The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day, the much-anticipated sequel to the 1999 cult classic The Boondock Saints, hits theaters on October 30. Troy Duffy returns to the director's chair on this one, while Sean Patrick Flanery (The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles) and Norman Reedus (Detective Reilly in American Gangster) reprise their roles as Irish brothers Connor and Murray McManus, respectively. Also returning from the first film are Scottish comedian Billy Connolly as Noah "Il Duce" McManus, Bob Marley (the comedian, not the reggae singer) as Detective Greenly, David Ferry as Detective Dolly, Brian Mahoney as Detective Duffy and comedian David Della Rocco as "The Funny Man" Rocco (in a flashback scene, as he was killed in the first film). Willem Dafoe will not reprise his role as FBI Special Agent Paul Smecker due to various reasons.

Joining the cast will be Julie Benz (Rita in Dexter, Sarah in Rambo) as FBI Agent Eunice Bloom, Clifton Collins, Jr. as Romeo, Peter Fonda (Wyatt in Easy Rider) as The Roman and Judd Nelson (Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime in Transformers: The Movie, John in The Breakfast Club) as Concezio Yakavetta. Apparently, a sub-plot of the film involves revenge, as the McManus Clan executed Mafia Don "Papa" Joe Yakavetta at the end of the first film.

I don't know about you guys, but I definitely can't wait for this film.

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day Official Site

Edited by areaseven

Trailer looks solid. Writing & directing is in place, actors are in place, think I'll relax on this on and not expect the worse. Although Judd Nelson doesn't quite feel right.

Edited by Keith

Love the first one, didn't realize how old it is, but no Dafoe is a HUGE let-down for me...

Yeah because he isn't creepy enough, we need to relive him in drag...

Seriously though, I can't wait. One of the most anticipated films of the year in my book.

I'll admit to having moments when I just scan the first page of a board instead of searching when I'm starting a new topic... but this is on the first page.

I don't know about this. I loved the first movie, but the movie ended on just the right note. It's a movie that didn't need a sequel, and the fact that it's getting one smacks of nothing more than an easy cash-in on the cult-popularity of the first one.

Love the first one, didn't realize how old it is, but no Dafoe is a HUGE let-down for me...

The thing about Dafoe is that he is a method actor, so he immerses himself in every role he plays. But perhaps one of the reasons why he didn't sign for the sequel is that he didn't want people to think he's really gay like his character Smecker in the first film. :ph34r:

Lol I was in a rush to put it up that I did a real quick scan of the first few topics and then posted. It's been a tiring week.

No worries! It looks like a mod combined them anyway. ^_^

Actually Duffy always planned for a sequel and then crash and burned in Hollywood. This has been in the making practically since the end of production of the first one.

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still have my doubts. I guess I'm just jaded.

• 2 months later...
Never even heard of the original movie before.

Graham

The guy in HK never even saw a boot of one of the better movies out at the time? :rolleyes:

After seeing the guy collapse in the Netflix documentary, I could care less if he never gets above minimun-wage fail his entire life. Maybe if the guy got a good dose of modesty and some skill since then.

Loved how the first one ended. Rather curious to see how they intend to develop this further... but will wait for reviews before taking time to watch it anytime soon.

Don't rely on reviews on this one. On Rotten Tomatoes.com, the first film got a 16% rating while this one got 23%. Some critics just don't understand cult classics.

It's still only in limited release so whenever it plays near me i will check it out, right now it is mainly in CA and up north. Which is basically the same market they give to all independent features, it is does well enough it will slowly get a wider release.

• 5 months later...

boondocksaints2.jpg

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Stage 6 Films/Sony Pictures, 2009

Created and Directed by Troy Duffy

Running Time: 117 minutes

Rated R for graphic violence, slight nudity and profanity.

"There's two kinds of people in this world when you boil it all down. You've got your 'talkers' and you've got your 'doers'. Most people are just talkers; all they got is talk. But when all is said and done, it's the doers who change this world. And when they do that, they change us. And that's why we never forget them... So which one are you? Do you just talk about it or do you stand up and do something about it? Because believe you me, all the rest of it is just coffee house bullsh*t." - Rocco

Cast

Sean Patrick Flanery (The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Max in Suicide Kings) as Connor McManus*

Norman Reedus (Detective Reilly in American Gangster, Marco in Deuces Wild) as Murphy McManus*

Billy Connolly (Uncle Monty in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events) as Noah "Il Duce" McManus*

Clifton Collins, Jr. (Ayel in Star Trek, El Huron in Crank: High Voltage) as Romeo

Julie Benz (Rita in Dexter, Darla in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as FBI Special Agent Eunice Bloom

Judd Nelson (Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime in Transformers: The Movie, Bender in The Breakfast Club) as Concezio Yakavetta

Daniel DeSanto as Ottilio Panza

Bob Marley (the comedian, not the singer) as Detective Greenly*

David Ferry as Detective Dolly*

Brian Mahoney as Detective Duffy*

David Della Rocco as "himself" a.k.a. "The Funny Man"*

Peter Fonda (Wyatt in Easy Rider, McElroy in 3:10 to Yuma) as "The Roman"

Gerard Parkes as Doc*

Willem Dafoe (The Last Temptation of Christ, Green Goblin in the Spider-Man trilogy) as Paul Smecker*

*Roles reprised from the first film.

