Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

On the otherhand according to Big West Macross II is a direct sequel to DYRL.

Wow, really?

So according to Big West, Macross II is just a film within the Macross universe starring actors and special effects like Do you Remember Love and Bird Human?

I didn't know that.

That would makes a lot of sense.

Then again...it could just be a convenient cop out to bring Macross II back into the cannon without disrupting the consistency of everything else. If Macross II is a movie/sequel to DYRL, then shouldn't it be called "Do You Remember Love II"?

Wow, really?

So according to Big West, Macross II is just a film within the Macross universe starring actors and special effects like Do you Remember Love and Bird Human?

I didn't know that.

That would makes a lot of sense.

Then again...it could just be a convenient cop out to bring Macross II back into the cannon without disrupting the consistency of everything else. If Macross II is a movie/sequel to DYRL, then shouldn't it be called "Do You Remember Love II"?

No...in the Macross II universe, DYRL "really happened," so neither of them are "just movies."

Now I'm totally confused.

So there are two universes?... The "SDFM/Plus/7/Zero/Frontier universe" in which DYRL was a film, and a second universe in which DYRL (and Mac II) were actual events?

Yes.

In 1992, when it was released, Macross II was billed as a sequel to DYRL.

Then in 1994, when Macross Plus and 7 came out, DYRL was relegated to its current role as "just a movie" and Macross II was placed in an alternate universe.

Yes.

In 1992, when it was released, Macross II was billed as a sequel to DYRL.

Then in 1994, when Macross Plus and 7 came out, DYRL was relegated to its current role as "just a movie" and Macross II was placed in an alternate universe.

But if Mac II is a sequel to DYRL, and DYRL was relegated to it's role of "just being a movie", doesn't Mac II get relegated to the same role by association of being a sequel to DYRL?

Maybe I should stop derailing this topic.

So Macross Fronier...who else can't wait for the movie version?

But if Mac II is a sequel to DYRL, and DYRL was relegated to it's role of "just being a movie", doesn't Mac II get relegated to the same role by association of being a sequel to DYRL?

It should get relegated to that role...but it hasn't. The official word is that it's an alternate universe (or, to put it in their words, "Parallel Story").

And yeah...Frontier movie. Cool stuff, huh?

Edited by Gubaba

Originally, Macross II: Lovers Again was promoted as a sequel to Macross: Do You Remember Love. The explanation was that it happened 80 years after the events of DYRL. In the manga adaption it starts with Minmay (and the combine U.N. Spacey & Zentradi fleets) singing the love song to defeat the forces of Gorg Bedolza. So this firmly sets it in the time line of DYRL. Now Mac 2 is relagated to alternate time line or universe status because of Studio Nue not having worked on the project and it's utter failure to re-launch the series.

I know! It's a good thing that pop stars in real life all look prim and proper and don't show an inch of skin, right?

Hmm, going by the idea that Sheryl is a modern day western pop star... should we be expecting her to get knocked up, shave her head and put on weight by 2061? Pending the divorce from Alto and horrid custody battle over the children, the galaxy tabloids will have a field day.

"Sheryl Nome locks herself in bathroom with children and razor, refusing her lesbian lover access to their children!"

Oh lord.

Hmm, going by the idea that Sheryl is a modern day western pop star... should we be expecting her to get knocked up, shave her head and put on weight by 2061? Pending the divorce from Alto and horrid custody battle over the children, the galaxy tabloids will have a field day.

"Sheryl Nome locks herself in bathroom with children and razor, refusing her lesbian lover access to their children!"

Oh lord.

Lesbian lover - does Ranka turn lesbian? Hmmm...

Considering the TV series, Sheryl followed a more Christina Aguillera road though (they also both had their share of horrendously designed sexy outfits) :D

NT-2009-12.jpg

I just noticed this after Roy's comment about slurmtiness (pffy, language filter) made me take a closer look... are those sticks of dynamite underneath her skirt?

I gather they're functional, although I have no idea whether they're fireworks or actual explosives.

