is a gung-ho action-girl, which is a definite step up from "emotional wreck for the rest of her life".

Her character was retconed in her brief appearance in the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comic, which the current creative team has made, in addition to Shadow Chronicles, official over the novels and comic books. She's now shell shocked or something because of Zor Prime's death and the chaos from the Master's Saga. There might be some bitterness with Maia too, but it's hard to make any real conclusions because it was really just a cameo for Southern Cross fans.

Edited by Einherjar

Her character was retconed in her brief appearance in the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comic, which the current creative team has made, in addition to Shadow Chronicles, official over the novels and comic books. She's now shell shocked or something because of Zor Prime's death and the chaos from the Master's Saga. There might be some bitterness with Maia too, but it's hard to make any real conclusions because it was really just a cameo for Southern Cross fans.

Oh, okay. <facepalm>

Shadow Chronicles really is from the ninth layer of hell, isn't it? :wacko:

OMG, I am just on page two of the other thread and my brain already hurts because of the sheer amount of stupid of the RT people

I sometimes wonder whether it's stupidity, or just a case of old habits dying hard. It's really not easy to admit that not just every FACT you have in your head about something is actually not a fact, but a lie, but it's even harder to get rid of latent correlations and tendencies to recall certain things in a certain way...even if you know it's incorrect.

I remember when I first came to Macross World, there was a period of maybe a month where, whenever I would write about Misa Hayase, I kept writing "Misa Hayes." And people would keep saying "HAYASE!" - and I knew it was wrong...but it was just a matter of something being so deeply ingrained that one had to force onself to change the habit.

Whenever I read what Robotech folks have to say - it is clear to me that they are ignorant not just about Robotech, but about Macross and anime especially - and they are not even AWARE of their ignorance.

Me - I know I'm ignorant. I know there's a ton of stuff I haven't watched, a ton of stuff I haven't read, a ton of references I don't get. It's important to know this and be able to ask questions.

But RT fans generally tend not to do this. They literally don't want to take off the blinders RT and HG have put on them for so long and look around at Macross and Japanese anime.... even though they keep saying that Robotech was an attempt to bring the "wonderful" world of anime to America --- they then turn around and don't care for that world at all.

Pete

OMG, I am just on page two of the other thread and my brain already hurts because of the sheer amount of stupid of the RT people. :blink: Oh, well, at least it is entertaining seeing you guys crush Mr. Capslock into grimy paste.

It's really only a very small number of people...fewer than ten, in all likelihood.

But they tend to be SO dumb that's hard not to focus on them... :mellow:

Man, I've been on this page for like two days, and never had a chance to read anything till now. Seems like a lot has gone on. I really hope there isn't a Macross LAM, EVER. I like the anime style, and think that a LAM would really only be a detraction from what Macross really is. I stand on the firm belief that just because something can be made into a Hollywood movie, doesn't mean it should.

In the conversation of PTTSC, Dana does come off as more of a cowardly mess. Her first appearance in the Love and War comics (I think) shows her in Mospeada armor retreating the earth, in which again, that whole series is a retelling of the background of how Max and Miriya hooked up. Then, in PTTSC, she is shown in the cameo in a brief uncomfortable moment between her and Maia, which brings up another question...I know this maybe an odd question for here, but did anyone ever get a reason, or hear a reason why Dana's "sister" in Southern Cross was changed from Aurora to Maia in RTSC? It seemed like one of those "hey, let's mess up our continuity more so that we can show how much in control we are, then we'll make the fans like it." Either that, or they liked the name from Macross Zero. That's what I think, a combo of both. It's a C-O-N spiracy.

I sometimes wonder whether it's stupidity, or just a case of old habits dying hard. It's really not easy to admit that not just every FACT you have in your head about something is actually not a fact, but a lie, but it's even harder to get rid of latent correlations and tendencies to recall certain things in a certain way...even if you know it's incorrect.

I remember when I first came to Macross World, there was a period of maybe a month where, whenever I would write about Misa Hayase, I kept writing "Misa Hayes." And people would keep saying "HAYASE!" - and I knew it was wrong...but it was just a matter of something being so deeply ingrained that one had to force onself to change the habit.

