Predators in 2010

Vermillion21

I thought this was gonna be a total fail but I take (some) of it back after seeing the trailer. At least he's taking the effort to capture the feeling of the original film. Although the mention of 'super predators' makes me nervous. And not in a "holy crap they're coming out of the walls!" kind of way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This film still looks like crap. It looks like it'll change too much of the established canon, which is one of my complaints against AvP.

what established canon? There was one good movie with Arnold and one poo movie with Danny Glover, neither of which provided any kind of deep development or back-story to the predators other than they hunt shit, and they're good at it. there's barley anything for them to f*ck with.

also AvP primarily screwed with the ALIEN continuity.

Edited by anime52k8

one thing thats impressed me so far is in some of the clips they have used the original music from the first Predator movie.

It doesn't mean that will represent the score of the movie. On a semi-related note, I recall people mentioning in the AvP2 trailer the use of the recognizable Motion Detector pings from Aliens, which AvP2 has no resemblence to in theme, setting, style.

As for Predators, I'm a bit apprehensive. The trailer seems like they're going for that vibe from the Predator, which is quite okay, IMO. A bunch of elite dudes in the middle of a jungle (alien world in this case) that are going to get off'ed. But I wonder about how this will turn out, especially with the Predators themselves. There's going to be lots of 'em, hence the title and trailer with the tons of laser targetters on the character. I wonder if Predators are going to be made fodder. In the first 2 Predator movies, 1 Predator with the use of skill and technology wreaked alot of havoc and kills. Just waiting to see how they approach the Predators' aptitude in those abilities.

1 Predator in the first 2 flicks caused alot death and mayhem against large groups of professionals. Now you're telling me we have a movie with LOTS of Predators going against a bunch of tough guys who are all alone on an alien planet?

Edited by Warmaker

It doesn't mean that will represent the score of the movie. On a semi-related note, I recall people mentioning in the AvP2 trailer the use of the recognizable Motion Detector pings from Aliens, which AvP2 has no resemblence to in theme, setting, style.

As for Predators, I'm a bit apprehensive. The trailer seems like they're going for that vibe from the Predator, which is quite okay, IMO. A bunch of elite dudes in the middle of a jungle (alien world in this case) that are going to get off'ed. But I wonder about how this will turn out, especially with the Predators themselves. There's going to be lots of 'em, hence the title and trailer with the tons of laser targetters on the character. I wonder if Predators are going to be made fodder. In the first 2 Predator movies, 1 Predator with the use of skill and technology wreaked alot of havoc and kills. Just waiting to see how they approach the Predators' aptitude in those abilities.

1 Predator in the first 2 flicks caused alot death and mayhem against large groups of professionals. Now you're telling me we have a movie with LOTS of Predators going against a bunch of tough guys who are all alone on an alien planet?

I agree. And usually when a film has to rely on familiarity by using established sterotypes and rehash elements (wimpy desk-pusher/nerd guy, mini gun, "because... thats what I would do", and possibly the music) it indicates weak writing and unoriginality. All these previews indicate to me that this is going to be another failed attempt at reviving the Aliens/Predator successes of the past.

In my opinion when the bad films of a franchise start to equal the number of good films, then it time to give it up. You are never going to capture that spirit of the originals and you should go back to making original films.

what established canon? There was one good movie with Arnold and one poo movie with Danny Glover, neither of which provided any kind of deep development or back-story to the predators other than they hunt shit, and they're good at it. there's barley anything for them to f*ck with.

also AvP primarily screwed with the ALIEN continuity.

Well, if you want to be picky about it, Predator 2 screwed with the Alien continuity. There's that scene of the alien skull in the trophy room on-board the Predators' ship.

In the first 2 Predator movies, 1 Predator with the use of skill and technology wreaked alot of havoc and kills. Just waiting to see how they approach the Predators' aptitude in those abilities.

In the first 2 Predator movies, 1 Predator is able to kill a bunch of people through overwhelmingly superior strength and technology. The general depiction of predators in the original movies is that they are inferior to humans in terms of intelligence and ingenuity, instead relying on brute force and their advanced weapons to get things done.

I agree. And usually when a film has to rely on familiarity by using established sterotypes and rehash elements (wimpy desk-pusher/nerd guy, mini gun, "because... thats what I would do", and possibly the music) it indicates weak writing and unoriginality. All these previews indicate to me that this is going to be another failed attempt at reviving the Aliens/Predator successes of the past.

In my opinion when the bad films of a franchise start to equal the number of good films, then it time to give it up. You are never going to capture that spirit of the originals and you should go back to making original films.

BIN-GO!

Hear, Hear! Well said.

