Manly Tears of Sadness

Ghost Train

Not anime, but Science Fiction, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

When Jake died the second time, saving the writer from the blue minivan. I hope someone else here read that series through.

When Jake died the second time, saving the writer from the blue minivan. I hope someone else here read that series through.

Read that series, BIG fan. :) It's so much sadder because Roland couldn't get back in time before jake died, because he was too busy hypnotizing King and the driver. tough!

Edited by dreamweaver13

I must admit that Elfen Lied had me a little misty eyed in several episodes... and sickened, shocked, disturbed, intrigued, and left wanting more. One of the best animes I've ever watched. :o

Another good emotions tug-ger was Witchblade... the end was quite melancholy.

For Sci-Fi movies, one of the only ones I can remember getting me teary eyed was Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan: Spock's death and Kirk's eulogy, even taking into consideration Shatner's acting style, really pulled at the heart strings. :(

I'm about 1/2 way through the series, I finished Wizard and Glass last week. Started reading the series in 2004, but then read the spoiler to the last book, and was like "Omgwtf I'm not gonna read the rest." Recently, I have decided to finish reading the series after all.

I'm glad some people here cry to the same things I cry to... But I think I probably cry more than anybody else, because most folks, even if they mention a series that has also made me cry, seem to always mention a specific episode or moment in the series.

Me... I cry practically every couple of minutes when I'm watching something I like.

I cried through Gurren Lagann from start to finish. The series is just so emotional that it's impossible not to cry - sometimes those are tears of joy, sometimes tears of sadness, usually a mixture of the two, because the series was about exactly that - it didn't shy away from Despair - the sadest of sad depths of despair... and then, in the very depths of that despair, it managed to pull you up to something amazing. That amazing thing would not have been possible if Gurren Lagann didn't immerse you in despair as well. Every episode has scenes worthy of tears. It is, after all, the greatest work of art, philosophy, story telling, animation, and music ever created in the history not just of the human race, but of the entire universe.

As for other anime that made me cry... well... Gundam never made me cry. I'm usually either entertained, or bored out of my whits. It's like a chess game, Gundam is. Sometimes you marvel at the strategic turn of events and all the movements building on one another, and sometimes you just find yourself bored out of your whits. If only Turn-A-Gundam didn't have so many bad episodes intersperced with good ones which really ruin the pacing, I'm sure I'd cry more - but as things stand, an episode of Turn-A is usually composed of portions which (by themselves) are amazing and then get ruined by something pathetic happening a few seconds later. The bad pacing really destroys the emotional impact - not like Gurren Lagann, which has perfect pacing that just swells your emotions.

Macross - you know... I don't really cry to Macross. I actually am totally like Hikaru Ichijo when it comes to Macross -I'm just a blank slate, an observer of other people's emotions. Although maybe that's a bad comparisson because Hikaru does get mad or sentimental sometimes, but that's pretty much the range of his dramatic persona: righteous indignation, confusion, or inexperienced attraction to women. I love Macross, but it doesn't make me cry. Macross sometimes makes me feel uplifted (like episode 12 of MF, when Ranka flies in and sings that song...I almost feel my eyes turning into little hearts and popping out of their sockets just before I fall over love struck)...

Hm...what else?

Transformers puts me to sleep. Sometimes I cry over how craptastically bad the franchise had become. Does that count?

Neon Genesis Evangelion doesn't make me cry- it makes me think. It's such a great great series to think about. There is sooo much philosophy behind it that it's crazy and I just love to watch it as pure sci-fi.

Ideon - now this series ges a strange reaction out of me. Namely - I would call it attempted emotion. I dunno. I'm sadly coming to the conclusion that I just don't like the famous Tomino at all :o

Ideon should be very moving - it certainly tries to be - but it's a tad bit forced, like all of Tomino's works that I've seen to date. There's just something not quite right - hard to put my finger on it. In Turn-A it was the pacing, in MSG it was the sour character archetypes and the maddening about face in the story which transformed from a Real Robot strategic adventure into a space opera with super-evolved psychonic humans without so much as a proper smooth transition... I'm curious how the new Unicorn will come out - I really want to like Tomino's work, but so far the only good thing I can say about him is that he's prolific.

Haruhi Suzumiya.

Hard to cry over this one. More than anything it makes me warm inside and makes me laugh. Even when there are dangerous scenes or dramatic moments, it's just impossible not to laugh.... so - bad candidate for tears....

Last on the list?

Terminator 4.

