M.D. Geist: Collector's Series (M.D. Geist: Director's Cut + M.D. Geist II: Death Force) ( M.D.ガイスト 1-2 )
Nippon Columbia/Denon, 1986/1996
U.S. Manga Corps, 1992/1996, 2002; ADV Films, 2009
Directed by Koichi Ohata (Gunbuster, Ikki Tousen) (M.D. Geist originally directed by Hayato Ikeda)
Rated 16-Up for extreme violence and gore, nudity and profanity.

M.D. Geist (装鬼兵MDガイスト)
In the distant future, mankind has colonized other planets in the universe. While many planets lived in peace, one planet has been ravaged by decades of war. Geist, an enhanced soldier, wakes up from his cryogenic sleep to engage in another war. This time, to help the army stop the planet's central computer from activating a doomsday device.

M.D. Geist II: Death Force (装鬼兵MDガイスト2)
After unleashing the Death Force machines, Geist has kept himself busy by dismantling them one by one. But now he faces a formidable opponent in the form of Krauser, another enhanced soldier who has aligned himself as the only savior of mankind.

An instant flop in Japan in 1986, M.D. Geist was picked up by U.S. Manga Corps in the early 1990s as the company's corporate logo. Because of their obsession with Geist, U.S. Manga Corps gave creator Koichi Ohata (Aim for the Top! Gunbuster, Genocyber) a fat paycheck to refine the OAV and produce a sequel. The results can be found in this DVD package.

Cast

Norio Wakamoto (Coach in Gunbuster, Chiyochichi in Azumanga Daioh) as M.D. Geist (original 1986 version)

Kazuhiro Nakata (Ron in Outlaw Star, Bear in .hack//) as M.D. Geist (Director's Cut and M.D. Geist II)

Fumi Hirano (Lum in Urusei Yatsura) as Vaiya (original 1986 version)

Rica Matsumoto (Jim in Outlaw Star, Aoi in You're Under Arrest) as Vaiya (Director's Cut)

Rica Fukami (Myung in Macross Plus, Minako/Sailor Venus in Sailor Moon) as Vaiya (M.D. Geist II)

Akio Nojima (Aaron in Armored Trooper Votoms, Alexander in Eureka Seven AO) as Kurtz (original 1986 version)

Unshou Ishizuka (Jet in Cowboy Bebop, Guld in Macross Plus) as Kurtz (Director's Cut)

Kaneto Shiozawa (1954-2000) (Rei in Fist of the North Star, M'quve in Mobile Suit Gundam) as M.D. Krauser

Story: F
What story? All I see is brainless, gratuitous violence.

Animation: D
M.D. Geist: Director's Cut has crude, low-budget OAV animation, and the colors of the added footage do not mix with the old footage.

M.D. Geist II has cleaner artwork, but suffers from, well, lack of animation. Roughly 80% of the OAV consists of just still shots. And you'd think U.S. Manga Corps would spare no expense on their corporate mascot...

Soundtrack: D-
Bad enough that you see bad animation in M.D. Geist. Worse is that you have to put up with some cheesy music to go with it, along with some crappy songs about the guy. I feel sorry for the great Hironobu Kageyama (Dragon Ball Z, Mazinkaiser), who recorded the theme songs. This is, by far, the worst original Japanese soundtrack for any anime.

Sub vs. Dub
Quite frankly, the voice acting is laughable. And I'm talking about both English and Japanese versions.

DVD Extras: B
Apparently, U.S. Manga Corps still worships this title. In 2002, they released the Collector's Series version of this DVD, phasing out the mediocre Image Entertainment version. With that in mind, U.S. Manga Corps went all-out by remastering the picture quality. (Wow - M.D. Geist II was done in 1996 and the quality's already deteriorating?)

Also included in the two-disc set are the following features:

• Commentary by creators Koichi Ohata/Riku Sanjo (In Japanese)
  • Alternate angles (using the graphic novel published by CPM Manga)
  • Storyboards
  • Art gallery
  • Geist Rider Scrapbook - A look at the customized Harley Davidson bike inspired by the anime
  • A really, really stupid music video

So far, Netflix sent me disc one only. From what I've read, disc two just has more artwork from Ohata. And I have absolutely no time to view that.

