The protagonist you like the least

ff95gj

The protagonist you like the least (or hate the most)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which male protagonist you like the least or hate the most?

• Hikaru (SDF/DYRL)
    • Hibiki (M II)
    • Shin (M0)
    • Isamu (M+)
    • Guld (M+)
    • Basara (M7)
    • Gamlin (M7)
    • Alto (MF)
  2. 2. Which female protagonist you like the least or hate the most?

• Minmay (SDF/ DYRL)
    • Misa (SDF/ DYRL)
    • Ishtar (M II)
    • Silvie (M II)
    • Sara (M0)
    • Mao (M0)
    • Myung (M+)
    • Mylene (M7)
    • Sheryl (MF)
    • Ranka (MF)

Well, that was predictable... lots and lots of hate for Basara, and a fair bit of dislike split beween Ranka Lee, Sara Nome, and Mylene Jenius.

I cast my votes for Basara and Sara... Basara for being a clueless, self-absorbed pillock, and Sara Nome for being an obnoxious and dogmatic.

Isamu and Sheryl for me.

I love Macross Plus. It's my favorite behind the original series. But Isamu is a completely self-centred apeface who acts with criminal disregard for human life when he gets his nose bent out of joint. Guld is not far behind but he's a more sympathetic character.

Sheryl is just annoying. She's hot and all but I couldn't give two hoots about her or her plight. Again she's just self-centred and Alto chases after her... because... um, why again? Famous and hot? Yeah. Not much depth there.

ISheryl is just annoying. She's hot and all but I couldn't give two hoots about her or her plight. Again she's just self-centred and Alto chases after her... because... um, why again? Famous and hot? Yeah. Not much depth there.

Alto chases after her...? Did we watch the same series? 'Cause it seems to me that he had AMPLE opportunity to hook up with her, and simply failed to exert the effort to.

OP's definition of protagonist has to be revised somewhat. after all, if it's simply "in a love triangle", then Kaifun is in. and Sivil. and Gigil. and Sharon Apple. :p

I mean, a main character and in a love triangle. 16.gif

Cuz originally I put Focker in as a protagonist of M0, but then felt unsure whether he is one. Then I noticed the patterns of the others (all involved in some affairs) and decided to define that way.

I chose Basara and Sara Nome...

Shin is boring, but Basara is irritating. And you only see Shin for several episodes and you get to see Basara for 49+.

Basically I hate no female lead characters in Macross. So just to state the one I like the least, I would choose Sara. Never liked anyone too religious (no offense to anyone...), and she is a boring character. Myung would be the second boring one.

BTW, come to think of it, I feel pretty much the same between Hikaru and Alto - they are not really boring, but kind of bland when compared to people around them. Focker/ Ozma, Max/ Michael, etc. The girls around them also overshadow them in some way...

Edit: Wow. I didn't know Mylene is so hated. May I ask what in particular people hate her? :)

Edited by ff95gj

I voted for Shin and Ranka.

I was going to vote for Hibiki but i ended voting for Shin because well he was really meh or boring, even Alto and Basara are much much better in my opinion.

And i don´t hate Ranka (that much) but she was really irritating in some episodes so she won my vote.

Basically I hate no female lead characters in Macross. So just to state the one I like the least, I would choose Sara. Never liked anyone too religious (no offense to anyone...), and she is a boring character. Myung would be the second boring one.

Both Sara and Myung are actually boring characters for me, but Myung wins out in the "least-liked" department for playing the "victim" card a bit too often, and for being a bit too emo for my taste.

To provide a little more substance to what is basically a favorite thread, I'll add some reasons in addition to my choices and then a brief blurb about the other character choices.

Which male protagonist you like the least or hate the most?

Shin (M0) is easily the dullest, most humorless and tiresome Macross protagonist ever. I'd almost rather watch Shinji mope and whine through 26 episodes of Evangelion than be subjected to Shin for even one of Macross Zero's 5 uninspiring episodes.

Which female protagonist you like the least or hate the most?

Mylene (M7) is quite possibly one of the most extraneous Macross lead characters ever written. Almost every attempt at drama for Mylene is forced and her cuteness/absurdity is almost pointless in the context of a series saturated in kawaii and the absurd.

