1:48 Hasegawa VF-1

CF18

You know for one extra sprue, maybe two, they could issue the kit with the option to build it in TV or DYRL style.

This is Hasegawa - if they stay true to form, there will be a DYRL boxing, a TV boxing labeled "Production Version", a "Skull Squadron" boxing , a "Bounty Hunter" boxing, a "Minmay Special" boxing, etc. etc. etc,. until the molds crap out....

This is Hasegawa - if they stay true to form, there will be a DYRL boxing, a TV boxing labeled "Production Version", a "Skull Squadron" boxing , a "Bounty Hunter" boxing, a "Minmay Special" boxing, etc. etc. etc,. until the molds crap out....

Indeed. It ended up I'd bought over a dozen of F-14s in 1/72 and 1/48. I am now so tempted to get a VF-1 in 1/48

is there a chance that make a s type????

99.4% chance. The 0.6% account for a major earth quake in Japan in the next 6 months. :ph34r:

Well, considering they've already molded the visor/eyepiece for the 1S and included it in the clear parts tree, I consider it a pretty good bet that they realease a 1S version... See the attached pic...

post-30-1264557894_thumb.jpg

I'd have to search again, but aren't there supposed to be differences between the DYRL and TV valk canopies? Thought I remembered lineart that showed the DYRL era block Valk canopies had a "lip" in the front frame with some vents were as the TV valks had the smooth transition from the nose to the canopy. Tenjin's box art also illistraits this to, not that that makes it cannon though.

Chris

Actually, I think that the canopy in the top pic is more bubble-like, whereas the bottom is not. Just have a look at the hoop spar right behind the pilot's head.

Slightly OT, does anyone else find it funny that they managed to get a really clean windscreen on a VF-1, but its much more advanced sibling, the VF-25, has to make do with a canopy spar that's right in the pilot's direct line of sight? :lol:

Actually, I think that the canopy in the top pic is more bubble-like, whereas the bottom is not. Just have a look at the hoop spar right behind the pilot's head.

Slightly OT, does anyone else find it funny that they managed to get a really clean windscreen on a VF-1, but its much more advanced sibling, the VF-25, has to make do with a canopy spar that's right in the pilot's direct line of sight? :lol:

so that the pilot won't get sun burnt...... muahaha

I wonder how many of these 1/48 model parts can be installed on the Yamato 1/48 valks. I think the head and gunpod are the obvious parts. Maybe some parts of the cockpit. This kit can be used to up detail a tranformable VF-1. Hehe...just thinking out loud about the possibilities...

I think the one on the top is like the old 80's models (2 part mold) where the canopy cross-section doesn't come back on itself like a bubble. Where the lower one comes back on itself so its more bubble-like with an undercut (3 part mold - hence the requirement of the seam, which curiously isn't shown) - this was a Hasegawa invention to make the canopy more realistic like actual fighter jets AFAIK.

Some serious observation, I can never tell the diffences. :p

If pick one, I think flat looks better.

/me cries at unbuilt 1/48 resin valks in the closet

I wouldnt worry they are still a fairly special thing in most fans eyes.

I put in my order for mine at HLJ and got the usual preorder conformations of price etc. :)

Simply gorgeous... I think it will be a success. I will wait for the 1-S version most likely to come next month or so.. Or better yet the fast pack version. I like the choices of canopies one TV and DYRL

It's nice... but I kinda expected a bit more (considering its 1/48! - they did a pretty amazing job on the 1/72 already) - considering other than size and the exposed leg/engine, its just a scaled up 1/72. At this size, its begging for a resin landing gear well, PE parts including electrical and hydraulic plumbing, canopy latch sills, rails, intake trunks, other opened access panels, airbrake with opened slats, gun pod cart & ammo, retracting crew ladder and of course a full set of fowler flaps, spoilers and edge slats (are you listening Captn!) - everything needed to bring it up to the resin kit.

Actually, my personal little jump-for-joy moment was when I noticed all the improvements they made over the 1/72... not so much in the finer details, but overall shape.

The 1/72 always looked like the entire plane was bent to me.. they mounted the lower legs at downward angle that really didn't look right. This one has them up at the same angle as the Yamato 1/48, and it really improves the appearance to me.

One other thing they fixed is the screwballed assembly for the tail section/backpack. I don't know what the people who designed the 1/72 kit were thinking there, but the whole boat tail section should've looked like this to begin with, smooth from front to back; the 1/72 has a huge step down to the very rear section, which I still scratch my head over.. :blink:

They really did pay nice attention to detail on the panel lines this time too.. the hinge points on the tails look like they're staggered enough so they could actually overlap properly when folded.

Only thing I'm kind of surprised about is how thick they made the lower section of the wing glove. It's probably closer to the original line art, but it's much deeper than the 1/72, or any of the transforming Yamato VF-1s.

That picture of the canopies does illustrate one interesting thing about them, and why real canopies tend to be bubble-shaped... I think I like the shape of the less rounded one more since it matches up with the fuselage better, but you can really see how the bubble shape of the other one helps reduce distortion.

I love my 1/48 YF-19, and if this is anywhere near it, I might have to buy about a dozen. ^_^

What I'm really waiting for is the inevitable transforming customs people will do. Considering it's the same scale as the Yamato, I'd half expect most versions to be a mashup of this kit with Yammie internals (plus things like hands, etc). Not to mention, you could potentially use the Yamato weapons on these, rather than wait for Hasegawa to release a set (inversely, mounting high detailed missiles on a Yammie would look awesome.)

Edited by Chronocidal

It's nice... but I kinda expected a bit more (considering its 1/48! - they did a pretty amazing job on the 1/72 already) - considering other than size and the exposed leg/engine, its just a scaled up 1/72. At this size, its begging for a resin landing gear well, PE parts including electrical and hydraulic plumbing, canopy latch sills, rails, intake trunks, other opened access panels, airbrake with opened slats, gun pod cart & ammo, retracting crew ladder and of course a full set of fowler flaps, spoilers and edge slats (are you listening Captn!) - everything needed to bring it up to the resin kit.

I'd rather have the basic version that is more on the affordable side, thank you.

Hopefully the PE parts set will be made in the same style as the one for the 1/72, preferably with more details and PE gear and bays. Some nice flaps and spoilers would be good too. At least in 1/48 the flaps are eaiser to modify due to the size. You know they're gonna make Fast Packs or a FP version and a bunch of Batroid versions, but what we really want is a GBP 1/48 would be awesome.

I'd rather have the basic version that is more on the affordable side, thank you.

+100 - I like that Hasegawa has designed this kit to be excellent on it's own at a reasonable price and leave the resin & PE details to the modeller's discretion (and pocketbook).

Edited by aquilon

If Hasegawa make it available as a Batroid then at least we can all maker a Gerwalk, then life will be easier to make a fully TF version, not that I mean easy by any means, just less mesing around with making buts etc.

I do hope they go about making some diferent ones, afterall they have milked the mold for the 1/72, but we all want/need a GBP in eaither scale.