Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

Just saw it last night, I liked it, but I liked the series better.

Unlike the original SDFM and DYRL, the increased budget for the movie was not enough to make up for the lost "content". As others have mentioned the plot does seem a bit disjointed.

On the plus side, I like the movie version of Klan and Ranka much better - animation wise, plot and character wise they are about the same (which is good).

This wouldn't be the first time a link has been provided in MW. I believe even the forum staff have contributed links when Frontier was broadcasting for the first time. The moderators do a good job as it is moderating. It's not like MW is hosting the content either. Moreover, even if there was or wasn't a link provided in MW...it doesn't take much to find whatever it is out on the web these days.

It really doesn't, honestly. Back in 2008, we provided links because it was easier and people could find it without searching the net. But my my my, how things have changed in 2 years. If you go to Google and search for "Macross Frontier movie download" or "torrent" or "megaupload", it will list torrents, direct download links, etc. Or even going to /rs/ on 4chan will get you where you need to go. So the need for staff to provide you guys with links isn't a priority anymore, unless it is unique that people might not find it. Despite Google's need to index everything (that's a topic for some place else), we really don't need to list links because most of it can be done by using Google. We'll still provide links, but honestly, searching via Google is faster.

You can also just go to the website of the group doing the subs

http://www.thoranime.org/

I thought the movie did a great job on retelling and clarifying to relationship between the 3 main protagonist. As for 'missing content',no, alto did not make all 37 paper airplanes like we saw in the series nor did we see the walking talking fan-service job that is Nanase. Extra secondary characters are brought in as filler so the story can be stretched into a 26 episode series. Movies are more focused on the main characters with no need to stretch out a plot too long. Part of the reason Alto came across as idiot oblivious to Ranka's feelings was the the need to keep the triangle unresolved for 26 episodes. The feelings between all three seemed to progress at real time. The series sometimes felt like everyone was stuck in a time loop.

You can also just go to the website of the group doing the subs

http://www.thoranime.org/

I thought the movie did a great job on retelling and clarifying to relationship between the 3 main protagonist. As for 'missing content',no, alto did not make all 37 paper airplanes like we saw in the series nor did we see the walking talking fan-service job that is Nanase. Extra secondary characters are brought in as filler so the story can be stretched into a 26 episode series. Movies are more focused on the main characters with no need to stretch out a plot too long. Part of the reason Alto came across as idiot oblivious to Ranka's feelings was the the need to keep the triangle unresolved for 26 episodes. The feelings between all three seemed to progress at real time. The series sometimes felt like everyone was stuck in a time loop.

I feel the exact opposite minus not missing Nanase. The movie removed almost all the drama, and as you noted character development. No one but Gill died, Sheryl never got sick, an entire planet never got destroyed, etc, etc. The relationship between Alto and Sheryl may have been paced somewhat well, but I am still at a loss for Alto's "interest" in Ranka. Oh, and you still have an unresolved love triangle.

I feel the exact opposite minus not missing Nanase. The movie removed almost all the drama, and as you noted character development. No one but Gill died, Sheryl never got sick, an entire planet never got destroyed, etc, etc. The relationship between Alto and Sheryl may have been paced somewhat well, but I am still at a loss for Alto's "interest" in Ranka. Oh, and you still have an unresolved love triangle.

I never said they removed character development. To the contrary Alto, Ranka and Sheryl seem to be far more fleshed out and three dimensional. You can empathize with Alto more, he has more of a hero vibe. In the series he is either not paying attention to things around him or yelling at the top of his lungs when questioned. He seemed like he was fighting because he was an angry teen lashing out. It is also a lot easier to root for Sheryl. You can sense her pining for Alto and see her depression. In the TV series to this point she was a bitchy spoiled brat who only seem to chase Alto out of boredom.

The drama you say is missing did not happen until episode 12 or later. This movie covers up to episode 7. For the same reason the love triangle is unresolved but at least Alto shows he recognizes it and sees how it is affecting both girls. That was about 1 hour into the movie. How long did it take for Alto to give any outward appearance he had a clue what was going on in the series? Even at episode 15 when both girls try to out do each other he still seemed to have no idea what was going on.

