Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

Since Movie 2 comes out in October, at least we all know that this first movie comes out before that, at least I'm more that 90% sure of that. Watch one ep. of Frontier a week, and it'll be out before the end.

And rips are for losers who can't go out and buy the real thing. :lol:

and buying legit copies is for squares who have sold out to The Man. :p

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!

Edited by anime52k8

and buying lagit copies is for squares who have sold out to The Man. :p

What's a lagit copy? Don't you mean legit - as in legitimate?

Poor spelling that nullifies the meaning aside, you like Macross? You like to watch more of it? Pay for it.

More money paid to the people producing Macross = more Macross gets made.

Poor spelling that nullifies the meaning aside, you like Macross? You like to watch more of it? Pay for it.

But, for the simple fact that in many areas, Macross is unavailable, due to everybody's favorite company, Harmony Gold.

Nice try.

well Mr Typo Nazi, if I get a copy without paying for it, I retain what meager money I do have while still getting to watch Macross. And if as a result of not paying for a copy less Macross gets made, then I'll be less compelled in the future to spend money I don't have on Macross merchandise in the future, and then I'll be able to eat food that doesn't come in cardboard and Styrofoam packaging every once in a while. ^_^

Eating > Macross

But if you've got so much disposable income that paying asinine R2 DVD prices (plus international shipping costs) for a movie that will be watched all of one time (and I won't even be watching the DVD I bought since it doesn't have subtitles) sounds perfectly reasonable to you, Good for you. maybe you could buy me a copy with all your infinite wealth Mr Rockefeller. :p

:edit:

Ok, let me just preemptively say that the preceding contains lots of sarcasm for those of you who have no idea what sarcasm or jokes are (see, more sarcasm right there)

but speaking seriously; I like Macross and I want to support the franchise, but only if I'm getting a good value in the process. I've bought plenty of Macross toys and merchandise before, because what I got for the money was a good value. like I said, there's about a 99% chance that I'll watch the Frontier movie once and never watch it again, and I that one viewing wouldn't even be from the DVD because it doesn't have subtitles. In that case buying the DVD would do nothing for me but let me say that I took the moral high ground and supported the cause. As someone who doesn't have a lot of disposable income (unemployed full time student), if I'm going to be making a charitable donation to something (which is all buying the DVD would be) there are a hell of a lot of causes I'd rather donate to than a cartoon series from the 80's.

Edited by anime52k8

like I said, there's about a 99% chance that I'll watch the Frontier movie once and never watch it again, and I that one viewing wouldn't even be from the DVD because it doesn't have subtitles. In that case buying the DVD would do nothing for me

Exactly.

I'm perfectly willing to pay and buy Macross DVDs and Blu-Rays and support the legitimate owners. (Hell I bought all the Macross DVDs that were released in France, even the crappy Manga Video editions of Macross II and Plus).

The is no way in hell however that I will pay a fortune to buy some Japanese Blu-Ray of Macross Frontier that :

A. Don't have any subtitles in a langage I can understand.

B. I wouldn't be able to read anyway since Europe does not have the same region coding.

I'm sorry but I see no reason why we should "support the original creators" by importing stuff from Japan if we don't speak any Japanese. It's not our fault or responsibility that Macross can't get out of Japan and I'm sure a lot of us would LOVE to buy official domestic DVD/Blu Ray release of Frontier, Zero and so on...

Now if Bandai decided to go the Gundam Unicorn way with the Frontier movie and release a region free Blu-Ray that would also include subtiles in languages such English and French, I'd be perfectly willing to buy it full price from Japan.

Unfortunately I believe we all know how unlikely this it to happen :(

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

[...]

I'm perfectly willing to pay and buy Macross DVDs and Blu-Rays and support the legitimate owners. (Hell I bought all the Macross DVDs that were released in France, even the crappy Manga Video editions of Macross II and Plus).

[...]

