Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

I think it was supposed to be reminicent of Idol Talk, but more so, very Apollonia/Vanity worthy.

The one element "Idol Talk" and "Pink Monsoon" really have in common is that they could both potentially pass for Madonna songs. Beyond that, I'm not hearing a ton of similarity. I mean, I really like "Idol Talk" (probably my second favorite Mac Plus song), but "Pink Monsoon" is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard May'n sing.

You beat me to it! Yeah thats niiiiice. Damn I wish I knew that there was an event on!

I was going to try to attend the even but it was in the middle of the day no way to get out of work so I didn't try to get tickets. Best places to check for the cool stuff is at cube shops.

When I first started collecting Macross, I thought the movie following the TV series was redundant. Over time, I really have grown to appreciate it.

I love the OVA for Macross Plus, but I think the movie is tighter, and flows better. It's a condensed version of the story, but it is flawless story telling.

What I am curious about, is Macross Plus was only 4 episodes, and Macross Frontier was 25. It will be interesting to see how they condense 25 hours of storytelling into 2 hours. I guess there will have to be sequels.

Bring it on. The more, the better.

I am stoked. Frontier was a lot of fun, and the throwbacks to the original series was very entertaining. Great characters, amazing action, and I just dig the VF-25.

Sometimes, I wish I had a fast forward button. Can't wait for the Frontier Movie (s).

When I first started collecting Macross, I thought the movie following the TV series was redundant. Over time, I really have grown to appreciate it.

I love the OVA for Macross Plus, but I think the movie is tighter, and flows better. It's a condensed version of the story, but it is flawless story telling.

What I am curious about, is Macross Plus was only 4 episodes, and Macross Frontier was 25. It will be interesting to see how they condense 25 hours of storytelling into 2 hours. I guess there will have to be sequels.

Bring it on. The more, the better.

I am stoked. Frontier was a lot of fun, and the throwbacks to the original series was very entertaining. Great characters, amazing action, and I just dig the VF-25.

Sometimes, I wish I had a fast forward button. Can't wait for the Frontier Movie (s).

It's possible, it actually happens a lot in anime to compress a whole season into a feature length movie.

I was thinking since MacF had many rehashes and homages to the original series, maybe this movie will be to MacF that DYRL was to the original series. so some plot changes, but generally keeping the same story, just in a shortened format.

no it doesn't, you don't know why the SDF-1 is being chased by the giant aliens, you don't know why they're trying to get home, you don't know why the Zentradi don't just blast the SDF-1 to oblivion, Hikaru and Roy relationship looks more as the team leader and the wingman instead of the long time friendship so Roy's sacrifice seems meaningless as well as her gf (forgot her name) grief, you don't know why and by who (they don't say who), destroyed earth

you get mindf*cked as to why Max suddenly joins Miria and get macronized, one would think treason, no one gives a f*ck about Kakizaki's death, Gloval who?, Breetai decision to join the SDF-1 against bodolza seems irrational, the culture shock thing is not esplained thoroughly

now DYRL gave more emphasis on Hikaru and Misa relationship for the sake of the resolution, but you don't get explained why Hikaru and Minmei relationship is so intense and why Misa getting in the way keeping Hikaru is important, and much more, the story of SDFM is too long to cram into 90min

now, about all this points I mentioned,you know what's the deal cause we all saw SDFM, but try and show only DYRL to someone who has never seen SDFM and they will go, "that so cool, but I don't get why[insert whatever]?" and you would go "well, in the original show...blah blah"

just in case, I'm not dissing DYRL, I love it, but you have to accept it's story flaw, DYRL was made purely for the Macross fan

on topic, Frontier is going to be several movies so they can have an easier time with the story management

by the way, tornado pack....fugly and unpractical, you'd think that after 50 years of space exploration and technological advances they would make a valk what wouldn't need any kind of add-on

no it doesn't, you don't know why the SDF-1 is being chased by the giant aliens, you don't know why they're trying to get home, you don't know why the Zentradi don't just blast the SDF-1 to oblivion, Hikaru and Roy relationship looks more as the team leader and the wingman instead of the long time friendship so Roy's sacrifice seems meaningless as well as her gf (forgot her name) grief, you don't know why and by who (they don't say who), destroyed earth

you get mindf*cked as to why Max suddenly joins Miria and get macronized, one would think treason, no one gives a f*ck about Kakizaki's death, Gloval who?, Breetai decision to join the SDF-1 against bodolza seems irrational, the culture shock thing is not esplained thoroughly

now DYRL gave more emphasis on Hikaru and Misa relationship for the sake of the resolution, but you don't get explained why Hikaru and Minmei relationship is so intense and why Misa getting in the way keeping Hikaru is important, and much more, the story of SDFM is too long to cram into 90min

now, about all this points I mentioned,you know what's the deal cause we all saw SDFM, but try and show only DYRL to someone who has never seen SDFM and they will go, "that so cool, but I don't get why[insert whatever]?" and you would go "well, in the original show...blah blah"

just in case, I'm not dissing DYRL, I love it, but you have to accept it's story flaw, DYRL was made purely for the Macross fan

on topic, Frontier is going to be several movies so they can have an easier time with the story management

by the way, tornado pack....fugly and unpractical, you'd think that after 50 years of space exploration and technological advances they would make a valk what wouldn't need any kind of add-on