Connor: "You ready for this sh*t, my dear brother?"

Murph: "Let's do some gratuitous violence."

Synopsis

Ten years have passed since fraternal twin brothers Connor and Murphy McManus and their father Noah "Il Duce" McManus, collectively known as "The Saints", publicly executed mafia don "Papa" Joe Yakavetta in a Boston court and disappeared to Ireland. But when Yakavetta's son Concezio hires a hitman to commit a copycat execution on a priest, the brothers travel back to Boston to get some answers and wipe out the mafia. Things, however, are not what they seem to be when parts of Noah's dark past return to haunt him.

Gangster: "'Erin go Braugh'. What the f*ck does that mean?"

Murphy: "It's Irish for 'You're f*cked'!"

Lowdown

Fans have waited ten years for the sequel to the 1999 cult classic The Boondock Saints. Much of the original cast and crew are back, but does The Boondock Saints II deliver?

Yes and no.

Yes, it's great to see the McManus clan in full force again. The movie just isn't what it is without them, especially legendary comedian Billy Connolly. Clifton Collins, Jr. also does a great job as Romeo, the brothers' new Mexican sidekick who is a skilled fighter, but not very bright on everything else.

Romeo: "Who ordered the whoop-ass fajita?"

Murph: "What?"

Connor: "'Whoop-ass fajita'?"

Connor & Muurph: "That's f*ckin' stupid."

Rocco, who was killed in the first film, delivers some outstanding lines during the film's dream sequences. And the detective trio of Greenly, Dolly and Duffy are as comedic as ever. Plus, the film has some excellent performances by Judd Nelson and the legendary Peter Fonda. But perhaps the biggest surprise is the return of Willem Dafoe as Paul Smecker, as he was originally reported not to appear in the film.

So what is wrong with this film?

"Well, since we've already broken the f*ck barrier... allow me to be blunt. It is because I'm so f*cking smart, that I make smart people feel like they are retarded." - Eunice

Julie Benz just doesn't work well in the film as FBI Special Agent Eunice Bloom. Aside from the fake Southern Belle accent, she makes really flat attempts at emulating Smecker's style of investigating crime scenes. During one narration of a crime scene, she is seen wearing a cowgirl outfit, which makes the film unnecessarily cheesier than it should be. An even bigger shame is that two important characters die, but she doesn't.

Despite that character, the film delivers a lot of what you'd expect: over-the-top violence, tongue-in-cheek dialogue and countless uses of the F-word. If you're a fan of the first film, definitely check it out. Otherwise, it's strictly a rental for everyone else.

Rating: B-

DVD Extras: B+

The DVD includes a behind-the-scenes documentary and a conversation with Billy Connolly and director Troy Duffy. The film has an optional commentary track with Duffy and Willem Dafoe. There are also two deleted scenes as well.

Links

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day Official Site

References

The Internet Movie Database

"That was one of the finest examples of spiritual guidance I've ever had the good fortune to witness." - Murph

I don't lknow, I loved her in that cowgirl outfit. All in all, I liked it, even if it was a bit more slapstick than the first film. But my real question, wtf happened to Sean Patrick Flannery, he seriously looks like sh!t.

I saw it from a Redbox rental and I'd agree it's worth a dollar.

I always thought the first one was waaaay overrated. The 2nd one was... eh...

Now, what you guys have to see is a documentary called OVERNIGHT. lol Anyone heard of it? It's about the director of these movies. Entertaining than both movies combined. =D Look it up on the net.

Now, what you guys have to see is a documentary called OVERNIGHT. lol Anyone heard of it? It's about the director of these movies. Entertaining than both movies combined. =D Look it up on the net.

Yeah, I mentioned it a while back. The documentary about Duffy's 15 minutes was far more entertaining than the actual movie he directed. I highly recommend Overnight for fans and non-fans alike :)

Yeah, I mentioned it a while back. The documentary about Duffy's 15 minutes was far more entertaining than the actual movie he directed. I highly recommend Overnight for fans and non-fans alike :)

Sorry. Sometimes I don't exactly read every single post in the thread.

But you're dead on. Very entertaining. What an ass he was. But I'm sure he learned his lesson.

Although his films are nothing great, there's some talent there.

Considering i quite liked the first movie, i was looking forward to this one.

AWFUL AWFUL FILM!!!

In the first scenes of the brothers "tooling" up at their farm in Ireland i almost i had to turn it off right there and then. Too much cliched crap.

That scene bothered you the most? I'm surprised. I do admit that it was a bit over the top in cliche-ness - especially the shower scenes, but it was far from the weakest part of the film - which was Julie Benz. I swear, her character in the film is equivalent to Jar Jar Binks in the entire Star Wars franchise.

That scene bothered you the most? I'm surprised. I do admit that it was a bit over the top in cliche-ness - especially the shower scenes, but it was far from the weakest part of the film - which was Julie Benz. I swear, her character in the film is equivalent to Jar Jar Binks in the entire Star Wars franchise.

Frankly I kept expecting Eunice to turn out to be Smecker post op/sex change.