Whenever I read what Robotech folks have to say - it is clear to me that they are ignorant not just about Robotech, but about Macross and anime especially - and they are not even AWARE of their ignorance.

Me - I know I'm ignorant. I know there's a ton of stuff I haven't watched, a ton of stuff I haven't read, a ton of references I don't get. It's important to know this and be able to ask questions.

But RT fans generally tend not to do this. They literally don't want to take off the blinders RT and HG have put on them for so long and look around at Macross and Japanese anime.... even though they keep saying that Robotech was an attempt to bring the "wonderful" world of anime to America --- they then turn around and don't care for that world at all.

Pete

Quite the double-standard, eh?

I'm in the same boat as you, really. I'm not very well versed in anime, with the fact that I've only been learning about the expansive Macross universe over the last year. Add to that, some very kind people (Thank you, Seto and Talos) have been expanding my horizons with selected Gundam titles, as well as other stuff. It's a 'whole new world' kind of thing.

Some things were extremely difficult to get my head around, at first, seeing as I was exposed to Robotech at first. For example, it was somewhat difficult to get my head around the idea that Protoculture was NOT a super-energy plant, but a long-dead race. For antoher thing, I rejoyced when I had heardd that it was called a Destroid Tomahawk, and not 'Excalibur Mk.4' (As Paladium's game showed it to be).

Now, in my budding enlightened state, I'm finding myself less and less drawn to RT, out of sheer disgust. Not only is Harmony Gold's half-assed efforts left me doing little more than laughing at them, but the derisive nature of the fans, coupled with thier willing gullibility and outright hatred of Macross' continued success has left such a foul taste in my mouth that I no longer look to interact with them very much.

I still have a fnondness for RT. Like many, many others, it was my exposure to Anime. Unlike a lot of folks, though, I recognise what it is, and that's it: A conglomeration of three seperate shows, strung together to make it possible for syndication in the US. Nothing more. I don't see it as a franchise to rival the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Bayformers (I must be honest, I liked the first movie). It's a little-known, seldom remembered legacy cartoon from the '80s, and the only time someone other than a hardcore fan even remembers it is when they go into thier parents' attick and dig around thier old toy boxes. They may find a Matchbox toy or two, and think about that hoaky ol' cartoon they watched early on Saturday mornings, with the volume low, so that they wouldn't wake thier parents up.

No, like I said, I have a small, special place in my heart for RT, and for that, I'll finish my little novel. Other than that, though, I've become burned out. In the case of some fans, I've become more than burned out. I've become disgusted.

Maybe they were following the naming pattern Macross established for once with the Max and Milia children. Maia could have been a good name for Dana, which could follow up some of the animosity between the two some people have concluded from her cameo in Prelude. And why choose Dana as a name? That's way out there from the originals Komilia and Jeanne. At least most of the other characters they named had some semblance to their original names. Then again, she is an oddity created as a result of the show.

I still have a fnondness for RT. Like many, many others, it was my exposure to Anime. Unlike a lot of folks, though, I recognise what it is, and that's it: A conglomeration of three seperate shows, strung together to make it possible for syndication in the US. Nothing more. I don't see it as a franchise to rival the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Bayformers (I must be honest, I liked the first movie). It's a little-known, seldom remembered legacy cartoon from the '80s, and the only time someone other than a hardcore fan even remembers it is when they go into thier parents' attick and dig around thier old toy boxes. They may find a Matchbox toy or two, and think about that hoaky ol' cartoon they watched early on Saturday mornings, with the volume low, so that they wouldn't wake thier parents up.

No, like I said, I have a small, special place in my heart for RT, and for that, I'll finish my little novel. Other than that, though, I've become burned out. In the case of some fans, I've become more than burned out. I've become disgusted.

Funny...I had kind of the opposite reaction for a while. I wrote off Robotech a long time ago, and just kind of scratched my head at the antics of the crazier RT fans...but JT kind of got me interested again...not in the show itself, but in the goings-on in the fandom and the fan projects.

But yeah...as Robotech.com has slid ever further into a persecution complex, and RobotechX has turned into a battleground of DougBendo vs. everyone else (if he gets so many downloads, why are there no "Disciples of Bendo" jumping to his defense?)...I've gotten sick of it, too.

