Revoltech Full Transformation Valkyrie

Funkenstein

Well, looking at the pictures, it appears that you don't have to remove the fists to transform it. However, you do have to replace them for different poses (obviously.)

I can't think of many valkyries that don't have bulky enough arms that you can't do the Yamato YF-19 hand transformation on... simply flip that sucker around and make it a basic fist with a hole in. Include optional posed accessory hands, if they must but the basic fist capable of holding a gunpod is a must.

That's just not accurate. They're capable of much more extreme poses than Yamato's valks, with joints granting a much wider range of motion.

Here's a photo example. You could somewhat replicate this pose with a Yamato valk, but it wouldn't be the same.

2599423695_60149bf868.jpg

Photo by josearmando via Flickr

They are nowhere near 50% the price of a Yamato valk. I got my Focker Strike VF-1S Revoltech for $32.50 shipped from BBTS.

My Hikaru VF-1J was $155.00 shipped from Overdrive. My VE-1 was $200.00 shipped from Overdrive.

That's 20% of the cost at most. Also, if I ordered from a place like HLJ, I'd be forced into the more expensive EMS for a Yamato valk, while the Revo could travel via the cheaper shipping option.

Even if you live somewhere with more expensive shipping, I don't see how an item that costs 20% of the value could end up at 50% if you're comparing price + shipping for both items.

I love my Yamato valks too, but Revoltechs are a completely different toy design with the priority more on a stylized look with high poseability.

I wasn't talking about the old Revoltech Valkyries, but the upcoming transformable ones.

I agree with everything you wrote about the old ones - and the picture shows how wonderful it is.

Now try taking the new transformable one and putting it in that post. Even if you could get it in that pose, it would look horrible because it looks horrible in any pose because they made it transformable and did a bad job of it.

They also have raised the price of Revoltechs significantly.

You won't be able to get these for the 15 bucks pre-shipping that you used to. Now it'll be more like 35 or even 40 dollars pre-shipping.

And my comparisson was meant to underline that EVEN IF you could pose a transformable Revoltech Valkyrie "better" than a Yamato - the fact remains that Yamato's are going to win in the accuracy department. They are accurate and very poseable.

The transformable revoltechs are not accurate at all - so who cares how well they can pose if no matter what pose you strike, it still doesn't look like it's supposed to?

Anyways - point is - I wasn't talking about the old Revoltechs you refered to - and we agree about those :)

Pete

I can't believe Kaiyodo thinks Macross fans want another small, transforming Valk (of the VF-1, to boot!). It looks pretty hideous. I can't see how this line will do well. I know it's been said before, but they really do need to wake up and focus on unproduced mecha and character figures. That would give them an edge over the competition. I would even army build if they released more enemy mecha, too.

I picked up every Revoltech Macross figure so far, but I'm passing on these for sure.

Actually - that's a realy good point. In all the laughing and poking fun at the VF-1 transformable...I totally missed that.

I mean - clearly this means they're continuing to do Macross stuff... so WHY in heavens name can't we get Macross characters in Fraulein??

I mean - even if for some zany wierd reason there are issues with securing the copyright or livense or whatever to DYRL or SDFM TV...then surely making Macross Frontier characters at least would be a no brainer, instead of making what has to be the lamest VF-1 on the shelves out there...

Pete

You won't be able to get these for the 15 bucks pre-shipping that you used to. Now it'll be more like 35 or even 40 dollars pre-shipping.

2400 Y = $27.03 US. That's still not going to be anywhere near 50% of the cost of a Yamato 1/60 valk, even with shipping, as you claimed.

And my comparisson was meant to underline that EVEN IF you could pose a transformable Revoltech Valkyrie "better" than a Yamato - the fact remains that Yamato's are going to win in the accuracy department. They are accurate and very poseable.

They also cost 5 times as much. I know you think that's worth it and the Revos are ugly and so on and so forth.

These will be great for folks who don't want to invest the better part of $200 for a transforming VF-1 toy. Some people don't have that kind of money to spend. I have a lot of friends who think my Yamato valks are really pretty but they're not able or willing to drop the cash on one.

