HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Oooh...a conspiracy? I WANT IN ON IT!! I CAN BE MORE CONSPIRATORIAL THAN ANYONE!! :lol:

(But I thought he figured he was banned from RTX because the mod was having an affair with HappyPenguins, right? The same HappyPenguins that he accused ME of having an affair with, as well... :wacko: Now it's all part of a vast Anti-Robotech-Wing conspiracy...? Hmmm...)

LOL he's accused everyone I'm friends with of having an affair with me :lol:

he's such an amusing troll

Oooh...a conspiracy? I WANT IN ON IT!! I CAN BE MORE CONSPIRATORIAL THAN ANYONE!! :lol:

I know I'm going to hate myself for this later, but...

Yo Roswell, New Mexico! I'm happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Robotech had one of the best conspiracies of all time! OF ALL TIME!

(But I thought he figured he was banned from RTX because the mod was having an affair with HappyPenguins, right? The same HappyPenguins that he accused ME of having an affair with, as well... :wacko: Now it's all part of a vast Anti-Robotech-Wing conspiracy...? Hmmm...)

No doubt he thinks all the affairs are part of the conspiracy too... makes me wonder why I haven't been accused of having an affair with HP too. *feels left out now*

LOL he's accused everyone I'm friends with of having an affair with me :lol:

he's such an amusing troll

Not me! Somehow I got left out of the People Against Harmony Gold fundraiser orgy. :p

Yo Roswell, New Mexico! I'm happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Robotech had one of the best conspiracies of all time! OF ALL TIME!

No doubt he thinks all the affairs are part of the conspiracy too... makes me wonder why I haven't been accused of having an affair with HP too. *feels left out now*

Not me! Somehow I got left out of the People Against Harmony Gold fundraiser orgy. :p

Damn! 'Am gone for a few days and all craziness breaks lose. So what this about Gubaba having an afair together with Happy and MEMO?

:p;):lol:

actually if I remember correctly, in a PM I got from the loon, he accused you viper mage and sighup of being my boyfriends

actually if I remember correctly, in a PM I got from the loon, he accused you viper mage and sighup of being my boyfriends

Wow, Happy. You are quite the popular girl. ;)^_^

Seriously, what is smoking? Must be good, if he feels it's making him present valid logical thoughts about this here HG/Gubaba/Happy/MEMO/"whatever kookieness he has left" conspiracy theories. :wacko:

Don't try to be a hero...just move along and nobody'll get hurt... :D

I got no love for HG. But Robotech had done a lot of good for the anime community as a whole.

For example, many of the anime fans who grew up with Robotech got into anime because of Robotech. And their kids will most likely get into anime. And their friends at school will, and it goes on and on. Robotech was a big part of the giant boom of Japanese animation in the late 80's and throughout the 90's. (Talking stateside).

So, how can someone who loves Macross and hates Robotech deal with the latter's existence?

The solution is simple. Robotech isn't going anywhere. Neither is Macross. You need to consider they are totally separate entities. It started AFTER Robotech aired, and became a success in the USA. Carl Macek sent out to make a movie for Robotech. Yes, I know it was Megazone 23. But the final product of Robotech the movie wasn't the original vision. Macek wasn't able to use his original idea for the Robotech Movie because Macross was coming out with a film of their own (Do You Remember Love), and they didn't want any confusion between the two series. In other words, the IP of Macross was to have a separate life, or continuity than Robotech (Which it already had before. But that gap was about to widen).

As of now, none of the original Macross TV show is canon in the modern Macross continuity. Every Macross sequel/spinoff preceding DYRL clearly follows events around DYRL-and they do not even acknowledge the existence of the TV show.

After DYRL, Macross went it's direction, Robotech went the other-even more so than before. There were already vast differences between them, but that is the true turning point in which the two sagas divorced.

