Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

I thought it would be a good idea to try to create a single thread to discuss the Macross Frontier movie topics. Let's try to create a single thread where people can go to discuss Frontier movie news and topics.

I debated whether to create a special Frontier movie music thread, but decided that it is too specialized and probably doesn't warrant a whole thread.

I came across this pre-order listing for what I believe to be the movie soundtrack.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?K..._campaign=ANIME

I wonder if they will throw in any new songs along with our favorites from the series? I'm sure there will be some alternate versions of some of the current songs, and probably another medley song.

others

BTW, This scene from EP.01

Sheryl won't escape after Alto's blame.

I like this change~~

^^

MOVIE

24582_20090930135111_6ffa24d8874a4d08b5e4eca6e969ccc7.jpg

TV

24582_20090930134842_56cc83ce97befffa6248199e14029bd6.jpg

・F劇場版は『初代TV版→愛おぼ』の半分ぐらいの変更度合い

大気圏内外で使える新型スーパーパック登場。ガウォークの時に特にかっこいい(河森談)

・アルトとランカは最初から知り合い

1話のラストのランカが襲われるあたりのシーンにシェリルもいる画像が ・シェリルの新作入浴シーンの画像

・河森「劇場版は"ライブショー"」(※初代は"ドキュメンタリードラマ"、愛おぼは"舞台劇"、7は"漫画"、プラスは"洋画")

???

I wonder if they will throw in any new songs along with our favorites from the series? I'm sure there will be some alternate versions of some of the current songs, and probably another medley song.

Dude, we KNOW there will be new songs. Didn't you see the trailers? ^_^

???

Just looking at the pictures, it's fairly clear that Sheryl's been added to the scene. Perhaps her limo took a wrong turn and she ended up near where Aruto crashes after being shot down by the red vajra and they all get to watch Gilliam squished together.

Saw the trailer today, it was pretty good.

I just hope the vast majority of the movie will be new footage, i hate it when anime movies recycle the footage from the series to make most of the movie (if you've seen the RahXephon movie, you know what i'm talking about.)

Saw the trailer today, it was pretty good.

I just hope the vast majority of the movie will be new footage, i hate it when anime movies recycle the footage from the series to make most of the movie (if you've seen the RahXephon movie, you know what i'm talking about.)

I don't really mind them recycling footage if they are going to do things like the Sheryl insertion there - same footage, different or tweaked plot. After all, Phantasm in the original series was pretty much all reused and repurposed cells and sequences and still turned out to be one of the best (if not a little stoned) episodes in the entire franchise IMHO.

Is it just me or the big red Vajra was redesigned?

post-9033-1254546287_thumb.jpg

From what I've read, there aren't any changes (or any major changes) to the yellow and red vajra, but I've heard that they're going to get some new abilities and/or new units that we haven't seen before.

Also, I don't remember seeing in the series that scene where Red appears to be many many times larger than Alto's VF-25. But I am writing that off as dramatic perspective. And the Vajra are larger than valks.

The new stuff pretty much looks awesome. Except Ranka's segway. It seems to out-of-character, you know?

I'm going to ask a question that fits in perfectly with how this thread seems to be going along now:

Hi! I just want to know - will there be a Macross Frontier Movie? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist, but reading this is just amusing. "What's the release date?" - "It's staring you in the face." "Will they have new songs?" "they're in the trailer." "there's a trailer?" "it's on youtube."

Funny Sunday reading :)

Pete

I'm going to ask a question that fits in perfectly with how this thread seems to be going along now:

Hi! I just want to know - will there be a Macross Frontier Movie? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist, but reading this is just amusing. "What's the release date?" - "It's staring you in the face." "Will they have new songs?" "they're in the trailer." "there's a trailer?" "it's on youtube."

Funny Sunday reading :)

Pete

What's Macross Frontier?

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? The great thing about these macross series is that they spend time on a long arc. That simply can't be retold in a 2 hour movie.

Honeslty, I think the only reason people prefer dyrl is because it was such an upgrade to the original vision. Beautiful animation, upgraded mecha, sophistication. But the story telling was far better in the original series. because they spent time to flesh it out.

Now as far as a film version of the frontier series, it won;t have that upgrade. Frontier already has some of the most advanced animation there is. And if they're re-using animation? We'll be lucky if there is ANY kind of sensible plot.

the series was rushed already.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? The great thing about these macross series is that they spend time on a long arc. That simply can't be retold in a 2 hour movie.

DYRL? Macross Plus Movie? Ring any bells?

Only Macross 7 didn't get a remake movie. No it got a movie double billed with Macross Plus, 2 OAV series. On top of 49 episodes!

It goes to SK's viewpoint of Macross as an art. Meta-fiction that can be retold.

DYRL? Macross Plus Movie? Ring any bells?

