1:48 Hasegawa VF-1

CF18

I know it's not Hasegawa's bailiwick but, just based on the breakdown of the parts posted so far, this kit almost looks like it was designed to transform....

Yes, yes it does. But, since Hasegawa would never do such a thing, more likely, they'll be using some of the parts for a...dare we dream.....1/48 BATTROOOOOIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!! :blink:

Got mine from HLJ today, and this kit is genuinely a work of art! The thing that most impressed me was the perfectly in register Hasegawa in-house decals where the white is actually WHITE, not a bone cream color like in many of their older military kits.

Two minor complaints though: The all Japanese instructions using only Gunze Sangyo paint numbers (gotta dig up a reference chart!) and lack of underwing pylons/ordnance. VERY minor complaints, mind you. And hoping they have a weapon set on the way, including both triple missle racks from the TV series and the UUM-7 box launchers as seen in DYRL movie.

Wow, I didn't expect it to have nearly the correct proportions.. the head looks a bit big, and the nose is obviously long, but that doesn't look bad (considering how badly it fits together :lol:)

Mostly, I'm amazed the arms look long enough, since they look rather short in the fighter mode pics I've seen.

I didn't buy the full Vermillion group, but I do have two on the way to tinker with.. Probably will build one of each type, but I don't know if I want them both flying, or one on the gear... and while one will be Hikaru's 1J, I have no idea what I want the second to be.

Edited by Chronocidal

Thanks for that link. This looks pretty awesome!

middle_1267870697.jpg

I truly hope Hasegawa does a battroid version, just cutting things apart and placing them together from fighter to battroid shows just how much they concentrated on making only a sleek fighter mode, and nothing else.

One thing is for sure the head and leg proportions are correct. The shoulders and the feet are just way too small.

One thing is for sure, chop-shopping this fighter would make an amazing GERWALK.

The fact that you can chop the kit up and still get something that is recognisable is as much testament to the work Kawamori put in as it is to the way Hasegawa thought construction through. Role on Battroid and Gerwalk versions. If we sont get em Im sure someone will pony up the parts for a conversion kit. In the same way they did for the VF1-D battroid conversion, that was available from starshipmodeler a year or so back.

This is a gorgeous kit! Got mine from Ami Ami Friday. Diffidently looks like there will be or they mite have been planing a Vf-1S Strike vision. The clear parts has both the VF-1S visor and the clear targeting/range finder piece for the twin beam cannon on the back. I really want that kit! Time to turn this in to a battroid.

This is a gorgeous kit! Got mine from Ami Ami Friday. Diffidently looks like there will be or they mite have been planing a Vf-1S Strike vision. The clear parts has both the VF-1S visor and the clear targeting/range finder piece for the twin beam cannon on the back. I really want that kit! Time to turn this in to a battroid.

Again, as others have said, the VF-1 is such a cookie-cutter design between the various models (just a head and paint swap, really) that it would be utter stupidity for Hasagawa to not pump out each of them. When it comes to injection moulding, the Law of Increasing Returns comes into play: the more you make, the more each kit is worth to you.

Thirded.

What can we say Master Cheng is a Legend. He had put a jaw dropping detail in his 1/72 VF-1 kit what more in a 1/48.

Simply amazing.......

What can we say Master Cheng is a Legend. He had put a jaw dropping detail in his 1/72 VF-1 kit what more in a 1/48.

Simply amazing.......

That counts as a "fourthed". And you're correct in your assessment of his skills. There are times when I think he and Captain America should team up for a sculping/moulding/assembling/painting vidoc.

The 1/48 ultimate resin kit has them.

I think Hasegawa will do a superb weapons set in styrene. What would be super awesome would be if they make a deck crew set that matches what they've done for real aircraft dioramas. But with Macross equivalents.

I think Hasegawa will do a superb weapons set in styrene. What would be super awesome would be if they make a deck crew set that matches what they've done for real aircraft dioramas. But with Macross equivalents.

Actually, for the SDFM style Valks, their normal deck crew set would probably work just fine. We didn't see too much of it in the show (due to the whole space thing and all) but I don't see any reason the standard (atmospheric) Prometheus deck crew would have to be any different from a modern carrier deck crew.

A DYRL set on the other hand... well, as cool as it was to have "AIRCRAFT CARRIERS - IN SPACE!", the launch arms in DYRL made infinitely more sense (steam catapults in zero-g? I lol'd), and there wasn't really any flight deck to populate with crew.

I LOVE these kits though... and I'm terribly torn. I really don't want to drop a load of cash to get as many of these as I'd want to make versions of, but that means I have to decide very carefully how to paint up the two I have.

I'm fairly certain I'm doing one old-school VF-84 (or possibly VF-142, I love those markings too), but I also want to do a VF-1 Wolfpack... not to mention one standard Hikaru 1J scheme. *sigh* Maybe I'll get two more in a couple months... two just isn't enough. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

Thanks for all the Kudos guys! I go away for March Break for a week and all this happens... ;-)

I actually don't even have a kit yet?! I'm resisting a little (although its really hard though...) I'm a 1/72 scale guy - it already takes me long enough to finish something in 1/72 scale, and I can justify a lot of shortcuts and lack of detail to the small scale I'm building in. "ah, its good enough for 72nd scale!" I keep saying to myself. If I go 1/48 (assuming I have the space to display them... which I don't), I'd be there obsessing over every nut on the strips that secure the hydraulic lines to the landing gears - not healthy for my mental health. Plus now with the family, I have so little time to build. I'm sure I'll break down eventually, probably when they release a DYRL VF-1S and when the VF-1S with the packs are released (maybe when both Hasegawa and Newca releases their PE kits). I've always wanted to detail one up like the 1/48 resin with all the flaps/spoilers/slats (definitely spoilers please!) and exposed fuselage panels - but I've always been critical of the overall shape of the resin kit, now it looks like its my chance if the Captn' decides to do some detail parts (please!).

Although, my next 1/72 VF-1 will hopefully incorporate some of the refinements in the 1/48 offering, specifically I love how they corrected the rear leg/engine alignment (the original 72 scale had a wierd downward drop to the rear that I didn't realize till I was finish building it) plus the tailfin boat plane sits lower and more flush with the leg/engine pieces which I'd like to replicate in the 1/72 scale versions (I still have a few of those kits sittin' in boxes in my basement!). I might also try drilling out the vernier thrusters and placing a cross-bar over them - maybe Jasmine/Newca could include the vernier with cross-bar in their next PE-offering?

Edited by wm cheng