Maybe they were following the naming pattern Macross established for once with the Max and Milia children. Maia could have been a good name for Dana, which could follow up some of the animosity between the two some people have concluded from her cameo in Prelude. And why choose Dana as a name? That's way out there from the originals Komilia and Jeanne. At least most of the other characters they named had some semblance to their original names. Then again, she is an oddity created as a result of the show.

Well, a lot of the name changes seemed unnecessary. Leaving aside L/R and V/B differences ("Gloval" and "Global," are, in Japanese, the same name..you say "tomayto," I say "tomahto"), there are changes that leave me scratching my head. Why is "Grant" so much better than "LaSalle"? Does "Henry" sound a lot better than "Bruno"? "Lana Isavia" sounds more like a real name than "Nova Satori" does, and I certainly know more people named "Jim" than I do named "Lunk."

So what was the point?

They were really just re-editing a show they have very little personal investment in, maybe they were lazy since they didn't have to do much work for the original series. Plus, you gotta have some stand out or quirky names so that the audience will remember them. It is a show with probably too many characters for children at the time to keep track of.

Oh, and doug bendo has been banned, and life just goes on.

Henry is an English name too, so why give a guy with a stereotypical Russian accent a name like that?

I'm still interested in how they went from "Hikaru Ichiyo" to "Rick Hunter". I know he was "Rick Yamato" in the earlier dubs which still isn't that great, but at least they were keeping his Japanese ancestry intact.

Edited by MastaEgg

They're probably pissed they didn't change more names due to the rights issues now. They Americanized the names to make the characters appeal more to American kids. As to why "Rick Hunter" it was probably no more deep than someone saying "That sounds like a cool name kids will love... 'cause Rick is an any man name and Hunter sounds tough."

Brief case study of Robotech-turned-Macross fan.

1985: Robotech airs on weekday afternoons, and I love it (as much as a very small child can love any TV show). However, shortly after it went off the air, I had mostly forgotten about it. I clearly remembered "Rick Hunter" and the SDF-1 and the kickass fighter with the skull and crossbones. I also vaguely remembered the "cyclones" and the Invid, but I had no recollection of anything in between for many years. (A testament to how forgettable and crappy Southern Cross was.) I also had no recollection of any of the plot points of Robotech, like the perversion of Protoculture and some stupid flower.

So yes, I had fond memories of Robotech, at least the tiny bits I could remember.

1986-1992: Like the rest of the 25 years of Robotech's existence, little to nothing happened on the Robotech front. I heard or read somewhere that Robotech was made from three separate anime, but since I didn't give a crap about Robotech anyway, I never pursued the matter further. Though this was before the Interweb, so information was often hard to come by, much to HG's benefit and our current mutual chagrin.

I did obtain a copy of "The Sentinels" during this time. And I was disgusted at how bad it was. Later on I did start reading the Robotech novels because a friend had them and was reading them, and while they were alright, there were hardly anything to write home about.

1993: I got Macross II on VHS and loved it, despite the stupid ending. I hadn't seen DYRL yet but I still felt like it was a weak ripoff of the original Macross (I had already shed Robotech away even though I hadn't even seen all of the original Macross in its original form). I guess it was around this time period that Robotech died to me and it was full speed ahead Macross!

1995: Saw Macross Plus and loved it. If Robotech was dead to me already, then this cremated its remains and shot it out a torpedo tube into space. The YF-19 became my favorite variable fighter for years... until the VF-25 came along. :D

1996 to the present: I was able to see some of the original Macross episodes during this time, but I would not be able to see it in its entirety straight through, uncut and unedited, until the Animeigo DVD release. I also got about halfway through Macross 7, but I just couldn't go further; it reminded me too much of the "Sailor Moon" type shows of the era. (I think I stopped around the episode where Basara fights off some furry magical monster with his huge speaker attachments.)

From 2000 and on, as I learned more and more about the legal situation, HG's sleazy shenanigans, seen the complete stagnation of the franchise in comparison to the continued success of Macross, and the crazed and often moronic Robotech fanboys, my indifference to Robotech has become disgust and contempt. How can anyone continue to gloat over such a crappy series and the greasy thugs who run it?