And God knows how crappy they are... :ph34r: Especially for Macross II... :ph34r::ph34r:

And God knows how crappy they are... :ph34r: Especially for Macross II... :ph34r::ph34r:

Believe it or not, the french edition was even worse that the US/UK one... since they somehow decided to split the "Movie Edition" over two side of double-sided DVD :ph34r:

There was actually another editor (the one who had released Macross on VHS) who also published Macross II on DVD roughly at the same time as Manga Video, but it was even worst because their release didn't have any kind of subtitles because of some copyright issues due to Manga Video :unsure:

-Sergorn

Edit : And I've just realised you're french too judging from your signature, so I guess you already know that :D

Edited by Sergorn

well Mr Typo Nazi,

How does pointing out an error that confuses your intended meaning prompt malicious defamation? What's most laughable is that a spell checker is only a click or two away.

The next time you post, please check your ego at the door, thank you.

But if you've got so much disposable income that paying asinine R2 DVD prices (plus international shipping costs)

You assume too much. First, Japanese domestic releases are priced to cover the cost of production. Production costs are different in other R2 countries - invariably, they are lower outside of Japan. Second, look closely to the left of this post. Do you see the from section? 日本 = Japan. ;)

Edited by sketchley

Exactly.

The is no way in hell however that I will pay a fortune to buy some Japanese Blu-Ray of Macross Frontier that :

Denial?

It's not our fault or responsibility

Puh-lease. It is your responsibility, as you're enjoying entertainment made in Japan, by Japanese, for Japanese. Why not try getting over the instant-gratification sense-of-entitlement culture you're finding yourself in, and put some labour into getting Macross available in your area, in the language of your preference. Ie: start your own anime import and translation company.

Honestly, people, using Harmony Gold is a lame excuse.

Now, there are other options to buying that still provide the creators with a finiancial incentive. Renting is an option. Purchasing related products is another option (ie Macross Chronicle, Yamato toys, Hasegawa models, etc.).

In the end, you can't call yourself a fan if you're not $upporting it in some way, $hape or form.

Edited by sketchley

Denial?

Denial of what ?

What I am supposed to do with a Blu Ray Disc that I couldn't even read because of regional coding ? A coaster ?

Puh-lease. It is your responsibility, as you're enjoying entertainment made in Japan, by Japanese, for Japanese. Why not try getting over the instant-gratification sense-of-entitlement culture you're finding yourself in, and put some labour into getting Macross available in your area, in the language of your preference. Ie: start your own anime import and translation company.

Honestly, people, using Harmony Gold is a lame excuse.

Puh-lease. (See ? I can use a silly condescending tone as well)

You ARE kidding, right ? Or just trolling maybe. :unsure:

Yo do realize that any Macross related rights and licensing outside of Japan are for all intend and purpose frozen because of the HG legal issues, and that even Bandai themselves could not self publish Macross Frontier outside of Japan even if they wanted to and admitted so themselves ?

Until this situation is resolved either in or out of court, you can start any anime importa/translation company you want, that still won't get a legitimate license and release outside of Japan :rolleyes:

Now, there are other options to buying that still provide the creators with a finiancial incentive. Renting is an option. Purchasing related products is another option (ie Macross Chronicle, Yamato toys, Hasegawa models, etc.).

I'd love to buy books like Macross Chronicles or the Macross the First manga volumes too (like I bought well... the french edition of Macross 7 Trash ten years ago)... but you know what ? It's in Japanese. Gosh. Yeah sorry but no I'm not in the habit of buying stuff that has no use to me since I can't understand it.

As for toys and models, I have no interest in that kind of stuff - sorry if I don't force myself to buy anything with the name Macross on it because I'm a "fan". :ph34r:

You are just ridiculous. Again this is NOT our fault or reponsibility of Macross is blocked out of Japan. I'm sure most of us would be very happy to spend money on domestic releases of all Macross-related stuff. But heh, if Big West and Bandai start adding english subs to their Japanese release (take a hint from Unicorn guys, please), I'll be happy to oblige. As such since they obviously don't care about potential customers outside of Japan, well sorry if I prefer to keep my money. It's their loss.