Personal thoughts on the other choices:

Hikaru (SDF/DYRL) is an archetypal everyman dramatized perfectly on nearly every level except for the lengthy romantic plot that needlessly extended part of his character credibility

Hibiki (M II) Forgiving the contrived love story of MII, Hibiki is a defined character with interesting motives but better suited as supporting cast rather than lead

Isamu (M+) More passion than character, Isamu is somewhat thinly written but is nonetheless interesting and a whole helluva lot of fun to watch in action.

Guld (M+) is definitely one of the most mentally anguished and dramatically compelling characters Macross has ever produced.

Basara (M7) is not a character, he's a plot device with about as much personality as an inverse tachyon pulse.

Gamlin (M7) is an underrated character whose slow and tragically underutilized arc would make for an interesting character in a much better series.

Alto (MF) An entertaining hot headed kid full of bluster and daring, Alto was always easy to cheer for and fun to laugh at as the butt of many a gender joke.

Minmay (SDF/ DYRL) more annoying than redeemable, Minmay did develop in the eleventh hour of SDFM and gained some post-series credibility through DYRL and FB2012

Misa (SDF/ DYRL) is one of the most respectable and sympathetic characters ever created in Macross. She's one of the shining stars and her credibility is retained even throughout the overly long SDFM romantic plot.

Ishtar (M II) ultimately limited by the terribly forced romantic plot of MII, this character at least had some potential undermined by a lousy script.

Silvie (M II) another victim of the awful MII romantic plot, there were several missed opportunities to add mystery or character to Silvie but she remained flat.

Sara (M0) She is equal parts infuriating and passionate, thus achieving mixed results. Sara suffers most as a mouth piece for Kawamori's rhetoric.

Mao (M0) Mao is exuberant and easy to like, but doesn't really do much. At least she's a breath of fresh air in an otherwise dour series.

Myung (M+) is hard to like when she spends most of M+ wallowing in self-pity, but she does slowly gain credibility and then redemption in the finale.

Sheryl (MF) Easily one of the most admirable, sympathetic and engaging female characters in Macross, Sheryl was put through hell and yet she survived to become stronger, wiser and more mature.

Ranka (MF) Ranka is a hit/miss character that relies more upon her place in plot and her music than actual character development. Tolerable, but not much else.

Dag.

As usual, I have the opposite sentiments from the majority. Seems my heroes Basara and my one true love Ranka get the most votes in this poll...

Meanwhile - I have voted for Isamu and Myung.

I certainly don't "hate" them. The are fine as characters, but I just don't particularly worship the ground they walk on, which is less than I can say for the others who I feel passionately attached to to more or lesser degrees.

As for Alto chasing after Sheryl ...

Actually it's the other way around - Sheryl chases after Alto because she (Alto) is hot.

Pete

While I don't hate any of the protagonists listed, here are the ones I liked least.

Male Protagonist

Shin - Another cookie-cutter emo protagonist. Next!

Runner up - Hibiki - He's a pretty unique protagonist in the Macross universe, but the script never really made me care for him.

Female Protagonist

Mao - Err, who was she again? :p

Runner up - Myung - She was depressing and immature, a difficult combination to like. Though she did finally take a stand in the end and also sang a beautiful song.

As always, poor Nexx is left out. He was in the love triangle, after all, being the "propaganda" love interest of Sylvie. Oh, well, no one could vote for him as worst protagonist anyway, he's too cool.

Going back on topic, It's funny that the most hated male main characters are the ones I like the most (Basara & Hibiki - Most of you people seem to really have a problem with pacifist ^_^). Since a choice had to be made, Shin got my vote, but I don't really think he's a bad character.

As for female charas, I have absolutely no doubt: Ranka all the way.

Cuz originally I put Focker in as a protagonist of M0, but then felt unsure whether he is one. )

He is, but honestly, who would vote against Roy?

Edited by nexxstrait

My choices:

Alto: He hates being called a princess, yet refuses to cut his hair or at least take that silly ribbon off. And why is he aways angry? No explanation. Why are all the girls attracted to him? No explanation. Why is he so fascinated with flying? No explanation. Overall, there is no reason for him to be the main character of the show. He could have been the side "fruity" character and someone else taken us along the ride through the story and it all would have been much more enjoyable. Instead he's pretty much a spoilt heir to royalty whining about his life not being perfect enough.

