Revoltech Full Transformation Valkyrie

Funkenstein

Well in all fairness...what did people expect them to look like?

I mean..."transformable Revoltech" doesn't sound right because if your focus is super poseability - to the point of actually being perfectly anime accurate - then you really can't incorporate transformation as well.

It's just not possible - especially not with revolver joints.

Pete

Yup, I was thinking back then when Revoltech announce the Macross line... Are they going to incorporate the revo joints there? It would be bulky as even the smallest revo joints are quite big... Then here it is, in all of its bulkiness.

Still though, they could try a little better in term of accuracy. The thigh could just use the smaller revo joints, and the overall fighter mode could shade a little plastic here and there. About the dangling legs, revo joints clicks in place, this might be even better than a locking mechanism, much better than Bandai 1/72 VF-25 at least.

Knowing Revoltech (as I collect the Getter Robo series), this will be as durable as heck. I accidentally threw one out from the 3rd floor of my house and it survives the journey with only a minor scratch.

Not to derail the thread too much, but a VF-1 can't win against the RX-78-2. You can simply infer this from the fact that the VF-1 was mass produced and no where did we see any VF-1 withstand an above normal amount of fire power or any other attack and survive unharmed. In fact, throughout Macross, we routinely see VF-1s getting blown up all the time - just like the Zendradi mecha. In this sense, your VF-1 is certainly a great fighting machine, but it's not any where near invincible.

Meanwhile - the RX-78-2 withstood massive attacks from multiple Zeon mobile suits until finally being taken down by a combination of advanced Zeon technology and extreme battle damage endured during a huge space battle.

Now - please don't ask me to explain what the Gundam's armor is made of - but unless you're going to argue that a lone VF-1 can take out the entire Zeon army without getting a scratch - then you've got a problem contending that a VF-1 can beat Gundam.

The only possible advantage that a VF-1 might have is speed and long-range attack. And the use of Reaction warheads from a long-distance attack.

But if we're talking one-on-one battroid vs robot or even a relatively close proximity fight - Gundam wins.

This is no way belittles the VF-1.

I mean - it's like saying "Toppa Tengenn Gurren Lagann or Gundam?" Obvious the former. Does this mean Gundam sucks? No.

Or another way to put it - Ranka vs. Sheryl? Obviously Ranka. But does this mean Sheryl sucks?

We can only hope so! Like a vaccumm!

Pete

Gundam. The only series where the pilot can fall into a comatose state of self pity in the middle of a battle against an entire battalion and still make it out unscathed. Who needs skill anyway?

Edited by Cent

Gundam. The only series where the pilot can fall into a comatose state of self pity in the middle of a battle against an entire battalion and still make it out unscathed. Who needs skill anyway?

true... ok..revy vf-1 will win in MY story. the fighter mode does look like a penguin the more i look at that comparison post

You know what - I would go as far as saying that these transformable VF-1s HURT the Revoltech brand.

I mean - if your goal is to market yourself as producing super poseable anime accurate robots and figures.... THIS does not help.

Pete

Now that I'm actually looking at these, I don't see what's so bad about them. I mean, yeah, the fighter mode is a bit chunky, and the revo joints are a bit of an eyesore, but I still think they pulled it off rather nicely. However, this is coming from a die-hard Transformers fan, so I'm used to things being a little out of proportion in sacrifice for one mode or the other.

I'm just glad these will be affordable. One thing I've always hated about Macross (and one reason I haven't really got into it as much as Transformers and Zoids:) The merch is TOO EXPENSIVE! I mean, I'm sorry, but spending hundreds of dollars on a toy is not something I can't do, especially when there are many way more important things I need to focus my funds on.

So, nodding to a previous post, I am a casual Macross fan, and I do like the look of these. I will definitely try to pick one up.

If this toy isn't frustrating in some way, I can see myself playing with it a heck of a lot more than any Yamato I have. It's refreshing to see a company making macross toys. :)

My sentiments exactly. This isn't a scale model. It's a toy in every sense of the word.

It'll be great to keep on my desk and play with when I have downtime during the work day.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Toys/Cost

If I can summarize, some people have voiced the opinion that these are "just toys" and affordable ones at that, unlike say -Yamato - therefore making them desirable.

I understand this point of view, but my feelings are very different.

You see - I will put it first shortly, and then explain at length.

The short version:

Yamato Valkyrie are CHEAP. Revoltech transformable Valkyrie are EXPENSIVE.

Huh?

Here's my explanation:

Given that the Yamatos are an excellent balance of durability, anime accuracy, detail, perfect transformation, have decals, come in ever nicer collectors' grade boxes - then for the price Yamatos are going for - they are worth every penny.

Given that the Revoltech variable Valkyrie are clunky, chunky, totally not accurate to even the worst of the animation cells in SDFM TV let alone line art itself, given that they are not really perfect transformation anyways (I'm sure the fists need to be detached for TFing), and given that they are in no way MORE poseable than Yamato's stuff - and yet they are prices at effectively 50% of the price of a Yamato valkyrie.

