Japanese VF-0S

Andrew

Almost finished this VF-0S in Japanese colours. Took some pictures and thought might as well put some up here.

Anyway, I was inspired to do a scheme that is similar to the Japanese WW2 A6M5 zero, an iconic Japanese aircraft that the Japanese took great pride in.

Since one of the companies that contributed to the VF-0 was Japanese and the VF-0 sharing similar name to A6M5 Zero I figured it should be fitting that the new Zero mark the occasion with its predecessor's scheme. Decals used were from the VF-0S and F-15J squadrons that took part in Senkyo 2002.

Amongst other things, I still have yet to do the head and haven't finished the gun pod.

I've also decided to leave the conformal fuel tanks off and display it with the FAST pack later. Also modified the pilot by re-attaching the arms and legs and using the head of a standing pilot from the Fujimi 1/72nd Kit.

I learnt many things doing this one. Tamiya Masking tape leaves quite a bit of residue on gunze gloss paint that i couldn't really get rid of despite trying out Zippo lighter fluid and WD40. In the end, I had to repaint the surface masking off the flat colour(white). Anyone have any alternatives to this?

Also I'm not sure if other people experienced this before but when I tried to paint flat paint over gloss surface, the flat paint cracked. In the end, I had to use thinner to rub down the gloss paint so it gets back to the primer level and paint flat from that. Any tips in that area?

Anyway, here are some photos.

IMG_4979_resize.jpg

IMG_4980_resize.jpg

IMG_4983_resize.jpg

IMG_4984_resize.jpg

IMG_4987_resize.jpg

IMG_4990_resize.jpg

IMG_4994_resize.jpg

IMG_4998_resize.jpg

IMG_4999_resize.jpg

IMG_5000_resize.jpg

It looks very subdued in those colours, I dont mean I dont like it its very different. From first seeing the thread I was thinking oh another sundowners type custom, how wrong was I :). Great job.

Thanks guys,

This would be one very expensive Kamikaze should it ever had to resolve to that!

Here are some more pics closer to finish. I still have to finish the gunpod, do the head, add on a coat of clear acrylic and then add on the lights.

post-9291-1255193190_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193218_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193266_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193285_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193330_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193369_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193387_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193471_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193488_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193506_thumb.jpg

post-9291-1255193517_thumb.jpg

I have the feeling the paints are too thick

some panel lines would be really great

The green turned out darker than I expected and makes the panel lines harder to see from a distance. Though because I want this to represent a newly painted once off scheme, I kept panel line washes to a bare minimum (under the nose and underneath mid fuselage ) and no weathering.

That looks rather good, an interesting take on the custom scheme idea. (I am thinking about a pre Falklands Fleet Air Arm scheme personally) Perhaps some red or white lined boxed areas around the flaps or other components of note might brake up the large areas of flat green, examples of these can be seen on lots of Japanese planes of this period. Another idea would be to drill out the holes in the wind break behind the cockpit as this can add a lot of depth and interest. Anyhow great idea nicely executed, keep up the work!

Weasel

Edited by Weasel

That looks rather good, an interesting take on the custom scheme idea. (I am thinking about a pre Falklands Fleet Air Arm scheme personally) Perhaps some red or white lined boxed areas around the flaps or other components of note might brake up the large areas of flat green, examples of these can be seen on lots of Japanese planes of this period. Another idea would be to drill out the holes in the wind break behind the cockpit as this can add a lot of depth and interest. Anyhow great idea nicely executed, keep up the work!

Weasel

Thanks, yeah I'd like to drill holes on the speed break.The red boxes would have been a great idea. I decided not to do it because of the amount of masking involved to paint them and I thought they were 'areas you could step on' which may not be the same. But if I could make/find some decals to do it, I sure would add them on. One thing I do regret, is not being able to find some tail marking decals of some of Japan's top zero aces, like Saburo Sakai and Nishizawa. I would have loved to put some yellow numbers/letters from their aircraft on the tail. But because I couldn't find them, I just resorted to the F-15J Senkyo 2002 tail art.

I'm hoping to do a VF-0A in F-14D scheme of VF-2 as the next model. At some point, I also would like to do one in a British Harrier scheme, but more like the modern RAF Harrier colours.

Thanks, yeah I'd like to drill holes on the speed break.The red boxes would have been a great idea. I decided not to do it because of the amount of masking involved to paint them and I thought they were 'areas you could step on' which may not be the same. But if I could make/find some decals to do it, I sure would add them on. One thing I do regret, is not being able to find some tail marking decals of some of Japan's top zero aces, like Saburo Sakai and Nishizawa. I would have loved to put some yellow numbers/letters from their aircraft on the tail. But because I couldn't find them, I just resorted to the F-15J Senkyo 2002 tail art.

I'm hoping to do a VF-0A in F-14D scheme of VF-2 as the next model. At some point, I also would like to do one in a British Harrier scheme, but more like the modern RAF Harrier colours.

I think you are correct about the marked off areas and I agree they would be a bit of a faff to mask and spray! The tail markings would have been the icing if you had managed to find them but I haven't seen them anywhere on-line either and free painting is hard, possibly using a multilayered mask you could build them up but that might get hard. The RAF schemes are good, personally I think the slightly older ones are more interesting but that's just me.

Anyhow nice model and looking forward to seeing the next one.

Weasel

Edited by Weasel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...