Me and my dumped-for-two-lolis-who-will-dress-up-as-Tohsaka-Rhin-and-some-chick-from-Death-Note-But-Still-Talking-To-me-and-on-friendly-terms-girlfriend and I both cried while watching Terminator 4.

I also cry when watching Star Wars usually. Particularly at critical points concerning Anikin Skywalker. But it's not like whailing gnashing crying...it's just...more like whelling crying...minor distinction maybe but there it is...

Think, think, think... hm...

I think that's pretty much it.

Pete

I don't cry, but 'Persepolis', 'The Iron Giant' and 'Watership Down' kinda get to me. 'Animal Farm' and 'Plague Dogs' too to a lesser extent. But they're not really Anime/Sci-fi...

Suprised E.T. hasn't been mentioned yet tho :p

Edited by Tober

I also cry when watching Star Wars usually. Particularly at critical points concerning Anikin Skywalker. But it's not like whailing gnashing crying...it's just...more like whelling crying...minor distinction maybe but there it is...

I have to admit here,that I did shed a tear in the starwars films,such as darth vaders funeral as luke watches alone,that was a strong scene when i first saw that. And even tho the prequels dont live up to the granduer of the original trilogy,three scenes in the prequels made me well up and i have ot give it to george on this one,they were, Ep I. qui-gon's funeral (I really took a liking to qui-gon,so much i call liam neeson qui-gon now lol), Ep III. Anikian in the jedi council room alone thinking what he is going to do while mace confronts palp's,the music and the sunset over the city while anikans thoughts of going aginst his orders was well done, and Ep.III when anikian kills the seperatist leaders,he yells an angusihed cry like he doesnt want to do what he is doing but forces himself to do it in the false hope of saving padme, actually the whole scene where he chokes padme and obi and him have the pre-duel talk is probably the best scene in the film.

A few scenes really get to me:

Field of Dreams : Ray meets his father

No News from the Western Front(original version): Butterfly...

Plague Dogs: Swim to the non existant island. As dark as animation gets.

Air: Goal.

Clannad AS: Cornfield

Grave of the Fire Flies: Death of Setsuko

Greatest ending to an Animation, Ever.

I would say there have been a few rather than just this one

Im rewatching Escaflowne which to me has an excellent ending Tears on the brink but the manly in me did nt allow it but the romantic in me wanted to ball my eyes out

Evangelion albeit a little weird but nonetheless good

Macross Plus OVA- best ending song

Karas - when the demons eviscerates the powerless karas that gets reborn

BM ending when Optimas Primal and Megatron die and reformat Cybertron

Death Note has to have the best micro endings and ending. First when L dies and then when Kira realizes the game is over

and turns homicidal and is shot and running along the docks knowing his time has come. Pure Awesome which reminds me its one of

those OVA i must own on dvd.

And Final Fantasy the movie release CGA the last sarcrifice

Edited by nugundamII

Are you all hearltess?

Spock's funeral is Wrath of Khan.. bagpipes.. amazing grace.. gets me every time.

also.. the end of LOTR Return of the King... (well one of the endings), where at the top of Minas Tirith, where the new kings comes to the hobbits and they bow their heads..

Aragorn:

"My friends... You bow to no one."

Aragorn kneels before them, bowing his head. The crowd follows.. at this point, i am blubbering mess.

ok, and maybe the end of Eureka 7 too.

1) The Outer Limits: Tribunal (1995)

Here is a clip of the final scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-csH7Jlfc

Wow, that is a good one.

Those shows--the originals and the newer versions--are pretty good examples of sci-fi's loftiest ideals, i.e. providing a vehicle for social commentary that may be considered off limits or politically incorrect in more contemporary TV/movie genres.

This thread inspired me to re-watch Braveheart last night, because I love the movie and it always made me cry.

Well - I got stuck with the "watched this too many times" syndrome and started looking at all the details... and I noticed some things that I shouldn't have...

1. First - I guess it's a testimony to realism or something, but it still just looks hilarious. After the first big battle with the English, when Mel Gibson is roaring like a lion and we pan to his followers roaring back, you can see a bunch of wounded guys gasping, and suffering at their feet - and they aren't English soldiers. This is just funny because it totally deflates the "we won!" elation of the scene...because there are all these guys with no legs and arms lying around... I found it funny anyways...

2. When Mel Gibson is being carted in to get torchered, when he passes the stone gate entrance...I swear to God the gate has the words "SET 1 PRODUCTION" or something like that spray painted in yellow on it. It's like somebody marked the props and the camera man and everybody forgot about it :) How hilarious! :) I could be wrong - but there was something scrawled in yellow there and that's the impression I got...

