taksraven

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I tried to describe it to my wife before she saw the trailer: "It's like Little Big World - The Apocalypse." She wasn't impressed. After seeing the trailer, she's willing to sit through it while 8 months pregnant.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I tried to describe it to my wife before she saw the trailer: "It's like Little Big World - The Apocalypse." She wasn't impressed. After seeing the trailer, she's willing to sit through it while 8 months pregnant.

Don't you mean Little Big Planet? :p

The music in the trailer felt out of place...

Edited by shiroikaze

The music in the trailer felt out of place...

That's what I thought. While I'm excited for the film as it looks very visually interesting, I'm kind of hoping the "rock" music in the trailers isn't throughout the film. During the end credits is fine, if they must, but the visuals of this movie demand orchestration or something more interesting than generic angst rock.

I think the music in the trailer is only for the trailer. I did a search and it turns out the rock part is a Coheed and Cambria song.

At first I thought the music was kind of out of place, but then I realized that it completely threw your expectations in the trailer. A pretty nifty marketing idea, methinks.

According to IMDB, the gal who does original music for the film also did music for Hellboy I and II, X2, and George Lucas in Love. So I think we're safe for the theatrical musical score.

saw it, starts out pretty cool, then starts a steady slide into a total wtf ending in regards to plot. visually, it is neato cool.

i really cannot recommend it due to the story going into the realm of headache causing silliness for the last quarter of the movie.

looks great, better watching it as a rental.

Visually it's a great film, but there are huge plot holes and aside from the main character you don't really care about the rest of the doll/puppet things. To be honest, it felt like you were watching a video game translated to the movie screen, the plot, characters, and even the script writing felt like video game dialogue, which is probably why you only care about the main character since he's the obvious focal point, they spend no time at all developing other characters. The other problem this film has is target audience, most adults won't watch it (except those who are fans of animated films), most kids can't watch it (it's scary by children standards), and most tweens won't understand it (the stories not complex but tweens are idiots). The highlight is definitely character design, which again, made it feel like a video game, you have your typical burly giant, your super fast skilled soldier, your clerics, your main character who becomes better through experience, the disenchanted elder, and a savant. Looks like they just ripped their character personas right out of a video game, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable, familiar if anything.

Edited by emajnthis

Visually it's a great film, but there are huge plot holes and aside from the main character you don't really care about the rest of the doll/puppet things. To be honest, it felt like you were watching a video game translated to the movie screen, the plot, characters, and even the script writing felt like video game dialogue, which is probably why you only care about the main character since he's the obvious focal point, they spend no time at all developing other characters. The other problem this film has is target audience, most adults won't watch it (except those who are fans of animated films), most kids can't watch it (it's scary by children standards), and most tweens won't understand it (the stories not complex but tweens are idiots). The highlight is definitely character design, which again, made it feel like a video game, you have your typical burly giant, your super fast skilled soldier, your clerics, your main character who becomes better through experience, the disenchanted elder, and a savant. Looks like they just ripped their character personas right out of a video game, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable, familiar if anything.

im rather disappointed had high hope yet another summer or later summer dud

movies are overrated. I think actors should be laid off and forced to drive ladas. the rest of americans suffer through unemployement, machinations by corp elites and leaders and these fannies continue to rake in the cash. Toss them into the boston river where the tea went and lets get back to basics GOOD BOOKS

Saw it last night and really liked it.

Yes - many of the comments here about character development are true.

But I love detail and IMAGINATION. The world they paint is vidid down to tiniest scrap. You could feel the fabric, wood and copper they were made out of.

I also like the 'Advanced Tech in Retro World' theme - its done well.

It borrows a bit from Terminator sky patrols as the balloon things glide over head, but it still comes off unique and scary. The Lord of the Rings far off place of dread and doom is here too.

And it seems to borrow a good bit from the robots in the Matrix birthing fields scene.

Still, all in all - my 7 tear old, 20 something year old brother-in-law and my 37 year old self all appreciated it.

Saw it last night and really liked it.

Yes - many of the comments here about character development are true.

But I love detail and IMAGINATION. The world they paint is vidid down to tiniest scrap. You could feel the fabric, wood and copper they were made out of.

I also like the 'Advanced Tech in Retro World' theme - its done well.

It borrows a bit from Terminator sky patrols as the balloon things glide over head, but it still comes off unique and scary. The Lord of the Rings far off place of dread and doom is here too.

And it seems to borrow a good bit from the robots in the Matrix birthing fields scene.

Still, all in all - my 7 tear old, 20 something year old brother-in-law and my 37 year old self all appreciated it.

I have to agree. I enjoyed it but it is flawed. I think it probably got mishandled at some point as the studio wants to get that soccer mom money that this film just isnt really about.

I agree with most of the comments. I saw the trailer and had high hopes going into it. Visually it doesn't disappoint, but I agree with others that I wish they had spent more time on character development. I wanted to like the characters, but the don't give you much to latch on to and identify with. And, they really don't give you a lot of time to think about it either. I thought the pacing was a little off as it seemed like they used the absolute minimal amount of setup before jumping into the action. I thought the ending could have been better, although it wasn't exactly the Hollywood happy ending which I can appreciate. Even if things had ended up the same as when the movie started it still would have been a pretty depressing ending with really no hope for the future.

I would recommend this for the hardcore animation or sci-fi fan, but for the rest it is probably a rental. An interesting movie that is worth a look if only for the visual style and action sequences.

I started watching these reviews on youtube and I would agree with these guys assessment of the movie. Plus, they make me laugh at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgqjrlxItQ

I saw it, and I'll agree with most of the comments here. It was good but not perfect, looked neat, was a neat idea but maybe could have used a little more time in the oven.

I saw it Sunday morning and there were two groups in front of me at the theatre, a father with his 6ish year old daughter and a woman with two boys that were probably in the 4 to 7 range. During an early scene in the movie there is a dead human child and at that point one of the kidss started crying and both parents immediately ushered their kids out of the theatre and weren't seen again.

I guess people just see animation in a trailer and assume "kids movie". D'oh!

BTW, the back of the 9 figures refer to the style as stitchpunk. I guess it is a variation on steampunk. Just thought you would like to know.

Cool, I didn't even notice that the first time I read through the bio on the back.

Did you open your figures? Just curious what you think. I really like the 9 figure. The detail is fantastic. It would have been nice to have some cut joints at the shoulders to help give the bendy arms more life, but oh well.

What I would love to see is Hot Toys make some 9 figures. I envision them having internal skeletons, real burlap, real metal zippers, light-up eyes, articulated fingers....*droool*