Only Macross 7 didn't get a remake movie. No it got a movie double billed with Macross Plus, 2 OAV series. On top of 49 episodes!

It goes to SK's viewpoint of Macross as an art. Meta-fiction that can be retold.

I made my points about DYRL above. Personally, I didn't think it worked.

And macross plus wasn't a HUGE stretch to condense it into a film. There were only 4 episodes.

this is 25 epic episodes filled with character development, relationship development, plot twists and conspiracies.

I made my points about DYRL above. Personally, I didn't think it worked.

And macross plus wasn't a HUGE stretch to condense it into a film. There were only 4 episodes.

this is 25 epic episodes filled with character development, relationship development, plot twists and conspiracies.

The Frontier movie is the first arc dubbed "The False Songtress".

They are not going to condense 25 episodes into one movie. 25 episodes will equate to several movies.

The Frontier movie is the first arc dubbed "The False Songtress".

They are not going to condense 25 episodes into one movie. 25 episodes will equate to several movies.

gotcha. I had heard that the first film would be a retelling but the next one would be a sequel.

gotcha. I had heard that the first film would be a retelling but the next one would be a sequel.

It may end up being like Idon: A Contact, and Ideon: Be Invoked.

The first being a recap, intended for people who had seen the TV series, to act as a refresher in preparation for the second film.

So far I'm excited about the following:

1) New songs (Pink Monsoon especially, Sheryl needs more mid-tempo songs).

2) New footage (obviously)

3) Alterations to the reused scenes (Some of which implies that the story will play out very differently)

One thing that hasn't been considered is the script. How different will the dialogue and Narration be? Obviously, the second movie will take the story in a different direction. Since we got the feel good ending in the series, maybe the films will veer towards a darker ending, for all we know. So I'm excited! And my enjoyment will depend of how new the False Diva turns out to be.

I heard somewhere that the False Diva will only be equivalent to the first 7 episodes of the series. Is this officially confirmed? Or Is the movie really going to try and condense all 12 or so hours of Macross Frontier into a single film?

I heard somewhere that the False Diva will only be equivalent to the first 7 episodes of the series. Is this officially confirmed? Or Is the movie really going to try and condense all 12 or so hours of Macross Frontier into a single film?

We don't know yet. So far, though, the "First 7 episodes" route seems likely (to me), since none of the promotional material seem to show anything beyond them.

DYRL? compressed a lot of the character development (Most of the important bits, anyway) into 2 hours, and SDFM ran for 36 episodes. I see no issue with MacF doing the same.

That's just it, for me. I felt that DYRL had basically no character development to speak of: even what illusion it had was based on assuming the viewers had all seen SDFM and were able to mentally fill in the blank. Where it was strong was being vastly more visually detailed and appealing than the TV series was.

Frontier doesn't really have that option: even if the movie was all new animation and even if it was a careful, high budget work, it likely wouldn't be nearly the visual step up from the TV series that DYRL was in its day.

This doesn't mean I'm saying it's doomed, mind: if they do some new things, show us some new sides of the characters and events rather than simply recap them, this could still be something much worth watching. Apparently putting Sheryl ringside at that first battle vs. the Vajra will be one such thing, and I'm interested to see how it turns out.

As an aside, am I the only one that doesn't get the "Sheryl shouldn't have left the concert!" argument some people have made? Seeing she was ordered to, everyone else did, and it's not like she had any reason to think she could do anything? It'll be interesting to see her there, but I've never been sure how her getting in the limo was a failing on her part. :blink:

As an aside, am I the only one that doesn't get the "Sheryl shouldn't have left the concert!" argument some people have made? Seeing she was ordered to, everyone else did, and it's not like she had any reason to think she could do anything? It'll be interesting to see her there, but I've never been sure how her getting in the limo was a failing on her part. :blink:

LOL. I always thought that Alto was just being emo for emo's sake at that point. since there was a forced evacuation, the safest place to be would be a shelter. i don't see the point of waiting for your death inside a concert hall. a lot of good it did minmay's fans in DYRL. :p

Either the writers were trying to establish from the get-go that Alto had no problems facing up to a diva, or they were reverse-referencing minmay's attempt to sing through an attack during her concert in SDFM.

Back on topic:

I would personally prefer if the movie tried to compress the series, like what DYRL did. sure, there would probably be a lack of character development, but i don't see the point of making a movie about the first part of the series, and then following it up with another one later on. if that was the case, it would be like merely re-creating the series from scratch. if so, what was the point of the first one?

Edited by dreamweaver13

I thought DYRL? had good pacing and character development considering the time contraints. I don't think it would be confusing to watch even if you didn't watch the TV series (It would be a heck of a spoiler though).

I think the major plot points of Frontier could be told in a 2 hour movie as well- but you'd have to cut stuff like the underwear chasing ep...