The drama you say is missing did not happen until episode 12 or later. This movie covers up to episode 7. For the same reason the love triangle is unresolved but at least Alto shows he recognizes it and sees how it is affecting both girls. That was about 1 hour into the movie. How long did it take for Alto to give any outward appearance he had a clue what was going on in the series? Even at episode 15 when both girls try to out do each other he still seemed to have no idea what was going on.

The triangle is one of the things the movie has right (I agree with you). One scene I really liked was near the end where it is obvious that Alto is trying not to hurt the feelings of Ranka or Sheryl. It will be interesting to see how the Aimo song plays out in the movie version part 2 as well.

I of course, feel the need to point out Grace:

For the first couple eps, we all thought that Grace was some poor manager/agent, whose thankless job was to put up with a bitchy diva and schedule her public appearances. Then there was the Gallia IV arc. That changed everything, rapidly. But even after that, most people were still totally clueless as to her true nature, as Grace 2.0 showed up in Sheryl's hospital room hours later. It wasn't until the very end that anyone other than Brera really knew what was going on.

In the movie--she's fully revealed in front of everyone very quickly, and we see her "talking in the green cyber-room" about 20 episodes earlier than in the series.

She lost all of her backstory/intrigue. She's no longer a "hidden backroom manipulator" who's revealed much later.

Well, why bother with that? Most people who see the movie will have already seen the show, and thus, they already know who and what Grace is.

There just is not time for it either, a 12.5 hour series can afford to reveal things more slowly, a couple of 1.5 to 2 hour movies has to get the plot rolling quickly. Things were disjointed in the movie enough as is, trying to show Grace as a bad manager for half the movie and then burn more time showing she was really a baddie would make it even more jumpy.

By that line of thinking, why even have the movie at all? Most of the audience already knows the story.

Because "Grace is secretly evil" in itself is a big twist, a stunning surprise for the new viewer that offers much less when already known, compared to many other elements of the story to be retold. Actually, while I loved that particular twist in Frontier, I think the TV suffered a lot for holding onto the existence and details of the conspiracy. The level of mystery the writers tried to maintain kept Sheryl rather separated from much of the serious goings on that she was ultimately involved in, gave Brera basically no sensible place in the story until near the very end, and generally meant that all the exposition had to be crowded into already busy late episodes.

Admittedly, a lot of this is just a problem where Frontier needed to be ten more episodes or so, and a lot of this was how much of the writing on the TV show was very seat of the pants, but both of these are significant in my take on the movie. First, they have little time to fool around: there's space for twists and secrets in the movies, but only for those secrets which can easily hold themselves. It also means a lot of stuff needs cut or compressed, unfortunately sometimes things that were pretty cool. Second, they've done this story through once already and this time have had time to think it all over, and seemed to have spent a lot of it on thinking "Okay, how would we have done this if we could do it all over again?" and "How can we retell this but still give fresh material?" There I think it's mostly worked well.

On that last, A lot of comments have been on the love triangle and how that works, but even aside from the Alto/Ranka/Sheryl situation, I think other relationship "groups" of the series have benefited a lot from the movie retelling. As mentioned before, I think there's a lot gained from just a little screentime by making Brera tied in with Sheryl and Grace to start: it was a lot more cohesive than having Sheryl and Brera connected to Grace entirely separately. Tying the spy drama in quickly was important in that. Similarly, it seemed to make the relationships of Alto to Ranka, Ranka to Ozma, and Ozma to Cathy less floatingly separate than they were in the TV show. The movie made good time of getting the characters, the ones not reduced to total bit parts that is, significantly connected.

I never said they removed character development. To the contrary Alto, Ranka and Sheryl seem to be far more fleshed out and three dimensional. You can empathize with Alto more, he has more of a hero vibe. In the series he is either not paying attention to things around him or yelling at the top of his lungs when questioned. He seemed like he was fighting because he was an angry teen lashing out. It is also a lot easier to root for Sheryl. You can sense her pining for Alto and see her depression. In the TV series to this point she was a bitchy spoiled brat who only seem to chase Alto out of boredom.