But hey, if you follow your "logic" maybe I should just have bought a plane ticket and got to Japan just to see the Macross Frontier movie. Bah.

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

What I am supposed to do with a Blu Ray Disc that I couldn't even read because of regional coding ? A coaster ?

Again, stop with the assumptions. Japanese DVDs are region 2. Japanese BluRays are region A/1. Totally different zones. Also, you could get a region free player.

Anyhow, if you take something without paying for it, you're a thief; and definitely not a fan. Any attempts to justify stealing are just idiocy, unless if you're in certain political philosophies, and even then, it's only to justify things fundamental to living (ie food and shelter).

Until this situation is resolved either in or out of court,

Now you're understanding my point. As in: you make an anime import and translation company, and you settle the legal limbo once and for all. That, or you make the copyright laws of your area of residence less draconian.

Macross is blocked out of Japan.

But it's not. See Gubaba's post above.

Edited by sketchley

Sergorn, I think you're walking into a trap. Sketchley is probably only going to tell you that it is your responsibility to learn Japanese, or else you're not a big enough fan. Just shrug and walk away...

Sketchley, OK, you play your part in the fandom both off and on this site, but I think your general attitude could often be a little more forgiving. We all get stressed out at times, but my impression is that you seem to want everybody to have identical points of view as yourself. Where's the fun in that? Let us just learn off our differences and get on. I cannot say that you are lucky to live in Japan and speak Japanese etc., because I know the chances are that you will respond with a debunking of "luck", and a championing of "effort". Do not misjudge others by assuming that they are not making as much effort in life as you. Do you realize that you have just told someone to make a major life change? We all have our priorities, things to do, and tasks to fulfill, and our time spent on Japanese cartoons from the 1980s varies from individual to individual, some may deal with it professionally, others in their spare time. Everyone decides how to enjoy it as they wish. Please do not ruin what is essentially leisure time for most of the people here by causing more stress for them.

Let us just try to enjoy Macross. That's why we're here.

Anyway. As for the Frontier movie, I might get the DVD/Blu-Ray when/if it comes out, I have not decided yet.

The issue for me is that I really want to see the detail of the ships and stuff (much more intricate than the TV show), but since the movie is mostly boring (and poorly-drawn) Alto rolling around in the grass with boring Sheryl and boring boring boring argh... I don't know if it'll be worth the outrageous price it will surely command.

I think any added extras, like storyboards and stuff (in proper book form, like the DYRL remaster, not crappy on-screen images) with be the decider for me. Then again, if it just comes with something silly like an Ai-kun phone strap, then forget it. An extra one or two discs of production stuff, interviews, etc, would be great.

Kresphy, thanks for the scoop, as usual!

OK, so here we have a new book of designs. The note attached on the page reads: "Please note that the mecha designs are not included".

Well... so much for that, then. :p

Is it official that it's released in October? I thought kresphy just pulled an April Fools' joke when he posted that, because he did say "April Fools" at the end of his post. Any official sites or publications indicating such?

The second movie? Who knows. I certainly haven't been able to find any source of that info. Just to clear up any confusion, the "Kresphy scoop" in my last post was referring to the book.

The second movie? Who knows. I certainly haven't been able to find any source of that info. Just to clear up any confusion, the "Kresphy scoop" in my last post was referring to the book.

Actually I just read this thread after a while now, and it's one page back where there were people thinking that October 10 was the release date of the second movie based on kresphy's joke. And it appeared again on this page, so I thought it should be cleared up.

Wow, didn't know this thread was going to be a thread about stealing and a question of fansom. For those of us here in the barren Macross free zone, I try to keep a balance. I buy tons of Macross items all the time. However, with the DVD/Blu-Ray stuff, sometimes it's not practical for all of us. That said, I have DVDs of Macross 7 that aren't the R2 originals. Am I gonna track those down? No, not unless there is a re-release with official english subs. On the flipside of that, I have about half of the BR of Macross Frontier and I have them downloaded with the subs. I can understand both sides, that's why there should be a balance. The franchise definitely gets it's money from me in things that I support.