Maybe those points aren't addressed to the depth you would like, but they're all addressed. In fact, some points, like culture shock are addressed better in DYRL than in SDFM. SDFM it's just some song, in DYRL it's a protoculture song that awakens dormant memories in the zentradi. Breetai goes renegade to protect the lost culture and because his boss just blew his fleet to hell. Max ditches the UN SPACY for exactly the same reason Milia ditched the zentradi, impressed by fighting ability and fell in love, SDF-1 has a bunch of miclones and the zentradi are curious, hikaru yells out, "kakizaki!" which is just shy of the little catholic cross he signs in the show, gloval is the captain of the ship, roy tells claudia and misa his relationship to hikaru and hikaru's back story.

DYRL flaw is that half the movie is exposition to cram all the crap in, it effective takes the pacing of the movie to a crawl, lurching to a stop and then starting back up again at several points. The audience's view point gets shifted from character to character and things get explained in an order not consistent with the events being portrayed, that's not the same thing as not being addressed.

I said they didn't throughtly explained culture shock, not that they didn't, we see and understand that the zentradi suddenly turned confused by the song, but why did they react that way and suddenly turned peaceful agains the humans?? doesn't make sense, unless you understand by SDFM that the Zentradi only knew war and culture shock showed them there was more than just war

Miria is never showed to have turned renegade, Max beat her and then goes "so beautiful" why? then Lapamiz folds when Bodolza arrives, nothings gets explained, you know Miria turned renegade cause of SDFM, they are just later showned AFTER minmei is already singing fighting toguether

yes DYRL is great, but it was impossible to explained all the SDFM backstory in 90min, really, all I'm saying, show this to someone who knows nothing about SDFM and that person will have a lot of questions

and why didn't Minmei's song culture shock Bodolza fleet????

Edited by Valkyrie addict

you'd think that after 50 years of space exploration and technological advances they would make a valk what wouldn't need any kind of add-on

Even not for more missiles? I was mind boggled by the 200+ load of the armor pack.

The function of the Tornado Pack is likely similar to the beam guns of the VF-27 and the VF-171EX.

On DYRL, the game shows Hikaru already a Skull squadron member aboard the Prometheus. Not a civilian as in TV.

In this prequel sequence of DYRL the SDF-1 Macross evacuates South Ataria as Earth was about to get the rain of death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPpSfYzUXk...feature=related

Here the Macross did mis-fold but while they were gone they didn't realize Earth was sterilized.

Most of that stuff you're complaining about didn't matter to DYRL's story.

Next you'll be complaining about Bigg's lack of screentime in Star Wars.

Nah, that's the thing. Having seen DYRL before SDFM, I think I can say the DYRL version of the Star Wars trilogy would be more like this:

Star Wars was an ambitious but low budget TV epic that ran 36 episodes in 1975. It was so well received that Lucas will be making a stunning theatrical release in 1977!

Opening scene: leadup to the attack run on the first Death Star, explaining that the Rebellion is fighting the Empire. Darth Vader and the Emperor conversing via hologram, speaking of the lost history of the Jedi. Fresh young pilot is chasing down into the trenches, almost gets blown away when BAM, his squad leader (some old dude with a beard and robe like) takes the shot and crashes into a mutual annihilation fireball with some enemy pilot in green armor.

Back to the ice planet: Luke has some time to hang out with the others. That one girl is actually a princess, and that other guy used to be a smuggler. There's some romance starting up and then that shower scene with lots of billowing steam(since it's an ice planet and the shower condenses so easy) but not so much as to keep you from seeing some breasts.

Then Imperial counterattack comes and they all have to flee. Luke gets trapped by the asteroid monster with the others for a little while, then they're split up while escaping: Luke gets sent off on his own to train with Yoda in a weird abandoned city, and is shown the secrets of the Jedi and the Old Republic and gets the mysterious Force Amulet - that's when the Rebel Fleet appears overhead....and bigger news: Darth Vader has arrived and announced that the Empire wishes to make peace!