What is difficult for me to grasp is Harmony Gold, who owns Robotech (and the US rights to the three original shows that made up Robotech). Their business ethics are shady, and they have prevented a true revival of Macross for US fans. Their obsession to control everything has only lead them astray from expanding and ever allowing Macross to become the household name it's destined to be. One example, I had talked to the owner of the Puzzle Zoo in Santa Monica one time, who had Yamato Valkyries for sale. He was bitching that HG told him to cease and disist. What would a local store possibly to do harm HG? Another example is the store Suncoast, which was going to sell Macross Plus Valkyries at one time, and HG boycotted that from happening. Which is only a portion of why my hatred for HG manifests.

And so, Macross is NOT a household name in the states. Even in Japan, it's no where near as popular as other intellectual properties in it's class. In fact, Macross is considered a nitch market. Sadly, even without the HG boycott in Japan, Macross is still not the common name it should be in popculture.

Sure, I know that will change with time. Macross has been going strong for 27 years now, and it's not going anywhere. I even think it's safe to say that even in this nich market, there are currently more Macross fans than Robotech fans. And still Robotech lives.

What do you do when you hate something but it won't go away? Just ignore it.

And enjoy your Macross.

It's all apples and oranges.

Edited by mospeadamacrosstech

Okay, this is so bonkers I just HAVE to share it.

It seems that Pizza the Hutt (or Ghost Maker, or whatever the hell he's calling himself now) got it into his head that the leaked outline of the "Shadow Saga" is a forgery constructed as part of a vast conspiracy to undermine and destroy the Robotech franchise from within, orchestrated by Tom Bateman and carried out by those Robotech fans who are opposed to Harmony Gold's handling of the franchise (P.A.H.G.'s?).

From the sound of things, he also believes that all the unpleasantness directed towards Kevin McKeever and MEMO, the rumors surrounding Robotech's involvement in MEMO's divorce (that he left his wife for a female RT fan, or that his wife left him because he emptied their bank account to fly HG company reps and VAs out to Chile for a con in hopes of landing a job at HG), the criticism directed towards Shadow Chronicles, and him being banned from RobotechX and (briefly) from Robotech.com are all part of this conspiracy too.

Apparently our man Pizza didn't stop at persecution complex crazy... he went all the way to tinfoil hat territory. And this guy wonders why I keep telling him to chill the hell out. I'll never understand why some Robotech fans are THAT unwilling to accept that there IS a lot wrong with Robotech, and that it's entirely possible for Harmony Gold to make a bad Robotech sequel.

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Why is this so surprising? It's actually not hard to believe. I could totally see Memo divorcing his wife for an RT fan and emptying his bank account to fly VAs and HG reps to Chile.

Why not?

Look - let's start from the basics here:

Many of these people like a show that is fake - from start to finish. They consider a screwy bootleg to be a great work of art.

If you start from THAT premise - then why would any other crazy sounding thing be that hard to believe?

So - I would tend to believe Pizza The Hut here. Yes - I am perfectly open to this theory. I am also perfectly open to the in-fighting theory and all of that.

It sounds perfectly in line with their MO up to this point.

As for conspiracy theories in general - I think most of them have merit. Conspiracies are just secretive actions planned by small groups of people... if you look at it that way, then the word doesn't sound like such a crazy concept.

The REAL problem with "conspiracy theories" is that some of them are nutts, others are more plausible. But "conspiracy" in and of itself is not something unheard of, and is actually fairly common amongst human beings - and not always something done with an evil goal, world domination or the destruction of the universe in mind..

Pete

The solution is simple. Robotech isn't going anywhere. Neither is Macross. You need to consider they are totally separate entities. It started AFTER Robotech aired, and became a success in the USA. Carl Macek sent out to make a movie for Robotech. Yes, I know it was Megazone 23. But the final product of Robotech the movie wasn't the original vision. Macek wasn't able to use his original idea for the Robotech Movie because Macross was coming out with a film of their own (Do You Remember Love), and they didn't want any confusion between the two series. In other words, the IP of Macross was to have a separate life, or continuity than Robotech (Which it already had before. But that gap was about to widen).

