Risa or Haruhiko?

Kronnang Dunn

Risa or Haruhiko?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which character design do you prefer?

• Risa Ebata's Character Design
    • Haruhiko Mikimoto's Character Design

I'm with Haruhiko Mikimoto's designs all the way. It is not the same as it was before, but still looks excellent, fluid and up to date. Risa Ebata's art looks more cold and "plastic" to me... And too many artists already have her style these days... B))

Edited by azrael
Learn to spell

Haruhiko Mikimoto. His style is easily recognised and he has defined the way Macross characters look. Along with a few others he dominated anime character design in the 80s.

Risa Ebata is a relative new commer with only handfull of projects to her name (Gavion Zwei, Macross F, Prism Ark and some adult games, info from her wiki page) . Her style is ok, but does not stand out among other current anime. She is also held staff positons like animation director and is not only a designer/illustrator.

Edited by Bri

Haruhiko of course. But this is like comparing apples and oranges.

Ebata does some very nice stuff as well despite her eroge background (cough NANASE....cough thigh high stocking fetish).

I'm with Haruhiko Mikimoto's designs all the way. It is not the same as it was before, but still looks excellent, fluid and up to date. Risa Ebata's art looks more cold and "plastic" to me... And too many artists already have her style these days... B))

This is, I think, a really unfair comparison. Mikimoto is one of the truly classic character designers, whereas Risa Ebata is fairly new and nowhere near as distinguished.

What's next...a comparsion between Yoshitaka Amano vs. the character designs from, say, K-On?

This is, I think, a really unfair comparison. Mikimoto is one of the truly classic character designers, whereas Risa Ebata is fairly new and nowhere near as distinguished.
Couldn't have said it any better. Mikimoto is winning, pretty much, in a landslide...I do like Ebata's style...too early to make the comparison, though...

I'm gonna have to agree. Risa only has.....4..5 years. Mikimoto...coming up on 30 years in the business. Hell, we're talking about a generational gap here.

Mikimoto's is amazing imo. I'm not sure what he uses to color, but it reminds me of watercolors & I'm a sucker for well done watercolor.

He uses watercolours over lightly traced pencils photocopied from not-so-lightly traced sketches. Or at least, he used to. He's been into digital colouring lately - as far as I remember, the Max and Millia boxart for the limited edition Hasegawa Virgin Road VF-1D was one of his first digital pieces, but don't quote me on this.

Obviously, Mikimoto for me. I really like Ebata's designs, but that might be because I'm attached to the characters themselves; they are close to the standard style of this days. But then again, Mikimoto's own designs back in 82 weren't that much different from the standard style back then either, and after that he has been much more of an illustrator than a character designer, which allowed his own style to develop in any way he wanted (not unlike Amano). Who knows, maybe 20 years down the road ms Ebata will have given us a couple of very nice surprises.

That said, after seen his drawing of Sara and Mao Nome, I would love to see Mikimoto's take on the Frontier cast, and Ebata's take on the SDF cast just for the kicks. And although I hate Masayuki designs for Macross Plus with a passion, I gotta admit I have no idea how Mikimoto's style would have fit there had he done the designs for a dark story like Plus instead of the preliminary designs for 7. It worked for War in the Pocket, but Plus is just too far away from that for comfort.

He uses watercolours over lightly traced pencils photocopied from not-so-lightly traced sketches. Or at least, he used to. He's been into digital colouring lately - as far as I remember, the Max and Millia boxart for the limited edition Hasegawa Virgin Road VF-1D was one of his first digital pieces, but don't quote me on this.

Indeed. According to the Mikimoto interview in Macross Ace issue 1, "Macross the First" is being ENTIRELY done on computer.

Mikimoto Sensei will always be my preferred artist/designer.

However, I hope he could improve in the following three areas:

1. Some of his recent designs are waaay too similar. In fact, the Minmay in Macross the First looks like Asuna Elmarit (adult version) or Sophia Ferrell from Ecole du Ciel. :huh:

2. From time to time, Mikimoto-San will produce a piece of artwork that's below his normal standard of quality. Case in point: the Minmay (AI WA NAGARERU) promo card from the Macross CCG that's bundled in Macross ACE 2.

3. The lack of feminine Buxom main cast. Most of the full-figured females are borderline butch. Veffidas Feaze and pirate Captain Marie from Ecole du Ciel come to mind.