Edited by Grand Admiral

Because Macross characters (at least until Frontier) weren't busty enough or loli enough. :p:)

Come on mate, as far as I know, Minmay is the 1st loli star of this new genre called Japanese anime. (From the 80s perspective) ^_^

As for not busty enough, well, that's true. That'll have to wait till Sharon Apple in Mac+. But I've never seen a figure of Sharon Apple made. (Maybe as events only Garage kits)

Edited by blacklotus

Maybe Kaiyodo just really likes to hear all the masochists bitch?

I seem to recall that when the first VF-1 Revoltechs were revealed, some of the first complaints were that it wasn't perfect transformation. Well, those folks got their wish.

I think it's important to keep in mind that this new full transformation VF-1 is NOT for those looking for Yamato-ness. This toy is obviously not for those looking for accuracy in the aesthetics department. I suspect there are folks out there who want something that is not hyper-expensive, accuracy is secondary, and want something solid like a revy to play and abuse.

Come on mate, as far as I know, Minmay is the 1st loli star of this new genre called Japanese anime. (From the 80s perspective) ^_^

80's style is out of fashion. Minmay is not young enough looking for today's otaku. :D

As for not busty enough, well, that's true. That'll have to wait till Sharon Apple in Mac+. But I've never seen a figure of Sharon Apple made. (Maybe as events only Garage kits)

That's because she's ugly. :p

I think it's important to keep in mind that this new full transformation VF-1 is NOT for those looking for Yamato-ness. This toy is obviously not for those looking for accuracy in the aesthetics department. I suspect there are folks out there who want something that is not hyper-expensive, accuracy is secondary, and want something solid like a revy to play and abuse.

Yep, and that's exactly what I'm looking forward to about this figure.

I hope it does well enough to warrant other transforming Macross valks too.

80's style is out of fashion. Minmay is not young enough looking for today's otaku. :D

That's kinda true. Today's otaku seems to be targeting tweeners (12-14). I got this impression from the latest remake of Cutie Honey and Gunbuster 2 - Diebuster. The main female characters there are 14 years old, definitely younger than the original versions. :rolleyes:

That's because she's ugly. :p

I don't know, I actually find her hot. And she's a virtual idol. And I'm into CGI babes. :o:)

Re: Revoltechs vs. Yamatos

Well - fair enough of course to people making the argument about cost, toys, aesthetic etc. Naturally I'm not dumb enough to actually argue that these should be compared, and I understand there are people for whom the idea of dropping a ton of money on a Yamato is crazy.

But.

:)

I personally am trying to underscore that I think this line of reasoning is a tad flawed, and that in the long run, one can find themselves dropping lots of money on - say -Revoltechs over the course of time, and those amounts get pretty big too.... but you don't have much to show for it.

I dunno - I think personally that it would be better to have even just one Yamato than 5 of these things.

Of course people can disagree and do as they like and think otherwise :)

For me, however - there's just no point in getting these - maybe if I didn't collect Yamato valkyrie and love them to death....but then again...not even then...probably... I dunno - I long ago decided that it's best to buy the big ticket items. Maybe this is my girlfriend's fault. And my old ex-boss from the job I had before going out on my own. Both of them spent like there's no tomorrow and basically believed that you only live once and money is just paper anyways so whatever.

That said - I STILL say that these VF-1s also go against the grain of what Revoltech has endeavored to give us - namely anime accurate figures. These are not accurate. So what if they're poseable?

The whole trick is to succeed in making it poseable AND accurate. Anybody can make a super poseable figure of something that has its' accuracy tossed out in favor of making it pose and transform...

I dunno...

We'll see how these do - I just have a sense they won't do well - unless Kaiyodo is bagging on there being tons of people who love what Yamato does but can't afford it?

But then again - come on -Yamato are not THAT expensive. Seriously.

Pete

I seem to recall that when the first VF-1 Revoltechs were revealed, some of the first complaints were that it wasn't perfect transformation. Well, those folks got their wish.

Count me in if they'll cheap enough. I wanna build up my squadrons of CF VF1s for a miniature wargaming session. Let's hope the Destroids and Zen pods get some love too. :lol:^_^

This is the same back and forth we see with the 1/100 valks. "OMG, they don't look as good as 1/60 toys. OMG, they're not built as good as 1/60 toys." Yeah... the people who PLAY with these smaller scale toys and pay a tiny fraction of the price know that. They enjoy the fun factor and relief of knowing it's essentially a disposable toy and breaking it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you're cool dropping lots more money on bigger toys and you don't mind the durability issues of those bigger toys then pass on these.