I disagree, there was probably no "original" version of anything Robotech. Carl Macek and HG wanted to bring Macross to the U.S. one way or another in the beginning, and have been greedy about it ever since. Whoever talks about it officially are very good with fluff. Robotech exists today because of greed, there's nothing noble about it. They don't care about the high regard fans still have about it, HG just wants your money for whatever they make that has the precious Robotech logo, regardless of quality.

Edited by Einherjar

I got no love for HG. But Robotech had done a lot of good for the anime community as a whole.

For example, many of the anime fans who grew up with Robotech got into anime because of Robotech. And their kids will most likely get into anime. And their friends at school will, and it goes on and on. Robotech was a big part of the giant boom of Japanese animation in the late 80's and throughout the 90's. (Talking stateside).

So, how can someone who loves Macross and hates Robotech deal with the latter's existence?

Um...DYRL was 1984. Robotech the Untold story was...'86? '87? Somewhere around there. But my point is tha DYRL was around before the Robotech TV series even started.

As of now, none of the original Macross TV show is canon in the modern Macross continuity. Every Macross sequel/spinoff preceding DYRL clearly follows events around DYRL-and they do not even acknowledge the existence of the TV show.

No. The TV show is the official canonical version (except in the Macross II timeline).

After DYRL, Macross went it's direction, Robotech went the other-even more so than before. There were already vast differences between them, but that is the true turning point in which the two sagas divorced.

You know that, and I know that...but tell it to the raging fanboys who slap RT songs onto Macross Zero and Frontier footage... :wacko:

And yes...HG has handled pretty much everything ineptly, and caused a lot of damage.

I'm translating Macross books right now...I'd love to publish them, but I'm sure no publisher would be able to sell them without giving a cut to HG, which would probably make Big West pull the plug on them. So how does "ignoring" RT help me? How does it help the manager of Puzzle Zoo? How does it help Suncoast?

These fans definitely need something to tide them over for a while, anything. People aren't even talking about anything new for the unresolved story multi-verse.

Then it us up to us, the Macross fans, to produce a new Robotech sequel for them, who here is proficient in flash animation? :)

Now there's a statement of questionable accuracy... would you like some Iraqi WMDs with that?

Robotech is, was, and always will be just another squirt in the crowd. It was one of the last major titles before bowdlerization became the very height of uncool. Yes, it was one of several "Americanized" titles that made anime accessible to western audiences back in the 80's, but it lacked the momentum to leave a lasting impact on either the industry or the audience, and it quickly lost its audience to Transformers and other shows when it failed not once but twice to produce a viable sequel.

It started AFTER Robotech aired, and became a success in the USA.

Macross got a foothold in the US despite (and in fact, because of) Harmony Gold's attempts to keep Robotech fans ignorant of the fact that the original form of its most popular saga was a far more successful franchise that had produced quite a few sequels. By blocking imports, they opened it up to legitimate and largely unopposed fansubbing, which followed on the heels of the introduction of "real" unedited anime in exposing fans to what they'd been missing out on because of Harmony Gold's greed, making Robotech slightly less socially acceptable in anime circles than a morbidly obese xenophobe with a chronic flatulence problem.

Carl Macek sent out to make a movie for Robotech. Yes, I know it was Megazone 23. But the final product of Robotech the movie wasn't the original vision.

Okay, the words "Robotech" and "original" are mutually exclusive, and should not be used in the same sentence.

Actually, the TV series is the canon version of SW1, they've just substituted some of the DYRL designs and events into it over the years. DYRL is currently only canon to the alternate universe continuity of Macross II: Lovers Again.