How can this happen? Because things are setting up for a showdown with the other Empire, and Palpatine thinks that the Rebels will be a tool he can use against it. So this huge fight is starting up. Chewbacca gets shot down and then Han gets in the most awesome dogfight you've ever seen: next you see he's suiting up next to that girl from the other Empire he was just fighting.

What's this? Leia is Luke's sister? And she's just moping about that and wanting to give in to despair? He slaps her back to her senses, and then gives her the Force Amulet he got from Yoda to use while he goes off to try to help save the Rebel Fleet in the middle of this huge clash of empires. But the power of the Amulet is strong: it wakes up the ancient Jedi wisdom within Darth Vader so him and his personal fleet join in with the Rebels immediately, soon enough leading to the climactic scene where Luke flies right into the throne room and shoots up the Emperor personally in an amazing show of effects and cinematography.

---

Okay, I took some liberties there. That changes Star Wars more than DYRL changed Macross, but I was running quick and off the cuff. My main point is that there's exposition enough to keep it from being totally baffling but it's still a leap from one awesome action/effects scene into another with little to bridge it together sensibly, and a lot of shortcuts making both the characters, and the wider story, have a lot less impact. Where's Luke's origin as a farmboy with dreams? Han's place as the selfish rogue turned upstanding hero? Darth Vader's true origin and eventual redemption? Why did the whole idea of the Jedi and the Force get condensed to a magic amulet? Sure that stuff isn't so much missing in watching the movie as just not included, but its absence still lessens the full effect of what made the full story compelling.

Sure, I understand that DYRL had to hack out most of the TV show to fit into a two hour movie, and it couldn't be done any other way. And it was visually stunning, no doubt about it. Just that what it lost in translation was meat as well as fluff, and what was left might not be confusing, but it's still a disjointed rush that gives a much different story and theme if you haven't seen the full thing.

A down side of the Frontier movie is going to be that there won't be such a leap between its animation quality and that of the TV series: even if it ended up getting big budget treatment, I don't think there's as big a gulf between a high budget animated movie now and what we saw in Frontier as there was between DYRL and SDFM. But, on the up side I've seen the TV series now, so if the movie(s) cut out a lot of important things it's not like I don't know them already. Provided it doesn't reinvent things too much, but it feels like it won't.

The one element "Idol Talk" and "Pink Monsoon" really have in common is that they could both potentially pass for Madonna songs. Beyond that, I'm not hearing a ton of similarity. I mean, I really like "Idol Talk" (probably my second favorite Mac Plus song), but "Pink Monsoon" is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard May'n sing.

Madonna? Madonna has "zero" soul, while both Sharon & Sheryl do, regardless of whether you're a fan of the songs are not, they're hardly the pop trash that Madonna would turn out. As I said, a better comparison for Pink Monsoon would be Apollonia or Vanity.

Edited by Keith

Madonna? Madonna has "zero" soul, while both Sharon & Sheryl do, regardless of whether you're a fan of the songs are not, they're hardly the pop trash that Madonna would turn out. As I said, a better comparison for Pink Monsoon would be Apollonia or Vanity.

Relax, Keith. I'm not comparing vocals, I'm comparing the music they're singing to. Yes, both Sharon and Sheryl are better singers than Madonna, but they're both providing vocals that are overlaid on generic pop. The main difference in this particular scenario is that "Idol Talk" is catchy pop, but "Pink Monsoon" is just dull and rather lacking in the "soul" you're referring to.

Double post:

I've started a translation of the 2009.11 Newtype article. Looks like there are some really big changes to the story.

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...c=2377.msg35713

New stuff:

It looks like they're focusing and expanding on the Sheryl-as-Galaxy-agent that was briefly touched on in the series. Which, IMHO, is a good thing, as the Vajra didn't make a very good enemy, but the Galaxy conspirators did. I also like how they've changed the them of the movie to something different from the TV series.

Edited by sketchley

Double post:

I've started a translation of the 2009.11 Newtype article. Looks like there are some really big changes to the story.

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35645#msg35645

New stuff:

It looks like they're focusing and expanding on the Sheryl-as-Galaxy-agent that was briefly touched on in the series. Which, IMHO, is a good thing, as the Vajra didn't make a very good enemy, but the Galaxy conspirators did. I also like how they've changed the them of the movie to something different from the TV series.

The part that sucked about Frontier was the antagonists. Bugs... WOW. And then you had the sinister, ultra shadowy, über evil, one dimensional Galaxy people... double WOW!!

Hope they do play the Galaxy part of the story. Seriously, a villain is a lot more interesting if his goals can be seen as “good” but achieved by questionable means. With Galaxy we only got to see the whole “unite the human race” almost at the very end of the series.

Wish they would take away the moe loli crap but I fear this franchise is going to clinch to it even more in the future.