Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

Dang......surprising considering how into all-things-Japanese the Taiwanese are.

Not surprising. Taiwanese have very little in terms of long term cultural memory. Also, anime and manga that sell well in the US and Japan don't necessarily carry well in Taiwan. I can run through a loooong list of anime starting from the 90s that have seen only a limited release in Taiwan.

Did anyone grab the CM Ranka album?

I think its really cute and am personally a fan of the Daruma Seminar jingle.

I can imagine that the songs, most being CM jingles, must seem a bit strange if you havent seen the movie though ^^;

Mine is in the mail some where.

Is Daruma Seminar supposed to be an after-school learning center?

New movie guidebook (?), info here: http://anime.webnt.jp/nt-news/?detail=1653

20091228184715hotnews4b387ea3ea9455.jpg

Looks like a booklet bundled with Feb copy of NewType magazine.

Did anyone grab the CM Ranka album?

I can imagine that the songs, most being CM jingles, must seem a bit strange if you havent seen the movie though ^^;

It finally arrived today. Kind of pricey for a CD of jingles, but still an worthy addition to any Macross collection.

Yes, the songs are really cute (even heartwarming) especially for someone who grew up in the East Asian cultures.

Entrance-exam tutorial centers, construction site gigs, convenience store promo, I felt for Ranka's bittersweet plight to stardom.

Mine is in the mail some where.

Is Daruma Seminar supposed to be an after-school learning center?

I think Nanoplasm just answered your question, hahaha.

Yes its one of several gigs she does on her way up the ladder of stardom to her first real debut. In the Daruma Seminar CM she is actually wearing a big Daruma costume, hehehehe.

OMFG...nosebleed.gif

David's going to have a f-ing heart attack when he sees this.

Showed those around to some of my friends, and had a CAN'T UNSEE moment when my friend Saori ("BlackRose" here on MW) pointed out that with her hair down and without her glasses Grace looks suspiciously like a female version of Alto. :wacko:

Showed those around to some of my friends, and had a CAN'T UNSEE moment when my friend Saori ("BlackRose" here on MW) pointed out that with her hair down and without her glasses Grace looks suspiciously like a female version of Alto. :wacko:

you know, now that you mention it, I can see totally see that. and I'm ok with it. ^_^

OMFG...nosebleed.gif

David's going to have a f-ing heart attack when he sees this.

C'mon, they are animated bionic boobs. :blink:

That's like twice removed from the real thing! :lol:

So Grace's modesty is Nightmare & Despair are the first to be sacrificed in the name of fan service!

Edited by nanoplasm

C'mon, they are animated bionic boobs. :blink:

That's like twice removed from the real thing! :lol:

So Grace's modesty is Nightmare & Despair are the first to be sacrificed in the name of fan service!

LOL :lol:

And I can imagine worse things to be sacrificed for.

Consider me weird if you want, but I actually prefer the flightsuit.

Anyways---hair down is far more interesting than no glasses. :)

PS--isn't the term "female Alto" redundant? :D

PPS---is that pretty much the entire movie there? That's practically her only scene. Hope her role in the next one's bigger. (being the main villain at the end, it's kind of required)

To be honest, I like the more traditional Grace better. No glasses and undone hair just make her look like your average teen harem character. A sporty one even.

"Did anyone grab the CM Ranka album?

I can imagine that the songs, most being CM jingles, must seem a bit strange if you havent seen the movie though ^^;"

I'm rather fond of "Starlight Natto". They are rather cute, and "Sou da yo" is easily one of the better slow Ranka songs out there. Shame it's mostly jingles though after the near full album they gave Sheryl (even if most of the songs were sort of repetitive on that one).

is it just me or is too much fan service in frontier kind of ruin the macross feel? wheres the hard hitting war and the struggles with the characters that hits them on the emotional side aswell as the physical,were is the characters that we like that die in a second?