True, you never explicitly said character development was removed, indirectly though, I think that some of those things you mentioned which were removed qualifies as character development. Some of those episodes that don't advance the plot are the best character developers (see Mikails episode as an example)

I didn't get a more Hero like sense from Alto, just gender confusion, which I thought was a little much. He is less of a whiner/ sulker for sure though. It seemed odd to me that he could become such a good pilot so quickly, where we saw him steadily improve in the series.

I agree, Sheryl was more likable, human and fleshed out in the movie.

I disagree with anyone that says Ranka's interactions with Alto in the movie make her seem like more of a viable choice. Compared with the screen time Sheryl got, Ranka doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as I am concerned.

As for the drama being covered later in the series, this is the movie, not the series. Just because it happens later in the series doesn't give him license to remove all drama from the first film. He made so many other little changes, he could have introduced some of the later dramatic elements earlier. And don't say it would have been too rushed(like the rest of the movie) because there is no way he will now be able to fit all of those elements into the second movie without it being rushed.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film, but prefer the series.

That's because they entirely cut out her "first dozen eps" where she is little more than a selfish bitchy diva. Of course she's more likeable, because they went straight to "vulnerable doubting herself used-to-be-a-street-urchin" Sheryl. They tossed out her development. Instead of the audience disliking, then liking her over the course of the series, she just starts out as likeable.

I'm betting Ranka doesn't act like such a moron in the later eps/2nd movie this time around, too.

That's because they entirely cut out her "first dozen eps" where she is little more than a selfish bitchy diva. Of course she's more likeable, because they went straight to "vulnerable doubting herself used-to-be-a-street-urchin" Sheryl. They tossed out her development. Instead of the audience disliking, then liking her over the course of the series, she just starts out as likeable.

Hmmm. That is a very good point and it fits even better with my own opinion of the movie...you sir have changed my mind!

Having Sheryl being a diva for 12+ episodes then finally taking the time to explore her is not development. She is doing the same shtick over and over and you know and understand about as much of her as you did after the first episode. It is a lack of development for 12+ episodes and nothing more. I'd say it was not until episode 15 when they finally Sheryl some humanity. I think not giving the audience a connection to such an important character was a mistake.

All of her "this kind of service isn't something I do often" talk throughout the movie helps personify her as a diva if you ask me. I still think she's comes across as more likable in the movie than she does in the TV series regardless.

All of her "this kind of service isn't something I do often" talk throughout the movie helps personify her as a diva if you ask me. I still think she's comes across as more likable in the movie than she does in the TV series regardless.

Ignore Sheryl in the first three episodes of the TV series, and we have film Sheryl. :p

True, you never explicitly said character development was removed, indirectly though, I think that some of those things you mentioned which were removed qualifies as character development. Some of those episodes that don't advance the plot are the best character developers (see Mikails episode as an example)

I didn't get a more Hero like sense from Alto, just gender confusion, which I thought was a little much. He is less of a whiner/ sulker for sure though. It seemed odd to me that he could become such a good pilot so quickly, where we saw him steadily improve in the series.

I disagree with anyone that says Ranka's interactions with Alto in the movie make her seem like more of a viable choice. Compared with the screen time Sheryl got, Ranka doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as I am concerned.

As for the drama being covered later in the series, this is the movie, not the series. Just because it happens later in the series doesn't give him license to remove all drama from the first film. He made so many other little changes, he could have introduced some of the later dramatic elements earlier. And don't say it would have been too rushed(like the rest of the movie) because there is no way he will now be able to fit all of those elements into the second movie without it being rushed.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film, but prefer the series.

Michael is a secondary character. A movie has to focus on the main story. Time spent on character development of a secondary character would be a mistake. Imagine if Star Wars included a 15-20 min side story of Wedge Antillies at the expense of the rest of the movie. If Star Wars was a tv series that might work but not for a movie.