In the first 2 Predator movies, 1 Predator is able to kill a bunch of people through overwhelmingly superior strength and technology. The general depiction of predators in the original movies is that they are inferior to humans in terms of intelligence and ingenuity, instead relying on brute force and their advanced weapons to get things done.

The original movies did not make the Predator out to be inferior to humans. He's just a better hunter with the weapons he has on hand and he's a professional at what he does gained through years of practical experience. You have to remember the Predator was going up against soldiers and policemen, people who didn't do that kind of thing. He was just hunting, kind of like me going out and shooting down an elephant before he has the chance to trample me. But to call him inferior is also kind of silly. After all, he has the capabilty to travel out among the stars, create energy weapons, and bend light to the point where he is all but invisible to the naked eye. And if you could rely on brute force, wouldn't you use that to your advantage? He's an alien. Take into account what kind of planet he's from. He may be from a pretty tough place.

I dunno man... it surely takes some intelligence to develop said superior technology like their cloaking devices, FTL space ships, and directed energy weapons :) . It lost cuz it was fighting Ahnnuuuld.

Not only was 1 Predator not inferior, but was obviously superior to a single human and only after shredding teams of humans ranging from combat hardened elite mercenaries to gangbangers would one fall to the plot victimization of the Hero. :ph34r:

But seriously... that was the biggest draw in AvP, multiple predators in action at one time. I'll wait for the BD on this one, though.

caught it yesterday. I'm not too impressed by it. Kudos for going back to its roots but it lacked some sort of "suspense/horror" element to it. Heck they even had a "samurai scene". Too campy.

caught it yesterday. I'm not too impressed by it. Kudos for going back to its roots but it lacked some sort of "suspense/horror" element to it. Heck they even had a "samurai scene". Too campy.

But dude, you should be comparing it to The Last Airbender TV series and observing that the original series was Shakespeare, esp. when compared to the film!!!!

BTW. "If it bleeds, we can kill it" The original Predator was so campy they nearly had to show the film only in camps. It was part of the charm.

Taksraven

Ha! it opens here a day before the US!

Tomorrow is gonna be fun............beer and good food, followed by Predators!

Can't wait.

Graham

You mean you haven't been enjoying the world cup so far? :lol: Anyway, where are you going to watch it? I bought tickets for UA Time Square

You mean you haven't been enjoying the world cup so far? :lol: Anyway, where are you going to watch it? I bought tickets for UA Time Square

Sorry, I can't stand football, so I've not watched any of the world cup. I'm more of a rugby fan. To be honest, football bores me to death. I would rather go to the dentist to have teeth pulled without anesthetic, than have to sit through a football match.

I'm seeing Predators at the AMC in Pacific Place, which is close to my office. I originally planned to watch it at AMC Festival Walk (closer to my home), but stupid me had a brain-fade and booked the wrong cinema online.....doh!

Anyway, less than 4 hours to go before I watch it........yipee!

Graham

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Predators last night. It's not without it's flaws (more on that below), but it was a fun, enjoyable movie with a nice 'old school' vibe to it.

Definitely a worthy successor to the original Predator movie in my opinion. Although of course, nothing tops the original.

I'll definitely be picking up the DVD when it comes out.

I do feel the movie could have done with a bit bigger budget and perhaps a different director with a bit more experience under his belt. The pacing felt a bit off to me in places.

There were also a few plot holes:

1) How did Lawrence Fishburne stay so fat after 10 cycles on the game reserve planet?

2) How come both the normal Predator and the Super Predator were able to remote control the Spaceship using the wrist controllers? If the normal and Super Predators were fighting each other and the ship belonged to one side, surely it would have some sort of security safeguard to prevent the other side taking control?

3) As both predators could control the Spaceship, why did the Super Predator blow it up? Why didn't he just land it again?

Would give the movie a solid 7/10.

Graham

I dunno man... it surely takes some intelligence to develop said superior technology like their cloaking devices, FTL space ships, and directed energy weapons :) . It lost cuz it was fighting Ahnnuuuld.

technology which they proceed to sit on for thousands of years with little to no advancement. (if we DO count AvP, then they're clearly shown using the exact same gear now as they where using before the pyramids where built.)

Not only was 1 Predator not inferior, but was obviously superior to a single human and only after shredding teams of humans ranging from combat hardened elite mercenaries to gangbangers would one fall to the plot victimization of the Hero.

the 1 predator was able to do that because it had active camouflage, blade weapons that can cut through anything, and thermal optics with motion tracking sights tied to a directed energy canon. At no point did the alien ever show any kind of advanced tactics or particular cunning, it just utterly outgunned everyone. Everyone they managed to kill died because they tried to take the predators head on, fighting force and technology with inferior force and technology.