(Explosion once again, eh?)

Also, Sheryl doesn't dress like a stripper because a stripper actually needs something to take off.

Edited by DeeBot

Considering the TV series, Sheryl followed a more Christina Aguillera road though (they also both had their share of horrendously designed sexy outfits) :D

Actually, I found that after Sheryl starts to accept her illness and her fate she starts to write songs that have a lot more soul to them, while Christina Aguillera is still just a vapid talentless whore who merely looks diseased. Also, there is a difference between high-priced-bondage-prostitutes and a scaggy bint. So I'm told... :unsure:

Actually, I found that after Sheryl starts to accept her illness and her fate she starts to write songs that have a lot more soul to them, while Christina Aguillera is still just a vapid talentless whore who merely looks diseased. Also, there is a difference between high-priced-bondage-prostitutes and a scaggy bint. So I'm told... :unsure:

This is the best pro-Sheryl post I have ever read.

Now I'm totally confused.

So there are two universes?... The "SDFM/Plus/7/Zero/Frontier universe" in which DYRL was a film, and a second universe in which DYRL (and Mac II) were actual events?

Pretty much.

In between DYRL and Macross II events is the PC Engine games Macross 2036 and Macross Eternal Love Song.

In Macross 2036 features Komilia, daughter of Max and Milia, as the main charcter. Only she was born in 2019 not 2011. The main villain is a cyborged Quamzin who brought with him the Bodolle Neld fleet. Vrlithwai in action as the UN Spacy Supreme Commander.

Macross Eternal Love Song has a new character Kiryuu as the main character who has a romance with a Meltrandi spy. Quamzin still alive brings with him Bodolle Burado fleet and in tow their Meltrandi enemies. Set a year after Macross 2036.

Also in the DYRL-2036-ELS-MIILA universe Megaroad-1 left in 2014 not 2012. And it did not disappear as the Studio Nue universe.

All that is considered as the Big West continuity.

In the Studio Nue continuity on the other hand Dreamcast game Macross M3, PS game Macross Digital Mission VF-X and PS game Macross VF-X2 are all included in Studio Nue Macross canon.

Edited by RedWolf

Oh don't worry about that, I'm not saying they're equals of the sort. Just that she's the lesser evil pop singer life to compare Sheryl to ;)

So going back, I only hope they do not alter Sheryl's base character too much for the movie. Costumes and song alteration are fine because those are more superficial. I, in all honestly, want them to work on Alto more, instead of any of the two girls. That guy needs development.

I just noticed this after Roy's comment about slurmtiness (pffy, language filter) made me take a closer look... are those sticks of dynamite underneath her skirt?

I gather they're functional, although I have no idea whether they're fireworks or actual explosives.

Also, Sheryl doesn't dress like a stripper because a stripper actually needs something to take off.

Definitely looks that way. Apparently, she's a miner as well as a cow girl. Oh idealized concepts of foreign history. ^_^

I'd love to see someone pull off that black stage outfit at a con without the benefit of the cloak. I've seen manga Chocolats , so the bouynderies can be tested.

And suddenly, I want an image of Sheryl shaving her own head for the luls. Though I'm still liking the blue hair.

Not wanting to go offtopic but...

Since DYRL is considered a movie in the real Macross timeline (SDFM/Plus/Zero/Frontier)... where does that put Frontier the Movie at? Some parallel-universe thing like Macross II, or maybe... just another movie like DYRL and Birdman?

NTの河森こめ

(シェリル)いいんですか?「なにがきても平気」なんて宣言しちゃっても!?

