Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

Okay I pre-ordered mine, but now I am reading that they don't have English subtitles. Does this mean I have to upload this movie onto a fansubber website to know what they're saying. Aw comon Kawamorii knows that there are western fans of his works to allow subtitles for every language whether it be english, Cantonese, Spanish, French, German, and so on. I wish on of those anime production companies would get off the asses and license this francise, with the exception of ADV. :(

Congratulations VF because you are now going to have an absolutely awesome piece of animation to watch. Good job!.... but in what sort of drug induced, gubaba juice fuelled whack dream state did you hear that it would be subtitled? When has ANYTHING from Mac F been subtitled? Everyone can bitch and complain until the cows come home, but subtitles aint happening anytime soon. The business model for the show was based on JPN audience only - thats who its for - and English subs are of zero use to them.

But regardless, at least you are supporting the franchise. Well done!

When has ANYTHING from Mac F been subtitled?

The fansubbers, mannnn!

And thanks to the enterprising Pirates of The China Seas & its allies in HK, Malaysia & Singapore, who leeched the fansubbing community by profiteering from *cough*cough* legal sales (in SE Asia, China & HK anyway) in these uncharted territories out of bound from Japanese IP & copyright laws.

Everyone can bitch and complain until the cows come home, but subtitles aint happening anytime soon.

It will, I'm betting by November, the Mac F the Movie DVD with English / Mandarin / Thai barely intelligible subtitles hitting the HK, China & South East Asian market soon!

Pre-ordered mine from NCSX. I may not understand Japanese, but when has that ever stopped me before? By the way is the game packed with it a a full game or similar to Ace Frontier, and then later on well get a more complete game like Ultimate?

Congratulations VF because you are now going to have an absolutely awesome piece of animation to watch. Good job!.... but in what sort of drug induced, gubaba juice fuelled whack dream state did you hear that it would be subtitled? When has ANYTHING from Mac F been subtitled? Everyone can bitch and complain until the cows come home, but subtitles aint happening anytime soon. The business model for the show was based on JPN audience only - thats who its for - and English subs are of zero use to them.

But regardless, at least you are supporting the franchise. Well done!

I always say support the official products whenever possible but I'm sure Big West isn't ignorant of it's Western fans who have supported Macross just as much or more than Eastern ones. To pretend there's not a market in the U.S. especially when Macross products sell better here is pretty weird. BW can't really hide behind "well this is a Japanese only release" when it finally hits the net it'll be a hot illegal download. You're going to have bootleg copies but if English subtitles were added it be a good gesture to their Western supporters. So either BW wants to avoid a legal battle with HG, too cheap to add subtitles, or maybe their in bed with the bootleggers are the only reasons I see for not having subs.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

By the way is the game packed with it a a full game or similar to Ace Frontier, and then later on well get a more complete game like Ultimate?

We still don't know for sure. Chances are it probably won't have as much content as MUF, though it does appear to be more than just a demo. More than likely it's somewhere in between. There's a thread on it in the games section here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33557&st=0

Ain't it nice?

I came across Macross 7 the Galaxy is Calling Me in a Game Stop in the Galleria in Philadelphia when I was waiting for the Auto Show to open up. So it's possible, jhust possible like miraculous that someone would give it up for other to see.

I always say support the official products whenever possible but I'm sure Big West isn't ignorant of it's Western fans who have supported Macross just as much or more than Eastern ones. To pretend there's not a market in the U.S. especially when Macross products sell better here is pretty weird. BW can't really hide behind "well this is a Japanese only release" when it finally hits the net it'll be a hot illegal download. You're going to have bootleg copies but if English subtitles were added it be a good gesture to their Western supporters. So either BW wants to avoid a legal battle with HG, too cheap to add subtitles, or maybe their in bed with the bootleggers are the only reasons I see for not having subs.