Once the main character starts trying to out think the predator rather than go at it with the biggest stick they can get a hold of, they're able to take them out.

Although I'm sure the Predators as a race have other advanced weapons, armour & technology than what is shown in the movies, I imagine that they are perhaps limited by their honor code or hunting code to only using certain types of weapons and technology on hunts, in order to give their prey a fighting chance.

Standing off from a couple of klicks and blasting your enemy with some sort of super-duper, ultimate mega-death ray is hardly sporting now is it?

Graham

1) How did Lawrence Fishburne stay so fat after 10 cycles on the game reserve planet?

2) How come both the normal Predator and the Super Predator were able to remote control the Spaceship using the wrist controllers? If the normal and Super Predators were fighting each other and the ship belonged to one side, surely it would have some sort of security safeguard to prevent the other side taking control?

3) As both predators could control the Spaceship, why did the Super Predator blow it up? Why didn't he just land it again?

Would give the movie a solid 7/10.

Graham

Well:

1.) He was scavenging so he was probably hunting other game animals or likely luring humans to his shack, smoke em, and eat em. That's what he was planning to do with the group right?

2.) Ship is probably owned by classic predator. The other predators seem to be outcasts of pred society or something and have been on the planet for a long time as depicted by their large trophy shrine. So when classic predator came for some hunting, he became the hunted instead, captured.

3.) Super preds booby trapped the ship and might not have full control of the ship? He just used the wrist controller to activate the bomb. Shrug. Any explanation's viable i guess.

My question would be how much friggin ammo they had on their selves. It didn't seem to be an issue for them blasting away at the alien bloodhounds and though the lead asked for an ammo count, they didn't seem to be conserving the ammo later either. What a waste to a useful tension buildup element.

Although I'm sure the Predators as a race have other advanced weapons, armour & technology than what is shown in the movies, I imagine that they are perhaps limited by their honor code or hunting code to only using certain types of weapons and technology on hunts, in order to give their prey a fighting chance.

Standing off from a couple of klicks and blasting your enemy with some sort of super-duper, ultimate mega-death ray is hardly sporting now is it?

Graham

About sportsmanship, it does open a plot hole in the original movie as depicted by this funny vid.

Edited by wolfx

Well:

1.) He was scavenging so he was probably hunting other game animals or likely luring humans to his shack, smoke em, and eat em. That's what he was planning to do with the group right?

2.) Ship is probably owned by classic predator. The other predators seem to be outcasts of pred society or something and have been on the planet for a long time as depicted by their large trophy shrine. So when classic predator came for some hunting, he became the hunted instead, captured.

3.) Super preds booby trapped the ship and might not have full control of the ship? He just used the wrist controller to activate the bomb. Shrug. Any explanation's viable i guess.

My question would be how much friggin ammo they had on their selves. It didn't seem to be an issue for them blasting away at the alien bloodhounds and though the lead asked for an ammo count, they didn't seem to be conserving the ammo later either. What a waste to a useful tension buildup element.

1) Doubtful on an alien planet that any of the flaura and fauna would be compatible with human biology (i.e. would likely be inedible to humans), so I guess he likely survived by killing and eating other humans, or eating the their remains after they'ed been killed by Preds.

2) Agreed.

3) Good point, I hadn't thought of it in terms of a booby trap plantd by the the Super Predator.

The lead character (Royce?) looked to have carried 2 x 20rd drums for his auto shotgun (one drum in the gun & one drum in a pouch on the back of his belt) + another 16 loose rounds on his chest webbing (I counted during the movie). That would give him a total of 56 x 12gauge rounds.

He also looked to have a 1911 pistol in a thigh holser, with a spare double magazine pouch, which depending if he carried 7rd or 8rd mags, would give him a max total of 24rds of .45ACP ammo + another 1 in the chamber if he carried that way.

Graham

I don't see how it is a challenge for Predators to take on humans. The humans shouldn't stand a chance against the Predators' superior weapons and technology.

It's more of the line that humans are adaptable and tend to put up a fight when put under pressure. Look at the convict and how he tried under everything that happened? Or how creative the hero got at the final battle? Or all those boobytraps that got placed.

I don't see how it is a challenge for Predators to take on humans. The humans shouldn't stand a chance against the Predators' superior weapons and technology.

How is it a challenge for any human hunter who goes on safari hunting big game? In the first movie at least, it was just the one Predator, out in "the wild" with only what he brought with him. In the middle of a war zone, no less, so all the "game" was armed to the teeth, at least as far as our technology went.

Of course, that makes multiple Predators on a game reserve seem pretty cheap. Like, the all talk, not actually very good hunters just heading to the hunting reserve for a weekend. These guys are probably all accountants or something when they're not collecting human skulls.