Let's be accurate here... Macross went off and did its own thing... Robotech went nowhere and did nothing, because it was preoccupied with floundered around in a morass of serial incompetence, idiocy, stagnation, and bad writing... laudable for its consistently poor quality if nothing else. It kept itself alive by re-selling the same story to the fans over and over again in different forms... novels, comic books, role-playing games... but never bothered to produce anything new. Even the comics that branch out from the main story often stole stories from whatever anime or live action sci-fi/action series was popular that month.

What is difficult for me to grasp is Harmony Gold, who owns Robotech (and the US rights to the three original shows that made up Robotech). Their business ethics are shady, and they have prevented a true revival of Macross for US fans.

Hasn't stopped anything... it's just made our hobby essentially free of cost.

I don't know how many anime boards you visit, but Macross Frontier was part of that hat trick of must-have mecha fansubs that had mecha anime enthusiasts waiting for bated breath and attracted a half-dozen or more different fansub groups. If you ask for a list of must-see mecha anime on most of those boards, you'll find the original Macross and/or DYRL on it at the very least (and usually one or more of the later ones too).

And so, Macross is NOT a household name in the states. Even in Japan, it's no where near as popular as other intellectual properties in it's class. In fact, Macross is considered a nitch market. Sadly, even without the HG boycott in Japan, Macross is still not the common name it should be in popculture.

Eh... not keeping up with recent events either, like Macross Frontier breaking some DVD/Blu-Ray sales records at Bandai, the big concerts, and the various other indicators that Macross Frontier is flying under no radars and is doing quite well for itself. If memory serves, there were several volumes of Macross Frontier that sold better than many of its contemporaries in DVD form.

Sure, I know that will change with time. Macross has been going strong for 27 years now, and it's not going anywhere. I even think it's safe to say that even in this nich market, there are currently more Macross fans than Robotech fans. And still Robotech lives.

It's a stretch to say Robotech lives... it depends largely what you call "life" at that point. Robotech is, at best, in a coma... one which has remained unbroken for a good 20 years. One more good, solid failure, like the loss of the live-action movie or the final cancellation of Robotech's animated features would be enough to put Robotech out of its misery, and Harmony Gold knows it.

And enjoy your Macross.

It's all apples and oranges.

To be precise, it's more like apples (Macross) and pieces of inedible wax painted up to look vaguely like apples in hopes that the audience is gullible enough not to notice the difference (Robotech).

They explicitly acknowledge the TV show.

In episode 1 of Macross 7, when Exedol wonders aloud whether Basara is trying to mimic the Lyn Minmey attack, the bridge bunnies have the following dialogue:

BB1: Who's that?

BB2: You didn't see the movie Do You Remember Love?

This explicitly acknowledges that the TV show is cannon while DYRL is just a movie that is shown "in universe" - kind of like Birdman is a movie about Macross Zero shown in Macross Frontier (although we don't get to see the whole thing).

The fact that the character and mecha designs more closely resemble DYRL is a factor of the beauty of the animated form of story telling. Ultimately - artistic interpretation has a LOT of leeway.

And can you blame Kawamori for wanting to use the more realistic and well animated designs of DYRL - which, especially Mecha wise - aren't actually that different from SDFM TV - but are just "cleaner" in terms of more closely reflecting line art.

More accurately, the prevelence of DYRL styled designs shows that they were indeed more recent in canon history. There would obviously be more things left over from 2031 era than 2010 era.

Wow, Happy. You are quite the popular girl. ;)^_^

Seriously, what is smoking? Must be good, if he feels it's making him present valid logical thoughts about this here HG/Gubaba/Happy/MEMO/"whatever kookieness he has left" conspiracy theories. :wacko:

She has to be smoking something pretty powerful to have an affair with me... There hasn't been a volunteer for that in many years. XD

She has to be smoking something pretty powerful to have an affair with me... There hasn't been a volunteer for that in many years. XD

Smoking Protoculture i see. :p I was once a volunteer and boy was it awkward after that stuff wore off. :D

Since we're on the topic of sex...

Question: Why won't Harmony Gold DARE send a Cease and Decist order to the producers of the Robotech Thruster?