Re: Revoltechs vs. Yamatos

Well - fair enough of course to people making the argument about cost, toys, aesthetic etc. Naturally I'm not dumb enough to actually argue that these should be compared, and I understand there are people for whom the idea of dropping a ton of money on a Yamato is crazy.

But.

:)

I personally am trying to underscore that I think this line of reasoning is a tad flawed, and that in the long run, one can find themselves dropping lots of money on - say -Revoltechs over the course of time, and those amounts get pretty big too.... but you don't have much to show for it.

I dunno - I think personally that it would be better to have even just one Yamato than 5 of these things.

Of course people can disagree and do as they like and think otherwise :)

For me, however - there's just no point in getting these - maybe if I didn't collect Yamato valkyrie and love them to death....but then again...not even then...probably... I dunno - I long ago decided that it's best to buy the big ticket items. Maybe this is my girlfriend's fault. And my old ex-boss from the job I had before going out on my own. Both of them spent like there's no tomorrow and basically believed that you only live once and money is just paper anyways so whatever.

That said - I STILL say that these VF-1s also go against the grain of what Revoltech has endeavored to give us - namely anime accurate figures. These are not accurate. So what if they're poseable?

The whole trick is to succeed in making it poseable AND accurate. Anybody can make a super poseable figure of something that has its' accuracy tossed out in favor of making it pose and transform...

I dunno...

We'll see how these do - I just have a sense they won't do well - unless Kaiyodo is bagging on there being tons of people who love what Yamato does but can't afford it?

But then again - come on -Yamato are not THAT expensive. Seriously.

Pete

Sorry Pete. Gotta disagree about that not THAT expensive part. Pre-2007 Lehman Bros collapse, yeah, I agree with you.

Post 2012-type financial disaster, I beg to differ. I'm definitely cutting down on my toy purchases by at least 50%, and I still have the same job with the same pay. My toy collecting/Macross-crazy buddies have all literally send their toy-collecting habits into a long term hiatus. Once, they used to burn US$2K and more per month on toys. Now, it's ZERO. :p:(

everyone conveniently forgets about mylene and ishtar when they complain that Frontier introduced loli and fanservice into the macross universe. Hell, they don't even mention that Macross plus makes a not so subtle nod to the tentacle hentai sub genre.

Anyways... I agree with the admiral. These are transformers priced products, they look appropriate for their price point.

And I can't understand why those who are so bothered by the existence of this toy keep coming back to this thread and torturing themselves. How hard is it to ignore?

You're right, but what's really annoying are those who are bothered by "those who are so bothered". How hard can it be to ignore that?

You're right, but what's really annoying are those who are bothered by "those who are so bothered". How hard can it be to ignore that?

Not as annoying as the bothered by the people who are bothered by the people are bothered argument though. I mean, how dare people try to express their differing opinions. Everything should be the same, the SAME! :rolleyes:

I'm not bothered at all. While it does get tiring (it's an element of EVERY corner of the internet) I actually find the masochism quite amusing.

"I hate this thing, so I'm going to keep looking at it!" :)

And thanks for the link to the latest pics. While I have no doubt this figure will be, generally speaking, a massive failure here at MW (it already is), I'm sure it wont have a problem finding its audience in the rest of the toy collecting world.

Looking at Ngee Khiong pics:

Sorry - but I say that THOSE are super expensive for what you get - and what you get is the following:

Well sculpted arms, legs, a cockpit, wings, a head - all of them will look just dazzling and brilliant seperately. But put them together and icky poo.

That's total fail.

Pete

Hopefully this line is successful so we can get a wide array of different valkyries. I would be curious as to how Revoltech would treat, say the Konig Monster? B))

I must admit, though, those huge ball joints on the hips look worse every time I look at the pics. I could think of plenty of ways they could have done the transformation of the hips & skipped the ball joints completely.

Edited by VenomMacbeth

Thanks for clearing that up. Up until now we were under the mistaken impression that you actually liked them.

:) Heh. Thank for bringing me cheer :) I see your point :)

It's just I wasn't thinking and typed my first reaction to those pictures...even though...it wasn't really different to my reaction to the last pictures..but...

Have you ever noticed that even if you've seen a product once, then when you hear "new pictures" you instinctively hope that they'll be better than the last ones?

At least that's what happens to me, thus my fresh dissapointment with the new pictures :)

Pete