Question about how HLJ fills orders

Ok, so a while back, I set up an order with HLJ for the discounted 1/72 VF-25G kit. Since I didn't want to waste a ton on shipping without packing in a few other things, I added two Fine Molds X-Wings, and a 1/60 Roy.

So, when I placed the order, both the VF-25 and Roy-1S were in stock, with the X-wings being called "low stock." Over time the X-wings got labeled as "sept restock."

Now, it's been a while. The VF-25G is still in stock, the X-Wings are back in "low stock" status, and now the Roy is backordered.

So, my question.. how does HLJ fill orders? If they have stuff in stock, do they set it aside to fill existing orders, or do they wait until everything is in stock at once? Right now, it looks like if I told them to go ahead and ship, I'd only be getting the VF-25 kit, while if I'd told them that earlier, I would've gotten that AND the Roy, and just missed out on the X-wings.

What I'm worried will happen is that they'll hit the 2 month "send anything available" point, and all I'll get for my shipping cost is the VF-25. Would I be better just cancelling the order altogether?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the world of the HLJ ordering system.

If you have various items in the one order that are not all available at the same time they DO NOT place the items they have on hold for you until the others are available. You have to keep checking your account all the time and tell them to ship all available items and yes if you are too slow doing this the item goes on back order.

Use HW Japan. They are far better at handling this. When an item you ordered on a multiple order becomes available they WILL automatically hold it for you until the other items become available. They also seem to fill their backorders quicker that HLJ and a lot of the items that HLJ claim are discontinued are readily available from HW Japan. Their web site is a bit hard to handle at times but you can always research what you are after on other sites then order it from them.

HW Japan are anything up to 30% cheaper than HLJ on day to day items (all Bandai items are at least 20% cheaper), their postage is ALWAYS cheaper, they use SAL Parcel Post (HLJ force you to use EMS if the items can't be sent SAL small packet as for some reason they will not use SAL Parcel), you have the option of EMS with HW Japan but SAL Parcel Post is traceable so why bother and as a cherry on the top they also give you reward points that you can use at any time for discount off any future orders.

Just another question, while we're on the topic:

I ordered a few things this weekend to get into the "free shipping" promo they're doing. I had been monitoring a few items last week and there were some "September restock" items that miraculously became available over the weekend. So I placed my order. I figured it was either a stock mistake from last week, meaning the items were in stock when they said they weren't. Or it's a mistake over the weekend and the items aren't in stock. Anyway, the order got placed and I got a confirmation email stating they'd received the order but wouldn't process until Sep 28th (today). I jumped back onto their web site this morning and noticed that almost everything I'd ordered was now either out of stock, or discontinued!

So the question is, is there the slightest chance HLJ have allocated the stock I ordered and have updated the stock levels online to reflect the orders placed over the weekend? Or is it more likely they've realised, "crap, we don't have any of this in stock now!" and have updated their stock levels to reflect that?

Either way, I'm a bit worried this order will have to be cancelled due to lack of anything being available to ship.

After reading your post I've just checked what I had ordered from this free post promo. Yesterday the open order page showed all items were waiting to ship or whatever it shows when you tell them to ship all available items. Now it's showing up as it normally does with availability next to all the items so I've had to tell them to ship all available items again :rolleyes:

If the order stuffs again I'll just cancel the lot, after all even with the free postage it still isn't worth the hassles and the savings from buying the items from HLJ as opposed to HW Japan is minimal.

By entering into the billing agreement you were giving hlj the right to take the money directly out of your account when the order was ready to ship so you won't be getting an invoice from them. I just got a receipt of payment for my order from paypal. If you don't get one soon you may want to contact them.

Just a quick update: Looks like my fears were unfounded - my order is in processing and has already been paid for. Looks like all my stuff was in stock. Also looks like their system updates stock in real time after you've placed an order. That also means someone can make an order, the stock gets allocated and for example, lets say there was only one of an item and that's the one you ordered. The stock would then get set to zero. So if someone else comes along after your order has been placed, they'll see it out of stock. If the first person cancels the order, stock would then go back up to 1 and person number two could order.

I'm guessing that's what happened for me - I looked for a few items last week and they were showing out of stock. Either someone canceled a pending or order, or the stock actually got replenished. Either way, this looks like it explains why all the items I'd ordered didn't show as being in stock after I ordered them.

I hope I didn't just make everyone more confused than when I started!

By entering into the billing agreement you were giving hlj the right to take the money directly out of your account when the order was ready to ship so you won't be getting an invoice from them. I just got a receipt of payment for my order from paypal. If you don't get one soon you may want to contact them.

Yep, got the receipt today. Free shipping ^_^

Thanks