Im not condemning the fan service,I just feel like some parts in these new series/movies are sculpted to habour fan service. Its alright,but frontier kind of goes abit overboard with it compared to the previous series. I just feel like the story is taking a back seat to a pair of sheryls panties.

is it just me or is too much fan service in frontier kind of ruin the macross feel? wheres the hard hitting war and the struggles with the characters that hits them on the emotional side aswell as the physical,were is the characters that we like that die in a second?

Im not condemning the fan service,I just feel like some parts in these new series/movies are sculpted to habour fan service. Its alright,but frontier kind of goes abit overboard with it compared to the previous series. I just feel like the story is taking a back seat to a pair of sheryls panties.

Funny... I was thinking along similar lines last night about the series. Basically, I had asked myself "why do I feel that I can't introduce people to Macross using Macross F?" And the answer was that it reinforced too many negative stereotypes about otaku with the quoted content.

Sadly, the only Macross I concluded would be good to introduce people to Macross was the original TV series. But as that show is dated...

I prefer the hair up and glasses too.

I'm gonna have to agree with you there. As much as it's nice to see her without clothes...there's just something about a hot chick with glasses and her hair arranged neatly.

Ditto on that, and her hair looks much more blue here than purple.. if it weren't for the chesticles, I would've thought that WAS Alto. :blink:

Really.. she looks more like a cross between Grace, and that weird guy Foo-foo-head met with in that restaurant.. the eyes just don't look anything like her.. it's like they're too big. I wonder if this shot is mid-change between different external appearances. The hair and glasses do make a difference, but even with those changed, that doesn't look like her face.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought her actual face was different, and it wasn't just the hair and glasses. (I didn't say anything for fear of people thinking I was nuts)

I'd say the eyes (especially the upper outline), nose, and mouth are all different. General shape of the face/jaw is the same, but the tip of the nose doesn't angle up, her brows are different at the inner corners, and the mouth is just totally different (even ignoring lack of lipstick). Maybe the same people who did episode 8 did Grace in the movie...

Funny... I was thinking along similar lines last night about the series. Basically, I had asked myself "why do I feel that I can't introduce people to Macross using Macross F?" And the answer was that it reinforced too many negative stereotypes about otaku with the quoted content.

Sadly, the only Macross I concluded would be good to introduce people to Macross was the original TV series. But as that show is dated...

I think Macross Plus is not a bad place to start. It has an intelligent storyline that I feel people who don't generally watch anime can relate to better than some of the other Macross series. And its cinematography is a beauty to behold.

Can't wait to watch the Frontier movie to form my own opinion on it. I hope that they don't go overboard on the "fan service"

I just feel like some parts in these new series/movies are sculpted to habour fan service. Its alright,but frontier kind of goes abit overboard with it compared to the previous series. I just feel like the story is taking a back seat to a pair of sheryls panties.

The main cast acts more like a high school harem comedy with all the fanservice and cliches attached. But I guess this is what current otaku audiences expect and want. MF is commerically succesfull so we may see more of it in the movies. I can live with it, as Macross as franchise is renewed by MF and it's movies and times will change again.

I agree, unless the people to be introduced are into current anime, MF is likely to raise a few eyebrows. I wish BW/Satelight would take the Bandai approach and make three 90 min movies of SDFM like was done of MS Gundam and Zeta. Reanimate a couple of the weaker parts and streamline the story for introducing new fans.

I think Macross Plus is not a bad place to start. It has an intelligent storyline that I feel people who don't generally watch anime can relate to better than some of the other Macross series. And its cinematography is a beauty to behold.

True, it's a good standalone story. The one thing against me using Plus as an introduction is that it's the edgiest and most serious of the Macross series. It may create wrong expectations. The positive side of Macross doesn't really show untill the resolution of the storyline.

I'm going to disagree with David and Azrael. Clothing issue aside, and even having a glasses fetish, myself, I think Grace looks better without glasses and her hair down.

By the by, I'm not going to complain about the fanservice. Nothing wrong with that. Don't like it, focus on the still-existing plot elements. :p