All the more reason to pettion Big West to enter negotiations with any anime distribution companies that license anime that we watch over here in the U.S. and Canada too companies Like Bandai Entertainment, Manga, VIZ Media, but more leaning on Bandai considering that Bandai Japan has been working with them in the past; ie, Bandai Visual. And if theere is this so called legal issue with HG, may I remind you all that Manga Entertainment had licensed and released Macross plus vol. 1-4, and Macross Plus thte Movie 5 that that I own, and I haven heard a peep about that from HG.

Plus the series was License to HG through Tatsunoko, which has lost it's rights to the Macross francise if I'm correct, this means B.W's can give Licensing rights to any company in the west wishing to profit from Macross 7 to Macross 0 to Macross Frontier. Take a look at another Kawamori production that hit US television released by Bandai Entertainment and aired on Adult Swim and was featured in movie theatres hrough Fathom events Eureka Seven. Yeah I put a lot of thought into this, that I can smell my brain smoking. :)

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

I came across Macross 7 the Galaxy is Calling Me in a Game Stop in the Galleria in Philadelphia when I was waiting for the Auto Show to open up. So it's possible, jhust possible like miraculous that someone would give it up for other to see.

You know. I have Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling Me on a vcd, and it has a official bigwest sticker if I remember correctly. It's also subbed in english....very good. To good to be bootleg imho.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

You know. I have Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling Me on a vcd, and it has a official bigwest sticker if I remember correctly. It's also subbed in english....very good. To good to be bootleg imho.

Probably taken from the Central Anime fansubs. As far as I know, no Macross stuff has ever been legally released on VCD.

Probably taken from the Central Anime fansubs. As far as I know, no Macross stuff has ever been legally released on VCD.

I got it about 10 years ago iirc. It looks legit. The Packaging is in Japanese, the only english is the subbs.

One minor thing, there's absolutely no way you can realistically believe that any Macross product sells better imported to the U.S. than it does in Japan. Not even toys, there will always inherently be a bigger domestic (Japanese) market. As for their reasoning, it's purely a rational, if not unrealistic in this case, reason. If they include English subs, they inherently lower their bargaining power when & if it comes time for a U.S. distirbuter to license any given product. Mind you releases like Haruhi have shown this to be little more than paranoia, it still stands that from a theoretical standpoint, they think they won't make as much money on licensing a product, if they already include that market in their initial product.

Just to play devil's advocate...

It is not necessarily true that anime in the US never outsells the domestic Japanese market.

Something grabbed my attention the other day. The Cowboy Bebop movie would never have been produced were it not for the demand in the overseas market. The TV show itself was not even ever broadcast in its entirety on terrestrial Japanese television, with only about half of the 26 episodes actually aired, the rest were only shown sporadically on cable. Meanwhile, Adult Swim gave it an entire ten-year run, constantly bringing new fans. Even Samurai Champloo was primarily designed for the foreign market -- Shinichi Watanabe admitted that he knew from the start it would be unpopular among Japanese otaku. And guess what? The show is not available on Blu-Ray here. If you happen to be a Japanese fan and want to watch it in HD, you have to import the US release! Howzat for irony? :p

You make it sound like Cowboy Bebop lost its rating or something, and had its TV run cut, when in actuality, its content was deemed unsuitable for its regular broadcast slot, which is why the entire series wasn't shown on (Japanese) TV. Also, there's no bluray release of Bebop anywhere, who told you it was ever released in HD?

Edited by Keith

I have that disc too. I believe the back side of the disc is gold(not those cheap type[i have other bootleg anime disc in gold, but the quality of the gold is too obvious]) in color. Yeah too good to be bootleg. :lol:

You make it sound like Cowboy Bebop lost its rating or something, and had its TV run cut, when in actuality, its content was deemed unsuitable for its regular broadcast slot, which is why the entire series wasn't shown on (Japanese) TV.

