Beagle Mospeada VR-52F Repair

UN_MARINE

i just got this thing & i noticed a few things that needed improvement.

so i went & improved them. here's how.

DISCLAIMER:

these repairs/mods need a fairly high amount of precision & patience.

results may vary, and/or probably be disastrous. proceed at your own risk. be very very careful.

TOOLS:

1 tube of CA glue, preferably with a very small nozzle.

1 Gundam Marker, Red GM07/200

here we go...

the operation is pretty straightforward & doesn't require any extreme dis-assembly.

1.Paint: i used the Gundam marker to cover up the white spots & peeled sections.

the color matches up pretty well, i'm not sure if there's an equivalent color for the Ley type.

before

post-2535-1256231725_thumb.jpg

after

post-2535-1256231809_thumb.jpg

2.CA glue: i used the CA glue to tighten parts that were loose, don't lock together properly or pop off.

the black arrows show where i applied the glue & the red spots show the parts that needed to be built-up/thickened w/ glue.

the end result is a positive lock for the parts that snap into place & overall tightening of floppy parts & the ones that lock together w/ pegs.

Chest armor/Bike hood

post-2535-1256231972_thumb.jpg

the peg on the right side wasn't holding the left side tight enough, so i widened the peg's diameter by a fraction of a hair. then i built-up/extended the pegs to the scope storage covers.

Armor gauntlets/forearm

post-2535-1256232927_thumb.jpgpost-2535-1256233179_thumb.jpg

the peg & sockets needed to be raised by about 0.1-0.2mm. each side had a different gap, i applied the glue little by little until the peg & sockets locked together properly.

post-2535-1256233426_thumb.jpg

i built-up a peg so the part that goes on top now snaps into place & doesn't come off when you remove the armor.

Side armor

post-2535-1256234187_thumb.jpg

these kept popping off a little too easily for my taste, so i thickened the tabs for extra "grip"

Hip armor

post-2535-1256234689_thumb.jpgpost-2535-1256235461_thumb.jpg

one side was really loose. i thickened the socket/clips 1 at a time & adjusted to the tightness i wanted.

Windshield assembly

post-2535-1256237190_thumb.jpg

this area was ridiculously floppy, i put a little glue between the gray swing bar & the pivot point, and i thickened the pegs that hold the windshield. the trick is to apply the glue, then keep rotating the part until the glue hardens.

you'll feel the area tighten as the glue sets, but don't stop until it does or the parts will bind together.

post-2535-1256237422_thumb.jpg

i also put tiny beads of glue on the tabs that lock w/ the hood. really tiny beads, about 0.1-0.2mm in diameter & height.

Scope

post-2535-1256237891_thumb.jpg

pretty much the same kind of operation as the windshield assembly, plus a tiny bead of glue to hold the pin in place.

i would've done something about the loose tail section too, but i couldn't get the plug on top to budge.

that's about it. i hope this post has been helpful :)

PS: i thought it needed a thread of its own. please relocate/merge if necessary. :)

thanks ^_^

i was compelled to do it after the gauntlet parts started flopping around in bike mode.

i thought about chroming the gray parts too, but the way the whole thing's put together keeps it from being disassembled :( the plugs that cover the screws are either jammed in really tight, or they're glued in.

there are actually a lot more areas that can be improved if i could just get to the screws. but for now, the parts covering them don't want to budge.

You've got some nice fixes goin on there Marine. I didn't spot color the arms like you, but I did color the the crotch area and down, black with permanent marker, gives it more of the anime look.

I know what you guys mean about the screw covers, they are glued in. If you have the proper tools, alot of patience, and aren't afraid to scratch and break pieces( come on its only a $250 toy ) you can get them to pop out. I have one of mine totally disassembled, of course some parts I wasn't even worried about since I'm gonna mod it into a Blowsuperior. Hopefully! I don't have much experience with modding something like this, and at the pace I'm goin, it'll be finished in the year 2011!

Spedfish, let's see some pics of your mods...

I'm gonna go for the blowsuperior custom also. Though it's gonna be awhile for me to begin on it. Got some other projects in the way. It's too bad a Fuke mod is almost impossible.

I'm gonna go for the blowsuperior custom also. Though it's gonna be awhile for me to begin on it. Got some other projects in the way. It's too bad a Fuke mod is almost impossible.

you too? we're in for it now, aren't we? :)

anybody planning on modding an updated Mospeada like the one in the art book cover?

When I get a chance I'll post some pics of what I've got goin on. I was gonna do the Fuke, but I figured, just in case Toynami would by some chance, get their hands on it and decide to put it out, I'd go with Blowsuperior. The thing that sucks about a Fuke mod, is the fact you also have to make all new armor for the figure itself, can be done, but still sucks. Like I say, I'll post pics here or in the Mospeada thread, maybe you guys will have some tips or advice. The only thing I've done much of a mod to is the Fuke cyclone in my avatar, based of an Imai kit, but its not transformable.

I've recently acquired a Toynami version of Beagle's VR-52F and found myself underwhelmed by how insubstantial it feels in your hands... specially the bike; and it does suffer from some floppy and/or loose fitting parts. However, I don't have the cujones to risk ruining a $160+ toy in an attempt to fix things that shouldn't need tweaking on a toy of this price point. You guys are far braver (crazier?) than me when it comes to this sort of stuff.

All of this talk about modding the MOSPEADA type into a BLOWSPERIOR or a FUKE type makes me dizzy and causes me to beg the question: Won't Beagle continue the series and produce the other two Ride Armor types eventually? Or are the CM's 1/18 versions the only way to get a straight-out-of-the-box full-transformation set of all the bikes shown in the series?

All of this talk about modding the MOSPEADA type into a BLOWSPERIOR or a FUKE type makes me dizzy and causes me to beg the question: Won't Beagle continue the series and produce the other two Ride Armor types eventually? Or are the CM's 1/18 versions the only way to get a straight-out-of-the-box full-transformation set of all the bikes shown in the series?

I believe its all but official that the Beagle Mospeada line is dead. Yeah, the only way to have a complete bike set is with the CM line. I wish Beagle would finish the line, definitely save me alot of time and frustration :lol:

you too? we're in for it now, aren't we? :)

anybody planning on modding an updated Mospeada like the one in the art book cover?

That is something that I would LOVE to see. Really love those new designs.

That is something that I would LOVE to see. Really love those new designs.

i took another look at the design & compared it to the Beagle...

that's gonna be one hell of a mod! the differences are huge, i wouldn't be surprised if somebody started from scratch.

i wish i had another Mospeada to mess with... :)

I believe its all but official that the Beagle Mospeada line is dead. Yeah, the only way to have a complete bike set is with the CM line. I wish Beagle would finish the line, definitely save me alot of time and frustration :lol:

If that is true it's a shame. Aside from the general feeling of flimsiness of the bike, Beagle's overall design and execution are very impressive... not $155.50 shipped impressive, but a worthy addition to anyone's collection nevertheless. And in the case Beagle/Toynami are out of the game, I wish you success in your endeavor to create the other Ride Armor(s).

And make sure to post progress pictures...

Cheers!