Answer: Because then their own fanbase would rise up against them, since Robotech fans most likely are the main consumers of the Robotech Thruster.

What is Pete talking about?

Behold: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Robotech-Th...ice-55398.shtml

I dare Harmony Gold to go after these guys!

Pete

Question: Why won't Harmony Gold DARE send a Cease and Decist order to the producers of the Robotech Thruster?

Answer: Because then their own fanbase would rise up against them, since Robotech fans most likely are the main consumers of the Robotech Thruster.

Pete

That would be hilarious ^_^

Now there's a statement of questionable accuracy... would you like some Iraqi WMDs with that?

...making Robotech slightly less socially acceptable in anime circles than a morbidly obese xenophobe with a chronic flatulence problem.

To be precise, it's more like apples (Macross) and pieces of inedible wax painted up to look vaguely like apples in hopes that the audience is gullible enough not to notice the difference (Robotech).

I just spilled my coffee laughing, thanks, that made my evening :lol: .

Insults to make Blackadder proud, speaking of which, Robotech always reminds me of this sketch. Just replace Percy in your mind with Carl Macek:

Blackadder: This place smells worse than a pair of armored trousers after the Hundred Year War. Baldrick! Have you been eating dung again?

Percy: My Lord! I have waited on your return!

Blackadder: And thank God you did, Percy, for I was just thinking to myself, "My God, I die in 12 hours, what I really need now is a hug from a complete prat."

Percy: After literally an hour's ceaseless searching, I have succeeded in creating gold, pure gold.

Blackadder: Are you sure?

Percy: Yes, my lord. Behold.

Blackadder: Percy... it's green.

Percy: That's right, my lord.

Blackadder: Yes, Percy, I don't want to be pedantic or anything, but the colour of gold is gold. That's why it's called gold. What you have discovered, if it has a name, is "green".

Percy: Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

Blackadder: Indeed you do, Percy, except, of course, it's not really a nugget, it's more of a splat.

Percy: Well, yes, a splat today... but tomorrow - who knows, or dares to dream?

Blackadder: So we three alone in all the world can produce the finest green at will?

Percy: Just so. [leans in] Not sure about counting in Baldrick, actually.

Blackadder: Of course, you know what your great discovery means, don't you?

Percy: Perhaps, my Lord!

Blackadder: That you, Percy, Lord Percy, are an utter berk.

I just spilled my coffee laughing, thanks, that made my evening :lol: .

Insults to make Blackadder proud, speaking of which, Robotech always reminds me of this sketch. Just replace Percy in your mind with Carl Macek:

Blackadder: This place smells worse than a pair of armored trousers after the Hundred Year War. Baldrick! Have you been eating dung again?

Percy: My Lord! I have waited on your return!

Blackadder: And thank God you did, Percy, for I was just thinking to myself, "My God, I die in 12 hours, what I really need now is a hug from a complete prat."

Percy: After literally an hour's ceaseless searching, I have succeeded in creating gold, pure gold.

Blackadder: Are you sure?

Percy: Yes, my lord. Behold.

Blackadder: Percy... it's green.

Percy: That's right, my lord.

Blackadder: Yes, Percy, I don't want to be pedantic or anything, but the colour of gold is gold. That's why it's called gold. What you have discovered, if it has a name, is "green".

Percy: Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

Blackadder: Indeed you do, Percy, except, of course, it's not really a nugget, it's more of a splat.

Percy: Well, yes, a splat today... but tomorrow - who knows, or dares to dream?

Blackadder: So we three alone in all the world can produce the finest green at will?

Percy: Just so. [leans in] Not sure about counting in Baldrick, actually.

Blackadder: Of course, you know what your great discovery means, don't you?

Percy: Perhaps, my Lord!

Blackadder: That you, Percy, Lord Percy, are an utter berk.

I prefer the simpler ones - (see my sig) - as well as when Blackadder is going to sack Baldrick

Baldrick: But sir, I have been part of your family for three generations.