I didn't mean that lack of popularity led to the episodes being omitted, rather that this restricted the spread of popularity that the show could have enjoyed. It was still quite successful but there are reasons to assume it is probably more popular in the US right now.

Incidentally, Samurai Champloo actually did have its TV run cut.

If it wasn't for HG, who knows how many Macross projects could have been funded had the international market been taken into consideration. Remember Kawamori's plans for a live action movie?

Also, there's no bluray release of Bebop anywhere, who told you it was ever released in HD?

I was actually talking about Samurai Champloo there.

I have that disc too. I believe the back side of the disc is gold(not those cheap type[i have other bootleg anime disc in gold, but the quality of the gold is too obvious]) in color. Yeah too good to be bootleg. :lol:

We need scans. This thing literally sounds too good to believe.

All the more reason to pettion Big West to enter negotiations with any anime distribution companies that license anime that we watch over here in the U.S. and Canada too companies Like Bandai Entertainment, Manga, VIZ Media, but more leaning on Bandai considering that Bandai Japan has been working with them in the past; ie, Bandai Visual. And if theere is this so called legal issue with HG, may I remind you all that Manga Entertainment had licensed and released Macross plus vol. 1-4, and Macross Plus thte Movie 5 that that I own, and I haven heard a peep about that from HG.

Plus the series was License to HG through Tatsunoko, which has lost it's rights to the Macross francise if I'm correct, this means B.W's can give Licensing rights to any company in the west wishing to profit from Macross 7 to Macross 0 to Macross Frontier. Take a look at another Kawamori production that hit US television released by Bandai Entertainment and aired on Adult Swim and was featured in movie theatres hrough Fathom events Eureka Seven. Yeah I put a lot of thought into this, that I can smell my brain smoking. :)

HG (through Tatsunoko Pro.) has rest of the world rights (except Asia but somehow RT landed in China in the 90's) to the original SDF Macross tv series. However they have no rights to any Macross derivative or sequel produced by Big West. Tats and HG never lost rights to the original series but they have no claim to any new Macross project.

Now Manga who did produce the only English adaption of Macross Plus has been distributing RT on their VOD and You Tube services. The RT store has sold the entire Mac Plus series on their site.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I got it about 10 years ago iirc. It looks legit. The Packaging is in Japanese, the only english is the subbs.

Even having Japanese packaging and a legit appearance, doesn't make it legit.

For example there's (not posting company name), who make rather professional CD releases. The only changes are an addition of their logo to the CD artwork, and that the booklet is scanned and printed or high-resolution copier copied. In short, the only way you'd know that it wasn't legit, is the lack of holographic stickers, the general subdued colour tones, and the lack of embossing and shiny gold/silver/whatver colours in the booklet.

I've also picked up legitimate Korean rereleases of Japanese CDs. In addition to having inserts in Korean translating the tracks, and songs (as everything else is 100% the same as the original releases), there is an additional "Not for sale in Japan", in English, Korean and Japanese on the back of the CD - usually near the bar code.

Even having Japanese packaging and a legit appearance, doesn't make it legit.

For example there's (not posting company name), who make rather professional CD releases. The only changes are an addition of their logo to the CD artwork, and that the booklet is scanned and printed or high-resolution copier copied. In short, the only way you'd know that it wasn't legit, is the lack of holographic stickers, the general subdued colour tones, and the lack of embossing and shiny gold/silver/whatver colours in the booklet.

I've also picked up legitimate Korean rereleases of Japanese CDs. In addition to having inserts in Korean translating the tracks, and songs (as everything else is 100% the same as the original releases), there is an additional "Not for sale in Japan", in English, Korean and Japanese on the back of the CD - usually near the bar code.

Well as I said. It's a pretty damn good bootleg then. I wish the other Macross series were done in this fashion. Let me see... It says it's from "DSI Video" "Dong Seng International LTD"

Rule # 1 for spotting a bootleg: If it's got English & Chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg! Well, unless it's the HK release of 2.22 & Summer wars on bluray, those actually are legit.