As for Alto feeling more like a hero, this will all matter on perception of certain events and will vary but I will explain my point of view. First would be dashing Sheryl away from several vajra. The look on Sheryl's face and the way he cradled her head after darting into the alley showed her feelings of him as a hero. I smiled when Bera showed up to take Sheryl back. Instead of riding off with her knight in shining armor she is hauled back by her managers android through the sewers. Second was jumping between Ranka and Ozma when the red vajra went to attack, simple act of willing self-sacrifice with no chance of survival.

Ranka did not need as much rebuilding as Alto and Sheryl. When Alto opened up to Ranka on the trolley it showed a pretty strong connection between the two. You have a feeling he probably would not have had that conversation with anyone else. There are two times Ranka thinks about telling Alto about her new life but each time she is haunted by the memory of the kiss Sheryl gave Alto. While Ranka has shown self doubt before these moments are very relatable.

Back to the 'missing drama', you are still trying to compare the first movie of 2-3 to a complete series. This movie covers episodes 1-7 and has more drama than the series did to that point; spies, government cover-ups, distrust between both fleets, connection of Aimo. What drama did the series have at that point? The specific examples you are missing will probably be covered in the second and probably third movie along with more development of the prior drama.

Edited by ATLMYK

The fact that Gallia IV "already happened" IMHO bumps the movie up to covering through ep 14 or so. Everything between ep 7 and Gallia was skippable and won't be in the movie anyways.

Also, the movie's drama took a lot of the elements from late in the series----Sheryl's backstory, Battle Frontier going all-out, heck--Brera! Of course the movie's going to have more drama than the series did at this point, if the movie gets to take all the good stuff from late in the series and move it to the front.

The fact that Gallia IV "already happened" IMHO bumps the movie up to covering through ep 14 or so. Everything between ep 7 and Gallia was skippable and won't be in the movie anyways.

Also, the movie's drama took a lot of the elements from late in the series----Sheryl's backstory, Battle Frontier going all-out, heck--Brera! Of course the movie's going to have more drama than the series did at this point, if the movie gets to take all the good stuff from late in the series and move it to the front.

The only thing that has "already happened" on Gallia 4 was both Ranka and Sheryl were raised there. They also both lost their families there on the attack eleven years ago that haunts Ozma. This happened long before in either movie or series continuity. Nothing on Gallia 4 from episodes 12-14 has happened yet.

Edited by ATLMYK

Michael is a secondary character. A movie has to focus on the main story. Time spent on character development of a secondary character would be a mistake. Imagine if Star Wars included a 15-20 min side story of Wedge Antillies at the expense of the rest of the movie. If Star Wars was a tv series that might work but not for a movie.

As for Alto feeling more like a hero, this will all matter on perception of certain events and will vary but I will explain my point of view. First would be dashing Sheryl away from several vajra. The look on Sheryl's face and the way he cradled her head after darting into the alley showed her feelings of him as a hero. I smiled when Bera showed up to take Sheryl back. Instead of riding off with her knight in shining armor she is hauled back by her managers android through the sewers. Second was jumping between Ranka and Ozma when the red vajra went to attack, simple act of willing self-sacrifice with no chance of survival.

Ranka did not need as much rebuilding as Alto and Sheryl. When Alto opened up to Ranka on the trolley it showed a pretty strong connection between the two. You have a feeling he probably would not have had that conversation with anyone else. There are two times Ranka thinks about telling Alto about her new life but each time she is haunted by the memory of the kiss Sheryl gave Alto. While Ranka has shown self doubt before these moments are very relatable.

Back to the 'missing drama', you are still trying to compare the first movie of 2-3 to a complete series. This movie covers episodes 1-7 and has more drama than the series did to that point; spies, government cover-ups, distrust between both fleets, connection of Aimo. What drama did the series have at that point? The specific examples you are missing will probably be covered in the second and probably third movie along with more development of the prior drama.

Your argument is well written but I find that I still disagree. Perhaps future viewings will change my mind but I didn't feel like the series dragged and as a result I feel the movie seemed rushed. Macross 7 on the other hand...couldn't have dragged its feet any slower.

I conceded to you that the much of the drama of which I spoke was later on and I am aware there will be a new movie, but I can't see them doing justice to all of it in only another two hours while still keeping a coherent plot. More then likely they will just rush through as much as they can just like the first movie.

