1:48 Hasegawa VF-1

CF18

YES! Finally a 1/48 that I can get excited about. This might actually break me out of my strict 1/72 scale policy... now where to find the room for this. I too only wished that it had more removable access/fuselage panels and a wing with all the slats, fowler flaps and spoilers detailed and separated. This might be my exception. ;-)

For what it's worth, I think that they were very smart in the marketing of the new 1/48 Macross line: produce a kit in 1/48 scale that is nicely scribed, with just enough detail--and affordable! They very easily could have tooled more removeable panels, separate slats, flaps, photo-etch, fowler flaps, etc, but then the price-point would be much less attractive; especially for those that just want a nice, clean, no-frills display bird. I give Hasegawa a great big thimbs-up! :)

For what it's worth, I think that they were very smart in the marketing of the new 1/48 Macross line: produce a kit in 1/48 scale that is nicely scribed, with just enough detail--and affordable! They very easily could have tooled more removeable panels, separate slats, flaps, photo-etch, fowler flaps, etc, but then the price-point would be much less attractive; especially for those that just want a nice, clean, no-frills display bird. I give Hasegawa a great big thimbs-up! :)

So does that mean you're going to come to our rescue?! :lol: A whole engine bay out on a truck like the Tamiya F-16 (1/32) would be nice just for starters... (including PE ribs for the interior of the leg once the engine is out of course! :wacko: ) I hope they put the intake fan a bit farther into the leg to look a bit more realistic.

imagine a lighted up kit.. this will be my next project after YF19....however, i think we don't see this model on sales before january-march.

I hope super/stike pack and weapons don't comes separately

Edited by torc

So does that mean you're going to come to our rescue?! :lol: A whole engine bay out on a truck like the Tamiya F-16 (1/32) would be nice just for starters... (including PE ribs for the interior of the leg once the engine is out of course! :wacko: ) I hope they put the intake fan a bit farther into the leg to look a bit more realistic.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at some sort of aftermarket update eventually; I think that the fixed flaps/slats on the control surfaces are begging for a correction. As for photo-etch, the last time I did some was 10 years ago and it was very, very pricy (mind you, it was stainless steel.) That having been said, if I can find a supplier with a better price, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at some sort of aftermarket update eventually; I think that the fixed flaps/slats on the control surfaces are begging for a correction. As for photo-etch, the last time I did some was 10 years ago and it was very, very pricy (mind you, it was stainless steel.) That having been said, if I can find a supplier with a better price, I'm all for it.

I haven't had it done in a while but it wasn't too terrible for a sheet of 11" X 14".

Nice, now my lone 1/48 yammie won't feel so lonely on the shelf. :)

One thing I hope they change... that canopy is a bit fugly. Looks really fat and bulbous, even worse than the Yamato 1/48. Aside from that, I'm lookin forward to painting up a few of these.. finally have a good use for all those spare F-14 decals I get. ^_^

I wonder how long it'll be before someone rips the internals out of a Yamato one to see if they fit in this thing?

That sounds awesome Capt, i'm totally in!

You know what has me irked? All this time, and Hasegawa has yet to produce even a 1/72 kit of the VF-11.

What gives?!?!?!

I love that they did the VF-1 and YF-19......I just really hope that there's an 11 coming up sometime soon.

yeah...one of the best VF i ever seen...maybe this time hasegawa will make it (however my hopes aren't too much) <_<

To be honest, I was surprised the YF-19 came out in 1/48 injection molded kits before the VF-1. Not that I'm complaining. Still, considering the ONLY choice for a 1/48 VF-1 is the Club-M resin kit from eons ago, this is a godsend. I hope Hasegawa releases this beauty jam packed with FAST / STRIKE Packs and the arsenal of ordnance.

It would be nice to have a 1/48 VF-1 STRIKE in jet mode without breaking the bank. If the YF-19 is selling good, this kit is a guaranteed success. We've been looking for a large scale VF-1 kit for ages.

Edited by Warmaker

No kidding. Those old 1/48 kits were beautiful in their own right, but still had some minor flaws IMO. I'm not saying Hasegawa's are 100% perfect, but with CAD designing these days the "accuracy" is getting better and better.

I had so much fun building the 1/72 kits, and I can't wait for the 1/48's. I just hope they release every option they've done so far and more.

To add to the comment above, I'm also hoping that they don't release the kit as a single variant (IE: VF-1A only). I'm really hoping that they release the kits with all the head types (A,J,S).

And as a side note: I can't wait to see what everyone builds. Especially Captain and WM Cheng.