Edited by nanoplasm

Obviously, Mikimoto for me. I really like Ebata's designs, but that might be because I'm attached to the characters themselves; they are close to the standard style of this days. But then again, Mikimoto's own designs back in 82 weren't that much different from the standard style back then either, and after that he has been much more of an illustrator than a character designer, which allowed his own style to develop in any way he wanted (not unlike Amano). Who knows, maybe 20 years down the road ms Ebata will have given us a couple of very nice surprises.

I'll say it up front: I'm not a big fan of Mikimoto's character designs. I love his watercolor illustrations, but the designs behind them have never really been one of my favorite parts of a show. Maybe some is that I started Macross with Plus and didn't see the original until I was already in my twenties and well-familiar with anime, so isn't a fresh or novel old memory. And like Lindem Herz said, to me the character designs don't really look to stand out from their era any more than Frontier's do now. Similarly, I like Ebata's designs quite a lot, but it might be fresh attachment to the characters too, and there are some aspects I like less than others.. I haven't voted yet, but I'm leaning her way just since she grabs me more at the moment. Still, I agree with what others have said in that it's not fair to ask this until some more time has passed.

It's not easy to find any background information on the styles and artists that have influenced the character designers that have worked on Macross. So it's a bit hard to compare them on anything but their track records and personal taste. Even with his long carreer I have no idea how important Mikimoto has been for other designers. Famous and influential are not neccesarily the same.

Wonder if character designers base their designs on styles by contemporary works by mangaka or truly create their own. Characters designers often have a back ground in graphic design and often work as staff in anime production companies. They are rarely established manga artists themselves so I don't know if we can compare them in the way we would compare say manga or comic book artists.

It's not easy to find any background information on the styles and artists that have influenced the character designers that have worked on Macross.

For Hal it's easy: Yas.

By the way, I voted Mikimoto because I always loved his art, but I think Ebata is very talented. It's just that in MF her work has been a bit undertoned by the animated. Besides, you should have started this thread a dozen of years from now, when Ebata will have done more works and had the chance to show her talent. It's not fair to compare them now.

Edited by nexxstrait

• 3 weeks later...
The lack of feminine Buxom main cast.

Actually I think Mikimoto is pretty sober on this. He doesn't overexpose his characters for fan-service like Ebata does most of the time... (a habit she developed when designing Hentai characters).

That said, after seen his drawing of Sara and Mao Nome, I would love to see Mikimoto's take on the Frontier cast, and Ebata's take on the SDF cast just for the kicks. And although I hate Masayuki designs for Macross Plus with a passion, I gotta admit I have no idea how Mikimoto's style would have fit there had he done the designs for a dark story like Plus instead of the preliminary designs for 7. It worked for War in the Pocket, but Plus is just too far away from that for comfort.

Risa Ebata's designs look waaay better when done by Mikimoto... B))

post-7862-1257424267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Whatever for? I thought you hated it...

I have a theory that a lot of this hate comes from the elements of series that fans have embraced. Watching again to find if there is something good in it beside mecha fights and the music.

Mikimoto is the best in the hole industry.

Gotta agree with you there. His female characters are the best.

As for Masayuki... he is easily the worse character designer in the entire Macross continuity. Looking at his linearts in the Mplus TIAs, I'm sure he gets fvcked alot for the ape-armed character proportions. ^_^

Gotta agree with you there. His female characters are the best.

As for Masayuki... he is easily the worse character designer in the entire Macross continuity. Looking at his linearts in the Mplus TIAs, I'm sure he gets fvcked alot for the ape-armed character proportions. ^_^

Masayuki is F*cking awesome and Takuya Saito is the worst character designer ever to work on Macross, so you can shut your whore mouth! :angry:

Masayuki is F*cking awesome and Takuya Saito is the worst character designer ever to work on Macross, so you can shut your whore mouth! :angry:

I can certainly see where you got your anime art influence... well keep trying. In fact, there's more for you to learn from Takuya Saito than Masayuki. ^_^

I can certainly see where you got your anime art influence... well keep trying. In fact, there's more for you to learn from Takuya Saito than Masayuki. ^_^

saito is SO BOARRINNGGGGG... it's like he goes to work every day and says to himself, "how can I make my character designs as bland as a piece of white bread?"

did I mention that I burnt myself with a hot glue gun a couple hours ago? It hurts like hell and now I'm in a really shitty mood. I blame it on Yamato, those greedy bastards.