I would just prefer an all new story set in the frontier timescale. Perhaps a story about how Galaxy became corrupted, to help tighten up the plot in TV Frontier.

FYI, I would love a story about Wedge, stand alone or not..... :D

At least by the time the second movie starts, they'll have established the relationships between the main three characters. That will leave room for my more loved characters to possibly get some front-line action time! Wewt!

And Wedge was indestructible as a pilot... it's too bad he didn't get any recognition for it. "Good shot, Red 2!"

It really doesn't, honestly. Back in 2008, we provided links because it was easier and people could find it without searching the net. But my my my, how things have changed in 2 years. If you go to Google and search for "Macross Frontier movie download" or "torrent" or "megaupload", it will list torrents, direct download links, etc. Or even going to /rs/ on 4chan will get you where you need to go. So the need for staff to provide you guys with links isn't a priority anymore, unless it is unique that people might not find it. Despite Google's need to index everything (that's a topic for some place else), we really don't need to list links because most of it can be done by using Google. We'll still provide links, but honestly, searching via Google is faster.

I have been working on my own encodes of the movie this past week, I'm harcoding thora's subs to a PS3/XBOX360 compatible MP4, would it be ok to share the links here after I upload the file somewhere? I have also looked into just sumbitting a torrent to multiple trackers but my upload speed is very limited and would need a lot of help seeding, let me know.

I have been working on my own encodes of the movie this past week, I'm harcoding thora's subs to a PS3/XBOX360 compatible MP4, would it be ok to share the links here after I upload the file somewhere? I have also looked into just sumbitting a torrent to multiple trackers but my upload speed is very limited and would need a lot of help seeding, let me know.

You would certainly be my hero. I've been trying to convert several of the subbed files to watch on my PS3 and haven't had any luck.

You know what I think would be even MORE useful? A tutorial on how to hardsub or softsub our own DVD/BD's.

As soon as I can get some disposable income, I want to buy Macross BD's. However, I want to be able to rip the BD, hard or soft sub them, then burn it back onto a blank BD.... WITHOUT any loss of picture quality. Is this possible?

Ok, here we go:

Macross Frontier The False Diva 720P Hardcoded PS3/XBOX360 compatible MP4.

THORA subs, translation by msubs.

Video: 1280x720, 23.976 fps, x264, 4433 Kbps 2-pass bitrate encode from original BD video source.

Audio: Stereo AAC 224 kbps from lossless.

What I did:

I tried to make the highest quality file out of the compatibility limitations of the playback devices, stereo only sound for XBOX, and under 4GB (FAT32) in size for PS3 removable media. I didn't use THORA's video rip because there's a bad frame after alto and sheryl fall from that little cliff on the forrest, I know, not a big deal, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to things like that.

I also did some minor editing to THORA's sub file, changed text from "Songstress" in the name to "Diva" which I read here it's supossed to be the official english name of the movie. Resized and re-aligned all of the song lyrics on top of the screen, IMO in the original release the fonts were way too big and distracting, currently they are still very much readable but don't take as much space.

I rewatched the movie as I was uploading the files for quality, seemed quite good to me, please provide feedback, and confirmation that it plays ok on XBOX360 as I only have a PS3.

All credit goes to the original content posters.

Links:

http://www.fileserve.com/file/9peYzQz

http://www.fileserve.com/file/mwFVacE

http://www.fileserve.com/file/u3tBbFh

http://www.fileserve.com/file/3udqKck

http://www.fileserve.com/file/nwUbZP2

PS: I made a high quality 1080P version earlier this week with 5.1 AAC sound @ 640kbps for my collection which I'm willing to upload if there's enough interest, it's a big file.

Any chance of a torrent release Tobi54? Just that downloading those five links is going to take quite a long time for me.

I could definetly do that, as a matter of fact I even registered on TPB earlier in the week, the problem is that my up speed is pretty low, and most likely it'll take you less time to get them from the direct download links I posted, I'll go ahead and set up the torrent anyway to see how it goes. I'll link it up as soon as it's done.