It boggles my mind how anyone can be that goddamn stupid and stubborn. Thanks to the Interweb information (and entire shows) are freely available, much to our benefit and HG's chagrin.

As to why "Rick Hunter" it was probably no more deep than someone saying "That sounds like a cool name kids will love... 'cause Rick is an any man name and Hunter sounds tough."

That's probably the same logic they followed when making original protagonists like Jack Archer (Battlecry) and Jack Baker (Sentinels and maybe rescued from Untold Story). Funny, all three of them are orphans, have generic sounding names, and have a tough sounding profession as a last name.

What? Bakers are tough, they're good with their hands. :lol:

That's probably the same logic they followed when making original protagonists like Jack Archer (Battlecry) and Jack Baker (Sentinels and maybe rescued from Untold Story). Funny, all three of them are orphans, have generic sounding names, and have a tough sounding profession as a last name.

What? Bakers are tough, they're good with their hands. :lol:

Based on that, I bet the new hero in Shadow Rising will be named "Dick Butcher."

Which is the manliest name ever.

Happened to me too. Its sign that Topless Robot really is bad for you.

It must be in one of the adverts, or a browser-sensitive ActiveX plugin... I'm using Firefox and AdBlock Plus and I'm not running into any malware. If I did, it oughta light my system's overprotective security setup up like a christmas tree.

I don't know where you got your characterization of Dana Sterling from, but that is not how she comes off in the last book, The End of the Circle. There she still is a gung-ho action-girl, which is a definite step up from "emotional wreck for the rest of her life".

I'm not talking about the novels, I'm talking about the official continuity of the animated series and canon comics, wherein Dana sort of degenerates into Zor's sidekick and then ends up traumatized after he dies, so much so that seeing another clone of Zor (Rem, from Sentinels) completely freaks her out in Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles.

Yeah, when you think about it, RT is based around the idea of some guy stealing stuff, dropping it on an unsuspecting people, and then rightful owners just wanting their stuff back.

Holy crap, it intruded into the real world too... it started back in 1985.

Oh, well, at least it is entertaining seeing you guys crush Mr. Capslock into grimy paste.

Speaking of our dear friend Mr. Capslock, it looks like he finally got sick of dougbendo causing all kinds of fights over on RobotechX, but he unwisely opted to use it as an excuse to ban a few "undesirables" who regularly call him out on his lies and crazy theories as well. He's gonna find RobotechX just became a MUCH quieter and less active place.

Speaking of our dear friend Mr. Capslock, it looks like he finally got sick of dougbendo causing all kinds of fights over on RobotechX, but he unwisely opted to use it as an excuse to ban a few "undesirables" who regularly call him out on his lies and crazy theories as well. He's gonna find RobotechX just became a MUCH quieter and less active place.

So I guess both Memo and doug lost credibility from the partnership and paving the way for more followers of his gospel for Robotechx. Because those people are the only ones who are going to see value in the site pretty soon. What was all of this for again, pedo bears and three bald guys?

I'll wish them a wonderful YEAR FOUR of waiting for anything new Robotech in advance, that at least one of them is going to whine about anyway. Love the Animal House theme you're relying on there.

And on that note:

dougbendo: "Yo, J T, I'm really happy for your tenth show and all, I'ma let you finish, but the Robotech Fan is the best podcast of all time! One of the best podcast of all time!!!"

It's not character assassination if it's true.

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/25-robotec...p;start=40#8429

Like I said, not worth it.

Edited by Einherjar

Everyone is a Disciple of Seto.

His Keyboard is his podium his word is logical and easy to read as well as easy on the eyes.

In short If you don't listen to Captain Capslock, Dougbendo or the rest of their gang ten your considered a Setoite.

"In the past this information has been suppressed, but now it can be told. Every man, woman, and mutant on this planet shall know the truth about Setovolution."

"Oh Dad...we're ALL Seto!"

Who are a couple of people he mentioned, Brooklen red leg and protoculture, are they really important?

Brooklyn Red Leg is here, I believe under the name 1st Border Red Devil. He's probably the world's most vocal Southern Cross proponent. Protoculture is also here, and he's a big fan of both Macross AND Robotech.

And, um...who mentioned them?