遠藤さんからお許しが出たということで、後編でのシェリルの扱いは…模索中にしてください(笑)

(アルト)三角関係の決着もがんばりますよ。ただ「頑張る」のと「結論がでる」のかは別です(夜来)

ことばひとつで大きく見方が変わるので、後編ではそんな気持ちも描きたいです

NT付録CDの「劇場版について語ろう」コーナーのまとめ

アフレコは一気に全部とりなおしで15時間ぶっとおしアフレコ

台本は分厚かった

ほとんど新規作画のせいか画がなかった

そのシーンにいた人物がいなかったり、いなかった人物がいたりして

同じセリフでもシチュエーションが違う

1年ぶりのシリアスな早乙女アルトのアフレコやるのは難しかった

神谷さんはテレビシリーズよりラジオで珍妙なコントでよく喋ってるせいか

テレビシリーズと劇場版ではニュアンスが違ったせいか

音響監督に「ちゃんと仕事ムードでセリフ言って」と言われ若干ショックだった

ランカ新曲とりおろしがいっぱいで監督と菅野さんに新人の頃、デビュー前に戻ってみてねと言われた

河森監督からのメッセージ *読んだのは神谷さん

クランには劇場版での活躍はもちろん、劇場版を飛び出しての活躍、

これからどんなデカルチャーがあるかこうご期待

劇場版をテレビシリーズの続編にしなかったのは神谷さんに出てもらうため

ミシェルが活躍できるようパラレルストーリーにしました <--------------------------------------Orz...

あとは自分で聞いて確かめてくれ

Since DYRL is considered a movie in the real Macross timeline (SDFM/Plus/Zero/Frontier)... where does that put Frontier the Movie at? Some parallel-universe thing like Macross II, or maybe... just another movie like DYRL and Birdman?

I wouldn't worry about the continuity too much. Everything is meta-fiction simply because it's easier for Kawamori and crew to tweak things and release movie versions of the series with additional scenes (Would you want this movie to be a compressed version of the series with the exact same scenes?). This way they don't have to worry about consistency too much or their rabid fans who want to know why a character's appearance has changed or a scene is a little different.

Ultimately, everything is true in the sense that the events all occurred at some point in Macross history as a general rule. Minmei sings to Zentradi, Basara is traveling the galaxy making people and Protodeviln listen to his song, Macross Frontier meets the Vajra, etc. Don't worry about finer details, because that's all that makes the respective versions unique.

Just think of DRYL as another interpretation of the same thing. Ultimately the message is the same. Though DRYL has been recognized as a movie in the series before, but the lines get blurred as time passes and Kawamori doesn't really care. The Frontier movie will probably be the same. It's just as canon as anything else and reflects the same events of the Vajra meeting Macross Frontier. Also, seeing as how the movie isn't out yet, why speculate?

Only Macross 2 seems to be considered a parallel continuity. I don't know why though, there's no reason it couldn't be a movie sequel to DRYL in the original continuity or something.

They do look like dynamite.

On the other hand one has to be thankful that the thong outfit actually has a cape over it.

Didn't Alto actually mention that she shows most of it off on stage? So.... even if it's a hologram, I don't see the difference. It's still her being shown.

I guess Alto would know if the holograms are true to life or not. ;)

Edited by DeeBot

劇場版をテレビシリーズの続編にしなかったのは神谷さんに出てもらうため

ミシェルが活躍できるようパラレルストーリーにしました

<--------------------------------------Orz...

So getting a retelling instead of a sequel of MF is Hiroshi Kamiya's fault. That staff are a bunch of Michel-shippers. Mikhail!!!!angry-smiley-055.gif

:lol:laughing-smiley-014.gif

OK, here's a bit of info to help your head explode... :p

Based on Seto Keiba's research (resident guru of all things Macross II), DYRL and Mac II are based on the original timeline created for SDFM (The Macross timeline has been retconned several times so don't get up in arms about it ;) ). The divergence came with DYRL which replaced the SA with the Zentran and Meltran factions. Mac 7 took the chronology to a different direction, while Mac 2 took the chronology along the DYRL direction. Thus we have two universes. The Mac 2 haters like to coin the phrase that the show was "exiled" to alternate universe status, whereas IMO it was simply relegated to what it truly was, no positive or negative connotations were present in the decision.

The best part of all this is that Kawamori has stated that all productions are not "true" depictions of the actual events in the macross history, only dramatic representations.... :p

Any further discussion on this subject should be in the Newbie Questions thread.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26406