Blackadder: So has syphillis.

Taksraven

Okay, this is so bonkers I just HAVE to share it.

It seems that Pizza the Hutt (or Ghost Maker, or whatever the hell he's calling himself now) got it into his head that the leaked outline of the "Shadow Saga" is a forgery constructed as part of a vast conspiracy to undermine and destroy the Robotech franchise from within, orchestrated by Tom Bateman and carried out by those Robotech fans who are opposed to Harmony Gold's handling of the franchise (P.A.H.G.'s?).

From the sound of things, he also believes that all the unpleasantness directed towards Kevin McKeever and MEMO, the rumors surrounding Robotech's involvement in MEMO's divorce (that he left his wife for a female RT fan, or that his wife left him because he emptied their bank account to fly HG company reps and VAs out to Chile for a con in hopes of landing a job at HG), the criticism directed towards Shadow Chronicles, and him being banned from RobotechX and (briefly) from Robotech.com are all part of this conspiracy too.

Apparently our man Pizza didn't stop at persecution complex crazy... he went all the way to tinfoil hat territory. And this guy wonders why I keep telling him to chill the hell out. I'll never understand why some Robotech fans are THAT unwilling to accept that there IS a lot wrong with Robotech, and that it's entirely possible for Harmony Gold to make a bad Robotech sequel.

So many things to point out here, so I'll take em one by one. First paragraph simply seems what most RT elitist want to believe. Hell, if I read something that bad about a future Macross story, I'd be in a sense of disbelief myself. Nevertheless, it seems that PTH talks a lot to Memo, and it must be Memo who gave him that idea of some sort of conspiracy theory. Tom Bateman is a friend of mine, and I know for a fact that he could careless about what happens to the future of Robotech. Tom has much bigger plans than to orchestrate some feable attempt at undermining Shadow Rising by putting out Tommy's idea for it. It's the people who know much that know the truth, and Memo may just be trying to steer people clear of valid leaked info.

For paragraph 2, I'm not going to dive into the gossip section here, but over 90% of that isn't conspiracy, it's fact. Nuff said

For paragraph 3, is it any surprise that RT fans get this caught up? Here's a guy who doesn't know fact from fiction, and is only going off hearsay from just a couple people he really doesn't even know. It becomes a real problem when people throw in fiction with their everyday life, and now, it seems, he is being absorbed into a sea of paranoia. Perhaps, instead of white lines on a small mirror, he should be lighting up the spliff and chill.

Oh, and Happy Penguins, PTH just seems to be jealous cause he's deprived. What's the saying...Once you go Macross, you never go back??? :lol:

Holy crap, that's all.

Well, there's a lot to what was said in that 2nd paragraph. There's a lot more to the various issues, but the fact is, the end results are still there. Whatever isn't verifiable truth (which strangely, isn't a whole lot) is definitely high probable speculation to be true. In anycase, I don't know how PTH started to talk about those issues between Kevin and Memo and all, but if I were Memo, I'd be quite pissed to hear one of my lap dogs bringing up my business. Then again, the price of leadership is eternal vigilance... wait, i misquoted that Robotech line. Damnit!!! LOL

Regret what, Seto? Your absolutely right people should forget worrying if their government has ever lied about crashed UFOs, assianating Kennedy in broad daylight, or going to war with nations solely for materieal gain. Issues like who created and owns the rights to an entertaining 1980s cartoon is so much more important.

Pete

Answer: The guys at HG would never consider sueing over their favorite toys borrowing the Robotech name.

Edited by Freiflug88

That must be what they call a Veritech.

What is this Veritech everyone keeps talking about? Everyone says its some sort of jet, but its no where to be found on my Official Aircraft Identification Chart: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2510/th...ygovernment.jpg.

Whatever this Veritech is it sounds pretty gay, especially after riding with sexy Valkayries to Valhalla. Too bad the one way flight tickets were ridiculously expensive though.