Edited by Fatalist

What I am wondering is how difficult will be to mod the 1/48 M-Club Fast packs to this kit. and whether the weight of resin will make the gears collapse?

I wonder if the sculpts are somewhat symmetrically relevant to interchange some parts and mode details..?

What I am wondering is how difficult will be to mod the 1/48 M-Club Fast packs to this kit. and whether the weight of resin will make the gears collapse?

I wonder if the sculpts are somewhat symmetrically relevant to interchange some parts and mode details..?

Mod schmod. Wait for Captain A to start churning out accessory kits for this beast and all will be good :D

Not to burst anyone's bubble but I'm a Hasegawa 1/48 aircraft fan for like forever. I guarantee you this kit will only give you the basic VF-1 and you will have to buy the various boxings for a 1S, 1J, Strike pack and underwing ordnance. Basically what they've been doing w/ the 1/72 kits.

However, if you wait around long enough, Hasegawa may release a special boxing in which they'll include all three heads.

I will stil buy this kit as the Dash 1 is my favorite and 1/48 is my scale of choice!

I want a TV interior too.

Now that we're in a bigger scale that allows for more detail, I want a TV interior too.

That's something I don't see Hasegawa releasing. I know we'll get all the heads and a nice set of fast packs and some weapons too. But we won't get a TV cockpit and pilot.

5220937558352cockpitsit.jpg[/url]

But we won't get a TV cockpit and pilot.

Not from Hasegawa. As it gets closer to release though, I will start a TV pilot and perhaps cockpit. And if it turns out well, I will make more to share!

Edited by PetarB

Now that we're in a bigger scale that allows for more detail, I want a TV interior too.

That's something I don't see Hasegawa releasing. I know we'll get all the heads and a nice set of fast packs and some weapons too. But we won't get a TV cockpit and pilot.

5220937558352cockpitsit.jpg[/url]

Ahem.....Captain America.......

wow! so cool, a shame I don't have time to build this things

For me although I don't have the time as well, but it is more of "lack of skill" really.... so most likely I will commission someone to build the whole thing for me... saves time, I can have a good end product, just for some money ;)

I cant wait to see what the Capt and Mr Cheng come up with. :) the level of detail on 1/48 scale is so vast compared to 1/72, we get some good work shown here in 1/72 so 1/48 should be a treat for us all.

Im in, Fighter, Battroid and FastPacks and GBP, in fact heck just do em all :)

If you've never put together a model kit before (aside from those in the snap-together variety) how should you prepare yourself before tackling a hasegawa kit? After seeing the pics of the 1/48 YF-19 and considering what a 1/48 VF-1 will potential look like, I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge into the world of modeling!

If you've never put together a model kit before (aside from those in the snap-together variety) how should you prepare yourself before tackling a hasegawa kit? After seeing the pics of the 1/48 YF-19 and considering what a 1/48 VF-1 will potential look like, I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge into the world of modeling!

If you've never put together a model before and want to take on a 1/48, I hope you're a patient person, because imo you'll need a lot of it. When I first started building models I remember being so careful and meticulous at first. Then I would get so anxious at wanting to see the final product I would then rush to the end, leaving out a lot of details and ultimately being unsatisfied.

It's really a matter of how much work you are willing to put into it. If you want to pay attention to every detail, get ready for the long haul especially with a 1/48. At the other extreme, you could slap the pieces together in a sitting. If you're satisfied with that, cool.

Oh, and get ready to spend money on modelling products. Again, depending on what you want to do, it will get pricey. When all is said and done you may spend more then just getting a Yamato 1/48 if you have no modelling equipment to begin with. But don't get me wrong. The experience is very rewarding.

If you've never built a model before, I wouldn't recommend a Hasegawa "jet" kit be your first. While generally the fit, detail & fidelity are second to none, they can be "fiddly".....their 1/48 F-14 Tomcat and F/A-18C Hornet come to mind. After looking through my copy of the YF-19, I would put it in the same category as the Hornet in size and complexity.

If you're new at this, my recommendation is to start off with a Tamiya 1/48 kit first like their F4U Corsair: it's fairly cheap, is considered one of the easiest 1/48 kits to build and look good, and has a simple color scheme of all-over Gloss Sea Blue including the wheel wells! Once you have that under your belt, if you want to try a jet, check out a Hasegawa F-16 (it's also fairly cheap if you can find an older boxing, is an easy build and has a fairly simple camouflage scheme of three grays) or jump into the VF-1 or YF-19 kits. And remember: this hobby is fun!

Edited by aquilon