Sheryl: It was a tough choice between her and Ranka. I think it's her "Do you know who I am? I'm Sheryl Nome!!" that really disgusts me. "I'm the best and everyone loves me and you should be glad you're even within a mile of me and, oh crap, I'm dying, now you should feel sad for me..." Go cry me a river. Oh yeah, then she dressed up as Alto's mother and they slept together! Seriously... Issues??!?! Hello!? :rolleyes:

I guess those two spoilt idiots really are a perfect match.

I haven't really liked ANY protagonist except for Hikaru. His voyage of self-discovery and growth really made Macross SDF work brilliantly, which contrasted nicely with Minmei's inability to grow-up.

Alto on the other hand is like so many other current protagonists of a lot of anime, a whiny little kid with 'issues'. I wish Frontier had actually focused on Ozma - a much more interesting character.

Figures, I leave town for a couple days and this thread appears and fills up pretty rapidly. Just as well, I'm not totally sure. Basara's the only Macross protagonist I disliked enough to interfere with my interest in the series, but at least he was distinct so I'm not sure if that's actually worse than the really forgettable ones(Hibiki who? Shin wha?).

Alto: He hates being called a princess, yet refuses to cut his hair or at least take that silly ribbon off. And why is he aways angry? No explanation. Why are all the girls attracted to him? No explanation. Why is he so fascinated with flying? No explanation. Overall, there is no reason for him to be the main character of the show. He could have been the side "fruity" character and someone else taken us along the ride through the story and it all would have been much more enjoyable. Instead he's pretty much a spoilt heir to royalty whining about his life not being perfect enough.

Alto wasn't the strongest character and his flaws push a lot of fans' buttons, so I can't fault him getting some votes here. On the other hand, a couple of points there are unfair. It was amply enough explained why the girls went for him (Sheryl: first guy who treated her as a person rather than a star, Ranka: the pretty boy that saved her life), but more importantly, why does it matter why he's so fascinated with flying? Other Macross protagonists don't need a reason to want to be pilots. A reason to fight, sure enough, but a reason to fly? In Macross anything, a love of flight is as natural as a love of breathing, so asking the question of Alto in particular seems out of place.

Great to see tastes differ. Hard to make a choice. Isamu is the most self absorbed annoying jerk in Macross but he does live up to the role. Alto can't make up his mind (recurring theme) if he is a hotblooded character or not. Gamlin and Shin are bland. Gam's rather unsavory pursuit of Mylene does make him lose points. What is worse, loving to hate a character, or the absence of caring about them? Hmm, Isamu it is.

The leading ladies: Ranka still seems to suffer from her moe-blob turned traitor image if the poll is any indication but she has grown on me. Wish the character design was less hideous. Myun is a tragic character but never comes to life . A singer who can't compete with the image of her virtual counterpart (cruel analogy to Mari Ijima?). She has a an even worse character design than Ranka. Can't say I feel strongly about Sara in neither a positive or negative way. Myun it is.

Edited by Bri

Alto wasn't the strongest character and his flaws push a lot of fans' buttons, so I can't fault him getting some votes here. On the other hand, a couple of points there are unfair. It was amply enough explained why the girls went for him (Sheryl: first guy who treated her as a person rather than a star, Ranka: the pretty boy that saved her life), but more importantly, why does it matter why he's so fascinated with flying? Other Macross protagonists don't need a reason to want to be pilots. A reason to fight, sure enough, but a reason to fly? In Macross anything, a love of flight is as natural as a love of breathing, so asking the question of Alto in particular seems out of place.

Isamu was a sky nut too. But more of the sky "Are you crazy type". Alto was more understandable as his whole life he's never been on a planet till Galia 4. It frakkin blew up! (Actually half of it imploded but you get what I mean.)

(Now where is that pic of Alto as Charlton Heston?) :huh:

Gamlin became a pilot because he saw a cool plane trick as a kid during a funeral.

Hikaru wouldn't settle down with Minmay as that relationship will have him grounded.