Rule #2: If it's R1 or 0, and has English & chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg! VCD'd of course didn't have regioncoding, but the compression is so bad on those things, it'd be hard to say any are truly "good" quality.

Edited by Keith

Rule # 1 for spotting a bootleg: If it's got English & Chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg! Well, unless it's the HK release of 2.22 & Summer wars on bluray, those actually are legit.

Rule #2: If it's R1 or 0, and has English & chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg! VCD'd of course didn't have regioncoding, but the compression is so bad on those things, it'd be hard to say any are truly "good" quality.

Rule #3: If it's made by a Chinese company (like "Dong Seng International"), it's a bootleg! The Mac7 movie would have to be from Bandai Visual to be legit.

As someone who collected waaaaay too many VCDs back in the day I can say with authority that they are, more often than not, bootlegs. Even if they are very well done bootlegs - since China never signed onto the international copyright treaty (exact name escapes me at the moment) lots of bootleggers try to make their stuff look as legit as possible since in their territory there is no difference.

There were a FEW titles that were licensed - but these were normally way more expensive.

Doesnt make your VCD any less of a find though! lol.

Another problem is that (as of 2002) HG owns the trademark to the name "Macross" (at least in the US) as it applies to animation and books, so if there were to be a domestic US release, it'd have to be named something different, or a deal would have to be worked out with HG to use it. I'm pretty sure Big West wants nothing to do with HG at this point and would prefer to just ignore them, Western fan base be damned.

Still though, I really can't understand why they can't include English subs on these Blu-rays and DVDs. It's not stopping me from buying them, but I find it hilarious that the MacF TV series Blu-ray menus are entirely in English.

Edited by sdf2501

Think we could we possibly get rid of "the" and "edition" in the title? Maybe I'm the only one this has happened to, but when I saw "the NOT subtitled edition" I came racing into this thread thinking of the possibility that there might be more than one edition of the movie....

Personally, I'm all in favor of a stickied "nothing Macross is going to be officially subbed in English ever again so long as HG exists, deal with it---and no, we don't know when it's coming out on DVD nor when the next trailer will be released" thread at the top of every forum.

Rule #3: If it's made by a Chinese company (like "Dong Seng International"), it's a bootleg! The Mac7 movie would have to be from Bandai Visual to be legit.

Yeah.... :ph34r:

Still pretty damn good boot though.

Some screen caps from the copy.

post-351-128358086752_thumb.jpg post-351-128358088363_thumb.jpg post-351-128358089677_thumb.jpg

post-351-128358091155_thumb.jpg post-351-128358092862_thumb.jpg post-351-12835809471_thumb.jpg

post-351-128358096999_thumb.jpg post-351-128358098408_thumb.jpg post-351-128358100132_thumb.jpg

post-351-128358101306_thumb.jpg post-351-128358102487_thumb.jpg post-351-128358103711_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Yeah.... ph34r.gif

post-351-128358086752_thumb.jpg post-351-128358088363_thumb.jpg post-351-128358089677_thumb.jpg

post-351-128358091155_thumb.jpg post-351-128358092862_thumb.jpg post-351-12835809471_thumb.jpg

post-351-128358096999_thumb.jpg post-351-128358098408_thumb.jpg post-351-128358100132_thumb.jpg

post-351-128358101306_thumb.jpg post-351-128358102487_thumb.jpg post-351-128358103711_thumb.jpg

You sir, are in serious need of a copy of the recent Macross 7 remaster, trust me when I say that looks absolutely nothing like a good quality copy.

Yeah.... :ph34r:

Thanks for the pics. Yeah, those subtitles are from the Central Anime/PsyCorps scripts all right. I have those on VHS. Pirates trying to pass off someone else's work as their own. Oh well, still nice to have, I guess. I still would have liked to see scans or pics of the packaging, though.