The Bottom Line
U.S. Manga Corps needs a new corporate mascot. I'll take the Geist Rider, though.

On a side note, imagine if Central Park Media decided to produce a live-action M.D. Geist movie. It would probably star Dolph Lundgren as Geist.

Edited by areaseven

MD Geist is the absolute entity of Pointlessness, Retardedness, and utter stupidity. However, you have to love it.

Its like that Jack In The Box commercial! "Gore, Violence, Gore, Gore, Violence, and thats it!" I enjoy MD Geist. His armor is absolutely awesome. And its got great action scenes, despite its bad animation. I like this title. In a "Im a dummy!" sort of way.

Hehe... I'd hate to meat a physician at a hospital who's name was Geist. MD. At one time, a Medical Doctor, and the MOST DANGEROUS medical doctor. HOO HOO!

-BEN-MAN-

M.D. Geist was one of those anime with a good concept but very poor execution. I can kind of see how people can like it, but I'm also annoyed that it means stuff like Patlabor on TV don't get no respect... :(

For a much better take on a similiar concept, may I recommend the ( original ) Rogue Trooper, from the UK SF comic 2000AD?

"Naughty Norty!" B))

I can't beleive this sorry excuse for anime even has a thread.....

M.D. Geist = staaaaaay away. Don't waste your time.

For those of you that saw M.D. Geist II.... didn't you learn after the first one???

Bad bad bad. It was just plain bad.

I second the opinion that Detonator Orgun was pretty decent.

man... Orgun was the anime that introduced me to the whole shebang... a local anime/manga store was showing it on their TV, I just stood there and watched the entire first episode and thought "That is Cool!"

Granted the plot could have been slightly improved, but as it is it's a relatively fast paced anime with wonderful animation and even greater music....

With that in mind, USMC went all-out by remastering the picture quality.

I saw this godawful thing back in the 80's when it was first released. I never made it half way through. And I will never bother to watch it again.

By the way A7, please do not associate US Manga Corps with the initials USMC. You're gonna make people out there unfamiliar with this f---ed up company that the Marines are making crappy animation. :D

Otherwise, I just may have to dust off my 782 gear and clean my SAW and perform an amphibious operation to take out US Manga Corps...

Another thing A7, I remade the banner you use for your Gunbuster page. If you want it you can go HERE

• 4 years later...
MD Geist isn't as bad as everyone says it is now, and it's not as good as everyone said it was back in the nineties. Typical anime fan bandwagon-jumping.

Yeah, considering some of the stuff that passes a "good" in anime nowadays. MD Geist is by no means great, but it's not as awful and certainly not even close to being one of the worst anime titles.

Plus the design rocked of Geist's armored suit rocked and it has a guy getting stabbed in the head with a knife attached to a grenade.

Yeah, considering some of the stuff that passes a "good" in anime nowadays. MD Geist is by no means great, but it's not as awful and certainly not even close to being one of the worst anime titles.

Plus the design rocked of Geist's armored suit rocked and it has a guy getting stabbed in the head with a knife attached to a grenade.

Geist - I just remember that the cover art looked pretty cool at the local video store. And, back in the day, we didn't really have the great selection of anime available to choose from. It was bad, but in a funny "this is awesomely bad, and I can't stop singing the theme song" kind-of way... Quite a few people were referred to as being "most dangerous" after viewing this masterpiece.

Unfortunately, once you watch it you cannot un-watch it. :blink: I don't subscribe to the "bandwagon" theory in this case. I was a kid when I first attempted to watch it. Didn't have nor hear of any opinion about it one way or another. I couldn't even finish it, and I never was crazy enough to try to watch it again.

Geiest isn't that bad. We could be talking about Project A-Ko, Outlanders, and the like. So many titles back then. So much crap in retrospect :)

I thought Project A-ko was a riot. You didn't find it funny? I still have to contend that M.D. Geist was that bad.

Geiest isn't that bad. We could be talking about Project A-Ko, Outlanders, and the like. So many titles back then. So much crap in retrospect :)

Whoa there, buddy. Project A-ko and Outlanders are both awesome. How could you not like them?

Edited by danth