Err..

Anyways - needless to say I wasn't crying this time around :)

Although it's still a good movie.

But not anime.

Pete

This thread inspired me to re-watch Braveheart last night, because I love the movie and it always made me cry.

Well - I got stuck with the "watched this too many times" syndrome and started looking at all the details... and I noticed some things that I shouldn't have...

1. First - I guess it's a testimony to realism or something, but it still just looks hilarious. After the first big battle with the English, when Mel Gibson is roaring like a lion and we pan to his followers roaring back, you can see a bunch of wounded guys gasping, and suffering at their feet - and they aren't English soldiers. This is just funny because it totally deflates the "we won!" elation of the scene...because there are all these guys with no legs and arms lying around... I found it funny anyways...

2. When Mel Gibson is being carted in to get torchered, when he passes the stone gate entrance...I swear to God the gate has the words "SET 1 PRODUCTION" or something like that spray painted in yellow on it. It's like somebody marked the props and the camera man and everybody forgot about it :) How hilarious! :) I could be wrong - but there was something scrawled in yellow there and that's the impression I got...

Err..

Anyways - needless to say I wasn't crying this time around :)

Although it's still a good movie.

But not anime.

Pete

also make sure you watch when he rams through the house with the horse

When the horse falls to the falls you notice its a fake. When the horse or Fake Horse hits the water you notice is stuck in a gallop pose and floats on the water in the same position

Kinda funny

OF topic i know i also noticed in T2 when arni has his arm stuck in the gears he has his real arm tucked in behind him and you see it under his jacket in a sling. But with marvels in computer tech theses days you just brush things out like that.

IM suprised nobody said anything about that movie (Mission to Mars)

Lots of crying seens

When the guys takes off his helmet to save his wife

When they meet the aliens and the alien is crying about their homeworld destroyed

When the Protagonist decides he is going to go their homeworld and revisions his past with his dead wife all tear jerking (lack of a better word!) moments

I love that film

Braveheart just doesn't do it for me anymore... too cliche, and after we found out about "the real" Mel Gibson it really diminishes his previous work... er, ok, almost went into MWF No-Fly-Zone there :) .

I would also like to add the multitude of Fate Stay Night endings to my list.

1) Manly tears of sadness where shed when Saber just vanishes after the "there is just one thing left to say... I love you" line, and then she goes back to her time to die.

2) Epic tears of awesomeness, when at end of UBW, when G-archer has a heartfelt conversation with Rin, and we briefly see Emiya as archer.

3) Manly tears of happiness were shed in the Realta Nua final final final ending when Shirou wakes up in what seems to be the afterlife and finds Saber waiting for him

Edited by Ghost Train

I'm about 1/2 way through the series, I finished Wizard and Glass last week. Started reading the series in 2004, but then read the spoiler to the last book, and was like "Omgwtf I'm not gonna read the rest." Recently, I have decided to finish reading the series after all.

Sorry about spoiling it for you, I seriously avoided all info about the series when I started reading it, so it wouldn't be spoiled. All 7 books were awesome, and #7 was masterful. Even King warns you, right at the beginning of the last chapter, not to read it if you are happy with the ending at hand, and not to send him angry letters about the ending, which I thought was great, because after reading it, that it exactly what I wanted to do.

Game - Lufia II most heart breaking ending ever in a game

Dude! DUDE! I was so going to say that! Although I can't remember if it was Lufia or Lufia II? Which was the one where

the heroine lost all of her memories and didn't even remember the hero?

"I'm not crying, you're crying. I don't cry. I work out, I have hobbies, I don't cry." - Ben Stiller

Graveyard of the Fireflies really messed with my head. Someone thought it would be a good idea to watch it at a house party full of drunken hooligans, By the end of the movie, all was quiet and everyone was very, very sober.

Mibu Gishi Den (English title - When the last sword is drawn) will make you cry. Some of the hardest, baddest dudes I know were reduced to a small white cube when they watched this movie.

Yeah, you guys should have seen it, a bunch of tattooed, toothless brawlers who are used to punching each other out for fun all wept as if they were a 5 year old girl, in a pink frilly dresses on an Easter Sunday picnic. It was gold.

Yeah, you guys should have seen it, a bunch of tattooed, toothless brawlers who are used to punching each other out for fun all wept as if they were a 5 year old girl, in a pink frilly dresses on an Easter Sunday picnic. It was gold.

Truly something that should have been caught on video and posted online. :lol:

Now I know what to do if ever there's gonna be a bar fight somewhere...