Yeah - that's right - 50%. 50% because you have to figure in shipping costs and compare please what the shipping cost on a single Yamato valkyrie is to a single Revoltech. It's nearly identical.

You spend almost half of what you would spend on a non SS Yamato to get this ugly thing.

That's what I define as expensive.

I agree that this is a good idea for people living in Japan who can walk into a store and get these for fairly cheap - although 2 thousand odd Yen for this cack is IMO, pretty expensive anyways given that it doesn't live up to the standards that other Kaiyodo Revoltechs do live up to - but whatever.

In the long run, if you amass a small collection of these things, you'll have spent about half the money that you would have spent amassing the equivalent in Yamatos.

Is that really worth it?

These are not pretty, they are not versatile in ANY of the three modes. They lack details, they are clumsy. They are a complete mess. They're not in scale with anything else.

I dunno - to me - these are way to expensive at that price point.

I mean - notice how most people who complain about Yamato prices always complain relative to their WALLET not to the quality of the product.

In this case, sure, relative to your wallet, maybe this isn't the most expensive thing out there -but to me personally - money spent on this is money wasted.

It's nice that they tried, but please go back to the drawing board.

Pete

By the way, is there a release date on these things yet?

That's what I'd like to know. At first I wasn't thrilled about yet another VF-1 toy, but when I realized that I'll probably play with these more than my Yamatos I got excited to get a few of them. The fact they're far cheaper than any Yamato valk makes them even better.

Given that I already own a few Yamato Valkyries, I think I'd already pass on these. IMHO Toynami's 1/100 VFs are more better in terms of looks. It'd be a hands down win for Toynami if only they didn't fail with plastic quality and floppiness.

Sure Yamato is darn expensive, but at least you get what you pay for.

and given that they are in no way MORE poseable than Yamato's stuff

That's just not accurate. They're capable of much more extreme poses than Yamato's valks, with joints granting a much wider range of motion.

Here's a photo example. You could somewhat replicate this pose with a Yamato valk, but it wouldn't be the same.

2599423695_60149bf868.jpg

Photo by josearmando via Flickr

and yet they are prices at effectively 50% of the price of a Yamato valkyrie.

Yeah - that's right - 50%. 50% because you have to figure in shipping costs and compare please what the shipping cost on a single Yamato valkyrie is to a single Revoltech. It's nearly identical.

They are nowhere near 50% the price of a Yamato valk. I got my Focker Strike VF-1S Revoltech for $32.50 shipped from BBTS.

My Hikaru VF-1J was $155.00 shipped from Overdrive. My VE-1 was $200.00 shipped from Overdrive.

That's 20% of the cost at most. Also, if I ordered from a place like HLJ, I'd be forced into the more expensive EMS for a Yamato valk, while the Revo could travel via the cheaper shipping option.

Even if you live somewhere with more expensive shipping, I don't see how an item that costs 20% of the value could end up at 50% if you're comparing price + shipping for both items.

I love my Yamato valks too, but Revoltechs are a completely different toy design with the priority more on a stylized look with high poseability.

Given that the Yamatos are an excellent balance of durability, anime accuracy, detail, perfect transformation, have decals, come in ever nicer collectors' grade boxes - then for the price Yamatos are going for - they are worth every penny.

That may be true, but it makes no difference to someone can't afford it to begin with.

Plus, considering the small size of my Macross toy collection (a small Matchbox Robotech SDF-1, the convertors SDF-1 Macross knock-off, and the little gashapon diorama set with the Monster MKII chase figure,) a Revo Valk will fit nicely.

Really, the picture of the VF-1S giving a salute sold me on these. B))

awesome....more VF-1s! :rolleyes:

if a company would make a macross toy that isn't a VF-1, i think a lot of people would buy it.

quite a few people bought that tiny ass SDF-1 from wave because they were the only ones making it.

it was overpriced for its size and lacked any kind of cool features but people still shelled out the money for it....i think it was like $120+

i think if a company steps up and makes regults, glaugs, and other non VF-1 mecha, they will get a lions share of the market.

a lot of this depends on quality, durability and the amount of features/details but what do i know?

all that being said, if toynami is the company that steps up, i wouldn't buy it. :D

if a company would make a macross toy that isn't a VF-1, i think a lot of people would buy it.

Agreed. In fact, there's a lot of stuff I'm not buying because it's yet another VF-1.

However, I think from a business perspective they're a sure sale, and they're easy to repaint into the various signature colors.

I definitely like the idea of a small, affordable scale. I want to see VF-11 through VF-22, in addition to VF-1. I also want enemy mecha (Regult, Glaug, Q-rau, and Nos-Ger at the minimum), as well as Destroids. I'm willing to forgive an atrocious sculpt, as well as parts-formers, to achieve that.

I definitely like the idea of a small, affordable scale. I want to see VF-11 through VF-22, in addition to VF-1. I also want enemy mecha (Regult, Glaug, Q-rau, and Nos-Ger at the minimum), as well as Destroids. I'm willing to forgive an atrocious sculpt, as well as parts-formers, to achieve that.

^^^^^This, except I want mine as perfect variable as possible